Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Merry Christmas to me!

Marantz 2230, sounds amazing.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Recently picked up a Audio-Technica LP 120 to go with my Marantz 2270 and a pair of Infinity SL30 speakers from the early 90s. Sound is pretty amazing, and I really regret getting out of vinyl collecting back in the 90s. There are some amazing record stores in the area, but the used selection is nowhere near what it used to be these days. Trying to find my favorite Melvins albums, Houdini and Stoner Witch, and they are going for upwards of $150 now. :cry:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Was out at my in-laws farm this afternoon, and they asked me to take a look at some old stereo equipment they had in the basement. There was some junk, but they had a Marantz 5220 tape deck in perfect looking condition. I have a matching Marantz 2230 receiver, so I had to bring the 5220 home. Played a few tapes and it seems to work fine, so I hop on ebay to see what it might be worth. Freaking $300 for an as-is unit, up to the $500ish range! I'd love to keep it for myself, but that is crazy money.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is this the right thread for questions on repairing vintage gear? I've got a Marantz 2230 receiver that I want to give some love. It mostly works ok, but I get really loud static and pops when adjusting the volume. I used some Deoxit spray a few years back that seemed to work for the most part, but it gradually came back and is worse now than ever.

I've been tempted to order one of the refresh kits on ebay like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/313853715213 but not sure shot-gunning parts is the right approach.

I ordered a new walnut enclosure for it a few days ago, so want to get it all sorted out before that arrives.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 21, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

my turn in the barrel posted:

Yeah deoxit will need to be reapplied every few years, especially if the pot is super nasty to begin with and if you don't regularly exercise it.

On older gear that is really nasty I will generally start with QD electronics cleaner then crank the pot up and down about 20 times, then repeat then switch to Dexoit and repeat the apply crank up and down 20 times and then repeat to flush out as much as I can with QD before applying the deoxit. Generally after a few yearly cleanings you will get the pots clean enough that they can go longer before needing to be cleaned again.

The only thing you should avoid with deoxit is the tuner gangs which look like fins that will rotate when you adjust the tuner.

Technically they make a separate product called fader lube for the balance control fader but I have always used just regular deoxit on my marantz balance and EQ faders.

Some things like power switched will get burned up over time from use so if possible just hook everything into a PowerBar and plug that into a switched outlet or a smartplug and use that to turn your system on.

Thanks for this. I'll get some QD cleaner ordered and give the pots a good working over. Fingers crossed that might be all I really need to do.

The Science Goy posted:

Where did you order that sexy beast? :swoon:

I want to make an enclosure for my 2238 but I don't know if I can get the grill right, and that looks like a near perfect reproduction in the pic.

I found it on Etsy from a seller called Marantzwoodcase https://www.etsy.com/shop/Marantzwoodcase in Serbia. He didn't have the model I needed in stock, but was able to build a few within a week or so of messaging.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Double post, but I found my 10 year old can of Deoxit so spent a few hours this evening cleaning up the 2230. Happy to say it sounds perfect now, several albums in and no static at all adjusting the volume or any other knobs. I do have a few lamps out, so I ordered a replacement kit for those and will replace the vellum paper when I'm done.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice score! That's a great looking set.

My replacement lamps showed up yesterday. Swapped the fuse style for light blue led. I'll need to desolder and replace the two incandescent bulbs next to the meter for the stereo indicator next. All the selector bulbs still work, so I'm not going to bother re-soldering those. After that just need to finish cleaning and replace the vellum.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enclosure from Serbia showed up much sooner than expected. I'm very pleased with the quality of the work.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Try to sell it for $36.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This might not be the right thread for it, but does anyone have recommendations on nice looking wood speaker stands? Need to replace some old lovely silver and black ones I have that match none of the future and are now delaminating.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

an iksar marauder posted:

There’s a lot of variety here, how much weight do they need to support/how big a base size? And are you looking for tall/slender ones or blockier ones?

Good point! I'm looking for something 18-24" tall that can support an ~15lb bookshelf speaker. Most of the stuff I've seen on Amazon looks pretty crappy, but at the same time I'm not looking to spend $300 on an audiophile site either.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looking like that will be the way to go. I'm much better at functional than pretty, but I guess tackling projects like this is the way to change that. Time to find the woodworking thread!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

As an aside, I like Infinites as much as the next guy but man do their designs look more of a time compared to some other speakers. I think it’s the oak veneer maybe. They sound great though

Yeah these are my wifes speakers she picked up in like 92, and I had a pair of nearly identical JBL speakers from 93. Extremely dated style, but they do still sound great so I haven't really felt the need to upgrade yet.

namlosh posted:

I have a pair of Sony speakers that I bought at auction for about $17. They are 4 feet tall and they work just fine but that part doesn’t matter. I’ll sell them to you for $100 and you can just place your speakers on top of them and not hook them up.

Bing bang boom :)

Hah, in my 20s I had the aforementioned JBL bookshelf speakers and my roommate had some monster Cerwin Vegas. We ended up stacking the JBLs on top and wired them both up at the same time for no good reason, but we felt cool doing it. Those Cerwin Vegas were so loud I don't think you could even tell the difference.

DoesNotCompute posted:

I was about to recommend the Kanto SX22’s but they’re around $300. I would say they’re ceiling of price to performance for stands though. Close to 30lbs of flat black powder coated steel, levelling feet, comes with a full bag for up to 30 more pounds of sand, cable channel, two sizes of speaker mounting bases. But most importantly they just look simple and nice. Not tacky like most of the Amazon offerings. Any more money than that and you’re into audiophile dumb dumb tax.

ephori posted:

Also have a look on Etsy for speaker stands. There’s a huge variety and you can probably find some specific to your model of speaker. I got some steel stands for my hundred-pound Altecs off Etsy made by a dude in Poland, sized exactly to my cabinets.

[Edit] the catch is it took five months to arrive

Those both look great! Think I'm gonna try the DIY route first, but good to see there are some decent options out there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's hot

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sheep posted:

Did you get this from the Vintage Audio Cabinets seller in Orid, Serbia on Etsy? I have 2238 that needs a wooden home and this looks right up my alley if so.

Sorry missed this earlier, I grabbed it from a seller called Marantzwoodcase https://www.etsy.com/shop/Marantzwoodcase

He didn't have the model I needed in stock, but made one within a few days of my contacting him. Seems like he has plans for a lot of different Marantz models.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A composite to HDMI converter should work https://www.amazon.com/s?k=composite+to+hdmi+converter.

I've got a stack of old laserdiscs but haven't had a working player in probably 20 years. I do have a working RCA Selectavision player hooked up to my garage tv with several boxes full of CEDs though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Disc based system in the early 80s that was worse than laserdisc but slightly better than VHS. Got abandoned pretty quickly.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I spent my first paycheck from Best Buy in the mid 90s on a clearance SVHS player and this box set with my employee discount. Still glad that I made that very dumb decision.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

While we're on the topic of 78s, what do I need to get for the ability to play them on my AT-LP120? It's one of the models that has a 78 mode, but if anyone could suggest a cheap cartridge and needle that would rule. My wife came home with a stack of old 78s yesterday that look to be in good shape and was disappointed not to be able to try them out.

e: how much of a hassle is it swapping those out anyway? she enjoys thrifting so might have her stay on the lookout for a turntable we can leave dedicated to 78s

e2: nm I'm a dumbass and missed Ok Comboomers post on this very page

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 31, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

This is the other cool piece of gear I got at that estate sale. Haven’t played around with it yet.

Does that model have a phone jack on the back? My dad had (probably still has) one that my friends and I used to record prank calls on back when the Jerky Boys were popular.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is Savers like a regional Goodwill thrift store type place? I've seen the name pop up in a few threads but have never heard of it before.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looks like a pretty drat beefy amp for $12.50! Hope it works well when you get it home

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao it appears to have sold out already, Christ

Good! I almost talked myself into buying one yesterday when you could still order one, and I was about to break down and do it this evening.

I have zero need or use cases for it, it's just cool.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Seems like Sony could clean up by slapping BT and USB into one of the classic Walkman models, kinda surprised they haven't tried tbh.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

they probably destroyed all of that tooling and manufacturing infrastructure long ago

Sony doesn’t really make their revenue from electronics and personal audio/video stuff anymore, for all that they’re still in TV/phone/media player/radio/car audio/blu ray/etc manufacturing and licensing.

If you look at how Sony is structured today vs the past, this kind of stuff is a relative tiny fraction of their revenue compared to when they were the Walkman/Trinitron company and shipping a gorillion CD player variants.

Sony in 2022 makes the overwhelming bulk of their money off of PlayStation, Sony Pictures/Sony Music, selling camera modules to manufacturers like Apple, and investments in poo poo like financial services.

Even if they wanted to do it, I’m sure that their recent forays into other nostalgia/enthusiast products like their hifi separates and special edition “Walkman” nostalgia bait mp3 player has shown them that the money to make a bunch of new cassette decks is probably much better spent invested in a new Spider-Man movie or Hideo Kojima project or a million other things.

Audio Technica is a “turntables and headphones and microphones, and basically nothing else” company—so for them the relative outlay to bring back a limited run of Sound Burgers has much more value and potential ROI.

Those are all very good points, and yet I still really really want to click the add to cart button on one. :colbert:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have much experience with Marantz turntables from the 70s? I know they aren't as highly regarded as the Pioneers of the era, but I kind of want one to match my receiver. Is it worth paying a bit more to get a direct drive model like a 6150 vs something like a 6100 belt drive?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

strtj posted:

What Marantz gear are you trying to match? I would definitely get a direct drive over a belt drive from that era.

Just checked eBay sales and the high end models (6200 / 6300) are going for absolutely stupid amounts of money. They're fine turntables, sure, but that's a wacky amount of money to be spending for the amount of performance you're getting. Are you more interested in sound quality or are you more interested in having a matched system?

I've got a Marantz 2230, and will be adding a Marantz 5220 tape deck that my in-laws have. I would love a 6200/6300 but lol at paying $1500+ for one. I'm looking more at the 6150 tier and want to keep it under $500. Sound wise I'd just like something that doesn't sound noticeably worse than my AT-LP120.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Is that a new thing from ikea?! It looks drat near perfect.

Yeah, it's an Ikea Obegränsad, basically a Kallax with an extra bit on top. It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's a good doggo

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

my turn in the barrel posted:

That shelf looks great, is it sturdy enough to support 150+ pounds on top? My marantz 150 tuner and 510m power amp weigh a ton and I just added that $20 pioneer RT-707 so I'm slightly concerned it'd be way too heavy. The only thing I would like to add is a 5020 or 5220 cassette deck if I ever find a deal on one but that shouldn't add much to the present system weight.

Beautiful setup! I couldn't find weight limits anywhere in the specs, but it seems like it should be sturdy enough. The top, bottom and sides are hollow core, but I think there is enough vertical support if you kept your amp in the center it would be fine.

quote:

As far as Marantz turntables go, aside from the SLT they were all made by CEC for Marantz and while they look fantastic they are not the greatest turntables for the amount they sell for now.

I lucked into my 6300 for $400 at a record store a few years ago. I threw on a repop dustcover and have only had to deoxit the speed control pots a few times and I still need to replace the strobe as the stock one is intermittent.

That's an awesome score, and much more satisfying than overpaying for one on ebay I'm sure. Honestly I've got no complaints about the LP120, so keeping an eye out locally sounds like a great idea.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Now I want to hear four separate quad systems playing Zaireeka. Surely some crazy person out there has attempted this.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's what veneers are for.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I mean the real answer is buy the ATLP120 so you can play records now, and then start scouting local spots for a promising fixer upper. Then you either flip one or keep both and start hoarding vintage gear like god intended.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Our 2 year old niece KO'd the woofer in a 35 year old Infinity SL30 bookshelf speaker yesterday. Any suggestions for where to get a replacement? And should I replace the one in the other speaker at the same time, or is it possible to get an exact replacement?

I haven't pulled the woofer out of the enclosure yet, but here are the markings on the outside of the speaker if that helps at all.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

She managed to pop out and shred the cone from the woofer.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I bought my first CD player in 1989, and the discs I picked up along with it still play just fine. I do have some old laser discs that are unplayable due to laser rot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Corb3t posted:

I just realized Audio Technica re-released the Sound Burger and I really want one. Pair it with a Sonos Move 2 and I'd a pretty great indoor/outdoor portable vinyl setup.

I picked one up to use as a portable / office player with an old set of powered monitors, and I use it way more often than my main setup now. Highly recommend