Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My father gave me his old setup a while ago which I repaired and installed in the loungeroom, absolutely love it. Everything needed a recap, some dry solder joints needed fixing and the output wires on the TT needed to be replaced but it's all 100% now. On top of that I got a new perspex cover fabricated for it cause the old smoky grey one was scratched to poo poo.

The turntable is a Denon DP57-L, Phono and amp is a Luxman C-02 and M-02, speakers are Acoustic Research AR91.

I also found out my father was an audiophile as he was telling me he bought directional speaker cables and I needed to make sure they were installed the correct way for them to sound their best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Honestly I don't know, this is really my introduction to turntables (I'm very lucky). I think it might be what they call Q-Damping?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's the drummer from Big Black

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I have that Fosi and for a pre-amp I've got the Phono-Box S2 for the as it can handle MM and MC carts. My input switcher is bigger than both and that's only because it was the smallest one I could find with a built in Bluetooth receiver.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Also if anyone does know of a smaller source switcher with integrated bluetooth I'm all ears. Ideally just 2 sources, bluetooth and whatever line is plugged in the back and a single output.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've got a pair of Acoustic Research AR91s at the moment but some Sansui SP-2700s have popped up and I really like the look of them. With the size of the apartment I can only have one or the other, and the room the stereo is in is quite small. The Sansui really go a lot better with our decor but the ARs aren't bad looking by any stretch. Would this be a straight up downgrade or will this have to be a "listen and find out" situation? I'd have to sell what I've got before I could pick up anything new and I don't wanna do something dumb, I don't really know enough about speaker stats to do a side by side comparison just on the data sheets alone.

AR91 Specs

Sansui Specs

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The AR91s sound great to me and I'm not in a rush to upgrade, it's just the opportunity. Budget would be about $500 - $1000 AUD, about the range the 91s could be sold for. I'm not after a fully period correct setup, what I have currently is a Denon DP-57L turntable, Fosi Audio BT10D amp and a Phono Box S2 pre.

I really like the wooden grills on the the Sansui, everything in mid-century, lots of wood, wanting to keep that aesthetic. I need to take a better pic of the setup but this'll give you an idea of the aesthetic for now:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye out.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm always down to recommend the Pro-ject Phono Box S2. It's small, neutral and supports both MM and MC cartridges so if you change in the future you won't need to also change your pre-amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

For Aussies, JB HiFi are having a deep sale on the Soundburger.