Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
:siren: DON'T BUY FROM BYB :siren:
How to spot a BYB (Back Yard Breeder):
*I know this guy...
*I found in the paper...
*All puppies available...
*Only lists AKC reg. (This means nothing since a genetically problematic purebreed can get AKC reg.)
*LACK OF INFO (BYBs know the less you know the better for them)

This was previously a "help me find a corgi puppy" thread. That was over a year ago, and thanks to the advice in this thread we brought home the perfect Cardigan Corgi pup, from a great breeder. Still the thread lives on, as a general corgi picture and advice thread.

So if you have a corgi or corgi mix, post pictures here (there can never be too many cute corgi pictures). For those of you looking for general information, I'm adding a FAQ below.

FAQ

What is a Corgi?

Corgis are short legged herding dogs that originated in Wales. There are two breeds of Welsh Corgis, the Cardigan Welsh Corgi and the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. They are similarly short statured, but have differences in size and body shape. The Cardigan has a full bushy tail, while Pembrokes are naturally bob-tailed (or often docked if born with a tail). Cardigans are larger, and longer, with more rounded ears. Pembrokes are somewhat smaller, with more pointed ears. Cardigans come in a wide range of colors: brindle, blue merle, black, red, sable, tri-color. Pembroke colors are: red, sable, tri-color. You can find more information on the breed club websites: Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club or Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club.

What about the origins of these two breeds?

The Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club site says this:

quote:

Cardigan and Pembroke Welsh Corgis are of different origins. Pembroke Corgis come from the same lines as Terriers, Spitz and Schipperkes and became popular due to the Queen's influence. Cardigans are an older, rarer breed, coming from the same heritage as the Tekdal dogs, such as the Dachshund. They remained in the hands of the old farmers and breeders, who continued to breed them selectively for the purpose of herding and family companions. The Cardigan temperament is more like a Collie or a well-bred German Shepherd Dog. Temperament and trainability are of the utmost importance.

The Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club site has this information (a lot more information at this link)

quote:

The Pembroke Corgi is a breed of the Spitz group - that Nordic group of dogs which is so easily recognized by a sharp-pointed muzzle and foxy face, erect and pointed ears, and a high set and gaily carried tail. Near relatives include the Swedish Vallhund (Vastergotland Spitz), the Norwegian Buhund, the old type Pomeranian and the Schipperke. Iris Combe, in her recent book on the origins of herding breeds also feels that the Corgi has a strong relationship to the Norwegian Lundehund - a puffin hunting dog of Norway.

It should also be noted that the breeds were not recognized as separate until 1934, and that there was interbreeding before that time, which may account for some similarity. (see more information on wikipedia).

What are their personalities like? Do they get along with other animals? Children?

This will be subjective and vary dog by dog. Both breeds were developed as all purpose farm dogs, whose duties included herding, guarding, killing rodents, family companionship, and even hunting in some cases. They are adaptable dogs who like to have a job to do. While Cardigans have a reputation for being slightly more reserved than Pembrokes, both breeds will get into trouble if bored. As an inquisitive herding dog, it is best to keep your Corgi mentally stimulated with activities of your choosing, rather than let them invent activities of thier own.

The Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club has this to say about getting along with other pets and children (from my experience, this seems aplicable to Cardigans as well).

quote:

Many breeders have cats and other pets who have close relationships with their dogs, and others make an effort to introduce their puppies to other species during their early socialization. Common sense is needed in introducing the puppy to a small cage pet so that no one gets nipped, and Pup understands that the ferret or bunny is a pet and not something to be "dispatched" (remember that Pembrokes are farm dogs, and ratting is one of the jobs!) Pembrokes living with other dogs, especially larger breeds, generally become the "boss" and herd the others around (sometimes to their annoyance). They are also happy to herd up errant children, especially if they're running, and the parents must be consistent in correcting this behavior from the beginning to prevent a later problem with "nipping heels." It may be cute in a baby puppy, but a pinch on the heel or calf from a larger and still enthusiastic herder hurts! Ask the breeder for helpful hints.

Corgis are loyal dogs that need an outlet for their working instincts. They may be on the small side, but they are not toy dogs who are content with just being a companion. Both types of corgis have reputations for acting like "big dogs in small bodies". Be prepared to do training, provide mentally stimulating activities, perhaps even dog sports such as agility, rally or tracking.

Are Corgis good appartment dogs?

No. They have a tendency to bark when anything is "out of place", according to them. This could be your neighbor walking around, or an unfamiliar animal or person nearby, or a strange sound, or something about the TV or music bothers them. Remember, their original purpose included guarding the family and farm, so they consider it their duty to alert you if anything is amiss.

Personal annecdote: My husband was playing a new video game, and this game is an RPG, so there's a fair amount of inventory management and collecting/buying/selling crap. For some reason, our corgi hates the little "ding" sound the game makes when he sells something to a vendor, and of course he has to do this repeatedly during the game. So she'll work herself into a frenzy barking and growling at the Xbox/TV when he does this. It's the funniest loving thing, but it wouldn't be funny if were in an appartment and had neighbors to worry about.

What about shedding?

Both Cardigans and Pembrokes can shed considerably, especially when they drop their seasonal undercoat. This is what the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club has to say:

quote:

Oh, yes, they shed! A spayed or neutered Corgi will generally shed their undercoat (the soft, lighter hair beneath their coarse outer coat) in prodigious amounts in the spring or summer and more than the usual frequent combing and brushing is then called for. A good bath, followed by some serious combing, will remove the "tufts," with a second bath and grooming in the next week or two to get out the remainder. If you want to put the soft "fur" out for the birds to build their nests with, you can provide "cashmere wallpaper" for every bird nest in your neighborhood! A philosophical thought: dogs either shed or need expensive haircuts--vacuum cleaner bags are cheaper than the local groomer!!

Are Corgis healthy breeds? Are they prone to particular health problems?

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Both the Cardigan and Pembroke Welsh Corgi are among the healthiest and longest-lived dogs in the Herding Group. The Cardigan tends to be a little hardier and has fewer documented hereditary health problems; among them are canine hip dysplasia, canine degenerative myelopathy and progressive retinal atrophy. Pembroke Welsh Corgis are susceptible to intervertebral disc disease, canine hip dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy and epilepsy. Cardigan Welsh Corgis have a typical life expectancy between 12 and 14 years, and Pembroke Welsh Corgis typically live between 12 and 15 years.

Note that responsible breeders will have their breeding animals tested for hereditary conditions. This includes OFA hip certification and genetic tests for other conditions (examples: DM and PRA).

Where should I get a Corgi?

Rescues: Do a web search for a local corgi rescue or purebred dog rescue. Rescues may or may not have corgis available, but they may be able to add you to a waiting list. Don't be affraid to get an adult corgi. Puppies (of any breed) can be frustrating, and an older dog might just be your perfect mellow companion. Also, be prepared to answer the rescue's questions and/or arrange for a home visit.
Shelters: Check Petfinder and your local shelters. They might just have a corgi or corgi mix.
Responsible Breeders: When looking for a breeder, it is best to start with the directories on the breed club websites: Pembrokes and Cardigans. You might also consider visiting a local dog show and talking to the people who are showing corgis, and meeting their dogs. This is a good way to become acquainted with the breeds and make connections in terms of finding a breeder.

But I saw cute corgi puppies for sale from [pet store/newspaper/flyer/craigslist/affordable pups website]. How can I tell if they're a responsible breeder?

No responsible breeder would advertise in this manner.

First rule of thumb is to be wary of advertisements and avoid pet stores. A puppy from a responsible breeder will never wind up in a pet store, nor listed in a classified add. Responsible breeders tend to have very few litters and those litters tend to have carefully screened waiting lists.

Here are the ASPCA guidelines for breeders, which I think are generally pretty good. Pay particular attention to the bolded, which are often the things that set the responsible breeders appart from the backyard breeders (BYBs).

quote:

* Never sells puppies to a dealer or pet shop.
* Operates in an open, undisguised manner, allowing and even encouraging potential buyers/adopters to visit and tour their homes/properties.
* Screens breeding stock for heritable diseases and removes affected animals from breeding program. Affected animals should be altered and placed as pets, provided that the health issues are disclosed to buyers/adopters.
* Removes aggressive animals from breeding program.
* Keeps breeding stock healthy and well-socialized.
* Never keeps more dogs than they can provide with the highest level of care, including quality food, clean water, proper shelter from heat or cold, exercise, socialization and professional veterinary care.
* Has working knowledge of genetics and generally avoids inbreeding.
* Bases breeding frequency on mother’s health, age, condition and recuperative abilities.
* Does not breed extremely young or old animals.
* Breeds and rears dogs in the home, where they are considered part of the family.
* Ensures newborns are kept clean, warm, fed, vetted and with the mother until weaned.
* Begins socialization of puppies at three weeks of age.
* Screens potential guardians and openly discusses both positive and negative aspects of the breed as well as the individual dog.
* Ensures puppies are weaned (at 8 to 10 weeks of age) before placement.
* Offers guidance and support to new guardians.
* Provides an adoption/purchase contract in plain language that spells out the breeder’s responsibilities, adopter’s responsibilities, health guarantees and return policy.
* Provides accurate and reliable health, vaccination and pedigree information.
* Makes sure pet-quality dogs are sold on a limited registration (dogs only), spay/neuter contract, or are altered before placement.
* Will take back any dog of their breeding at any time and for any reason.

Additionally, I would add that the breeder should only be breeding titled or working dogs that have proven their ability in conformation and/or work. Corgis can excel at a lot of different pursuits: herding, agility, tracking, rally, therapy, and of course conformation. If a breeder is breeding dogs that haven't "proven themselves" at anything, then they probably shouldn't be breeding dogs.

Where can I get more puppy advice?

First, check the New Puppy FAQ for general puppy issues. Feel free to post additional questions either in that thread or right here.

Where should I post pictures of my awesome corgi or corgi mix?

Right here in this thread. We demand more corgi pictures!

Video of Josie going crazy, then stopping for the mere mention of food.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTjk_2ex8Z8

Video of laser pointer cat hazard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-_QaMDj7ak

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

I live in the Seattle area, too, and got my Cardigan from Paul Chen on Vashon Island. He is a reputable breeder, and also is a judge for AKC events. Zeke was $500-600 (I can't remember which), and was fixed when we got him. Paul does all the health checks for the breed, but unfortunately I did end up having an issue with Zeke. He has a congenital defect, which has caused extreme bowing in his front legs. Paul says he's never had this happen before, and refunded half of the purchase price for the dog. I know of other people that have dogs from Paul, and none have experienced problems with their dogs.

HOWEVER... I found Paul to be kind of iffy with his customer service. Other people have experienced this, too. What it boils down to is whether you are willing to put up with possibly a headache to get your well-bred dog. One person said she had to badger him to get her AKC paperwork for her dog, I had a similar problem. Though, he refunded my money back for the defect as soon as I forwarded proof onto him, with no issues.

While I enjoy Zeke very much, I think I am going to go with the C-Myste kennel for my next dog. It looks like they actually have a new litter at the moment! I just really enjoy the look of their dogs, and they are definitely a reputable breeder.

If you are looking for someone else, only talk to people that are involved with the Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club of America. Do NOT go to pet stores or newspapers! You need to make sure that the breeder you choose health tests their animals, only breeds champions (or dogs from proven working lines), and offers a guarantee in their contact that protects you in the event that the dog has a genetic illness appear within the first few years.

Here's some pics of my Cardi-

And because he was so loving cute as a puppy, here-

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

My wife believes there is a corgi conspiracy. You get the first corgi then it's over. You are forever compelled to get yet another! :laugh:

Your dogs are very cute, especially the puppy pics!

I actually looked up Paul Chen and C-Myste so we are on the same page. And 500-600 sounds very reasonable to me. I'm unsure whether we are ready to get a puppy right at this moment. We need to do some work on the yard and puppy proof some of the house first so we'll miss the new litter (plus I heard you need to reserve early). Either way, I think I'll encourage the wife to send C-Myste's owner an email.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Miss Indy posted:

ACK! He looks like a little stuffed animal and I want to smoosh his little face so bad! :3:

I've never been a huge fan of Corgis before but that last picture melts me. I love his coloring, especially the spots on his face and nose.

Aren't Corgi's a bit difficult though?

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Oh god so freaking cute!!!! Cardigans have freakishly beautiful coats/eyes.

Daym, $600 is a really good price from a reputable breeder. My little guy was originally 1200 but I god a discount of 200 because he was already 6 months old and I knew said breeder. Gah, hurts the pockets.

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...
I love my swedish vallhunds to death but I want a cardigan some day sooooo badly!!!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

KilGrey posted:

Aren't Corgi's a bit difficult though?

They can be. They have tons of energy and are very intelligent. That can be a frustrating combination. When Nacho (Pembroke Welsh Corgi) was a puppy my wife and I often found ourselves at our wits' end. He's two years old now and has calmed down a tremendous amount. He's still high energy but he can be a bit of a couch potato too. Cardigans are supposed to be a bit more laid back than Pembrokes, or so I've heard.

Sorry I can't help for info on Cardigan breeders but I'm in PA and Nacho's breeder only breeds PWC's.

Edit for additional Corgi cuteness:

http://www.tps-reports.com/nacho/nacho_car_puppy.jpg

http://www.tps-reports.com/nacho/canada/nacho_puppy.jpg

Edited to remove links - Google gives malware warnings.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 30, 2011

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

oh good god, look at the stubby paws! :3: :neckbeard: :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
So what's the consensus about the energy level of a Cardi? The breeders sites describes them as being more 'laid back' than a PWC, but if they're both designed to be herders, would the Cardi have just as much need for daily strenuous exercise as a PWC?

Miss Indy, you have both; what's the daily walk/activity time for your Zeke? (He is cute as gently caress, BTW)

I don't mean to thread hijack, but my GF is getting her 'first' dog in a couple more months once we've a) found out where she's going to grad school and b) moved out to the suburbs to have more space. We'll probably end up with a shelter mix of some kind, but there's a lot of Corgi mixes in our area and we both like the look/temperment of the little stub dogs. We're just not sure if we can handle the energy level; my little dog only needs one half hour-hour walk a day, if that. Tera wants something to run with her in the mornings, but I'm not sure if she'll stick to that, so I want to try and find her something in the medium energy range.

I've always nixed the idea of her getting a PWC because I've heard from PI that they're high energy herders, but a Cardi could work if they're a bit less energy.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 1, 2008

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Captain Foxy posted:

So what's the consensus about the energy level of a Cardi? The breeders sites describes them as being more 'laid back' than a PWC, but if they're both designed to be herders, would the Cardi have just as much need for daily strenuous exercise as a PWC?

Miss Indy, you have both; what's the daily walk/activity time for your Zeke? (He is cute as gently caress, BTW)

I don't mean to thread hijack, but my GF is getting her 'first' dog in a couple more months once we've a) found out where she's going to grad school and b) moved out to the suburbs to have more space. We'll probably end up with a shelter mix of some kind, but there's a lot of Corgi mixes in our area and we both like the look/temperment of the little stub dogs. We're just not sure if we can handle the energy level; my little dog only needs one half hour-hour walk a day, if that. Tera wants something to run with her in the mornings, but I'm not sure if she'll stick to that, so I want to try and find her something in the medium energy range.

I've always nixed the idea of her getting a PWC because I've heard from PI that they're high energy herders, but a Cardi could work if they're a bit less energy.

As with any dog, the energy level and drive is going to vary. Zeke's breeder has a farm, and he breeds for an extremely high drive animal. As such, Zeke is a total nutjob. He has driven me crazy from day one! He's 3 now, and has slowed a bunch, but he's still always into everything and the times he just lays down and is still are few and far between. He herds my cats, patrols the house and barks if something is wrong, and is always picking play fights with Bailey.

Because of his congenital defect, he has already developed arthritis. I don't usually walk them, because the pounding on concrete is too hard on his joints. Instead, I give them hard runs with the laser for 20 mins a day or so. They are almost never fed out of bowls, they work for their food out of treat dispensing toys. Some days, I forgo the toys and just hide their food throughout the house. This keeps them busy for several hours, as even when the food is gone they continue to look around for it. I encourage their playing, and encourage Zeke to herd the cat when the cat is into something that he shouldn't be. I get high quality chews for them, which they always have on hand. Every week I take him somewhere with me. He goes to my chiropractor to get adjusted with me every few weeks, and most weeks I take him when I visit family. There he plays all day long with other dogs. Basically, I have to essentially have a few tiring activities for them every day.

My understanding is that most other Cardis are not as energetic as Zeke is. Really, once you get used to a routine, it's not that difficult to keep him entertained. And they do calm down after about 2 years of age. When Zeke calmed, it was amazing. It literally happened overnight, and while he isn't sedate by any means, he's definitely easier to handle nowadays.

If you're able to spend some time with Cardis, you'll definitely get a better idea of what their energy is like. Honestly, my Pem is a lot calmer and lazier than my Cardi. I kind of like my Cardi though in that he definitely "belongs" to just me and my husband. He loves other people, but he is more attached to us than anyone else. My Pembroke would go home with anyone who fed him and gave him attention.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Pooptron2003 posted:

Daym, $600 is a really good price from a reputable breeder. My little guy was originally 1200 but I god a discount of 200 because he was already 6 months old and I knew said breeder. Gah, hurts the pockets.

I paid about the same price for my Pembroke, and he comes from parents that were double champions. $1200 seems REALLY high to me, unless he was meant to be shown.

Some more pictures!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

^^^Jesus god stop it I already want one bad enough already! It's not fair of you to flaunt this cuteness. :mad:

I just showed Tera what you wrote and she said 'Hmm..sounds like we could definitely do one of these dogs' so it's a possibility. :dance:

I definitely want to meet some more PWCs and CWCs and observe commonalities and differences between the breeds. We'll be looking in to finding a Corgi meet-up group in our area (northern CA) so we can get a good idea of the time/space needed. We still don't know where we're going to be living next summer when we move, so we'll need to have that in order before we can think about a puppy, but I'm getting myself excited by looking at breeders in our area.

Thanks for the input, Miss Indy, it is much appreciated!

/end hijack

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
^^^ Ok, say what you will world, but corgis are the cutest dogs ever to exist.

Yeah my little guy was supposed to be shown originally but his muzzle is still sooty so that's probably not going to happen. Maybe prices are just inflated here? I think my parent's paid $900 for their guy (from the same breeder).

The weird thing is, even in pet stores around here the dogs are going for 700-1000 dollars. I just don't understand it, but then again a lot of those are designer dogs. Stupid people.

pics:
(and yes, catch me on an off day and I do have mad scientist hair.)

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...
allright if we're doing pems and cardis can we do swedish vallhunds as well? Just so ya know the public is educated. Not that I want to show off my guy ;)

Toki cost over 600 less then 1000. Swedish vallhunds can go anywhere from 1500 to 700, I think. They have similar temperaments to Cardigans. He is hands down the sweetest dog I've ever met. He has eyes only for mom. But will whore himself out to anyone that will even look at him, he's fiercely protective of our apt, incredibly tough (he's 'brother' it s 90lbs mutt) he's very fast and smart.

Some different tail types...

Toki as a pup..

Toki with his brother Ulfig

okay sorry done hijacking..

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Captain Foxy posted:

I definitely want to meet some more PWCs and CWCs and observe commonalities and differences between the breeds. We'll be looking in to finding a Corgi meet-up group in our area (northern CA) so we can get a good idea of the time/space needed. We still don't know where we're going to be living next summer when we move, so we'll need to have that in order before we can think about a puppy, but I'm getting myself excited by looking at breeders in our area.

This site is used often by corgi owners looking to meet up and have a play date. I'd also recommend shooting off some e-mails to breeders in the area (only those on the PWCCA or CWCCA member lists) and see if they would let you visit. Another idea that I really recommend is to find a busy dog park in your area. Go on a nice sunny weekend, and no doubt you will probably find at least Pembrokes there. I'm lucky in the Pacific Northwest in that there are a bunch of Cardi breeders here and a lot of the Cardis visit the dog parks frequently.

londerwost!!! Go to Magnuson or Marymoor dog parks one of these weekends and you should see a bunch of both Cardis and Pems! Also londerwost, here is the corgi group that meets regularly in our area. Check them out! The group is headed by someone who has a bitch out of the same lines as Zeke. I forget her name, but the Cardi's name is Tova. She's got this whacky eye that is marbled both blue and brown. Tova looks like this:

And for anyone thinking about getting one of these dogs or learning more about them, I cannot recommend Corgi-L enough. Corgi-L is a list group of owners and breeders alike that talk about everything from the tiniest of quirks to hot topics of discussion with each breed. They really are a great resource if ever you have a problem with your dog.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

londerwost!!! Go to Magnuson or Marymoor dog parks one of these weekends and you should see a bunch of both Cardis and Pems! Also londerwost, here is the corgi group that meets regularly in our area. Check them out!

We'll have to check it out! Although, I'm always a little awkward in these gathering situations when i don't know anyone.

I'd really like to visit a breeder so i think we'll send out some emails just letting them know we are interested. Thanks for all the help (yet again!) and the great pictures of Zeke!

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

So C-myst has two females that are available right now because of people backing out. We weren't really planning on getting the puppy so soon but we're sorely tempted. She said her typical price is $800 but it includes all the health testing (not sure about genetic) and microchip, etc etc. Not sure if I'll get a lower price even though we'll get her fixed.

i think it's these two.

Click here for the full 687x599 image.

Click here for the full 657x625 image.

It's quite a drive, I think about 6-8 hour drive one way but I'm getting excited. Hope the snow melts soon! :D

EDIT: What are some things we can do to puppy proof the house? I'm concerned about wires and plugs, mostly. Small items and plants are higher up and out of the way.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 25, 2008

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

londerwost posted:

So C-myst has two females that are available right now because of people backing out. We weren't really planning on getting the puppy so soon but we're sorely tempted. She said her typical price is $800 but it includes all the health testing (not sure about genetic) and microchip, etc etc. Not sure if I'll get a lower price even though we'll get her fixed.

i think it's these two.

Click here for the full 687x599 image.

Click here for the full 657x625 image.

It's quite a drive, I think about 6-8 hour drive one way but I'm getting excited. Hope the snow melts soon! :D

EDIT: What are some things we can do to puppy proof the house? I'm concerned about wires and plugs, mostly. Small items and plants are higher up and out of the way.

Those puppies are adorable.

As far as puppy proofing the house goes, try to keep anything possible out of reach. Cords can be tied together and put under area rugs or tucked behind furniture. Nacho was (and still is to an extent) a bad chewer so we used bitter apple spray on anything he could get his mouth on. Obviously don't leave food out.

The biggest thing is not to let him/her out of your sight. When Nacho was little we would make sure he was always in the same room as us. Definitely crate train. While it's good to do in general, Corgis can really get into trouble. At this point Nacho is out in the kitchen during the day and at night. He'd sleep in our bedroom but he makes too much noise. Oh well.

SelmaDVangel
Apr 26, 2007
Both pups are too cute, congrats on finding such a great breeder.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Click here for the full 855x642 image.

We just got home from the 8-10 hour drive. I'm sick and tired but I have a puppy! I'll take better pictures when I'm feeling better.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Congratz on your new baby :)

She might need her ears to be taped up. Usually they go all floppy again right around the teething stage.

How'd you like the lady that runs C-Myste? I can't wait to get a puppy from her :)

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Congrats on your new puppy! I'd suggest getting a good sized exercise pen for the pup. An x-pen can give the pup some room to run about, but still gives you the piece of mind that the pup isn't ruining your house while your back is turned. It doesn't replace crating, but can be a good solution for those times when you'd rather the pup not be crated, but you're too busy to tether or give 100% supervision.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

oh jesus oh jesus more pictures more pictures MORE PICTURES

(this is captain foxy's Corgi-loving girlfriend posting while she takes a shower, please don't tell on me! ;) )

And tell us more about what C-Myst was like! We're also considering a puppy from them, if I don't get a Rhodesian from rescue instead.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

This is londerwost's wife (yes we're both goons). Unfortunately he's been sick with a cold, but the puppy is comforting him! I've been trying my best to get some pictures, but most have turned out crappy. Here are a few we did get.

Click here for the full 778x583 image.

She's been sleeping a lot, and she loves to curl up with us. It's kind of like spurts of activity, then crashing. We hope this is somewhat normal for a young pup.

Click here for the full 778x449 image.

Click here for the full 450x742 image.

Our cats are obviously traumatized at having a pup move in to their house:

Click here for the full 624x547 image.

Click here for the full 583x778 image.

Carolyn from C-Myste was very nice over email. and obviously puts a lot of care and thought into the homes the pups are going to wind up in. We actually didn't meet her in person though, as this litter of pups was raised at Starrynights Stables, with Megan who is one of her partners. Carolyn says she's semi-retired, but she's basically working with a couple of other partners now. Her next planned litter will likely be born in late spring and raised by a friend of hers in Vancouver, Washington.

Anyway, Megan from Starrynights was very nice, and their farm is super cute. They have horses, goats, cats, and some very beautiful dogs. She will be keeping one of the pups from this litter to be a show dog.

Edit: I also just wanted to add that they've done a beautiful job with her early socialization and training. She's a very good girl. She comes when she's called, she knows "potty" and likes to do her business outside in our yard. She's doing very well on a leash. Her reaction to our cats has been very calm so far, which I'm sure has gone a long way to make them more ok with the idea of a dog in the house. We've had a bit of an issue with crying/barking when she's left alone in her pen, but we'll be working on that by practicing and just remaining calm, and ignoring the barking until it stops.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 4, 2009

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Oh god she's too cute. Congrats on your new puppy. And more pictures STAT!

Zombie Dictator
Jan 14, 2005

by angerbotSD
I don't know about cardigan welsh corgis, but here are pictures of my pembroke welsh corgi!

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
Congrats on your new baby hes gorgeous ! although im not sure whats up with the taped ears..

Heres our monster Merlin (were starting training classes in 4 days !)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

pioneermax posted:

Congrats on your new baby hes gorgeous ! although im not sure whats up with the taped ears..

Some puppies need their ears taped up for a while to get them to stand correctly. Doesn't bother them.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

I finally got some new pictures of Josie our Cardigan Corgi pup, so I figured I'd add them to this thread. These are the few I was able to take last week when her ears were standing up pretty well. Unfortunately she's teething now and they've started to flop again. So we're back to tape this evening, which she's decided she hates.

She's really an awesome puppy though. She's got a great personality, and just the right mix of playful and mellow. She is very smart, sometimes too smart. :unsmith:

Click here for the full 778x583 image.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
eeee! corgi goons we haven't had a thread in awhile :neckbeard:

This is Orsin

This is Ula :)

Ula is much skinnier now, after being on r & d diet for 6+ months, she's slowly getting back to her normal weight.

bonus puppy cuteness:

elf pr0n fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 9, 2009

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Click here for the full 490x653 image.

Click here for the full 653x490 image.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

I own a Pem named Frank, love him to death. Total character, I'll be sure to post some pictures later. But had a general question for the owners of the Cardi's here: I was noticing that some of you had to tape your guys ears up. I know that it's a painless thing, but with my guy along with the others that I know there's not much taping that goes on. Is this pretty common w/ Cardis?

Frank's went up late, but they were showing signs of life for weeks leading up to when they went up on their own. We used to call him little broken ears :D

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Cardi's have HUGE ears. Josie's sister Greta is having the same issues. Their smallest sister, Hope, is fine though because she was the runt and has ears more like a Pem.

10 minutes after tape came off.

30 minutes after tape came off.

!!:siren:!!YOUNG BITCH SPREAD EAGLE NUDE SHOWS EVERYTHING!!:siren:!!

!!:siren:!!CLICK BELOW!!:siren:!!

EDIT: Attention Lioness

I tried contacting you but private messages are not working for me.

Would it be possible to change the title of this thread to something like:

"The Corgi Megathread: Pems and Cardis Abound!"

Since it's already going in that direction?

Thanks!

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 12, 2009

mdy
Nov 7, 2008

<3 tommy
Pics of my buddy Yoshi

He's gone now and had a happy life of 11 years, but man do I miss him

Will probably be looking to find a new pal in a couple months time

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

londerwost posted:

Josie

What a gorgeous puppy. I love her ears!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
CRAZY EYES!!!!!!

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.

londerwost posted:

Ears....

Try adding some cottage cheese to your pup's meals, sometimes a little extra calcium helps get the ears up while they're teething. Also, I'd keep them taped for a full week, then off for 2-3 days and re-tape if necessary.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
Cable the tri-color Pembroke trying to fit in the cat bed

And in the Boise River, trying to figure out what all this wet stuff is

fat shit cat
Sep 30, 2005

do a homer pappy
Fumble loves to dance :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhZeSvf1xvs&feature=channel_page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Oh god it's Ace of Spades!

Click here for the full 800x640 image.

Click here for the full 800x604 image.

Now featuring the cano corgi battle crop and 20 lbs of bite pressure!

I'd love to get a picture of him passed out in the same place now to see how much he's grown... This was his first busy day home. Thankfully he can no longer fit under that couch. (Though the barking couch was a good party trick.)

• Locked thread