Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
I have a 2003-era Stanton turntable. After I purchased it, I read nothing but horrible things about them, so I've been a bit wary of it since, but it's been an OK deck. To be honest, I don't know much about needles and tonearms all this jazz. I just wanna toss drop the needle on the record and forget about it.

Anyway, I ended up wearing out the needle that it came with, so I bought a Stanton DS-3. I popped it on and gave it a disc I didn't care about in case I did something wrong. During the first listen, my girlfriend turned to me and said, "Would you be upset if I told you I think it sounds awful"? She can't understand why I store my CDs as FLAC rather than MP3s, but she immediately noticed a difference compared to the stock needle after not listening to any vinyl for a whole month. I agreed, it really does sound awful.

I don't see any way to make adjustments to it. Can I do anything about it? Or should I just replace it outright, and if so, what's good that won't break the bank?

I've been eying Rega decks today. If the Stantons really are that bad, should I just take the plunge? I wish there were a place I could audition such things..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU