Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
Wow lots of people have the Marantz 2245 too!

Not sure if y'all can help, but I brought her out of my dads basement and it worked great for a few weeks, but now I'm starting to notice some fuzziness in the right channel. I'm using it as a headphone amp on my computer so its driving me crazy.

I never cleaned it up, is there something fairly simple I could do that might help ? I really don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks to have it fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proton
Dec 23, 2005
So I cleaned the entire receiver, only to find out it was a bad 1/8" extension wire....

Oh well, it needed a good cleaning anyway. The knobs move easier now and there is no fuziness at all when changing the volume like there used to be.

Helloooo mildew:

edit:

The sound is scratchy off and on for certain frequencies for a good 15 minutes after being turned on. Is this normal ? After that its pretty much flawless. Is that just the way these old units are ?

proton fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 3, 2009

proton
Dec 23, 2005
Inherited a JVC QL-A2 and have since put on a Shure m97xe. I'm really enjoying it, with some slight speed issues.

It had some pretty severe issues at first, so I opened her up and found the potentiometers that affect the speed which are just two little black "screws" on the main circuit board.

I sprayed em with DeOxit, moved em around alot, and everything seemed to be fine and dandy. Now that Ive been listening more, I'm noticing some slight intermittent pitch shifts. They generally last less than a second. I don't notice it with vocals, mainly string instruments.

Do you think this is the dirty pots, or dirty, warped records ? Intuition tells me that a warped record could cause some slight, intermittent shifts.

I'm not certain yet, but it seems to get better after the table has been spinning a little while, which would lead me to think its the pots, but I don't see any corrosion.

Any words of wisdom ?

Also, this may seem like a silly question...

I only have old records. Either my dads, or from a used record store. Pretty much nothing past 1985, so chances are they are all recorded analog.

Does a modern pressing, recorded and mixed through a DAW, share all the same wonderful characteristics that older, all analog recordings have ?

edit:

I played with the pots some more. Turned them lower, problem got worse, turned it slightly up, and it helped. I wish I could just open them up and clean them for real but I'm scared they will break. The problem is alleviated for now, I guess. Still cant get the quartz lock indicator to go green, though.

proton fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 12, 2011

proton
Dec 23, 2005

Paperweight posted:

I ended up replacing all the electrolytic capacitors on a JVC's DC motor control board. It helped quite a bit with speed stability issues. That and cleaning the bits of old belt off the platter and motor spindle. A bit of grease or oil on the platter bearing/shaft helps too.

I was curious about that. I think I'll go ahead and replace the caps. Thanks.