Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helvetica Sucks
Aug 4, 2005
I've got a new brain.

HKR posted:

Hey there, I'm somewhat of a newbie at vinyl and vintage stereo equipment. Until recently I owned an old Kenwood KD-5077 belt driven turn table. It had horrible buzzing problems despite being grounded and the left channel would cut in and out all the time, making listening annoying.

Today however after dropping some junk off at good will I wandered in and found a Technics Direct Drive SL-QD3 for $30. It powered up and spun, so we took it home and tested it out.

It's a pretty decent beginner turntable. It came with an Audio Technica AT402EP cartridge. I'm not quite sure if I want to replace it yet. If I did, I'm not sure with what. It uses a P-mount cart system. I'm looking for something in the $30-$50 range to start off with.

As for amps, I'm still looking for a cheap vintage one. At good will I noticed a Pioneer SX-XXXX receiver and fiddled with it for a bit. The volume crackled and the input selector nob would cause more crackling and something a channel would drop out. At $20 I would have grabbed it and tried to fix it, but they wanted $50 and I couldn't justify that to myself. If any of you can justify it for me I might just go and grab it.
Although it's hard to say from your description, a crackling volume control is simply the result of it being dirty. This happens with many old amplifiers and is relatively easy to fix. You can just unscrew the top panel of the amplifier and spray something like Caig Deoxit Faderlube into each potentiometer that crackles (like balance, bass, treble, etc). This explains it pretty well: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-13956.html (MCL is now called Faderlube, fyi) There should be a hole in each potentiometer that you can spray the stuff into. I would use only as much as you need.

It's up to you, though. It sounds like this is an easy fix, but YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helvetica Sucks
Aug 4, 2005
I've got a new brain.

HKR posted:

Impatient as I am, I wasn't satisfied with what I was finding at my local thrift shots when it came to vintage receivers. So I started scouring ebay and found a guy who was selling a Pioneer SX-525. What attracted me to his ad was that he stated he had recently cleaned all the pots and the multitude of photos. $40 later and today I find it at my doorstep.

My god, what a world of difference this makes compared to the crappy AV Receiver I was using. I am hearing things I never used to hear before. The best part is that the AV Receiver I was using cost something like $350 new when we got it many years ago.

Also good is that this receiver is breathing new life into this crappy bookshelf speakers I was using. They still don't sound the best and I do want to replace them, but I can safely delay that for now.

I'm also planing on sticking a Grado Green Prestige Series cart in when I replace the speakers.

Nice buy. That blue glow is great and it's nice that you found one that's been recently cleaned.

Check out the speaker building thread if you want to upgrade your speakers... the Microbe design is a nice set for not much (under 200) cash. If you've got any amount of woodworking and soldering skills (however rudimentary), you should be able to learn pretty quickly and have some fun doing it. As an alternative, you might be able to find an pair of speakers in good condition from the 70s on craigslist for maybe 50 to 100 bucks. I would recommend some Advent, EPI, or Genesis bookshelves.

Helvetica Sucks
Aug 4, 2005
I've got a new brain.

CRAYON posted:

Can anyone tell me if Genesis 210's are good for $30? Out of the little information I can find on these I think it seems like a deal, but I wouldn't mind a little more help. Hopefully before tomorrow if at all possible. Tomorrow night I plan on checking them out, for better or worse.

If they're in good condition, go for it. Genesis speakers were well-regarded for their time, and though technology has advanced, 30 bucks is so little it doesn't really matter.

If they're not in good condition, you might be able to refoam the woofers if they've deteriorated. Hell, you could probably part them out and make your money back.

Some info:
http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/genmsrp.htm
http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/gen210.htm

Helvetica Sucks
Aug 4, 2005
I've got a new brain.

CRAYON posted:

Well, I picked up the Genesis 210's today. This is my first "serious" audio purchase if you can call it that, and I am really blown away. I've always been apprehensive about audio equipment, but now I am a believer. The only problem is the lows (they are barely there). Me and my stepfather have come to the conclusion that this is caused by the crappy foam. The foam is so old that it literally falls apart when you touch it.

What I wanted to ask is; if I buy this how difficult is it for a newbie? Kind of awesome that the foam is more than the speakers, but I don't want to buy the foam and then ruin it or something. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can't really chime in as I've never actually refoamed, but there are some good videos on youtube about how to refoam the speaker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uao7wSRU8ms

Helvetica Sucks
Aug 4, 2005
I've got a new brain.

Wobbly Mike posted:

Ok so I won myself a marantz 2245 from Ebay and I now need to find some speakers. I want to spend between 150 and 200 for some bookshelf's does anyone have any suggestions?

Head over to the speaker building thread if you like power tools and woodworking. The speakers in the OP run between 150-200 or so.

Infinity Beta20: cheap price, don't know how they sound. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ygtCjCVRqCjCVRq
Some cheap Bostons, know someone who has them. Sound OK, could probably use a sub (like the Beta20s) http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-Horizon-HS50-Midnight/dp/B000W9DO5C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241219929&sr=8-1

Honestly, your best value at that price range is going to be from a speaker kit or on the used market. Look on your local craigslist for used speakers--if they're in good condition, chances are they'll outperform the two options I gave you.