Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungal Hi-Fi
Jul 26, 2009

vibrantglow posted:

My Harmon/Kardon HK670 (made in either '79 or '80) has started to make very loud crackling sounds through the speakers when I turn it on. It also does this when I turn it off, and continues to do so for up to a minute.

Could this be related to capacitors? Any ideas about what is causing this?

I had a HK380i (from 1980 or 1981) that did a similar thing, repairs were estimated at over 200$ by a tech. They pop up used for 50 to 75$ on CL et al, and I bought a used Sansui 551 to replace it.

I opened it months later and all the caps in the preamp section were leaking (brown goo on and under the board), with two banks of diodes/transistors melted to their heatsinks.

Amazingly it sprung back to life with copious amounts of Deoxit, but I stored it immediately as I felt it was more of a fire hazard than anything else. Still, it played fine when I turned the power on, and then engaged the A/B speaker switch after 1-2 minutes.

For your model, the service manual can be found at http://manuals.harman.com/HK/service%20Manual/HK670%20sm.pdf and lists all the capacitor values, which is useful since finding them in situ can be a pain with 30+ years of dust on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU