Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Wedemeyer posted:

I noticed that when I play a record with no headphones or speakers turned on the table itself is 'playing' the record. By that I mean I can faintly hear the songs playing. Why is it doing that? I thought I needed speakers for that.
Because that's how records work. They're a single, long groove of the waveform of the music. You're hearing the stylus play the groove.

quote:

I notice many people are using carbon brushes and cleaning solutions. Could I just use canned air to clean off my records, or do I really need those two instruments?
That will get surface junk off, which is what carbon brushes mainly do. The important part that wet cleaning does is get the dust and crap out of the smaller, deeper grooves of the record. I give all of my albums an initial wet cleaning by hand, then a quick carbon brush on the platter every time I play them.

You don't need a VPI/Nitty Gritty, though. I hand clean mine with microfiber cloth and some homemade fluid from http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/fluids.html . Give them a decent amount of time to dry so you don't gently caress up your stylus. It's a little time consuming if you have a lot of records, though. I've got a backlog of probably 100 albums I haven't gotten around to cleaning yet.

quote:

Also, how straight should records stand on their edges? Because I noticed one or two of my maxis' edges were slightly flipping outwards--not very noticeably until you put it on a table and turn it while watching its side. Should I squish all my records together?
Records should stand as straight up as possible, without being squished together to much. Squishing them together, either by having a lot leaning on each other, shelving them to tight, or stacking them horizontally causes ringwear. Ringwear's the worn circle on the cover caused by pressing it against the record inside. Really heavy horizontal stacking can also cause compression warps, but you probably won't run into that. When you lean a bunch of records together, make sure you're not doing to many or the few records they're leaning against can warp against the edge/taco from the combined weight of the stack it's supporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU