Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I picked up a vintage Sony receiver/tape player (HST-399, I think), and I'm getting crackle when I use the volume knob. How do I fix this?
Also, I always thought that if a stereo had a phono input, you wouldn't need an external amp for your record player, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this. Was I wrong, or could something be broken?
The other problem I'm having is the right speaker seems to be broken - it works sometimes when i bend the joint right by the plug (which looks like an RCA plug) but usually I just don't get any sound. Can I just cut the end off and reswizzle the plug somehow, or is there more to it than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005

BattleHork posted:

Taking the knob off and spraying a little Deoxit in the pot behind it may help.
For the cable, it sounds like there's a short right at the end where it goes into the connector. You can get replacement RCA plugs for the cable http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062472 (and the Deoxit) at Radio Shack.
My theory for the Phono input is that it's not really a phono input and it's actually a line input. Try plugging something else in there like a CD/DVD player and see if it sounds normal.

I got those plugs just now, and they mention a ground wire and a conductor wire, but all the contained wires for my speaker look the same (small and silver). How do i go about hooking them up? is part the ground and part the conductor?

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
Gotcha - mine are like the first picture. When you say 'don't short', you mean the wires in each part shouldn't touch, right?
does every little wire have to be wrapped around each part? I only ask because i keep cutting a few of them when i strip the outside plastic :arghfist:

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
Cool - it seems to be working, just a little fragile. This might be a dumb question, but why is OK if some of the wires are cut? I'm assuming they're just transferring a current or something, which is why they don't all need to be there.
AND I tried plugging my CD player into the 'phono' output, and it sounded fine. Why would there be a fake phono input? Isn't the whole point that it amplifies the sound?
Anyways, thanks for the help guys

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
Has anyone tried any of the new TDK life on record stuff? I'm considering the turntable since 1) it has a built in preamp and 2) its really pretty but I haven't heard much about it yet

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005

Owsla posted:

I was all excited about the TDK table but someone posted the specs earlier and they're pretty lovely honestly. Something like <.25 wow and flutter and >60db s/n - Good direct drive tables are usually around <.025 wow and flutter and >75db s/n for reference.

Interesting. How much difference would that acutally make in day to day listening, particularly if I just plan on hooking it up to my soundbar since I don't have a receiver?
Also, are there any new good fully automatic turntables out there?

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
I accidentally hit play on my automatic turntable while I had a 10 inch record on there and the needle dropped onto the slipmat and 'played' for a split second before I rescued it. Is it possible this did any huge/permanent damage to it? It still seems to sound fine.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
Is there an iOS app you can use to scan the barcodes on your records for easy cataloging? I decided I want to take stock of all my stuff but I'll be damned if I have to type things in or put any effort into it

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
My record player ( AT LP60) all of a sudden started sounding...muddy. like it's all cloudy bass and no treble. I tried replacing the stylus and nothing changed, and it's not my amp because the other input on it (aux cord) sounds fine. Does this sound like anything i can fix or should I have spent more than 100 dollars on a turntable a couple years ago

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
Yep, it's been in line mode. It went from working one day to not working the next time I used it. My cat's fault, somehow? probably.

I replaced the stylus and it didn't fix it, is there anything I can do? I don't think anything else is removable/replaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
well, poo poo
Are there any good automatic turntables? I'm really lazy and it looks like most of the turntables people recommend are totally manual