Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Trying to decide if it's worth getting this old MusicHall MMF-2.1 going. Presumably it needs a belt, hopefully the cartridge would be OK since it's basically never been used.

I really only have a handful of vinyl and I'm not sure I want to get into it now or not. There's plenty of it available, but I've seen the comments about pressing quality varying wildly.

On the other hand, high-res digital is dead as a doornail it seems, whether it's SACD or anything else. There's a few websites like nativedsd.com, hdtracks.com. Selection is weak or at least doesn't align with what I want I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Generally yes. I mean, I'm not a total whackjob, and I know that mastering quality is the biggest factor, regardless of format. I'm very happy with CD too, I'm not like sitting around pouting about all the missing bits or w/e. It's mainly:

1) I already have the MMF-2.1, but I have almost no vinyl collection to speak of.
2) I have a DAC that supports higher bitrate and DSD.

So it's sort of, for music I don't already own, do I want to think about buying vinyl, or high res digital stuff, or still just get CDs. There isn't always overlap. Lots of newer recordings of classical stuff is available in digital formats (of sometimes questionable mastering quality), but not vinyl. Lots of more popular music these days is available on vinyl (but who knows what pressing quality) but not high res digital.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I appreciate what everyone's saying about not being an either-or. I think qirex hits at what I was expressing very poorly.

I'm on the fence about getting into vinyl considering:
A) High res digital is available, although admittedly not as easily as I would like. Though qobuz looks interesting.
B) I have a turntable that's supposedly half decent, but I don't currently have a phono preamp at all to use with it, and the belt looks a little cracked so I would need to buy that to (only like $25 admittedly).

Given that I have only a few pieces of vinyl that are 'decent' and another handful of probably junk. The only semi-cool thing I have is the original 1999 NIN The Fragile never played. Though there's new pressings of that now so whatever.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My main listening right now is on headphones, with a so-so DAC that I'm planning on upgrading, a DIY headphone amp based on the SS Tabor and some Sennheiser HD600's. So I'd need a phono stage before my headphone amp to use with that, one with balanced output unfortunately.

My main 2ch setup has been scavenged over the last few years but I have some thoughts on rebuilding that, possibly with some full range fostex (or whatever is the hotness these days) rear horn speakers because I've always had a soft spot for them.

For medical reasons I'm not really in a position to be scouring music stores for vinyl so it'd probably just be stuff I can buy and ship, so financially the premium there probably weighs in a good amount, once I think about it. I do like the idea of supporting artists directly when I can, usually it would be easier to buy vinyl directly from them, it's not like they're selling high bitrate flac files on DVD at a concert.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

I recognize JBL LE5's anywhere! LE5-2's work great in front horns as well.