Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

BattleHork posted:

Amazon has the Technics 1200 on sale right now: http://www.amazon.com/Technics-SL-1200MK2-TECHNICS-Turntable/dp/B00006I5VX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242944702&sr=8-1

edit: Amazon itself is sold out.

$450 is a good price for a new one, but if you live in a big enough area you can shop around and get it for $250 on craigslist. I plan on doing so once I get my Marantz 2240 fixed up (the speakers periodically cut out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Not an Anthem posted:

Right channel on my marantz 2230 is making GBS threads the bed, sounds like the speaker is dying so I swapped the speakers between both sets of speaker outs (A & B) but no difference, then I switched to entirely new speakers on the A&B channels and same results, the right channel sounds like something is loving up and distorting/crackling the output.

I dunno which board on the marantz runs it so I think im taking it into a shop that replaced the power board cos its still under the 30 day warranty, I hope anyway. Anyone have experience fixing that?

edit- I also came across a nad 705 receiver for 40$ with the receiver part dead, I was gonna counter-offer 20$ and see if they bit.. good deal?

My 2240 has a similar problem. You can try giving the pots a good cleaning with Deoxit, but if that doesn't work, the most likely problem is corroded contacts in the speaker relay. Does the 2230 poo poo out in the same way through the headphones?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Not an Anthem posted:

Weird. I was taking my pe5050 in for service and so I brought the marantz along because they usually do a free once over for anything fairly obvious, worked fine in their shop, think its probably my lovely wiring?

Actually, you can test the speaker relay by yourself (it's the most likely cause of your problems) by doing the following:

1) Take the top cover off of your 2230.
2) Plug in headphones or speakers if you don't have anything plugged into it.
3) Start playing a sound source through one of your inputs.
4) On the right side of the electrical components, near the front panel, should be a 1"x.75" (roughly) plastic box sticking up from a circuit board. It should stick out like a sore thumb. That's your speaker relay. Take a pen (plastic preferably) and tap lightly on the relay, keeping the volume lowish. If the sound crackles or goes in and out when you do that, you likely have corroded relay contacts and would have to have the relay cleaned or replaced.

If you're not comfortable taking the cover off while it's plugged in, does the problem go away at higher volumes? If so, then most likely it's your relay.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 21, 2010

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Not an Anthem posted:

Right channel on my marantz 2230 is making GBS threads the bed, sounds like the speaker is dying so I swapped the speakers between both sets of speaker outs (A & B) but no difference, then I switched to entirely new speakers on the A&B channels and same results, the right channel sounds like something is loving up and distorting/crackling the output.

I dunno which board on the marantz runs it so I think im taking it into a shop that replaced the power board cos its still under the 30 day warranty, I hope anyway. Anyone have experience fixing that?

edit- I also came across a nad 705 receiver for 40$ with the receiver part dead, I was gonna counter-offer 20$ and see if they bit.. good deal?

To follow up, if you're comfortable opening up your receiver, assuming the relay is the problem, you can easily clean the relay contacts yourself for only a few dollars in parts. See skibjr's post at the bottom of this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90280 You can clean the contacts without desoldering the relay (at least that's what I did on my 2240) but it's a little trickier that way. Other than not desoldering the relay, I followed those instructions and my problem went away.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I just got a killer deal on a Technics SL1200MK2 and now I'm looking to pick up a new cartridge and stylus for it, as the one that came with it is a DJ cart with a fairly high tracking force. I'm considering the Audio Technica AT440MLA: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT440MLA-Dual-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge/dp/B00009MK3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291169694&sr=1-1

Does anyone have any experience with this cart or a recommendation for a different one?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

crazyfish posted:

I just got a killer deal on a Technics SL1200MK2 and now I'm looking to pick up a new cartridge and stylus for it, as the one that came with it is a DJ cart with a fairly high tracking force. I'm considering the Audio Technica AT440MLA: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT440MLA-Dual-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge/dp/B00009MK3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291169694&sr=1-1

Does anyone have any experience with this cart or a recommendation for a different one?

Wound up buying this cart, and it sounds awesome. I don't have the overhang tool to make sure it's 100% correctly mounted, but my rough measurements have it pretty well set.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

The number one problem I've seen with old Marantz receivers is some combo of corroded/dirty pots and the speaker relay. Both can be fixed with some deoxit, but the speaker relay is kind of tricky. You have to take the cover off the relay and get at the contacts with some very fine sandpaper. It's a little tricky, but it made my 2240 perform beautifully afterward.

edit: But yeah, check on the cables first for sure.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Been having a couple problems with my Marantz 2240 recently. Before I take it in for repair, anyone know what could be wrong if:

1) The left side headphone channel doesn't work at all
2) The right channel when running over mains or headphones doesn't work until I run a very hot signal through (i.e. disable speakers, crank volume until headphones kick in, turn volume down, enable speakers). It may still drop out after that. I don't think it's the speaker relay because I've heard what a bad relay can do (it primarily maifests as repeated cut-ins/cut-outs). The receiver being warm doesn't seem to affect the dropouts.
3) Up until recently, it would take a very long time for the relay 'click' to engage after powering on the receiver.

I'm thinking for #2 that there's some bad capacitors somewhere but I'm not sure where.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

prom candy posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I've been wanting to start listening to my vinyl again (girlfriend moved in a couple years ago and I lost my listening station) and I realized that there's room for a turntable on my desk. I recently got a new set of headphones as well as a soundcard/headphone amp combination (Asus Xonar DG) for my computer.

I bought a turntable with a built-in preamp (from a brand called Technosonic... yeah) off Kijiji and proceeded to hook it up to the line-in on my PC. I can play my records through the computer and I can hear them just fine, but they sound like absolute poo poo. No warmth, no separation, very poor bass response, etc.

Is this going to be a reality of trying to run a turntable through a PC rather than using a receiver, or is the shady turntable the likely culprit? I have an old Technics turntable that I could buy a pre-amp for but I don't want to go spending any more money if this set up (turntable -> PC -> headphones) just straight isn't going to work.

Poor bass response sounds like your preamp isn't working or isn't turned on. Is there a switch for it somewhere on the unit? If you have a receiver, try hooking it up to that and seeing if the problem goes away.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

prom candy posted:

I have a Marantz SR1100 that frequently loses the right channel. If I fiddle with the input select knob or turn the unit on and off I can usually fix the problem, but sometimes it just doesn't want to work. Is there a way to fix this for good with a fairly limited understanding of electronics?

When I see Marantz and 'lose a channel' in the same sentence, I immediately think that it's the speaker protection relay. I'm not sure if that applies to your model though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

This isn't really vintage specific as a question, but my gear is, and I figure that this is the right place to ask stereo people. If this isn't the right place, I apologize.

I have my stereo (Marantz 2240 / Technics SL1200) set up in my dining room under my thermostat and I get incredibly loud popping and cracking noises whenever my furnace turns on. My outlets appear to be wired correctly and there is dedicated conduit run to the furnace. Can anyone recommend a power conditioner (or other solution) that could help eliminate these horrible popping and cracking noises? It makes my stereo unusable while the furnace is on. I've resorted to turning my thermostat way down so I don't get the noises while playing a record, but I'd rather not have to adjust my thermostat to play records.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

It happens with any source, sorry that wasn't clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

A double-conversion UPS would isolate you from anything weird, the smallest APC smart-ups you can buy would probably suffice. If you don't care about using it when the power's off, buy one used and just turn off the battery alarm-- it will still do the ac-dc-ac conversion to isolate you without issue.

Thanks for this.

I ran some more tests and found two new points:

1) After plugging my stereo into a totally different outlet with a huge extension cord, I no longer get pops with arbitrary sources. It's ugly running a giant cord across my living room but it's better than horrible popping noises ruining my record listening sessions.
2) Under the same conditions as #1, I get the pops when the thermostat comes on...but only for a brief period, and only when playing records (not with aux, radio, etc.). Since my turntable is right under the thermostat I suspect that if I moved it to the other side of my receiver, the pops would hopefully go away if the wires are routed like I think they are.

So given #1 and #2, I should be able to solve the problem with a combination of a smart-ups and moving the turntable (or thermostat). Thanks for all your help!