Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prawnsy
Jun 27, 2008
Meet Chester! He is a pain in the rear end but I love him like crazy.

He loves snow more than anything (except food).

He also loves to watch tv. Home Improvement especially.

And his squeakydog.

He is also a total exhibitionist.

Aawww AWWW.

No legs.

Corgis are the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor

Miss Indy posted:

On barking:
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize corgi-barking was so different than with other breeds. Cable really rarely ever barks - but if it gets out of control, the time-out is an awesome idea. His worst nightmare is being separated from the action!

I almost wish he'd bark when someone strange approaches the door. He does get excited and wants to see who it is, but he doesn't announce them if they're a stranger. If it's someone he knows, THEN it's bark-greeting time :)

Here are some more pics. He's a super small corgi, and I don't doubt he's poorly-bred. Still, just as cute as any other corgi I've seen :3

Pose for the Christmas card, drat it!

Sleepy

House play!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

We stopped by All the Best Pet Care (our local pet food store in Seattle) yesterday and picked up a variety of chews. One that Josie seems to like a lot is part of a shed deer antler. We also got some more frozen raw marrow bones, but will give her those in moderation so as not to have major digestive issues.

One thing our breeder told us about Corgis, and I'm seeing this a lot with Josie, is that they really do think they're larger dogs. The "big dog in a small body" thing is very true. Our breeder had mentioned that she might want to play with toys that we might otherwise think were for a larger dog. I bought this rope toy off of Amazon, because she was chewing on the cats' sisal scratching posts and I wanted something else rope-like for her to chew on. I figured I'd be safe with "medium" right? Well no, the drat rope ball is like the size of her head. I took one look at it and was going to return it, so I had it sitting out in a box waiting to go back. Well she got into it, and grabbed it, and it turns out she loves it. She swings it around like a goddamn wrecking ball. So I'm like "eh, if you want a toy that's the size of your head, that's fine."

So anyway, when we got her the chews, we went for the larger sizes, like 6-8 inch chews, rather than the "small dog" chews.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 27, 2009

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Yeah, I never get the smaller chews for my dogs. EXCEPT for the raw, the raw bones I gave them were the smallest that Mud Bay had. I do get the smaller bully sticks (6" max) and then only let them have half at a time in order to avoid upset tummies. Those pizzles are super rich, and if they were to eat a whole one in one sitting, they would for sure get the shits.

Have you checked out Mud Bay yet? It's such a great store, they always send me home with a bunch of samples of treats. And their selection of bones is awesome and fairly inexpensive. My favorites there are these beef bones about a foot or so long, where one end is knuckle shaped. They've got a bunch of dried tendon/meat on there, and they're only $4 a pop. They also have the huge bully sticks. I need to get a pair of gardening shears or something so that I can get a huge one and just snip it down serving by serving for them. Seems it'd be cheaper to go that route.

Another great thing that Mud Bay has a lot of are the puzzle treat-dispensing toys. One of the activities my dogs regularly do is to get their dinner out of them. I've got 4-5 different brands of those toys, and I rotate them so they get something different every night. My favorites are the Buster Cube, Tricky Treat Ball, Treatstik, and the Canine Leo. Just pour her kibble into it, she'll figure out the rest. It's a great form of both mental and physical exercise.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Yeah, I never get the smaller chews for my dogs. EXCEPT for the raw, the raw bones I gave them were the smallest that Mud Bay had. I do get the smaller bully sticks (6" max) and then only let them have half at a time in order to avoid upset tummies. Those pizzles are super rich, and if they were to eat a whole one in one sitting, they would for sure get the shits.

Have you checked out Mud Bay yet? It's such a great store, they always send me home with a bunch of samples of treats. And their selection of bones is awesome and fairly inexpensive. My favorites there are these beef bones about a foot or so long, where one end is knuckle shaped. They've got a bunch of dried tendon/meat on there, and they're only $4 a pop. They also have the huge bully sticks. I need to get a pair of gardening shears or something so that I can get a huge one and just snip it down serving by serving for them. Seems it'd be cheaper to go that route.

Another great thing that Mud Bay has a lot of are the puzzle treat-dispensing toys. One of the activities my dogs regularly do is to get their dinner out of them. I've got 4-5 different brands of those toys, and I rotate them so they get something different every night. My favorites are the Buster Cube, Tricky Treat Ball, Treatstik, and the Canine Leo. Just pour her kibble into it, she'll figure out the rest. It's a great form of both mental and physical exercise.

Yes! We actually have a Mud Bay near us, and we go there more often than All the Best. We got a little frustrated with them a few weeks ago because it seemed that they were perpetually out of the Innova puppy food we'd been feeding her. So we stocked up on that at All the Best. We will definitely be going back though, just taking a break for a bit.

I actually haven't purchased any of their bones before, but I noticed they've got a nice selection. Since she's teething and chewing on everything right now, we're definitely on the lookout for things to help to redirect her attention away from our shoes, etc...

We've got a few treat toys, and could probably do with more. We have a Canine Leo (actually a couple of them), a Tug-a-Jug, and various Kongs. We try to vary them and they'll hold her interest for a little while. I think ideally we'll start feeding part of her meals in those because obviously she's more motivated when it's getting close to mealtime.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Sir Tonk posted:

I wouldn't say he likes baths, but he definitely likes the time right after the bath when he gets to roll around on a towel for half an hour.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Wet Corgis look ridiculous, their ears look ten times bigger. Here's Nacho as a puppy getting a bath.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

What tards.

Samuel B
Dec 31, 2007
fancy

Re: BYB and puppy mills. Yeah, 99% sure my dog came from a mill. I was 18 and clueless. I genuinely thought if you wanted a specific, non-show dog you went to the pet store. Yeah. I'm embarrassed. To my credit, I did check the humane societies and pounds for Corgis beforehand. I've since learned and have done my best to educate any/all friends and family about the deplorable practices behind the cute puppies in the window.

He developed struvite bladder stones when he was hardly more than a year old. I was fortunately able to correct the problem without surgery, and he hasn't had any health concerns aside from a rash he developed when moving to my new neighborhood. And after talking to my neighbors, it seems that almost all of their dogs have had it at one point or another as well, which is strange and mildly unsettling, but hey, at least it's not due to my dog's bad breeding! :downs:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The pizza guy- "Hey nice dog, what is that, a shiba inu?"

:gonk:

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon

Tristesse posted:

Thats awesome, made me chuckle.. Ive been asked if merlin was a fox and how they could get hold of one.

Ive got a quick question, dunno where else to post it but merlin loves the cats (a little too much) but the cats alas do not love poor merlin. How long does it take for them to get use to each other? Merlin is 5 months old and as i said loves the cats but theyre so close to clawing his eyes, its worrying me.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

pioneermax posted:

Thats awesome, made me chuckle.. Ive been asked if merlin was a fox and how they could get hold of one.

Ive got a quick question, dunno where else to post it but merlin loves the cats (a little too much) but the cats alas do not love poor merlin. How long does it take for them to get use to each other? Merlin is 5 months old and as i said loves the cats but theyre so close to clawing his eyes, its worrying me.

I've gotten the fox question with Nacho. But the best was when someone saw him and asked, "Is that real?" Granted he was four months old at the time and looked like a stuffed animal, but come on. He was on a leash and walking on his own.

Sushi was three months old when we brought him home. Nacho was almost a year old at the time and was definitely very interested. Sushi didn't like him at first and there was a fair amount of hissing and swatting. Eventually Nacho learned Sushi's limits and Sushi learned that Nacho wasn't going to eat him and they started to play together. How long have you had Merlin?

Bonus videos of kitten and puppy playtime!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1ywbJsv00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3mdJrzcC0

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
Glad its not just us then, Bella just really hates him and chases him away which is quite amusing.

Yeh on our first walk with him, some lady drove past in her car and stopped to ask me that. Id say weve had him for about 3 months.. making him about 6 months tomorrow.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Also how many times have you guys been asked "what happened to his tail?"

I've counted 4 times so far in the 4 months we've had Ace. I usually pull a really straight face and say "it was a horrible accident..."

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Tristesse posted:

:gonk:

I was at a drive through the other day and the cashier squealed, "Oh what a cute husky!" :neckbeard:

I'm still very confused.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Pooptron2003 posted:

I was at a drive through the other day and the cashier squealed, "Oh what a cute husky!" :neckbeard:

I'm still very confused.

Um, clearly corgis are husky/dachshund crosses. Duh. No wonder she got confused.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

sucks to ur assmar posted:

Um, clearly corgis are husky/dachshund crosses. Duh. No wonder she got confused.

We were asked if Josie, our Cardigan puppy, was a border collie/dachshund cross. When we said "No she's a purebred cardigan corgi" the guy gave us this look like "Yeah right..."

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I've gotten collie/dachshund a few times.

My favorite reaction has always been that of a young girl walking with her mom in my neighborhood, back when Yoshi was a puppy: "Mom, it's a bear cub!"

prawnsy
Jun 27, 2008

Samuel B posted:

Re: BYB and puppy mills. Yeah, 99% sure my dog came from a mill. I was 18 and clueless. I genuinely thought if you wanted a specific, non-show dog you went to the pet store. Yeah. I'm embarrassed. To my credit, I did check the humane societies and pounds for Corgis beforehand. I've since learned and have done my best to educate any/all friends and family about the deplorable practices behind the cute puppies in the window.

He developed struvite bladder stones when he was hardly more than a year old. I was fortunately able to correct the problem without surgery, and he hasn't had any health concerns aside from a rash he developed when moving to my new neighborhood. And after talking to my neighbors, it seems that almost all of their dogs have had it at one point or another as well, which is strange and mildly unsettling, but hey, at least it's not due to my dog's bad breeding! :downs:

My corgi just got diagnosed with the same stones. He had submissive urination problems his entire life. I took him to the vet over and over again and it didn't solve anything. Finally, last time I went in I said, "I think he has a bladder infection, please check his urine!"
He actually peed out stones into the container.
Chances are he's had stones (or at least crystals) all his life, and his vet just assumed it was submissive urination and never did any real tests. He's been on prescription food for almost a month now and I haven't had any problems since.

7 years of dealing with dog pee, drat it!

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Bronson, my sister's corg, loves to chew on rawhides and souls

Hapax Legomenon
Oct 1, 2006
This is Zaza. She's pain and a bitch, but I love her. She's a really headstrong dog, most headstrong my bf's ever had (she's my first dog) so we've had trouble with her when she was a puppy. Now at 1y 3mo she's chilled out a lot, but still a handful.

She was an evil puppy. She seriously didn't smile until she turned 8mo.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Here she is after her spaying. She was so pathetic with the Elizabethan collar on.

But now she's a happy puppy

bakahentai
Nov 3, 2003
kuso atama

Eins, my little fatty-fatty-two-by-four. Before anyone says it, no. Just no. It's for the number 1.

Currently on a huge diet. Due to my back problems we've not been able to get out much during the winter but come summer time we're getting her rear end back down to 28 or below. I can't deny her the rawhide she craves so often though.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
Corgi + laser = propeller tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQhubrtlW9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLcbUbFyWP8

Corgi encounters a hazard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-_QaMDj7ak

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Haha, Nacho goes nuts for lasers too. He doesn't have a tail but his normally invisible nub would wag violently. We had to stop letting him play with it because he would just go too insane. He'd look around for the light long after we put it away and any time he would see a pen he'd start to go apeshit.

What's on your pup's ear? Were they not standing up on their own?

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

What's on your pup's ear? Were they not standing up on their own?

From what I have learned, Cardigans have larger ears than Pembrokes. And this litter has unusually large ears for Cardigans. So the ears are having some problems standing up, even with extra calcium in her diet. Even her breeder is having issues with one of her litter mates. In the past we would tape her ears over the weekend, which is usually how long the tape lasts before she figures out how to get it off. We're gonna try to keep tape on her for this whole next week and see if that helps.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

bakahentai posted:

Oh my god, it can fly!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace is a smug motherfucker sometimes.

Also this is now his preferred way of playing with chews... On his back where he can barely reach it.

And now he is defeated.

Edit: also those are good views of his pulverized 45 dollar dog bed that is just a great big fluffy chew toy. All the foam that's supposed to hold the shape of it is torn to pieces under the cover, it's just a big blob now.

Tristesse fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 8, 2009

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Somehow he ended up getting the cord stuck around his neck and the hat ended up covering his nose while he ran around the house trying to get it off. He got it off his nose and then it was hanging below his neck until I took it off.

londerwost posted:

Corgi encounters a hazard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-_QaMDj7ak
Igby is the same way with cats, that's so cute.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 8, 2009

purity control
Jan 2, 2005

i look better in real life. seriously.
I'm housesitting and puppysitting for my landlords, and they have an adoooooorable little one named Poppy. She is such a catty teenager, and since she can't jump up/off beds, she gets really agitated and will cry. I let her sleep with me last night, and she licked me to death before snuggling up with me and laying there all night. Ahhh gahhhhhd she's so cute. :3: She'll lay around and look cute if we're not paying enough attention to her, and she's an amazing snow-hopper.

This is a photo I took of her when they first got her.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Click here for the full 653x490 image.

Click here for the full 490x653 image.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Corgi crock attacks!!

AIR CORGI!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNr9r1ZkPJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TELkfel_58

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

londerwost posted:

D'awwwwww!

Very cute coat, though she probably doesn't need it. Corgi coats are very thick! Even when it was in the teens and 20s a winter or two back, my dogs were a-ok for hour+ long trips in the snow. Though I guess puppy coats don't have that dense undercoat that the adults have. As much as I like dressing my dogs up in retarded sweaters, they seem to get too hot living here in the Seattle area. Zeke a little less so, as his undercoat and fat layer isn't nearly as thick as Bailey's.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Very cute coat, though she probably doesn't need it. Corgi coats are very thick! Even when it was in the teens and 20s a winter or two back, my dogs were a-ok for hour+ long trips in the snow. Though I guess puppy coats don't have that dense undercoat that the adults have. As much as I like dressing my dogs up in retarded sweaters, they seem to get too hot living here in the Seattle area. Zeke a little less so, as his undercoat and fat layer isn't nearly as thick as Bailey's.
It's mostly so she doesn't get completely soaked. I was stuck with her downtown when there was heavy downpour of rain last week and she was shivering and wet. I already had a coat for her but I forgot it at home.

For myself, I had a hat, my snowboard jacket, and good boots but the legs of my pants were soaked through it was raining so heavy. She seemed more comfortable after I got her the coat from a local store.

Then we had the heavy, heavy snow today. If I didn't have the coat on her I would have had to towel her off every time I took her out. With the coat, I just have to dry her feet.

On a different tangent, she likes buffalo bones and didn't get the runs from them.

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

Pooptron2003 posted:

I'm still very confused.

I was at the gas station this winter and toki was peeking out of the backseat, some guys came out of the store and were like what kind of cat is that?! it's amazing! Sad thing is, they were being serious!! wtf?

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Today was Ace vs. Lake, round 2.

FIGHT!

The enemy advances...

And then this happened for like 10 minutes.

I personally would declare the lake the winner in this round.

He's still not too sure about other dogs, but he's opening up a bit at least.

Ninja edit: it would be totally :krad: if someone could make a .gif of those spinnin shots somehow.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

So I've been slacking on getting up some pictures of my own Corg and with a little free time this morning, I decided to get it done!

Baby Frank

His nickname at this point was "Broken Ears."

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Lounging

Older Frank Mugging for the Camera

Frank and his fellow Tri-Friend Elphie

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Slow weeks for Corgis? I got a question for you Corg owners out there. We're thinking about expanding our little corgi family soon and I'd like to get some advice. Frank was from a BYB (I know, I know. Bad. :( it was my first dog buying experience and so far I've been very lucky) and if I was going to get another Corgi I'd like to go through a more reputable breeder. We'd like to get another Pembroke, so does anyone know of a good breeder in the Portland,OR / SW Washington area? Supplemental question: What are some other dogs who breed wise can match up well with a Pem if we decided to branch out? Any and all advice helps!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Eff Jay posted:

Slow weeks for Corgis? I got a question for you Corg owners out there. We're thinking about expanding our little corgi family soon and I'd like to get some advice. Frank was from a BYB (I know, I know. Bad. :( it was my first dog buying experience and so far I've been very lucky) and if I was going to get another Corgi I'd like to go through a more reputable breeder. We'd like to get another Pembroke, so does anyone know of a good breeder in the Portland,OR / SW Washington area? Supplemental question: What are some other dogs who breed wise can match up well with a Pem if we decided to branch out? Any and all advice helps!

Man, if you wanted a Cardigan I was going to say that C-Myste is planning a litter for this spring/summer. They're located in Oregon, and definitely a reputable breeder.

http://c-myste.com/?page_id=449

She does have a link on that page for a contact for Pembrokes, so I'd check that out if you're set on a Pembroke. ;)

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
So, Alli woke up today and found something new in the house.

Wait, what's that in here?

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Well, this is quite odd, did they get me a new cage?

No, it's a NEW PUPPY!

She was a little scared at first, but once she realized there was another corgi in the house, the two went outside and ran around playing with each other for an hour. When we grabbed the camera, they stopped to pose.

More pictures coming later from our new adorable addition.

Tulenian fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

So insanely cute! I didn't see a puppy name?

• Locked thread