Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/fuo/1491831942.html Is this a good value? I'm tempted but I'm not all that knowledgeable on older items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I know this is more for vintage items and all but Insound is going out of business and they have 35% off site wide so in case anyone needs to get any new vinyl. The turntables are also on discount so I ended up buying a Rega RP1 w/ performance pack for less than what the Rega RP1 usually goes for.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Does anyone have a rega rp1 performance or a project debut carbon?
I'm looking at getting a half decent, aesthetically attractive turntable to play my records.
Budget of £300 which both of those seem to be.
I'm not really interested in messing about for now. Just want something that sounds and looks nice.

I got an RP1 w/ performance pack since I got it new for the same price as a regular RP1. I get compliments on it all the time since it's so clean and minimalistic. My roomie hates it since she's used to automatics and thinks it's too complicated (it's not).

I'm thinking of getting a separate phono stage to upgrade the one in my receiver and then god, I guess I'll upgrade my speakers. Getting into audio stuff is a long expensive rabbit hole.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

So if I buy either of the tables plus a tc750 I am good to go?

You'll still need an amp+speakers or powered speakers.

As I said, it's a deep expensive rabbit hole but hey, at least either player will look sexy.

Animale fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 28, 2015

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I think the thing I hated more about the floating record player is that you have to screw the record in.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Ashex posted:

That was my first thought but they're out of stock and going for €80-90 on eBay.

Yeah, I'm honestly probably going to just do that and make sure they don't go for the shittiest portable player. They're looking at this model I've never heard of.

Edit: Going to Get this thing but I have to go the route of ebay as Amazon DE has them marked up to €90.
Check out a Lenco L85. They're fairly budget friendly last I checked.

They're also 90 EUR on the Amazon DE :/

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Cool. Thanks for the recommendations! Craigslist around here is pretty bad, unfortunately.

Check out Som, they usually have a few refurbished record players for sale.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

What's a decent belt-driven turntable? $300-600 bucks is my range.

And this is a massive newb question but I can probably hook up my AMP/DAC to the turntable then pop my headphones into that right?

The Rega Planar 1 should be under $500. You'll also need a phone preamp to convert the teeny signal from the turntable to a line level that your amp can make out.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I feel special, I replaced my first cartridge without destroying anything. The dog jumped into the table while I was playing something and the needle became toast (and scratched up a Yeah Yeah Yeahs lp). I ended up upgrading my Rega Bias to an Elys 2 since I already have a Rega phono preamp that's designed for their cartridges.

Anyway, how isn't there a standard plug and play method to just plug in a new cartridge? I'm sure it's due to customization purposes. Aside from the high end Ortofon Black that plugs into S-shaped tone arms, is there another one that lets you unscrew a part and plug it in? It's silly that in this year of our Lord 2021 you still need a protractor to verify that your cartridge is setup correctly.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
CC audio was truly a great little device at an insanely cheap price point. My only issue is that it streamed Spotify at a lower bitrate than my home theater amp that has Spotify Connect (I also tried Tidal Hifi on CC Audio and that sounded much better but I just didn't like the interface and having to start over after using Spotify for years), hoping that the eventual (never releasing) upgrade to CD quality finally ends up fixing that.

Anyway, I spent time looking for an additional network streamer and and the cheapest and closest I got to what I wanted was from Arylic. Check out the S10, looks to be $80 and requires that you use their app but it should allow you to stream Spotify. Ultimately I didn't end up buying the bigger brother since I wanted to just use the native Spotify app. https://www.arylic.com/products/s10-wireless-preamplifier

Edit: I was wrong, the S10 has Spotify Connect so you can stream directly from the native Spotify app.

Animale fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 3, 2021

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I have one of these on the way: https://www.ttvjaudio.com/Dr-Feickert-Protractor-NG-p/drf0000001.htm

Has anyone in the thread used them? I've read such good things and hope I didn't make a horrible mistake!
https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Phonograph-Cartridge-Protractor-Separately/dp/B079ZBLJ4M

This is what I got, I did go a bit crazy and got the mirrored version which was about a dollar more.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

The Bandit posted:

I used a piece of paper and a 40+ year old shure force gage to set mine up…

It looks like it doesn't even have a stylus force gauge to so he'll need something else. Might I recommend this digital one for only $300.
https://www.musicdirect.com/accessories/Clearaudio-Weight-Watcher-Touch-Electronic-Stylus-Force-Gauge

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Bonxai posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my AT-LP120X to a ML stylus, and I can't figure out if I just need to get the stylus or replace the whole cartridge. Apparently the ML stylus is compatible with my current AT-VM95E cartridge, but if you buy the ML stylus bundled with a cartridge it comes with a AT-VM95ML cart. Basically trying to figure out which of these I should buy:

ML Stylus: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...07JL2NPH5&psc=1
or
ML Stylus + Cart: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...07JLYHFR9&psc=1

From audio Technica's website, All VM95 models have removable styli and the same body design, enabling vinyl enthusiasts to interchange and upgrade any VM95 cartridge with any VM95 stylus type.

So you're good with just the stylus.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Why would you ever use that product? Vinyls are not portable and that seems like it only has advantages when on the go.

Because it's called Sound Burger. It's a burger for sound! :burger:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
That's cool, it looks like a spaceship.