Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Pieced this together over the past two weeks.

Receiver is a Kenwood KR-3130 found at a local thrift store. Picked up the wharfedale 60 speakers and the Technics SL-B202 turntable at a local record store. I'm sure I paid too much for the receiver but it works just fine, just needs a bit of cleaning. This is my very first stereo set up, I've been using headphones and cheap PC speakers the past 25 years.

What would be the best way of hooking a Ipad into this system? I'm currently just using a 3.5 to RCA cable, is there a better way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Thanks for the help, turntable just freaked out. It's a Technics SL-B202, when I got it a new belt had been put on. It's just losing all speed control and going as fast as the motor can spin. Just gonna take it back to the shop I got it from and see if there is anything else to get, I want and working system for Thanksgiving.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I'd try fixing it. I picked up a SX-727 this past friday and hosed it two days later being retarded with too many speakers. There is a pioneer subforum on Audiokarma.org that has this one guy with a wealth of knowledge. He is currently helping me with my issue. I'm sure he or the other guys there can sort you out, very friendly place.

Also, I bought something stupid today.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Just googled that receiver, that is a thing of beauty, and for only 3 bucks. I think I hate you, I never find anything really that cool at thrift stores.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I bought another R2R, what is wrong with me.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Yeah the R2R I got was a Sony TC-645, which is a bit smaller but heavy as hell compared to my current TC-378. Tested it out and it sounded great, all the knobs worked and the VU meters were still kicking. Only issue was when I would stop FF or RW the tapes would keep free spinning. After cleaning up the huge mess of tape I did a bit of googling and there are 3 sets of brakes, 2 sets for each reel, then a 3rd for the pause lever. All they are is some felt covered pieces of plastic. Scrapped off the old felt, picked up some new felt with adhesive backing and cut out some new ones. Deck is working just fine now, and I think that is what I love above this vintage equipment. You can work on it and actually fix things.

Next thing to figure out is my Technics SL-1600 that I got for 20 bucks. It was used in night club or something, it was covered in cigarette tar. I cleaned it up inside and out, can't get some of the stains out of the paint, but no longer sticky. Issue the TT has is when I hit start the tone arm moves, but then just jumps across the platter to the end then goes back. If I set the memo to zero and just do a manual start it works fine, auto return works great. So past week I've just be doing manual starts. I've cleaned and re-lubed everything on the inside but the tonearm pivot assembly. Not brave enough yet to dive into that mess and I think I'm just gonna give up and just do manual starts.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Looks great, did good getting that for 40 bucks.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I think you need a phono preamp.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Had a fun weekend, last week I went to check out a Sansui 8080DB, owner claimed it worked great. So I went to buy it for 250 and I get there and turn it on, it goes into protection. Figure it might be something like old caps or some blown outputs transistors. I offer the guy 50 bucks, he takes it.

I get it home and a friend says it's usually the driver board. So I pull the board and power it up, it doesn't go into protection. So we are good place to start. So I meet up with my friend since he has all the nice soldering tools, we find 6 bad resistors and everything else on the driver board looks good. So like maybe a dollar in parts and it's back up and running. Sounds great, pretty happy I don't need to do a complete recap right now, but will in the future.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I wish I had a Ikea near me so I could get one of those shelves, so perfect for records. Your set up looks nice and clean.

I need to stop buying poo poo, past two weeks I picked up a Pioneer RT-707 and a Yamaha M-70 C-70 combo.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Never stop looking, just only jump on the good deals. That's how I scored a Sansui 8080DB for 50 bucks. They wanted 250, but when I checked it out it went into protection. Offered 50 since it had some issues, and with a little work got it back up and running, only had six bad resistors. Sometimes people don't know what they have, just don't try to be super shady like that dude a few posts back. Ohh yeah I also bought a Pioneer SA-7800, my wife hates me.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I'm turning into a horder, I keep finding stuff.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
As far as tape, there is plenty of NOS stuff out there. My first R2R I bought came with like 100 reels of tape. I've been selling them on ebay to help fund the purchase. Keeping most of the new maxell stuff for myself. But all the Sony tape I sold went for about 3 bucks a reel. My local record store has a bunch of NOS tape, they go for like 10 bucks a reel, but it's an awesome place and has very decent prices on stuff.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Any brands/WPC you are looking for?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Cool, I might be getting a second Sansui 8080db tomorrow. Depending on it's condition I might have to get rid of my current one. Shipping on something like this will be pricey though.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Man, the 8080DB I went to see was a bit rougher than I thought. Of course it was in protection. Guy wouldn't budge on the price but still pretty cheap anyways so I picked it up. Removed the driver board to see if the fault was in it, still went into protection. So me and the service manual will have to get cozy tonight.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I did something useful today, still got to hook everything up and get the turntable on the top but pretty happy with the results so far. The bottom shelf is for LPs.

Nice job on that Pioneer, not bad for 80 bucks.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I use an EQ but don't run anything through it, I just use it for the pretty lights.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Clean the connectors between the head shell and the tone arm, that might help.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
The lazy in me says get a cheapy phono pre amp and toss it on the aux input. Until you can get around to fixing it proper.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I've never had to use one, so I wouldn't know, I'm sure someone else monitoring the thread could set you straight.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
My wife's 40 Dollar yard sale find.

Needs a new capstan belt, it was old and mushy, as soon as I turned it on and the motor was engaged it broke. New one ordered from Pioneer today. I don't think I will ever be able to top this score ever.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Ha, I got a Sony PS-X800 on the cheap, was gonna try and fix it. The more I dug into it, I said screw it. It's up on ebay now for parts. The other Sony I have is full of sensors too, and it's not even a linear tracker. So it's just gonna break randomly one day I'm sure.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 1, 2013

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
What is that on the glass of that amp?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

izationalizer posted:

*Searches CL every five minutes and emails you when something is posted. I never would have scored the tube amps (and probably not the other stuff either) without it. The good deals are always insta-gone.

I missed out on my dream receiver(Sansui G9000) with a pair of Altec Valencia Horns for 800 bucks. I missed it by like 5 minutes. The local ebay flipper got them. He sold the G9000 for 1500 bucks and has the speakers up for 1800 right now. You did good snagging the stuff and just holding on to it until you can get it rebuilt.

When people come over and I show them my vintage stuff, they always go "Why don't you just use your Ipad". I always just point to the huge reels and go "an Ipad can never be as cool as that". Also you can't sell MP3s when you are broke.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 20, 2013

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
If you already have something but want a good 8track, check out the Pioneer H-R100 or the H-100. I've played with both, the R100 has Dolby noise reduction and really cleaned up some crusty 8tracks I had laying around. H-100 sounded good, but the R100 is worth it.

Also this thread is funny, dead for like weeks, then bunch of action at once.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I may have an issue with liking integrated amps too much. Picked these two up recently a Technics SU-V9 and a Pioneer SA-8800 recapped with a nice custom case. I'll give the Yamaha C70/M70 a break and rotate the SA-8800 in later today.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
7inch stuff isn't too hard to find or pricy, but 10inch is rough.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 25, 2013

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Been moving the past month, but finally got all the R2Rs hooked up, gave them a little work out this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MSN38_N78

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I see no problems with non quartz locked turntables. Yes you have do deoxit sometimes but that's not a huge deal.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Yep, that is why I love my SA-8800, nice big volume knob.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I have a strange issue on a SL-1200 I just picked up. No matter what I set the anti-skate on the tone arm keeps quickly moving to the outside. I can't even queue properly because of this issue.

Here is the video of what is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_eHihBeic8

No matter what I set the anti-skate at, it does this.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Figured the issue out, appears the tone arm is bad. I followed the directions in this youtube and it's fixed for now.
Time to order a new tone arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddnksXI_LE

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 17, 2013

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
So it only happens using phono? Have you done extended testing on other inputs? Got a spare phono pre amp? If so move the TT to another input with the preamp and see if the problem follows. If it doesn't most likely an issue in the phono section of your receiver.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Did you not like your Shure 97xe? I just got one in the mail from amazon and haven't mounted it yet.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Jeeze, what size are those woofers? Nice looking set up, really dig the shelf you are using. I would like something just like that but with two levels since I got a bunch of reel to reel stuff.

I got a new R2R today, a Teac X-2000R, it plays but needs to be serviced. It came with two 35-180 Maxells tapes and a carrying case like a band would have for going on the road. Not sure if it came some band that liked to record their sets or maybe some Deadhead that recorded their shows. Played it for a few hours today with the only issue being sometimes when I pushed play it would just start rewinding.

I've had this table for awhile, it's one of Regas first tables. It has an issue with the wiring just at the base of the unit where the wiring leaves the tonearm. Both channels will work fine without any issues if placed correctly, just have to jingle it some to find the sweet spot. Nervous to work on this one myself since I'm terrible at very small wiring. Awesome looking table and sounds great, not sure if I should keep it since I just picked up a SL-1200.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I thought my cerwin vega dx9 were silly looking. I think it's the small cabinet that makes yours look so silly.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 4, 2013

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Reminds me of the Kenwood K-777s that are at the local record store. We haven't been able to hook them up because we have too much gear and records crammed into a tiny house.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Better post pictures of it all hooked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Had a good weekend at yard sales, snagged a Technics SL-DL1, Sansui 9900Z, and 2 Sansui G-8000s. All work fine just need a good clean and servicing.

So far on G-8000 number one, it had a very low audio on the left channel and just crap audio on the right. After the most annoying deoxit job ever, everything is working great. Sprayed down all the tone,selector, and volume switches. To reach some of the feature(Dolby/FM mute) switches I'd have to remove the face plate and some circuit boards, so screw that, it sounds just fine now. Lots of dog hair to clean up though.