Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
My computer setup:

Luxman 5L15 integrated & Aragon D2A MkII DAC:

Dynaudio DM 2/8

I'm looking for a Luxman 5T10 or 5T50 tuner, but they're impossible to find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

aricoarena posted:

How do you like the dynaudios?

They're great! Crisp, clear treble, and a lot of bass for such a small speaker! When I tested them in the store, I thought there was a subwoofer connected. I think the DM 2/8's are being discontinued, so maybe you can find them on the cheap. The store I was at sold me their last pair.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Jerry Cotton posted:

A friend of mine has a pair of Dynaudios (don't remember the model) and he says they need a pretty powerful amp to sound any good and don't work all that well at low volume anyway - is that true in your opinion?

(I wish the store he bought them from still had -15% all prices for students because then I'd hire a student to go buy me stuff.)

They do like their power, but I haven't had any problems with my Luxman. I used a Rotel RB-1572 before with 2x500W in Class D, and I think the Luxman sounds better. The Luxman is rated at 2x80W in 8ohms, probably a bit more in 4ohms.

I think the speakers work great at all volumes. I think these are supposed to be passive studio monitors, so maybe they're designed differently than your buddies speakers.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Got myself a Dual 1225:

Got a Philips 877 thrown in the deal, apparently it wasn't working. A new pickup later and it's working just fine.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Jerry Cotton posted:

Those Philips headshells are poo poo because they have holes instead of slots, so that if your cartidge is proportioned differently from a Philips cart, the alignment may be off by quite a bit.

Could you recommend a good headshell for this table? The stock one looks like a SME plug, but with longer prongs. I'm using a Pickering XV-15/625E pickup ATM.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Jerry Cotton posted:

Unfortunately, no. Mine (a 777) has a proprietary connector. I do remember seeing suitable ones (with slots instead of holes) for sale on-line occasionally but they were in the 40-50 € range and that's a bit steep for a turntable that often goes for 20-30 €.

On the other hand, you can always check the alignment with a protractor, it may well be OK.

Thanks for the link! I checked with the Baerwald alignment now, and it's spot on with the Pickering. Looks like a winner!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

BANME.sh posted:

I just picked up a Technics SL-23 with a Pickering XV-15, but the needle was destroyed. I ordered an aftermarket replacement from lpgear.com. Is yours an original or a new replacement? Just curious how the aftermarket ones sound.

The needle was gone when I got it, so I ordered a new one online. I don't like the sound of it when it's weighted according to Pickering, I feel it sounds better when I add a gram or two to the needle.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Here's another picture of my Luxman 5L15 integrated stereo amplifier, and my Aragon D2A DAC. I don't think I'll ever replace this combo, they match perfectly!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Picked up a Tandberg TR-200 for under $10 at an auction! Needs a couple of bulbs, but other than that it's fine!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
New bulbs, much better:

Five extra FM tuners!:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Recapped my Luxman 5L15:

All of the caps had emptied themselves over the years, the board is full of dried electrolyte. I'm waiting for a couple of bulbs to come in the mail before I can put it all together.

The VU meters don't work now though, and the only schematic I can find online is of the amplifier parts only :(

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Well, hello there!

I finally got the Kappas to liven up a bit! They've always been lacking some punch with my old Aragon 4004.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Some of my cool stash:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

evobatman posted:

I love it all!

Thank you! I really love 80s and 90s hifi with wood panels. I'm dreaming about a Sony TA-N77ES, but they're somewhat costly. Just look at it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

evobatman posted:

May I show you my Sony things?

Now we're talking! I really love the Sony ES stuff from the 80s and 90s. Would love to have a full Sony ES stack with wood panels.

I also have a TC-K715S which I serviced, bought it cheap just for the Dobly S.