Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

andretti posted:

Do you ever use this? How does reel tape and 8-track sound?
Sssssssssssssssssssssss warble warble ssssssssssss warble ssssssssssssssssss.

If you love the rich full sound of a pack of snakes living in your stereo, there's nothing like the awesome sound from old school reel-to-reel and 8-track tapes.

I miss the reel-to-reel unit I got to use when doing radio stuff in college. Cutting tape and making weird little mixes and such was a lot of fun. I've still got a bag of my dad's old reel-to-reel tapes but they're pretty well dust at this point. I don't know if I could bake them or if they would even have anything worth saving. He had some live shows and tapes of albums and such. It was running way too slow to work on the unit we had at the station though or I'd have dubbed them then.

There's certainly some nostalgia about threading a tape so you can move it forward and listen to Simon and Garfunkel that your dad recorded all by himself. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Pibborando San posted:

EXCEPT, it seems to be riding really low on the LP surface, and the very bottom of the plastic housing sometimes scrapes against the record which makes an annoying dull "khkkhggkhh" sound.
http://www.stephensykes.com/blog_perm.html?111

Adjust the tonearm height so that your cart isn't scraping up your records. Otherwise, enjoy that tank of a record player. I've got one sitting next to me right now and good lord they're awesome.

For moving that around safely I'd recommend buying a turntable case. It doesn't have to be extravagant but something to protect that mighty beast is a very good investment. It also makes it easier to lug it from your parent's place to yours.

This is mine:
It wasn't terribly expensive and factored against the cost of a new turntable, it was a no-brainer. The only frustrating part is that your dust cover doesn't fit inside so you have to lug that around separately.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

more falafel please posted:

I have a JVC AL-F350 turntable, and it runs slow, particularly at 45 RPM. Is there any good way to fix that, or should I suck it up and get a new turntable?

The motor could be going out but it's more likely that the belt is old and stretched and is slipping so it won't maintain speed. Belt drives suck like this. However, the good news is you can probably order a new belt and install it to get it back to holding its speed.

http://www.pechorin.com/m/2004/12/21/Replacing_JVC_AL_F350_belt-229232.html

There's some basic info on replacing the belt. You should google around a bit to see if you can find a place to order it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Price: $66.68

You're paying *nothing* for your turntable. At that pricepoint I wouldn't try to quibble too much between that piece of poo poo and another belt drive piece of poo poo in the same range. They should both fully work to play records and barring any mechanical defects it will let you listen to all the vinyl in your collection without dropping big bucks on a fancier deck.

It's not likely to be a bad choice, but you shouldn't expect it to be remarkable for sound quality or anything like that. Keep in mind that I'm a bigot for the Technics 1200's and after using those for years anything else feels like a cheap toy.

The reviews on it are favorable and since getting into vinyl can be a really expensive hobby you might as well get something to try the waters without having to take out a loan. Enjoy!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Technics really dropped the ball when they failed to put on a faux woodgrain finish on their turntables. :colbert:

Nice find, Backweb, that's the kind of older stereo equipment that's fun to fiddle with (assuming it's not all busted up internally). Now to put on some early Motley Crue records and totally rock out!