Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I recently came across an Akai AA-1200 receiver while cleaning out my dad's old workshop. It powers up fine and drives the cheapo speaker I had lying around just fine. Dear god is it loud though, I couldn't get past like 2/10 without pissing off the neighbors.

The sound quality was fine at first, but within a couple of minutes a periodic crackling/popping sound starts on its own. It goes off like clockwork without any changes in volume or other input.

I tried spraying in some contact cleaner on the various knobs and switches but this didn't change anything. Should I try to do a better job of cleaning the contact surfaces or is this more likely a capacitor problem? I'm leaning towards caps because it takes awhile for the problem to start and then it happens at regular intervals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'll get some real deoxit and give it a more thorough cleaning. I had been using the sketchy contact cleaner I found with my dad's stuff that has FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY on the side. It's probably from the 80s so god knows what's in it.

Even if I get it cleaned up and working OK is it a good idea to recap it? My ears aren't tuned enough to tell how good it sounds but this appears to be a high end unit that's worth the trouble. If so, how can I go about finding someone qualified to do the work? I have the skills to figure it out myself but zero time to do it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
My mom has an old cabinet-stereo system like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fTuKAQ6fk

The record player stopped working, and repair shop my mom tried to use said these were low quality and not worth fixing. Given that I'm looking for a replacement record player, probably new.

The system uses RCA connectors on the back that seem to be common on modern record players still. I didn't see an obvious way to power the new player from the system but I might doublecheck. If not I'll just have to fish the new one's power cord through the cabinet.

Any recommendations for a basic but solid replacement?

e: added pictures

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 5, 2024

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Sometimes you can get whole consoles for free or cheap. Check Craigslist and local estate sale auctions. If they’re sleeker than the one you have, which is not really the desirable style of furniture right now, you might have to pay something. You could also check eBay for console phonographs that got salvaged from consoles.

The console itself is an heirloom, it was my grandparents.

After doing a bit more research it seems like any decent modern player would work as long as it fits in the console.

Are there any features that are worth seeking out?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

my turn in the barrel posted:

What's wrong with the Zenith Turntable?

Does the table spin?

captain chauncey posted:

So if you're so inclined I wouldn't rule out spending a half a Saturday giving it a good clean in all the underside mechanicals, then order an idler wheel from someone like Voice of Music.

evobatman posted:

These record players were dirt simple. If you just open it up it might be immediately visible whatever is the cause of it not working. It already doesn't work and you already know that nobody else will fix it, it's not like you have anything to lose by messing around with it yourself.

It's been awhile since I played with it, but it seemed to not do anything regardless of input, or which button/switches were on or off. There wasn't anything obviously fried or broken last time I looked at it, but I didn't do much besides flip it over and inspect it.

It could very well be gummed up bearings and you're right that its probably worth poking at it a bit more myself before giving up and buying a new one.

I'll probably be back with more questions soon. Thanks for the help so far.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'll probably be back with more questions soon. Thanks for the help so far.

I'm back with some more questions about the Zenith console record player I'm trying to get working.

Previously I'd thought it needed a full restoration, but I misremembered and it has in fact been nicely cleaned and lubricated.

I played around with it for awhile and it seemed to work as intended, but both of the old needles I had on hand didn't seem to work right. One was clearly broken and didn't work at all, the other worked just barely but sounded awful.

Where's a good place to source replacement needles? I don't have the first clue what I'm looking for so I'm hoping this machine uses fairly standard ones

The back of the package one of them came in looks like this:

e: added pic

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 25, 2024

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

Forgive if I get a bit too basic here, but you said you don't have the first clue on what you're looking for so I'm gonna roll with that.

That's a 78RPM needle, which will only work with shellac 78RPM discs. For the most part, getting good sound out of those discs and needles isn't really feasible, because they didn't sound all that good ever. For example, listen to the internet archive's 78RPM archive here https://archive.org/details/78rpm

This also means they won't work on more "modern" records, which are 33 1/3rd or 45rpm and take a completely different type of needle. Hopefully you didn't try to play a 33 1/3rd rpm with it, you might have damaged them.

I would directly contact the folks over at https://www.turntableneedles.com/ and tell them what you have. They'll likely be able to tell you what you need, and might even stock it.

Thanks!

I'll look into the site you linked at the end.

We definitely tried to play the wrong type of record with it but picked one that no one cared about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

captain chauncey posted:

You’ll want a new flip over needle that has a 0.7mm tip for LP’s, compared to 78’s that use a 3mm. They’re pretty easy to source but here’s one such place:

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=855&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Tetrad&Categories=

If that box is indeed the correct 78 stylus, it suggests you have a Tetrad 13 or 33 (which is plausible, they were fitted to quite a few of those tables).

If you don’t have any 78’s and have no plans on ever playing one, the M855-DD77 has both sides with LP styli. The M855-DS73 has the more classic setup, one LP diamond and the other side a sapphire for 78s.

Again you’ll want to confirm this is your cartridge, I’m basing this on the assumption that box is for your cartridge to begin with. You can usually reach out to them for some needle help to be sure.

Thanks for the lead, I sent V-M a question email.

After googling for half an hour I think I understand your explanation. It also reminded me that the needles we had on hand did have two sides and I'm pretty sure mom corrected me when I had it on the 78 side.

These needles are definitely of unknown origin though.