Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

I'm buying a new turntable, and my two main candidates are the Rega P3(24v) and a Technics SL-1200mk2. The Technics seems like it would have more longevity, but Technics turntables are really expensive where I live (Norway). Well, that is to say it costs about the same as a Rega P3, but the Rega seems to be in a much higher price class than the Technics in America. Would I get more for my money with a Rega P3, assuming it costs the same as a Technics SL-1200mk2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

andretti posted:

You're starting to get into the quality realm where you have to listen to both TTs and see which one you like better. However, if they were the same price and I couldn't listen to them both, I'd get the P3.

I've listened to the P3, and I liked it a lot. I've always been interested in the 1200mk2 for some reason, though, which is unfortunate because the only stores that sell them here are DJ-shops, and that would mean having to buy online without getting a chance to listen to it.

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

Pibborando San posted:

The Technics will have the edge in pitch stability and accuracy. The Regas are known to be 1% too fast on average. The Rega arm is better than the Technics' though. HOWEVER, the 1200 has an incredible upgrade potential. Check out kabusa.com They sell mods and accessories for the 1200 that will transform it into a truly high-end deck.

Here's what I'm eventually going to be doing to my own:
- Herbie's Way Excellent II Turntable Mat
- TTWeights record clamp
- Cardas tonearm re-wire*
- New headshell (LP Gear Zupreme)*
(after those two, the Technics' arm can compete with the Rega's)
- Nice budget cart (Denon DL-110)
- Tonearm Fluid Dampener*
(Technics' arm now kicks the Rega's rear end)
- External Power Supply*

*Upgrades exclusive to the 1200

Since I live in Norway, buying anything from kabusa would end up being incredibly expensive, due to shipping cost and import tax. I don't really know about any comparable Norwegian sites, or I'd consider that.

How about something like the ProJect RPM5 or RPM 6.1?

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

Pibborando San posted:

I was looking at the RPM5 before I decided on the Technics. Here's a good review.

I'm not really sure what to get, though. I'd probably get a DL-110 for the Technics and use the stock pickup on the ProJect, at least in the beginning. I assume you think the Technics is quite good even without the modifications?