Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Wobbly Mike posted:

Ok so I won myself a marantz 2245 from Ebay and I now need to find some speakers. I want to spend between 150 and 200 for some bookshelf's does anyone have any suggestions?

I have these, I've had other people buy these, everyone who hears them loves them. They are loving awesome for the price:

http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...emart&Itemid=37

If you aren't in a super hurry, you can usually get them b-stock for under $200:

http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=16&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=130

If you go the AV123 route, try calling to order and ask if they have any of the ELTs b-stock that aren't listed online, or if they have any deals going. They've cut me some pretty sweet deals from calling before. I have the X-LS bookshelves, and the X-SLS encore towers too. Both really nice as well. Honestly I just love that company. I use the ELT monitors every day though, as they are on my desk. They totally work for a decent sized room though. A friend of mine has them in her living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Thuel posted:

I'm in the process of putting together my first real music system. I'll mostly be using it for playing music off my laptop/ipod/turntable and mostly listen to indie rock and hip hop. I'd spend upwards of $1500, but I'm just really looking to get the best value. I've never been a fan of big ugly hi-fi equipment, so design is also important to me. When it comes to power and technical aspects, I'm just learning as I go along. So far I've found some things I like and some deals in my area, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've kind of fallen in love with the all around package of the Peachtree Nova, but the little brother the Decco is cheaper if it could accomplish what I need. The simplicity and design are really what I like most. As far as I know, I'll just need a phono stage to integrate my turntable. My worry is that it isn't designed with the turntable in mind and might not have enough power for decent speakers. I'm not against a vintage tube amp, but they just seem bulkier and require more care.

http://signalpathint.com/index.php/decco/the-decco.html

As far as speakers go, I'm looking at a used pair of B&W DM601 S3 which seem to be a good deal at $300. Would that amp be able to power that?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Decco and like it a lot. The power is plenty, 50W is nothing to sneeze at, they aren't bullshit watts. I never turn the thing up past like 1/3 of the way. I even used it with rather low efficiency (like 83dB) speakers for a while and it was perfectly adequate. The DAC in it is just awesome. I love it.

Currently I'm using it for my main system in the living room, but it really shines as a computer amp. Gotta love the USB DAC. I'm getting a 5.1 receiver for the living room soon and it will go back to my computer.

Also, holy poo poo, Signal Path has the Decco for $500 right now! http://signalpathint.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=170

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

TheMadMilkman posted:

That is a great price. Also, go with Rosewood. It looks classy.

Yeah, I have the black and wish I had went with the rosewood. I've seen it in person, looks great.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Turnip Head posted:

How about some TCA WAF-1s or AV123 ELT525s?

I really really like the 525M for a small speaker. They look extremely nice as well, which is a plus. I use them with the TCA Gizmo t-amp (~$120) and a TSC ASW-8 sub (~$100), and it's a loving awesome computer/bedroom setup for about $400-500.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

WAIL posted:

I was wondering if someone could help me out here. My record player is picking up Mexican radio. Is there any way to stop this? Google tells me to put a ferrite choke around the ground wire so I bought one, and it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

You know what I want to know, why is it always loving Mexican radio stations? I've never had some bullshit pick up a rock station or anything like that. :tinfoil:

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

marjorie posted:

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. My current plan is to change out the speakers around February, so I'll figure out a rearrangement then.

On another note, what is the current recommendation for a headphone amp? I have the art djpre ii phono preamp and some Beyerdynamic DT770 pros (80 Ohm). Is this (Schiit Magni) a good choice to slot between them?

I'd get an O2 off Massdrop over Schiit. Little cheaper too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

marjorie posted:

Hm, looks like maybe this JDS Atom is the successor at a similar pricepoint? Backorder of 2-3 days doesn't seem bad.

Edit: ah, but shipping brings it to almost $20 over the Massdrop O2. And the Massdrop appears to have a better Knob Feel. But the Atom's performance is better. Gah, only 15 hours to decide!

I've never used the Atom, JDL O2 are really nice, altho more expensive. Their stuff is made in the US which is nice too. I doubt you will notice much sound difference between the two, but the JDL has two inputs which might be nice?