Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

Eff Jay posted:

So insanely cute! I didn't see a puppy name?

Snaps, Snaps Von Hopps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
What breeder/ rescue did you go with? Very cute.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

Tristesse posted:

What breeder/ rescue did you go with? Very cute.

They're both from Pecan Valley. The puppies on the site are her and her siblings. (One of her brothers is going to Alaska :3:.) The older dog, Allison, came from there as well. She belongs to our roommates (also goons), who got her for free since her litter was an accident.

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a forums account so we could spend more time together. On the internet.

lu lu lu posted:

They're both from Pecan Valley. The puppies on the site are her and her siblings. (One of her brothers is going to Alaska :3:.) The older dog, Allison, came from there as well. She belongs to our roommates (also goons), who got her for free since her litter was an accident.

She was free because of the combination of the financial situation of the breeder, the fact that she has too much white in her markings, and that she was an accident litter. Please don't contact Pecan Valley asking for free corgis, it was a one-time deal.

Allison Bidoof is going to have to get used to being an older sister. Alli's dad is Draco. Also, she's spoiled:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

It doesn't really get that cold here, but she has a sweet jacket.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

She wore this dress for her Christmas photo this year, but I can't seem to find a copy of that! I'll have to scan the hard copy we have again. :3:

TheLoveliestRedhead fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 19, 2009

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
Cutest picture ever of Snaps after a romp outside!

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

fat shit cat
Sep 30, 2005

do a homer pappy

Eff Jay posted:

Slow weeks for Corgis? I got a question for you Corg owners out there. We're thinking about expanding our little corgi family soon and I'd like to get some advice. Frank was from a BYB (I know, I know. Bad. :( it was my first dog buying experience and so far I've been very lucky) and if I was going to get another Corgi I'd like to go through a more reputable breeder. We'd like to get another Pembroke, so does anyone know of a good breeder in the Portland,OR / SW Washington area? Supplemental question: What are some other dogs who breed wise can match up well with a Pem if we decided to branch out? Any and all advice helps!

Which breeder did you get your current dog from?

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Frank was from an accidental litter from a family out in Mollala. They hadn't bred Corgis for a few years and were getting ready to get started again but Frank's parents were just a little too antsy. From what I've come to grasp from the board, it was pretty clear to see that Frank was coming from a BYB'esque place. Just with hearing so much good stuff and checking out C-Myste online, I'd like to go that direction with the next addition.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
Did some spring boarding.

See what I did there?

Brought the pup with me.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
I knew thered be fur you know but i never ever expect this much freaking fur.

Im just.. my sofa is now hairy if i leave it a day in fact merlin turns everything to fur, is there anything i can do ? and does it ever stop ?!

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

pioneermax posted:

Im just.. my sofa is now hairy if i leave it a day in fact merlin turns everything to fur, is there anything i can do ? and does it ever stop ?!
You bought a corgi. You weren't prepared?

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
I use a blade shedder on my guy, which keeps his hair to a minimum. But when he decides to blow his coat, it's pretty much everywhere. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

pioneermax posted:

I know Cardigans are supposed to shed twice a year, and thought it was the same with Pembrokes. If that's the case then it's only temporary until his spring/summer coat comes in. Then you'll go through this again for the fall/winter coat.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

londerwost posted:

Her ears seem to be turning out nicely :3:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

pioneermax posted:

I have 3 vacuums in my house right now, one is a handheld I use almost exclusively for the couch. I'll be bad for a while while the coat is blowing out, a furminator helps and if you can find a good groomer they can help cut that down too.

In other news, Ace got snipped today. I can't resist taking some cute e-collar pictures later when he gets home.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Tristesse posted:

I have 3 vacuums in my house right now, one is a handheld I use almost exclusively for the couch. I'll be bad for a while while the coat is blowing out, a furminator helps and if you can find a good groomer they can help cut that down too.

In other news, Ace got snipped today. I can't resist taking some cute e-collar pictures later when he gets home.

Ace and Josie can be e-collar buddies, she's getting spayed today too.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Awesome, go team sterile!

Ms. M
Jul 12, 2008

Tristesse posted:

Today was Ace vs. Lake, round 2

Do you happen to live near Winter Park, Florida? That definitely looks like the dog park I take my dogs.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Ms. M posted:

Do you happen to live near Winter Park, Florida? That definitely looks like the dog park I take my dogs.

Yeah, that's Fleet Peoples Park. Wow that's 4 goons that take their dogs there now, I believe.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003

maso posted:

You bought a corgi. You weren't prepared?

No :(, We have a ragdoll so i thought "nothing can be as bad!". I was so wrong..

Tristesse posted:

Yeh ive seen the furminator and i think we might get a handheld pet dyson then for the couch.

Currently his adult coat is comming in, so im combing him and using this awesome pet hair magnet squeegee thing i found that gathers all the fur together.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The handheld that I have is amazing for pet hair, it's called a carpet shark. It has an attachment on the front with brushes that spin and pick up all the hair, so look for something like that. Just suction just wastes my time. Also it's pretty cheapo.

Poor Ace is the most sad puppy in the universe right now so I don't have pictures yet because I feel guilty capturing his pain. He's fine from the surgery but put a drat e-collar on him and THE WORLD ENDS THE WORLD IS PAIN I HATE LIIIIIFFFEEEE.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had to slap an e-collar on Darth Mila (the cat) cause she kept chewing on her stitches, and that's pretty much the reaction I get.

Woe is me, this is the end, don't loving touch me.

I'll have pictures up in her got run over by a car thread like tomorrow. Now she looks like some kind of half-poodle/cat/lamp hybrid.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Urgh.

He's only moved for a treat and now he won't eat it because he set it down and now THE COLLAR is in the way.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

I was so sad when I picked up Maverick from getting spayed because it was raining (which she was afraid of at the time), had a giant ecollar, and couldn't walk because of all the pain meds, then to top it off the gunk they put on her eyes made it look like she was crying. I about lost it I felt so bad for the poor thing. And since she was bigger she had to pee literally every 30 min, it was awful. But the next day she was back to herself and I took her e-collar off because she really wasn't interested in stitches.

Also, Yay! Fleet Peeples! We need to have a goon meet there. ( I know we tried before but maybe try again!) I keep hoping that one day I'll show up and see a cute little corgi named Ace. He's too cute.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Josie's an easy drunk girl.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yeah, seriously. Any tuesday, wednesday, or thursday is fine with me for the most part since I have a weird rear end shift at work. This week is obviously not a great idea due to stitches mc noballs. I'm usually the one standing in the lake taking pictures of my scared rear end corgi, and Ace is usually the one avoiding all the other dogs as much as possible.

Edit:

Now to think of a tagline for it.

Tristesse fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 27, 2009

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Tristesse posted:

Yeah, seriously. Any tuesday, wednesday, or thursday is fine with me for the most part since I have a weird rear end shift at work. This week is obviously not a great idea due to stitches mc noballs. I'm usually the one standing in the lake taking pictures of my scared rear end corgi, and Ace is usually the one avoiding all the other dogs as much as possible.

Edit:

Now to think of a tagline for it.

Where the gently caress is my tail?

Ya I'm just starting a new job this week ,but when Ace is feeling better about not having balls hit me up! I love fleet peeples,have any of you been going to the town hall things or any of the events about them wanting to change/get rid of the park?

DenialTwist fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 27, 2009

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Looks like someone has a new avatar!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
They've been holding them on the weekends so I haven't been able to go. I know a lot of people were pissed about the weekend leash laws being in effect, and really I don't see the point, but hey those were the rules before and people chose not to follow them, whatever. It's a beautiful park and very well maintained, so I don't see why the Orlando dog haters association wants to try and have it shut down/ relocated. Obviously it's very popular as I go there in the middle of the day on a Tuesday and see at least 20 dogs at any given time. Everyone does a very good job of cleaning up after their dogs, I don't even worry about stepping in dookie.

The things the city has been trying to do in the name of budget cuts is pretty insane. I dunno, even if I could go to the meetings I don't live in Winter Park anymore, so since I'm not a district voter they won't really give a gently caress. Plus, I have no faith in Florida politics anyway... Give 'em a year and they'll probably bulldoze the place and build condos.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003

Tristesse posted:

Thats so cute ! You cant dock tails in the uk any more, so Merlin does this permanently but with his tail actually in his mouth :3:

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

pioneermax posted:

Corgis shed-- this is a well-known fact of the breed (either of them). I know that in every single thread I caution people of this, and other undesirable traits like barking and inappropriate herding.

Anyway, out of blowing season, it's an incredible amount compared to other breeds. When they are blowing, every surface the dogs touch is covered. There are two approaches to this problem-

1) Groom your dog with a brush that effectively pulls the loose undercoat out. This will need to be done DAILY during blowing season, and every few days outside of blowing season. Bathing shouldn't exceed once a month, and you should be using a high powered blower to get most of the excess undercoat out. Vacuuming will also need to be done every few days as well. You will still find fur on your clothes, furniture, and in your food, but it will be dramatically lessened.

2) Embrace the fur. Don't let it bother you. Accept the breed for the way it is, and groom as often as you feel is necessary. Invest in sticky tape rollers, and avoid going near them or sitting on any furry surface in your work clothes.

I chose option two. My dogs get groomed when they obviously need it (tufting, when they start to smell-- which isn't often). I vacuum when I can see a decent amount of fur on the rugs. I don't mind plucking a stray hair or two out of whatever it is I'm eating. It's just dog fur, it's not gonna kill you. If it bothers you that much, you seriously chose the wrong breed.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I noticed teddy shed a LOT more when I first got him. I guess he was losing his puppy coat. It was almost unmanageable. I brushed and brushed but every piece of clothing was covered, even right out of the wash. I must have gone though a dozen lint brushes. My rug looked like a shag rug and I don't even have a rug!

He is substantially better now. Now it's only mildly horrific. :buddy:

pioneermax
May 25, 2003

Miss Indy posted:

It's just dog fur, it's not gonna kill you. If it bothers you that much, you seriously chose the wrong breed.

I have a ragdoll, she leaves clumps of fur on everything and in everything so im not overally bothered and yes i do know its just dog fur im just a bit suprised at the amount he sheds compared to the other dogs ive had and was asking for methods to handle it.

I have sticky rollers, again bella does more damage than he does on clothes, merlin just covers my sofa and the occasional corgi tumble weed (we have wood flooring). I brush him with a wire brush and keep baths to once a month, hes getting his adult coat at the moment so im guessing thats why hes covering my sofa.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Pooptron2003 posted:

I noticed teddy shed a LOT more when I first got him.

A lot of dogs and cats will shed more when they're stressed, so being in a new home might have also caused him to shed more. Charlie always dumps about half the hair on his body whenever we take him to the vet.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

This is my best friend.

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a forums account so we could spend more time together. On the internet.

pioneermax posted:

I have a ragdoll, she leaves clumps of fur on everything and in everything so im not overally bothered and yes i do know its just dog fur im just a bit suprised at the amount he sheds compared to the other dogs ive had and was asking for methods to handle it.

I have sticky rollers, again bella does more damage than he does on clothes, merlin just covers my sofa and the occasional corgi tumble weed (we have wood flooring). I brush him with a wire brush and keep baths to once a month, hes getting his adult coat at the moment so im guessing thats why hes covering my sofa.

Nothing's going to stop blow-off season, but I did see some improvement after giving Allison some fish oil and garlic/yeast tabs. Made her shinier, less dry skin, and less shedding. :3: That said, she still sheds more than any other dog I've ever had. It's just better than it was.

Vacuuming and Swiffering is still necessary constantly. Black hair on white carpet, ugh.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

pioneermax posted:

Thats so cute ! You cant dock tails in the uk any more, so Merlin does this permanently but with his tail actually in his mouth :3:

Pembrokes naturally don't have tails, they're not docked. They were bred out of the breed and they have very short, almost non existent little nubs. Instead of tail wagging you get nub wagging. Cardigans have tails.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Pembrokes naturally don't have tails, they're not docked. They were bred out of the breed and they have very short, almost non existent little nubs. Instead of tail wagging you get nub wagging. Cardigans have tails.

Not all Pembrokes are born with bob tails. I think in a given litter you'll find some natural bobs and some with full tails. Docking is done for uniformity. However, due to controversy and docking becoming illegal in some countries, it's not unusual to see Pembrokes with tails these days.

On another note, does anyone have suggestions for entertaining a bored corgi who can't be allowed to run around or jump? Josie is really frustrated because we're keeping her either crated or leashed while she's recovering from her spay surgery. She needs to be kept low activity for the next week or so until her stitches are ready to come out. We already bought her a big loving buffalo bone to work on, as well as a variety of other chews, but I know what she really wants to do is run around. :smith:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace has been bombarded with chews and frozen peanut butter kongs. He's still upset I'm not letting him tear rear end around the house like usual though. He didn't touch any chews until yesterday because he'd get too upset that the cone gets in the way. He figured out that if he's holding his head up he can transport the chew toys around the house WITHOUT HAVING TO HOLD THEM HIMSELF IT'S AMAZING so there's been a lot of slow prancing about with chew toys next to his face.

Dog is weird.

Edit: For the record Ace was born tailless, as were his littermates according to the rescue I got him from. If I recall right, bob tails/ full tails are actually a sign of bad breeding in pembrokes; tails should have been bred out from them.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

anachrodragon posted:

Not all Pembrokes are born with bob tails. I think in a given litter you'll find some natural bobs and some with full tails. Docking is done for uniformity. However, due to controversy and docking becoming illegal in some countries, it's not unusual to see Pembrokes with tails these days.

On another note, does anyone have suggestions for entertaining a bored corgi who can't be allowed to run around or jump? Josie is really frustrated because we're keeping her either crated or leashed while she's recovering from her spay surgery. She needs to be kept low activity for the next week or so until her stitches are ready to come out. We already bought her a big loving buffalo bone to work on, as well as a variety of other chews, but I know what she really wants to do is run around. :smith:

That's interesting, I thought tails were totally bred about of Pembrokes.

Give deer antlers a try. Nacho spends countless hours chewing on his antlers and they keep him quiet and happy. They're seriously the best chews ever. They have the consistency of cow hooves but have no odor. They last a long time and disintegrate while being chewed. There's nothing to swallow or break off like bones or rawhide and there's no mess orcleanup. They're also soft enough that there's no risk of breaking teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Josie loves her antler but has been disinterested since getting fixed. We actually got her a buffalo bone that's big enough for her to chew around the cone. She still get's bored with it and starts crying.

This has helped some because she's more comfortable. Plus we can turn it back from her face so it's easier for her to eat and drink.

• Locked thread