Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I have a really old motor driven Sanyo TP1012. Here are a couple pics of my setup:

I have this guy attached through a pretty cheap preamp (http://www.phonopreamps.com/ "good" model) and to my pretty cheap, modern yamaha receiver, to a pair of B&W floorstanding speakers. Pictures of that stuff would be boring, but heres the turntable:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

I'm having a really wacky problem with my turntable. It's a 70s model Sanyo, with a "brand new" (last 2 years) Shure cartridge. It sounds great, but sometimes, in between songs, right before a new song begins, you can hear about 0.5-1.0 seconds of the song very faintly BEFORE it starts. At first I thought it was an effect in the recording of the song I was listening to before I noticed it several times over multiple bands/records.

I have carefully calculated the tracking weight & anti-skate, but I don't have one of those protractor things to mess with the distance measurement on the cartridge itself...could that be the problem?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Hand of Doom posted:

It might be "print through" on the master tape itself, where adjacent layers of tape's magnetic imprint imparts itself on the next layer (if the song was mastered on analogue equipment) or perhaps that vinyl has its own version of this, where physical disturbances (ie the signal on the cutting head) during the cutting process of the lacquer bleed through to adjacent grooves

I dunno - I've noticed it on two newer records : Oh, Inverted World and Fleet Foxes. They are both printed by Sub Pop, but presumably they were mastered on digital equipment

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

I'm having a hard time on google finding reasonable phono pre-amp reviews. There are tons of these things, and its either this guy : http://www.phonopreamps.com/ (TCC TC-750) or crazy audiophile $5000 bullshit reviews from Stereophile. Do most people just have these built in to their receivers? Where do I find sensible information about this? Is it wrong just googling for 'phono preamp review'?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Turnip Head posted:

I just ordered this from Emotiva: http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm

I'm getting one from the first shipment next week, and check out their forums and they can answer some of your questions.

That one looks nice and isn't too expensive, but it probably has too many features than what I need (i just need a phono stage). Also, I don't trust THEIR forums to tell me about it ;)

I've been able to find some decent reviews if I search for a particular model. The cambridge 640p seems to be well liked - http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA640P

If anyone wants to laugh at audiophiles, this review is particularly hilarious. http://stereophile.com/phonopreamps/908nag/

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

This guy looks pretty fancy, and has a built in headphone amp to boot:
http://www.aiconsol.com/vp129-rolls.html

Reviews are extremely positive all-around

edit: I went to a local $$$$ stereo store that is a cambridge audio dealer and he told me that these inexpensive tube pre-amps are a scam and that I should get the cambridge audio 540p or 640p. He also claimed the 540p and 640p are the same if you use the moving magnet part, but the website claims otherwise

bacon! fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 21, 2009

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

I just bought the Cambridge Audio 540P phono stage. Probably gonna get an Emotiva or Cambridge 2 channel amp and just use my existing receiver as a pre-amp for everything else. I might upgrade my turntable to a PROJECT or REGA too - we will see what happens!

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Has anyone used any of these vinyl record cleaning devices such as the Nitty Gritty: http://www.nittygrittyinc.com/ or are these just audiophile snake oil?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Turnip Head posted:

I've used something similar at my local record shop. There's definitely nothing "snake oil" about it. Clean records very noticeably play better and devices such as these are the most thorough methods of cleaning. I am not at the point where I'm able to invest in one right now, but it's definitely on my short list.

I just bought a GEM record cleaner and some fancy sleeves from sleevetown, along with nitty gritty FIRST pre-cleaner. The sleeves were backordered, unfortunately, but once they come I'll post some pics and a trip report of the cleaning process. Its reviewed pretty well (but only amongst stupid audiophile websites, so who knows) and is significantly cheaper than a vacuum cleaner.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Turnip Head posted:

That looks very interesting. Let me know how you like it because that is a far less expensive route.

I just went to the Sleevetown website and see the sleeves I have are backordered. If these are, in fact, the ones you got, you'll love them. I keep all my records in those sleeves behind the album jacket, but both inside the outer sleeve. That makes for easier access to the vinyl and prevents ring wear.

http://www.sleevetown.com/lp-sleeves-inner.shtml : I went with the "mobile fidelity master sleeves". They have very good reviews - not sure if those are the same ones you have. I also got a Hunt brush which is extremely nice compared to the crappy LAST brush I had before...gets off pretty much all the visible dust

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

I finally have a psuedo-trip report on the GEM record cleaner. I spent about 3 hours at my parents house - a hard requirement of using this thing is that you have a faucet with a garden hose threading on it. It comes with a converter for regular faucets, but it wouldn't fit anything at my house. Thankfully, my parents have a faucet like this in their garage.

I would certainly recommend not using it anywhere but a garage, because everything around you is going to get soaked. The pressure-washer has no trigger or valve so pressure is only controlled by turning the water higher or lower.

I started with some Nitty Gritty LAST cleaner, then ran it through the GEM system. I have a little dish rack that is wire with rubber coating that I let them air dry on, after giving them a brief towel dry with the included microfiber cloth. Unfortunately, the cloth gets completely soaked and unusable after drying 2 or 3 records. I put it in the dryer, but I guess this just covered it in lint because when I got home, the later records I cleaned were covered in dust.

It is extremely time consuming, but pretty painless. The only challenging part is not getting soaked when you turn on the water. The first couple records I cleaned look ridiculously good; the later ones are going to have to be re-cleaned. When I go back, I'll take my camera and document the process.

Here's a link to the product incase anyone else wants to try it : http://www.sleevetown.com/vinyl-cleaning.shtml

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

It actually comes with a sheet that breaks down the cost. Most of the things are juts a few bucks, except for the pressure-washer thing. Apparently that costs $80.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Momonari kun posted:

I'm leaning towards the Sherwood and the Denons, but the Marantz looks decent if basic. Prices here are about 20% higher than the US and since I don't want to go over $500, my options are limited. The Rega and the Project Debuts look good, but are about $600 here, so I don't know.

I'm also looking at the Cambridge 540p preamp. Any thoughts on that?

I have a Rega P2 that I bought used on Audiogon for a couple hundred. Those dudes are pretty serious about keeping their stuff in good shape - is that an option for you? Not sure if anyone will ship to Korea.

I also have the Cambridge 540p, and I have no complaints, except that there's no way to turn off the blue LED

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

I'm experiencing a weird static / hiss issue with my turntable. When I flip the channel on my amp to the one hooked up to my turntable, if the volume is up high enough (not cranked, just to normal listening levels) i hear fairly loud static / hissing. The turntable does not have to be on or spinning. You can't really hear it when the music is playing unless its a quiet spot.

The other devices hooked up to my amp do not have this problem, so the problem has to be coming from the turntable or preamp. I double checked the cables, they are all securely fastened and don't have holes in them or anything.

Any ideas? I don't have an extra pre-amp or stylus to try.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Paperweight posted:

My favorite stylus cleaning implement is the Onzow Zerodust. Most hi-fi shops online sell them for $70. A few years ago you could buy them in Japan for $20. One guy on eBay sells them direct from Japan for $43. That's pretty steep but it's one of the best ways to clean without taking a brush to a fragile stylus. I just bought a second one for a friend. I'll report on how the sale turns out.

There are several dudes on audiophile websites that recommend a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for stylus cleaning instead of a more expensive one, because it does basically the same thing. They are nerdy enough to take pictures of their stylus under a microscope to prove that it works

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Owsla posted:

The m97xe is my everyday cart, it's awesome. As long as your headshell has the two screw slots like this one it will fit no problem.

Another m97xe user here. Extremely happy with it, you can't go wrong.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

What do you use as your preamp in this case? (Stereo preamp, not phono preamp) I don't see preamp kits on either site.

I am fairly ignorant about electronics but my understanding is that you take regular inputs, "preamp" them to line level, and then amplify them to speakers - these kits just provide the last step (regular "amplifiers" you buy are integrated and have both)

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

I have talked to some electrical engineering buddies and I think I'm going to build one of these bad boys for my office : http://www.chipamp.com/lm3886.shtml. It will only be from a single source, the LINE OUT on my PC, so I don't believe a preamp will be necessary. Just gotta find a sexy pair of bookshelf speakers to go with it.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Seventyfour posted:

What's the general thread opinion on used NAD 2 channel receivers/integrated amps? Any particular models to look for? I've always thought of NAD as a good brand, but the reviews I've seen lately of their A/V receivers have been pretty negative.

I have a NAD C355BEE powering my B&W 602.5 towers and it's great. Nice construction, nice controls, sounds great. Not very expensive either. People on internet forums talk about the "NAD Sound" and you either liking or disliking it, but I have no idea what they mean.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

metaxus posted:

It's got a 10k logarithmic pot as a "preamp" of sorts... The line level signal is fed into it and the output goes to the amp. All it does is attenuate the signal from full line level (1-2V peak to peak, maximum volume) to zero, which is silence.

I noticed "BrianGT" of audiosector does that as well, so I may check that out. I'm up to ~$320USD in parts so far, and I don't think I'm missing anything. After reading a little more, I'm gonna go with the LM3875 Dual Mono Premium Kit from audiosector instead of the 3886 from chipamp. An Avel 330VA transformer, cardas binding post & rca plug, and a hammond aluminium chassis w/ walnut sides. Should be pretty.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Started building my LM3875 this weekend. Pics here: http://yfrog.com/user/jsomara/photos. Forgot to buy a fuse and I'm short a little copper wire. After speaker / audio cables, I'm gonna be looking at around $500.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Thom and the Heads posted:

Received a Technics SL-1700 last week and so far have been very pleased with the sound. Only problem is that I'm finding the "s" sound can sound very hard in some songs. Is this a cart problem or did I screw something up? It still has the original Stanton 500 cart.

Could definitely be a tracking force or calibration issue. Did you go through all the typical rigamarole to set it up, or leave it as shipped?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Thom and the Heads posted:

I checked the spindle quickly and messed around with the tracking force a bit but haven't taken it apart or anything yet. So far I'm just playing some test records on it to try and mess with the tracking force. Would hard "s"'s be indicative of a too lite or too heavy force?

I'm not totally sure - go through a guide like this one : http://i.gizmodo.com/5216965/how-to-calibrate-your-turntable-for-the-best-possible-sound and see if that helps. The most important things are the directional alignment of the cartridge, the overall balance, and the tracking force.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The gainclone is complete! I have a crappy twitpic here: http://img.ly/4mUa

I'll post a nice picture tomorrow or wednesday.

Unfortunately, there is quite a good deal of static/hum from my ancient Audigy2. It's completely silent hooked up to my Macbook Pro, which is good, but it will stay hooked up to my PC which has the Audigy 2. Time to replace it I guess.

Otherwise, it sounds amazing! It cost about $400 after it was all said and done.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Paperweight posted:

Post pictures of the internals. Did you insulate the chips from the heatsink with mica or silicone wafers?

I'm about to finish replacing all the parts on a friend's subwoofer amp. Honestly, I'll be surprised if it works even for 5 minutes. It's not even 10 years old but a lot of the small transistors are obsolete. I've substituted so many parts it'll be a finger crossing moment when I fire it up.

The case is the heatsink. The chips are mounted directly to the case, with thermal paste in between.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Would any goons be interested in purchasing my lovingly cared for Rega P2? If so, I'll snap some pics and post details about it either in the thread or via PM. I figure interest in SA-MART would be extremely low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Good idea - thanks!