Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
That doesn't really do much to clean it if you've been playing dirty old records. A stylus brush with cleaner will use solvents to dissolve gunk and the brush wipes it away. Pushing it into some rubber isn't going to do much.

Those roller brushes are really only good for pulling off some amount of hair and loose dirt on already clean records. It doesn't remove oils, finger goo, smaller particles of dust and debris embedded in the goo in the tiny record grooves, etc, etc. You need soap and water and some sort of cloth/brush to clean it properly, and only needs to be done very, very infrequently. Old records are usually nasty AF so it's worth cleaning them as you buy them in batches. Your stylus will last longer and the records will sound better.

I find the conductive carbon fiber record brushes do a better job of brushing off the hair and dust and whatnot and do help a little with static if you hold something grounded while you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

large hands posted:

just cue the stylus into a piece of magic eraser a couple of times. iirc people with microscopes have confirmed that this does as good a job at cleaning as anything else you can buy

You have to be very careful brushing the stylus, cantilevers are extremely easy to bend

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that trick

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What is wrong with the turntable right now? Have you tried it yet?

Why not just do all 3? CD is still great, well mastered/looked after cheap vinyl is great, high res/CD -res streamed music is good too. I wouldn't get too caught up in a single format. Especially DSD specifically. I check the thrift stores and stuff oftenand you'll find an SACD once in a while, their case is pretty distinctive so they're easy to pick out.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Don Dongington posted:

Hey folks,

I've got a JVC JA-S55 integrated amp that was gifted to me a few years ago, and has mostly sat unused since. I noticed the other day when giving it a run that the output is noticeably down on one channel, and that it's actually visible on the VU meter. Seems to be the case regardless of the input etc.

I have the original manual in a drawer which i recall has block diagrams and what not, and I'm a pretty decent solderer, but don't have a huge amount of experience working with amps and such. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with regard to what I should be pointing a multimeter at?

I don't think it's a dirty switch/pot/contact, as I gave them a solid clean not that long ago, and the issue doesn't seem to improve/deteriorate regardless of what I do with the controls. Thinking maybe a deteriorating cap or something?

It's best to do a good visual check first. Be careful with capacitors, discharge them if you know how to do it safely, and then look for bulging caps, blown out or slightly burnt resistors, check the transistors where they'll probably be mounted on a heatsink, just give it a thorough check. More often than not the broken part will be obvious.

Next step is probably testing caps, yeah

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
N'thing the Fosi Audio or similarly good Chinese amps, they're outrageously good for the price and form factor

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

I've got a pair of Acoustic Research AR91s at the moment but some Sansui SP-2700s have popped up and I really like the look of them. With the size of the apartment I can only have one or the other, and the room the stereo is in is quite small. The Sansui really go a lot better with our decor but the ARs aren't bad looking by any stretch. Would this be a straight up downgrade or will this have to be a "listen and find out" situation? I'd have to sell what I've got before I could pick up anything new and I don't wanna do something dumb, I don't really know enough about speaker stats to do a side by side comparison just on the data sheets alone.

AR91 Specs

Sansui Specs

Personally I wouldn't bother. Those speakers have so many different drivers and controls and such that you'd probably have to overhaul all of the internal crossover components to get it to sound nice, and that's assuming that the cones and foam and all that stuff are in good condition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

The AR91s sound great to me and I'm not in a rush to upgrade, it's just the opportunity. Budget would be about $500 - $1000 AUD, about the range the 91s could be sold for. I'm not after a fully period correct setup, what I have currently is a Denon DP-57L turntable, Fosi Audio BT10D amp and a Phono Box S2 pre.

I really like the wooden grills on the the Sansui, everything in mid-century, lots of wood, wanting to keep that aesthetic. I need to take a better pic of the setup but this'll give you an idea of the aesthetic for now:

Check out the walnut cased Kef Q350's, they're gorgeous and sound amazing. You'd probably want a small sub to go with them but they've still got plenty of oomph on their own