Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

helsabot posted:

Gotcha - mine are like the first picture. When you say 'don't short', you mean the wires in each part shouldn't touch, right?
does every little wire have to be wrapped around each part? I only ask because i keep cutting a few of them when i strip the outside plastic :arghfist:

It is a-ok if you cut a few of the smaller wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Are you running it in Phono mode through a phono port? It being that bassy makes me think maybe the RIAA curve is being double applied. Try switching it to Line and see if that helps.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

helsabot posted:

Yep, it's been in line mode. It went from working one day to not working the next time I used it. My cat's fault, somehow? probably.

I replaced the stylus and it didn't fix it, is there anything I can do? I don't think anything else is removable/replaceable.

Not really too much else unless you took it all apart, but even then those entry level turntables don't have a lot of places to fix them. You could try it's internal phono amp in the aux input to see if it's related to that.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I would double check the turntable's phono mode through your amp's aux port before buying a new one. It would suck to get a new one and have the same problem come back.

Another thing that's possible is that maybe the angle of the headshell changed? I'm not sure how much movement there is on it, but it would sound boomy if the back end is angled down when playing a record.

As far as recommendations, I have an old BIC 960 that's fully automatic. They need to be opened and re-oiled, but they're much cheaper than the other vintage turntables listed above, but a step above modern automatic tables. I paid somewhere around $50 for mine on Craigslist and love it. I think most tables above $100 are manual these days, unfortunately.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

dentist toy box posted:

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out is wrong with my TT, it's a MCS 6602, which from what I've heard is pretty much an off brand Technics. But anyways when i move the tonearm to the platter the strobe comes on and the platter spins for a second then stops. I'm guess it's a motor problem, but where would be a good place to start on trying to figure out whats wrong?

Kind of a dumb question, but does the turntable have a record on it? I know some older tables would shut down if they don't sense anything on the table.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
If you want to go even cheaper, I have this one for $16 and it sounds fine paired with the older, class-t version of this amp (though I saw a review of the class-d version and they said it was worse than the older ones). If you have a decent amplifier at all, you should be fine.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Folks, this is a periodic reminder to replace your record stylus if it's been a while. I bought a Grado Black probably 6-7 years ago and haven't really thought about it. Recently I've noticed my records sound crackly, even with new records or records I knew were clean. I was going through the "should I buy a new cartridge" motions, but finally settled on the straight $50 stylus replacement and the difference is instantly noticable. It's so silent now! It's amazing!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Stan Taylor posted:

I gotta upgrade my current stock one that came with my u-turn but I'm worried about mucking up the installation of it, particularly adjusting the counterweight. I'm probably just overthinking it.

You should do it! Maintenance and upgrades are some of the most fun parts of owning a turntable. The difference between a stock cartridge and even a mid-tier cartridge is pretty big sometimes.

Besides, it's cool being a turntable owner in 2018 because any minor thing you need to adjust on it has a 30 minute video on YouTube of some guy in A. a grimy garage adjusting it, B. an extremely messy bedroom adjusting it, or C. a room with $30,000 worth of equipment adjusting it. So just go for it!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

wa27 posted:

Got this BIC 940 turntable at the Goodwill for $3 last week. It looks like it's in great physical shape but the platter is frozen solid (and I've probably ruined something by manually turning it). I've been soaking it with penetrating oil for a couple days. Tried a soldering iron to loosen it, tapping it with a hammer, and nothing's working.

Here's hoping it comes free after some more penetrating oil I guess. :(

It's pretty common with old BICs that didn't get used for years. I recommend going down the rabbit hole and taking it apart, cleaning each part, then carefully regreasing and putting back together. There are a few guides you can find on Google and a few videos on YouTube. I did it a few years ago with my BIC 960 and I love it.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I found a real beat up Bic 960 on Craigslist for $20 and thought “what the heck, I’ll clean it, fix it up, and sell it for a profit.” After a month of cleaning, greasing, and bending the mechanisms back in place, it’s finally ready to go, but now I’m attached to it! The problem is now my living room looks like this:

Is it pathetic to have two of the same turntables? Is there a legitimate case I could make for keeping both??

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
This is a good idea especially because one of them is a 6-record multiplayer so I’m potentially setting myself up for infinite plays.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Admittedly I’ve done this with albums that I have two copies of. It’s pretty convenient playing a whole album without getting up!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Earlier this week Steve Guttenberg published a video on his YouTube channel where he said something like

“I don’t recommend buying a used vintage turntable from a stranger via eBay/craigslist anymore unless there’s a specific collector/hobbyist reason to do so. Inheriting a table is great, buying one from somebody you know or trust is fantastic. Supporting a business that specializes in repairing/reselling old equipment is awesome.

But whatever savings you get buying vintage on the internet or from strangers these days (post-vinyl resurgence) isn’t worth the hassle of a table that you might never get fully ‘right’ and there are too many tight tolerances around turntables to make that worthwhile.”

At $200 I’d imagine there’s probably more wrong with that 1200 than just some dirty contacts, but that’s me. Admittedly, I’m still salty about the “perfectly working” Harman/Kardon TT I bought for $60 back in 2013 that had a barely noticeable/ultimately fatal bent shaft.

This feeling has actually kept me from selling a Bic 960 that I bought off of Craigslist and fixed up. I'm worried that even though it's working fine now and i fixed its major problems (of which there were many), there's still some other problem waiting to arise that will affect whoever buys it. I know that doesn't matter, but I still would feel bad, especially if I listed it as "fixed" or "repaired" or something.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Decided I’d treat myself and upgraded my preamp to a Schiit Mani and now my Grado Black sounds bad and I’m going insane because none of my adjustments are fixing it so i guess i have to upgrade that now!!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

lookslikerain posted:

Do I need to justify buying things?

I wanted a 3 head recorder. It's a cool 3 head recorder.

Looking cool + being a 3-head is almost the entire checklist for getting a cassette deck, imo.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I had the positive wires swapped on my turntable headshell. What sort of weird audio effect would i have had? Everything was still in phase, but channels reversed. Or do both the ground/negative wires work the same?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
In case you haven’t seen, there are apps designed for testing turntable speeds. RPM on iOS is my go to for making sure my table is going the right speed and it should take any guesswork out of seeing the pitch.

Good entry level needles that are recommended a lot include the Ortofon red or blue, the Nagaoka MP-110, Grado... etc, lots of good stuff out there that start around $100, but have upgrades for a bit more cash. I have a Nagaoka MP-200 that was $350 and sounds amazing!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Someone else correct me if I’m wrong, but i don’t think you need to worry about bootlegs. The ortofon carts are commonly included with new tables and i bet the generic packaging is related to that.

I also wouldn’t worry about much more than just the cartridge + alignment, belt, and pitch correction right now. Like they said, headshells are pretty much all the same and new ones are mostly useful for swapping carts easily. New tonearms are an audiophile upgrade that most people don’t do. You should be pretty well set with what you have once everything is tuned in!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Shout out to the guy who wrote in the margins of the Onkyo Ta-2056 3-head cassette deck service manual and then uploaded it to hifiengine. There’s a problem with the bias pot on the front of these machines and he made sure to note where it was in the circuit and what was wrong. Now mine works perfectly :cool:

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

There’s a special seat in Audio Valhalla for those guys

Seriously. I was prepared to go through a audio signal routing exercise until i figured I’d at least test what he wrote first and what do you know...

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Extremely random question, but I’ve had bad luck with 3.5mm to RCA cables in the past and want a better way to connect a few things to my system (specifically an Activo CT10 and my Apple airport express). Are there any boxes that take in 3.5mm and output RCA or is this dumb enough that I’ll have to diy it? Mainly the cables are too lopsided and eventually the 3.5mm side starts getting loose and breaking the connection.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

Hosa 3.5 to RCA cables are very solid and not very expensive. I trust them on critical duty.

Specifically this kind https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032IBYY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_8955FbG3EAWEE?psc=1

This is a definite possibility. I saw these while browsing Amazon but eventually everything blended together and the the reviews for cables like this aren’t always great. I like that they’re not too expensive.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Honestly you’re better off getting an inexpensive DAC of some sort (Schiit Modi at the top end, SMSL or FiiO if you want to go a bit cheaper) that has optical and USB ins.

Airport Express has a fancy combi-jack that combines 3.5mm with optical and most digital audio players today will output via USB without much fuss.

This is also a good idea. I’ve thought about it before, but like the dac in the CT10. The idea of connecting both it and the airport though is very appealing and i also have a schiit mani so it’d fit right in.

Thanks you two, I’ll probably get indecisive and end up ordering both.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Ignore the kids toys, but just got back a pair of DCM Time Windows that i loaned off... 8 years ago or so? I have a much better amp and source setup now and they sound pretty cool. Big sound stage that changes drastically depending on how you have them positioned. Not sure I’m ready to make them my main drivers, but wanted to share!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

large hands posted:

I love those old seventies speakers, reminds me of my epi m400 towers I blew up that had 4 tweeters and 4 mids each facing in a different direction.

It’s a neat effect and after using them for 3ish hours I’ve really warmed up to the sound. They just require such specific positioning and it doesn’t really fit in with my life right now (see baby toys).

The one thing i regret is that they revealed motor hum in my turntable that isn’t as forward on my other speakers. Now i feel like i gotta fix it...

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Discernibly Turgid posted:

Check to see if your motor’s bottom bearing needs a drop of light machine oil. If the bearing isn’t shot/in the process of failing, that usually stops noise from the actual motor.

If the hum in question is making it’s way from the table to your speakers, that’s a matter of grounding (assuming it’s not a new USB/contains an active preamp type,) as the cartridge has no electrical connection to any of the table electronics.

Ding ding, it was the motor bearing.

I have a Bic 960 and the motor bearing is a thin sliver of metal that wedges in below the rotor. I used to have issues with it making a loud scraping noise, so I actually replaced it with a firm piece of plastic. This fixed the noise, but after a few years the plastic must’ve gotten worn down because it was sagging enough for the rotor to misalign to the magnets, causing the entire deck to vibrate. The vibrations were then coming through the speakers as a rumbling noise.

Back when I was originally getting the scraping noise, folks recommended a bit of sewing machine oil on the bearing to lubricate. I didn’t have sewing machine oil at the time and none of the other oils I had (generic “hobby oil” and white lithium grease) both didn’t work. I’ve since bought sewing machine oil for my tape decks, so I put a drop on the original bearing, put it back, and everything is working and sounding perfectly. I’ll be interested to see if the sewing machine oil lasts or if the noise will come back, but for now it is nice, silent, and not rumbling.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

petit choux posted:

Wow, thanks! Any more takers?

I use the non-phono version of this for my records and it works just fine! I like that it’s powered through it’s USB connection and that it works with my iPad.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Animale posted:

I feel special, I replaced my first cartridge without destroying anything. The dog jumped into the table while I was playing something and the needle became toast (and scratched up a Yeah Yeah Yeahs lp). I ended up upgrading my Rega Bias to an Elys 2 since I already have a Rega phono preamp that's designed for their cartridges.

Anyway, how isn't there a standard plug and play method to just plug in a new cartridge? I'm sure it's due to customization purposes. Aside from the high end Ortofon Black that plugs into S-shaped tone arms, is there another one that lets you unscrew a part and plug it in? It's silly that in this year of our Lord 2021 you still need a protractor to verify that your cartridge is setup correctly.

Yes, that exists! You are describing p-mount cartridges. They just aren’t as popular.

E: https://www.lpgear.com/category/T4P.html

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
A bit random, but does anyone know anything about universal remotes with audio equipment?

I have a B&K Preamp that I got for cheap on eBay that has a broken screen. It works fine, but selecting a source isn’t easy since your current source is shown on the screen as you cycle through them.

The official remote has buttons for each of the sources, but they’re old and out of stock, so I’m looking at universals, but I can’t tell if there’s some way to know if it’ll work with my unit. I’ve found hex codes (?) for the specific model (pt 3 series II) and generic 3/4/5 digit codes for B&K receivers. Will I just have to dive in and try one out? Does anyone have any ideas on what to look for?

E: I see some custom programmed/labeled remotes from different sources, but they’re $30. Hoping for around $10 or less considering how much generic universal remotes go for, but I may have to spring for it.

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 9, 2021

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

RIP Paul Walker posted:

If you can find an old used Harmony remote, you'll be in good shape.

This might be the way to go, to really make sure it works. I didn’t realize they were so cheap, thanks!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
The follow-up to this post is that I got a Harmony 700 for $15 shipped and it works perfectly, so thank you for the suggestion!

We rearranged our furniture and finally have room for standing speakers, so I was able to get my DCM Time Windows set up. I bought them 10+ years ago for $50 from Craigslist and eventually gave them to my brother-in-law because we were moving cities and I didn't want to have to haul them alongside everything else. I got them back earlier this year and they've been in the basement, waiting until we had space. They're such cool speakers: 2 tweeters and 2 subwoofers per speaker, each pair facing different directions. Leads to very clear mids and highs, tight bass that fill the entire room, so you can stand almost anywhere and have it image like it should.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
You could get a Chromecast Audio for *searches eBay* $75? Jesus Christ!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
You could get something raspberry pi based to stream, like volumio or roon. A hifiberry dac hat sounds great and gives you RCA out.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Christ dude just search amazon for spotify streamer. There are a lot of options:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077NC44SH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9DKCZ5GX9ZCTFYGXANZB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TG9L22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JRCS2ZNY1DRSSW04B7TS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WF95GCQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D3K3AR1SP26Y747B09KR

Budget option:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GHPS9G1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NQFX907AE5KM6AT5EPPQ

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Casual Encountess posted:

no poo poo dude i can search amazon. i came into this thread reasonably expecting some firsthand experience on this fairly common use case because the options, like always, are overwhelming.

dont be an rear end in a top hat.

People have given options and you still keep moving goalposts and changing what you want. Get some sort of bluetooth dongle or a cheap wifi streamer. If you want something higher end then try to be a bit more specific.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

imagine the sort of loving moron who drops $1600 on a network streamer because he searched Amazon instead of asking some goony goons who live for this poo poo for like a modicum of advice

Searching amazon for spotify streamer brings up all sorts of “white label” chromecast alternatives for <$100, just like he was looking for.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but like half of those are poo poo?

Yeah and people posted the non poo poo options above and he said “no not those”

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Casual Encountess posted:

yes and a lot of them look like garbage which is why i came here to ask

lmao no my original query still stands

im just curious how you thought $1500 boxes were totally reasonable midmarket replacements for a chromecast audio

I gave you a budget option.

E: besides a Chromecast Audio has a 3.5mm jack and not hdmi like a chromecast. There’s your best option.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

TheMadMilkman posted:

I know it’s not great from a technical standpoint. But it has two meters and mechanical switches. It’s fun to play with.

I have a weird affinity towards BIC because i have one of their automatic turntables from the 70s that i love, so i said “oh nice” when i saw the logo. It’s a very nice looking device even if it’s not technically great!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Imo audio quality was perfected in 2002 when i downloaded The Legend of Zelda by System of a Down.mp3 and anyone disagreeing is a mentally ill audiophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

“change an old belt” is a pretty ‘meh’ kind of tinkering

Get an old automatic, like a Bic 960, and you can spend hours degreasing then re-greasing everything!