Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Snowy posted:

Hello turntable thread.. I've been really lax about my record collecting and listening in the last 10 years, so I'm looking to get rid of two of my three turntables. Maybe you guys would know how much I should be asking for them.

I've got two SL1200 M3D's, which as I can recall weren't that well received. The have no dust covers and I let them get criminally dusty, but otherwise they haven't been used a lot. The needles are garbage I'm sure and I don't have the original packaging.

Can you help me set a price so I can throw em up on Craigslist?

Thanks

phone pic:

Depending on where you live, I think you could ask ~350 for each and get 275-300. I just bought a couple mkIIs for 250 apiece but they were in good but not great condition. Black, though, and with dustcovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

To get rid of noise there are plenty of machines that vacuum the grooves out, or even run a string with cleaning solution on them through the duration of the record to get grit out.
The string actually isn't there to get the grit out of the grooves, it's there to keep a tiny bit of distance between the suction nozzle and the record.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Good question. I'm a recent college grad with loans and a degree in an art and a science and no desire to go to grad school who is currently working in Entertainment. TLDR: not a lot. Also, I need to get an amplifier/reciever/speakers/headphones- so again, not a lot and I'll probably try to hold onto this TT for a long haul if I can. That's why I'm sort of splitting hairs on '$500 vs. $400 vs. etc.' If $100 is going to buy me a TT with a sizable difference from one worth a bit less that can't be overcome with a cartridge/arm upgrade in the future, I may as well go for whatever gives me the most "quality staying power"-so to speak. I won't be upgrading to an $800+ table anytime within the next several years.

Edit: If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions (and "used Technics 1200" doesn't count- I've been looking on craigslist/ebay for almost 4 months and the ones I've gone out and seen in my sub-$500 range have definitely not been worth buying), I'm way open. I am a bit of a whore for aesthetic design (hence looking at the Debut/MMF 2.2) and I like the "colorful modernist slab" look but I can obviously chuck that out the window for tangible playing quality.

If you're interested in the Pro-Ject RM5 SE, I might be willing to part with mine.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

So I've been wanting to get some speakers to use with my TT for a while, and while visiting my grandmom the other day, she pointed out a pair of Magneplanar SMGa speakers that my uncle recommended she buy in the early 90s which have never really been used. She seemed to indicate that I could have them, but I didn't have time to research them before I left. I looked them up this morning, and it looks like they go for around $300+ used these days. I don't know if they'd need to have any work done from not being used much, though. People seem to think that they're pretty nice speakers for the price. Anyone else have experience with them? They look pretty sweet.

Maggies sound good if you have a large room to put them in. They sound their best when sitting 6 feet away from any wall. It's no wonder your grandma never used them. That said, they'd be worth grabbing and experimenting with.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

Someone called and is selling a Linn LP12 for 500, mid 80's model with no suspension but included is a new suspension package, no arm but everything else. Thoughts? I need 45.. I should just get a 1200.

How much are you looking to spend on a tonearm?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

I have a Herbies mat and like it a lot. Can't say whether or not it was an upgrade in SQ but anything was better than felt. I've been happy with it.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

Is there a goon-recommended vinyl cleaning solution that does not involve DIY? I've been reading this thread and the other vinyl thread in NMD over the past few weeks on my phone, but stupidly have not saved links I have seen so am asking for input now.

What's your budget? I have an Okki Nokki and it does the trick, but it's around $500 I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Damo posted:

Just got a gigantic upgrade package of turntable goodness.

Got myself a Rega RP6 demo/open box in perfect new condition for 25% off the usual price. The RP6 comes with the Rega TT external PSU standard. It actually won't even work without it -- the turntable lacks a built in power supply, which is awesome. It came fitted with a Rega Exact II cartridge as well.

To go with this absolutely gorgeous and fantastic turntable I ordered a set of kits from bottlehead.com. I got the Reduction phono pre and the S.E.x 2.1 headphone/loudspeaker amp with the c4s upgrade board. After it arrives, and a few fun nights of soldering and building, I will have a new tube amplification system to go with my RP6.

My vinyl is going to sound better than ever. This is a crazy upgrade from my current poo poo. Here's some stock pictures of the gear:

Rega RP6. 24v with RB303 Tonearm and Exact II Cartridge.

Rega TT External PSU (Also switches rotation between 33/45. No need to move the belt manually.)

Bottlehead Reduction

Bottlehead S.E.X 2.1

Speakers are next on the upgrade list, but that is way far off. I've spent too much money on this poo poo plus other unrelated gear and expenses recently. My speaker setup, while pretty budget, actually sounds drat good. I'm rocking some semi-custom built monitors. Dayton Audio 6 1/2" woofers / 1 1/8" tweeters. I got the kit from Parts Express. It's a pretty drat good set of monitors/bookshelf speakers. To my ears they sound great for the price. Each one is sitting on top of a Dayton Audio SUB-1000 for some low end.

Congrats. That Bottlehead stuff you got there is some amazing stuff. When the time comes for speakers, I'd recommend http://blumensteinaudio.com/. My friend Clark makes them by hand out of really dense bamboo ply and uses all Bottlehead to demo his speakers. They pair really nicely. I listen to them through my Nelson Pass F5 solid state amp and they shine there, too.