Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Our Sony LX250H has a bad cartridge so we'll be replacing that as I short-term fix. My old Onkyo turntable was a ton better than this Sony but it had a short that kept the platter from starting reliably when the arm was moved over it. I gave it away at a yard sale for $15. So...

Like I said the new $30 cart is a short term fix. I'm eyeballing a Rega P1 for a replacement since it's gotten great reviews and it's a bit more reasonably priced compared to the better P2 ($350 vs. $550). Any experience with this player or suggestions why I shouldn't get the P1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Pibborando San posted:

This article explains why you should get a Pro-ject Debut III over the P1. The Debut is what I've heard recommended again and again and the Ferrari red version will be my first "nice" TT.

Hrm, never heard of that one. Will give it some consideration. I like the Debut's metal platter over the Rega's MDF platter but I wonder about the tone arm. That article is a little light on quantitative data, but then again most audiophile reviews are. Wouldn't the Rega's lighter tonearm be better than the Debut's "more substantial" one? I can only infer that that means the Debut tonearm is heavier.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
I've been looking for a second-hand stereo receiver for my basement living area (the "man cave"). Ideally it would be 5.1 equipped but in the meantime any stereo amp would suffice as I'm desperate to begin working out my Microbe XT speakers.

I picked up a Yamaha R-100 for $5 at a yard sale recently. It needs a bit of cleaning and the balance knob needs to be tightened up from the inside, but the sound coming out of it and into the Microbes is impressively clean.

Anybody know anything about this receiver? My receiver in the main living area is a Yamaha RXV-795. I assume the R prefix means it's from the Natural Sound line and the 100 suggests it's a very early model. I know it debuted around 1982.

You know what else was pretty cool but doesn't belong in this thread? I picked up a rack-mountable Tascam DR-40 DAT recorder at the same yard sale, also for $5!

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

iamthejeff posted:

The RP1 has replaced the P1, and has gotten good reviews. If you aren't looking to spend $400+ then you'd be better off with something vintage. Stick with something from the 70s. Anything heavy and with the least amount of plastic will sound much, much better. You could replace the cartridge for around $80-100 and end up happy as hell.

I bought an RP1 a month or two ago and I've been quite happy with it. It's my first turntable in this echelon... very minimalist. The motor is impressively stable. My only complaint is that the Ortofon cart that comes with it is very unforgiving of my vintage records. With pristinely kept and cleaned new records it sounds very musical. I listen to rock, indie, prog, and metal and I find the mids and bright tones crisp and clean. Deeper tones seem somewhat underrepresented compared to my more contemporary Sony and Onkyo turntables I'd owned in the past but there was no side-by-side comparison but instead a 2-year separation in listening sessions. Memories are most certainly unreliable.

That said, listening to Yes' Roundabout right now through some headphones is really enjoyable FWIW.