Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

dj_pain posted:

not that loud as i got a yamaha RX-V461 in the living room.

25 watt should be more than enough if those jensen speakers have a decent sensitivity. The watt number on speakers is pretty useless, dB/W/m is the interesting measure (number of decibels produced by one watt when measured at one meter distance). Proper tower models will be > 90 dB, bookshelves will be between 80 and 90 dB (doubling your output wattage will add 3dB, so you can go from there to see how loud 25 watt - or 16, to have a nice power of 2 and some headroom left - will get your speakers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

^^ The only thing worth reading up on should be the different properties for the different types of capacitor. The actual soldering is simple. A few rules of thumb: always replace caps by same or higher voltage. Keep capacitance the same unless you have a good reason to change it (more capacitance for rail caps, for instance). Remember where the negative side goes when removing polarized caps, the marking on the board may have faded or have never been there. Taking a few good photo's where you can see the orientation of all caps will be a good precaution. That's about it.

muckswirler posted:

The main thing that's keeping me from doing this myself is the other smaller, less complicated tube amp that I tried. It threw a tube shortly after surgery.
That's most likely another problem (bad tube, replacing caps allow full power again, tube blows). I dunno, it feels like such a waste to pay for something that's as simple as recapping.

I source my caps from either my local audiophile/high-end hifi shop (for Black Gate and their ilk) or my local electronics shop (for simple generic caps or spiffy Panasonic FM/FC caps etc), that's the easiest and fastest way I've found.

pim01 fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 10, 2008

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

ReelBigLizard posted:

Anyone have any experience of Grado's phono preamp?

I've been out of the audio scene for some time, looking at building a new system primarily for headphone listening. I'll probably hook it up to a Creek or Grado headphone amp.

From a quick google search it looks like it's about $500 - I'd be worried that I'd be paying a premium for the fancy wooden box, but if that's your thing I'd say go for it. I liked the Pro-ject Phono Box SE-II (and will probably buy one again if I get back into vinyl). should be about $350.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Tigertron posted:

A guy that a met at an estate sale swore up and down that a tube amp was the only way to go. What benefit do they hold over other amps? Will they be cheaper or will they be harder to come by? What era do they come from and are there any popular brands to look into?

If there is only a subtle difference I think I am inclined to find a tube amp since the guy really left an impact on me with his passion for tubes.

The sound is a bit different (there's some harmonic distortion added which gives a 'warmer' sound). New ones are still being built, but they are a bit more expensive and harder to come by than equivalent-quality solid-state amplifiers. Some people prefer the sound, other people just like to feel special because they have glowing tubes on their equipment.

Keep in mind that tube amps are typically designed for stereo use and to drive proper, high-sensitivity speakers (preferrably > 90 dB/w/m). If you are a music enthousiast and like the sound, I'd say go for it, but be prepared to spend some money on it (or dig up an old one and restore it, but that's a whole other way of going about it, and can be expensive as well).

I like Jadis, by the way. Beautiful amps and amazing sound. You could probably pick up a second-hand one for under $1000. I had this $2500 Jadis Orchestra on loan for a few weeks, and apart from being impressively heavy and glowey, it sounded pretty good on my cheap Mordaunt Short speakers. Still like my $150 TA-10 T-amp better, though :).