Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc
Wow, perfect timing. I just picked up an old Technics/Panasonic Quad receiver. Straight out of 1974, the SA-6000X.

Specs

It's got everything I want out of a classic receiver: blue lights, big knobs, silver front, and wood paneling. And, as is typical, it's really heavy.

I recently got an old El Camino with an 8 track player and found out that they made quad 8 tracks back in the day, so I'm going to get an old home 8 track player that outputs quad next. I've got a late 70's Pioneer stereo receiver, the SX-780, currently powering my 360, TV, and DVD player with some full-range floor speakers. Sounds killer, but I want some analog surround as well.

Of course, this can't do Dolby digital and all that, so it's not like I'm going to get surround out of the newer technology. I'll get a modern receiver for that someday in the future.

So anyway, anyone have suggestions for some speakers that'd match this receiver? I'd happily buy some older stuff and have it re-coned if need be, just would like the four to match. This doesn't put out a ton of wattage, 35 each channel in stereo and 14 each in quad, but as has been said these are numbers from a different time in hi-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

andretti posted:

Awesome buy, that thing looks minty. Where did you find it?
Ebay, got it for I think $40. I'll probably go through it in a few weeks and refresh all the components that need it.

Chaucer posted:

here's my current stereo.

a Marantz 2245 receiver

Those Marantz receivers have such great designs. I'll probably get one eventually, but it's out of my price range for now.

dj_pain posted:

ok ive been inspired by this thread and want to get a vintage amp. Im looking at a pioneer SX-408 or a Technics SU-Z25 which one should i get ?
If you just want an amp, then the Technics is more practical. Do you want your setup to have a design theme, or not? I'm trying to stick with all Panasonic/Technics equipment since I've already got some Technics turntables and the receiver as well as an 8 track recorder. When buying older equipment, I'd suggest finding a brand you like and then researching which model they put out during the 70's (or whenever) that fits your wattage/aesthetics/features needs.

Sites like this are a great resource as far as a listing of models and their specs.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

CuddleChunks posted:

I miss the reel-to-reel unit I got to use when doing radio stuff in college. Cutting tape and making weird little mixes and such was a lot of fun.
This is exactly why a person should want to own a reel-to-reel setup. Splicing audio provides years of enjoyment, especially if you get a show on the local college radio station.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc
I was about to take all four of my Technics 1200's to this shop in Denton, but they appear to not be doing any work. Guess I'll be looking for a new place to get work done, preferably closer to Houston.

WAIL posted:

I was wondering if someone could help me out here. My record player is picking up Mexican radio. Is there any way to stop this? Google tells me to put a ferrite choke around the ground wire so I bought one, and it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

How old is your house? My place is over eighty years old and the owner never really grounded the plugs properly, although he did put in three-prong outlets to be confusing. Some of my friends' guitar amps pick up the radio stations, but my AV setup hasn't as of yet. The worst is our practice space where my friend has a small recording studio set up. He picks up the radio signal something fierce in his monitors and the plugs are grounded fine there. We're still trying to figure out what's causing it, the noise is infuriating.

metaxus posted:

Good to see the Discwasher D4+ hidden away there on the right ;)

So I like the wood glue idea and have my own D4 brush, but I'd really like to get one of the cleaner machines. I've heard that the VPI is a good deal for the price and I read about the Nitty Gritty ones a few years ago. Do ya'll have any experiences with cleaners?

I DJ at the local college radio and we've got thirty year old records that've been played hundreds if not thousands of times. Any cleaner I get is going to get some serious use at the station and I'm trying to get them to pay for it, but I doubt they'll pay much more than what the VPI sells for.

QPZIL posted:

What do you guys use to hold your records? I stole a milk crate from work today but it's about 1/2" too small :(

Urban myths say that milk crates were made smaller because so many people stole them to hold records. You can still find some out there that fit records, but I've found that Post Office mail containers work quite well and are easy enough to find. Just make sure you return it to the Government after you're done using it.

katzinator posted:

I dunno, but $9 + shipping for a cardboard box and $25 + shipping for a cheapass wood crate seems like a ripoff. The Expedit shelving from Ikea is nearly the gold standard for many record nerds, as it is rather inexpensive, very customizable (comes in a variety of sizes/colors), and doesn't make your record collection look like it belongs in a broke college-kid's house.

No doubt, I first saw a friend with one of these back in 2004 I think and bought one the next week. They're pretty much the best possible record shelf out there for the price.

Actually, mine is filling up and I'm buying the two row version as soon as the color I want is in stock at the local Ikea. They make great room dividers as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 12, 2010

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc
Just got this off of Craigslist. It actually works, but the pots are all pretty hosed and need to be cleaned real bad. One of the speakers is spotty, but might level out once all the components get cleaned/lubed. And that white piece by the brush was rattling around inside when I took the back panel off to clean out all the dust, not sure where it goes.

I have no clue how the record player works, specifically the automatic parts. I can get it to work normally, but I've never used one like this and can't find a manual online for free.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc
drat that's alot for 1200's, I think I got mine for under $200 each from Ebay back in '03. I say keep digging if you want used, or just get some new ones so you don't have to worry about defects.

edit

Finally got around to dropping off the 1200's for repair work, they even fit in the trunk nicely.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

TooLShack posted:

That expedite looks might empty, better get to work.

Speaking of Expedit, has Ikea officially stopped selling the five high version? I finally filled my first one with vinyl and need to buy another :ohdear: