Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wobbly Mike
May 25, 2003
Drop it like it's hot
I had a few questions, I currently have a Sony turn table hooked up to a pioneer home theater receiver. I want to start a vintage setup in my room, i'm not fully sure what i want to do in the way of speakers and a receiver, i was thinking of the Marantz 2245 and then just finding some newer speakers (polk monitor 40's or the higher series bookshelf speakers) unless you guys have any other suggestions. Also, aside from EBAY and craigslist i am not sure where to look for vintage receivers. Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wobbly Mike
May 25, 2003
Drop it like it's hot
Ok so I won myself a marantz 2245 from Ebay and I now need to find some speakers. I want to spend between 150 and 200 for some bookshelf's does anyone have any suggestions?

Wobbly Mike
May 25, 2003
Drop it like it's hot

Helvetica Sucks posted:

Head over to the speaker building thread if you like power tools and woodworking. The speakers in the OP run between 150-200 or so.

Infinity Beta20: cheap price, don't know how they sound. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ygtCjCVRqCjCVRq
Some cheap Bostons, know someone who has them. Sound OK, could probably use a sub (like the Beta20s) http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-Horizon-HS50-Midnight/dp/B000W9DO5C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241219929&sr=8-1

Honestly, your best value at that price range is going to be from a speaker kit or on the used market. Look on your local craigslist for used speakers--if they're in good condition, chances are they'll outperform the two options I gave you.

are there any brands or model numbers i should look out for? i had my eye on some polk monitor 40's for awhile but are there any other good ones?