Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Okay, I have no idea if this goes here. It's vintage but not vinyl. I have that covered. This is about what my vinyl collection has led me to.

Laserdisc.

I have recently come into possession of a large number of laserdiscs and a couple of players. I would like to hook it up to my main TV and surround sound system.

The receiver is a Sony STR-ZA810ES. I inherited it when my father passed a few years ago. It's modern and great. I have it hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound system.
The laserdisc player is a Pioneer CLD-V2600. It seems to be working fine hooked up to an older TV.
The TV I normally use is an LG...something. It's modern, 70" ish and 4k.

The problem is that my receiver won't convert the composite video signal to HDMI. The audio works, but for video I'd need a single composite video out from the receiver to the TV... which only has HDMI and coax inputs. No composite anything.

I'm also hoping it doesn't look like poo poo on such a big TV.

What are my options (other than just buying blu-ray or streaming things like everybody else)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Enos Cabell posted:

A composite to HDMI converter should work https://www.amazon.com/s?k=composite+to+hdmi+converter.

I've got a stack of old laserdiscs but haven't had a working player in probably 20 years. I do have a working RCA Selectavision player hooked up to my garage tv with several boxes full of CEDs though.

Just ordered one. In the meantime I'm playing around with an old video-to-coax adapter that I think I last used with an NES. It isn't working, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Now that I've discovered this thread, I may as well post my hardware.

I originally inherited a bunch of 90s stuff when my dad passed away a few years ago. Receiver was a Kenwood KA-5020 and the turntable was a Technics SL-BD22.

I got some cheap Pioneer speakers from Goodwill, then some other cheap Pioneer speakers off of Craigslist, and they served me well enough. The latter are CS-G203s and I like the look but I've been told that Pioneer has never made a good speaker.

At some point I found a beautiful Pioneer SX-680 receiver at my local Half-Price Books for $200 and grabbed it. It sounds amazing.

I picked up some Advent speakers as well:

So that's where I'm at right now. I think it all sounds great and eventually I might pick up something higher-wattage or a turntable that can take a better stylus but I'm happy with what I have at the moment.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Enos Cabell posted:

A composite to HDMI converter should work https://www.amazon.com/s?k=composite+to+hdmi+converter.

I've got a stack of old laserdiscs but haven't had a working player in probably 20 years. I do have a working RCA Selectavision player hooked up to my garage tv with several boxes full of CEDs though.

This came in yesterday and seems to work great. I have a choice to upscale to either 720 or 1080. 720 looks better - I think 1080 is just trying to go too far from the source resolution.

That being said, to quote my wife, "it looks like poo poo!" I think we're just so spoiled by modern high-def features that going back to 480 is difficult other than for novelty purposes. On the plus side, after messing with some of the brightness and color settings on my TV it doesn't look bad at all. Watched most of Star Wars last night, pre-Special Edition Star Wars, and several of the changes I had honestly forgotten about. It was pretty awesome.

My question is: right now I'm going straight from the LD player to the adapter with a video composite cable. If I use S-video would there be any improvement? I don't know what use S-video was and if it passes a better signal than a standard video cable, and I don't have one handy (at least I can't find one in my random bin of cables) to test.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That's fascinating to me.

I bought this adapter/upconverter but I'm assuming a ten dollar thing I bought off of Amazon isn't going to be the best. It's probably 'good enough' for now but I might start looking into what a real upconverter would cost and how it would work.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the one true Return of the Jedi.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
A buddy gave me these speakers the other day. I know they're not going to be nearly as good as the Advents I have right now, and probably not even as good as the cheap Pioneers I have. But... are they garbage? I haven't hooked them up yet.

They're big and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with them after I clean them up a bit. Maybe a garage system or something...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

TheMadMilkman posted:

The 5kHz tweeter crossover is also an eyebrow raiser. But if they work and have no major issues, why not just use them in the garage?

That's kind of my thinking. I haven't plugged them in yet and it might be awhile before I get around to it, just kinda fishing for thoughts. If people were all "oh poo poo those are awesome" I'd probably do it sooner and if people were all unanimously "those are trash" then I'd put it off longer. I really like the Advents I have (Futuras) and have no reason to get rid of them, though honestly the size of these is just cool and on paper they can take higher wattage.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Science Goy posted:

3) assuming everything is in reasonable working order, it is totally worth the effort to set up two speaker sets and A/B them. Your ears can tell you more than some spec sheet can. If your receiver has dual zones/dual outputs, just run some speaker wire to both speaker pairs, and flip back and forth from speaker channel A to speaker channel B. Adequate speaker wire is cheap, so if you don't have extra laying around it will just cost a few bucks to get a small roll of 16gauge or so.

I did this with the two sets of Pioneers I have. I was amazed at how different they sounded. I really need to do it more.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well I hooked up those big Sanyo speakers and they sound really flat. I'll probably be getting rid of them. I wanted to like them because they're more powerful than the ones I currently use and I think they look cool but oh well.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have a turntable going into a Pioneer SX-680 amp, which then pushes into a pair of speakers. I'm looking at a few equalizers locally... how would I install an equalizer into this system? I've never had one before and don't know which side of the amp they go on.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bigman.50grand posted:

That entirely depends on the equalizer. Some have multiple RCA inputs and a single RCA output. Those would go in between your turntable and receiver. Others have speaker terminal connectors. Those would go between your receiver and speakers.

All things equal between the two, a quality equalizer will perform perfectly fine regardless of where it sits in the signal chain. I can't think of any obvious reason to choose one over the other. The disadvantage to the RCA setup is if you use a remote control to switch between sources on your receiver. You'd lose that functionality. Speaker terminal setup would technically take more wires, but that's nothing a little cable management can't fix.

None of this system has a remote control, and the equalizers I'm looking at all have RCA in/out. One of them has an additional tape in/out but it's still RCA.

I just don't know how EQs work or if I can put it in line before the amp (which is where my RCAs are).

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 20, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wa27 posted:

Do this:

Then turn on the tape monitor switch to start listening to audio routed through the EQ.

Huh. OK that makes sense.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the music forum:

I picked up an Amber Model 17 preamp at Goodwill today for $9.99. I had a gift card that I had to use by Wednesday, so I didn't mind taking a risk on it. Doing some research, it seems like it's a pretty high quality unit, even audiophile quality.

I'm not sure how to use it though... I currently have an old Pioneer SX680, which isn't exactly high wattage, and I don't really think I need a preamp going into this amp (educate me if I'm wrong, though!)

It powers on, but I haven't plugged it into anything yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

trilobite terror posted:

The SX680 is an integrated amp/receiver, so it has its own preamp built in. You’ll want to connect that thing either to a preamp-free power amp of some sort or to something that has a power amp but no preamp, such as most off-the-shelf self powered monitor speakers.

That’s a really nice find. What does it look like from the back?

That's what I thought. I think I'll hold on to this until I need it. Seems like a good piece of kit.

Here's the back:

edit: this Goodwill also had a Nakamichi BX-300 tape deck for $40 and a pair of 3D Acoustics 3D610B speakers, which were in rough shape but only $20 for the pair.

I went back looking for the tape deck because after some research, they're worth a decent bit of money and very highly regarded, but it was already gone. The speakers were gone too, but needed work and I was less interested in them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Yesterday I picked up an Onkyo TX-4500 receiver and a Pioneer PL-510A turntable.

The Onkyo is interesting because it has 60 watts per channel, three(!) tape inputs, two phono inputs and three speaker outputs, and is generally highly regarded as underappreciated. I haven't fully gone through the functionality of this, but it definitely needs the switches and pots cleaned out really well.

The Pioneer doesn't give good sound - nothing out of the left channel, and the right sounds like poo poo. I'm trying to determine if it needs a new cartridge (I believe it has the original Empire 2000 cartridge installed) but it sounds like it could also be the cables or adjustment issues.

They're both so pretty though. I'm pretty sure I overpaid for them (got them from a coworker's son's girlfriend's father's estate, they weren't for sale and I offered some cash and got these and some nice vintage headphones as well).