Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

londerwost posted:

Josie loves her antler but has been disinterested since getting fixed. We actually got her a buffalo bone that's big enough for her to chew around the cone. She still get's bored with it and starts crying.

This has helped some because she's more comfortable. Plus we can turn it back from her face so it's easier for her to eat and drink.

Haha, I've never seen an E-collar like that before. I guess I got lucky because neither of my dogs needed one when they were neutered. They didn't try to lick or play with themselves. What about treat dispensing toys like this? It should keep her busy and occupied, but not running and jumping around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabby
Apr 18, 2006

Since I've enjoyed looking at all the pics already posted I figure I should add some shots of my little brat.

We're assuming that he's 100% Pembroke, but he's a rescue so I suppose we'll never really know.

Meet Captain Jack!

Picture from my photography class

Having a party with my moms senior corgi Fergi

When he was just a little thing, 6 years ago

posing like a supermodel

It's Jack, in a box! (yea I know i'm a goober)

He's always just so drat happy!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Jack's awesome (if we ever get another corgi we're gonna name it Jack... Ace is Ace of Spades so then we'd have Jack of Spades!)

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Well I have been waiting for a Corgi thread and here it is! Time to show off my girls. I have a few pics for now and I will put some more up later when I remember.

The first Corgi me and the little lady got we named Jewel.

Jewel looking over the side of a boat on the lake.

Back in August or September(girlfriend will remember better than I) we got little Mia. Good picture of her sticking out her tongue.

Mia sleeping under the chase lounge(favorite spot for both dogs).

Both dogs like to sleep under this thing. My girl was taking pictures of them sleeping one day and Jewel being the attention whore she is, had to get right in front of the camera. Slowly inched her way towards the camera till we had this fine picture.

That's all for now. If I find any more good pictures I will throw them up. Enjoy!

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
Wow, corgis that hide and sleep away from people.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

noelcat posted:

Wow, corgis that hide and sleep away from people.

The younger one was kept in a cage a lot till we got her. It's taken awhile but shes finally starting to be less timid. Jewel on the other hand got socialized very well early on so shes a social butterfly.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace used to hide under the couch, but that was so he could hide all his good toys and be annoying where he thought I couldn't find him. The phantom barking couch was a good trick. He'd never sleep there though, he always insists on sleeping as close to us as he can get- IE under my chair as I sit in it, next to the couch, etc. Thankfully he got too big to fit under there, so no more popping out randomly to nip ankles (or your face if you dared lay on the floor to look and find him).

infestedtwinkie
Sep 26, 2002

I've been starting to look at Corgi breeders on the west coast. I have been looking at breeders from the following list here. Are there any that you guys suggest in the California and Oregon area?

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Pembrokes naturally don't have tails, they're not docked. They were bred out of the breed and they have very short, almost non existent little nubs. Instead of tail wagging you get nub wagging. Cardigans have tails.

I read this and was :aaa:. Merl is a pembroke and has a tail, i had to double check.
I never knew some where born without tails i just thought they were docked. His mother and fathers tails were docked before the ban because it was required during showing.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Docking dog's tails honestly freaks me out and I wouldn't have a dog with a docked tail. Granted, I still lie sometimes for the sake of comedy and tell people it was an accident or whatever, but if he wasn't already born without it I'd be weird about having a tailless dog. It's funny watching that little nub go crazy every so often, it's like his butt itself is wiggling.

It was funny having my friend come over and ask "what happened" Walken style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcrYQtb3OzM

That's too bad.

Remember kids- You can always get on an air plane.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Well, shows what I know. I've never seen a Pembroke with a tail and had always thought no Pembrokes were born with them. People ask about Nacho's tail, or lack thereof, all the time. They're used to seeing docked tails on Rotties, Dobes, Boxers, etc. where there's a sizable amount of tail left. They're shocked to hear that he was born without one and that he hasn't been surgically altered at all except for neutering. Then again, at least two people have asked if he's a fox, heh.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

infestedtwinkie posted:

I've been starting to look at Corgi breeders on the west coast. I have been looking at breeders from the following list here. Are there any that you guys suggest in the California and Oregon area?

Please, oh please don't rule out Cardigans! I know I'm out numbered in this thread but they are freaken cool dogs too! :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Tristesse posted:

Docking dog's tails honestly freaks me out and I wouldn't have a dog with a docked tail.

There's a super cute beagle in one of our local rescues who had to have his tail amputated almost to the base, and it's freaky as hell.

Yet I want him so badly. I want to tell people he's a Manx beagle. :3:

infestedtwinkie
Sep 26, 2002

londerwost posted:

Please, oh please don't rule out Cardigans! I know I'm out numbered in this thread but they are freaken cool dogs too! :3:

I personally love Cardigans and that's definitely my next dog :). I have an ACD right now. My fiance has always wanted a Pembroke through, she loves the nub tails when given a choice.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
This isn't my dog, he's part of my friend's pack of 3 cats and two fish tanks, but I felt I had to post him, because he's the cutest loving dog ever, and, of course, DOGGLES. Meet Godot (Like the play)

They rescued him from a shelter, they say he's half Corgi, half blue heeler, but drat if he doesn't look just like some Cardigans posted here, maybe a bit taller and skinnier. He's an angel with teeth. So much fun to play with beyond him jumping twice his height to nip your nose. He's about 6-7 months about now, and his ear has finally straightened up, much to my slight disappointment.

EDIT: Two more photos I found on my cell phone (lovely cellphone quality as a result, sorry) back when they first got him. I forgot to add that the drat rescue/shelter they got him from had him neutered at 3/4 months old (they got him around 5 months) and he had some issues with that, they think if he is part blue heeler, that might have stunted his growth a bit/why he looks more corgi.

moechae fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 2, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

moechae posted:

This isn't my dog, he's part of my friend's pack of 3 cats and two fish tanks, but I felt I had to post him, because he's the cutest loving dog ever, and, of course, DOGGLES. Meet Godot (Like the play)

They rescued him from a shelter, they say he's half Corgi, half blue heeler, but drat if he doesn't look just like some Cardigans posted here, maybe a bit taller and skinnier. He's an angel with teeth. So much fun to play with beyond him jumping twice his height to nip your nose. He's about 6-7 months about now, and his ear has finally straightened up, much to my slight disappointment.

EDIT: Two more photos I found on my cell phone (lovely cellphone quality as a result, sorry) back when they first got him. I forgot to add that the drat rescue/shelter they got him from had him neutered at 3/4 months old (they got him around 5 months) and he had some issues with that, they think if he is part blue heeler, that might have stunted his growth a bit/why he looks more corgi.

I guess you don't have a full body picture in the post, but he looks like a Cardigan to me. I mean pure bred Cardigans can have really similar markings to a heeler/ACD or various other herding breeds. I can't even count the number of times we've been asked "Is she a border collie/corgi mix?" about our pup. Then we have to explain that Cardis can be black/white, brindle, blue merle, etc, etc... Also freckles on the nose like that seems to be pretty common in Cardis.

Also I've never heard of a neuter at 3/4 months stunting a dogs growth like that. In any case, he's really loving cute no matter what he is.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 2, 2009

infestedtwinkie
Sep 26, 2002

That dog looks like a mix between a cardigan and an ACD for sure. Look at the markings above the eye, they scream ACD (or Collie).

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

My one eyed pirate ACD for reference.

EDIT: Just to note he is missing half his right ear and the cartilage is broken in his left ear. So ignore his funky ears :).

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

infestedtwinkie posted:

That dog looks like a mix between a cardigan and an ACD for sure. Look at the markings above the eye, they scream ACD (or Collie).

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

My one eyed pirate ACD for reference.

EDIT: Just to note he is missing half his right ear and the cartilage is broken in his left ear. So ignore his funky ears :).

I think he's a good looking dog! He'd be great for holloween parties with a little pirate hat and stuffed parrot. :dance

Just mention offhandedly to your girlfriend that Cardies are typically laid back in comparison to Pems.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tristesse posted:

He'd never sleep there though, he always insists on sleeping as close to us as he can get- IE under my chair as I sit in it, next to the couch, etc.
Igby insists on laying under whatever chair I'm sitting in, with his head resting on one of the chair's legs, which is troublesome when the chair rolls. It's also a bit inconvenient when I'm playing the drums.

Slow Loris
Nov 7, 2005

Please sir, may I have some more?

This is Daisy, our extremely neurotic and runty Pembroke.

Click here for the full 1000x748 image.

We also have a Golden Retriever, Dougie.

This is a wonderful mix of dogs and they get along adorably. Daisy definitely thinks she's a much larger dog. Dougie will lie on his back so that they can play-bite/tussle together. Daisy is definitely the Alpha dog of the two; she even herds him sometimes when they're on walks. It's pretty adorable.

One problem, however, with this mix of dogs is hair. They both have the same color hair, and they both produce far more hair than you'd expect, considering the laws of physics. Our house literally has drifts of hair underneath all of the furniture, and accumulating in the corners. We've tried brushing both of them with wire brushes, but this seems to have no effect on how much they shed.

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
Got a video of our two cute puppies playing around and mackin. The one growling is Snaps, the 4 month old. They do this all the time. Snaps is just so vocal while Allie tends to be quiet.
http://vimeo.com/4175984

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

SO insanely cute Tulenian. I'm hoping to get Frank a play buddy soon (next 6-8 months) and I can only hope they play that well together. Corgis just make the best pairs!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Eff Jay posted:

Corgis just make the best pairs!

Noooo! I have this suspicion that once you have one corgi, they mind control you into getting another one. For some reason people always seem to have pairs of corgis.

At least in our case we wont consider getting another dog until our older cat passes on. Or that's what we tell ourselves at least...

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

It's totally true! Everyone I know who has gotten one Corgi claims they won't go after another one, but they end up caving. They really do look amazing in pairs :D

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a forums account so we could spend more time together. On the internet.
My parents got a new dog! Meet Ginger Snap!

Click here for the full 824x620 image.

They actually found her running around a local park and took her home to find her owners. The owners found her via the newspaper a few days later, but asked my parents if they would like to keep her. Umm... YEAH! So, my parents have an adult (6 years old, if I remember correctly) Pembroke in addition to their Cardigan!

Click here for the full 824x620 image.

This is Allison (bottom, previously posted) and Cadbury (top, my parent's dog). They share the same dad, and were born about a month apart (Allison was an accident litter...)

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor

Eff Jay posted:

SO insanely cute Tulenian. I'm hoping to get Frank a play buddy soon (next 6-8 months) and I can only hope they play that well together. Corgis just make the best pairs!

Hey, let me know how that goes! Cable is super play-oriented, and it would be nice for him to have another dog to tire him out. I'd love another corgi :) I just worry that 2x corgis would just end being 2x trouble.

Slow Loris posted:

One problem, however, with this mix of dogs is hair. They both have the same color hair, and they both produce far more hair than you'd expect, considering the laws of physics. Our house literally has drifts of hair underneath all of the furniture, and accumulating in the corners. We've tried brushing both of them with wire brushes, but this seems to have no effect on how much they shed.

Have you tried the Furminator? It sounds stupid, but honestly it is a lifesaver with Cable's shedding. I swear after I used it the first time there really could have been another corgi missing his fur...

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Got a new puppy last week. It was going to the humane society so we decided to take her. Her name is Macie and she is a Corgi mixed with some kind of spaniel we think.

Here's little Macie!

Another close up.

All the corgis together!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Macie is super cute and she even sleeps just like Josie did when she was little. Here's Josie sleeping when she was about 10 weeks.

Click here for the full 778x583 image.

Here are some recent Josie pictures. I can't believe she's 6 months already!

Click here for the full 734x979 image.

Click here for the full 979x734 image.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

anachrodragon posted:

Macie is super cute and she even sleeps just like Josie did when she was little. Here's Josie sleeping when she was about 10 weeks.

Oh my god that dog is adorable.

All three of them are waiting on me to take them out right now so I better get going!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah Macie and Josie could almost be siblings given their sleeping positions and markings, down to the nose freckles even. Where did you get Macie from? You said she's not purebred Cardigan (and I guess her ears and snout might be a bit smaller), but drat if she doesn't look (and sleep) like a Cardi. :unsmith:

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 20, 2009

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

anachrodragon posted:

Yeah Macie and Josie could almost be siblings given their sleeping positions and markings, down to the nose freckles even. Where did you get Macie from? You said she's not purebred Cardigan (and I guess her ears and snout might be a bit smaller), but drat if she doesn't look (and sleep) like a Cardi. :unsmith:

My girlfriends mother has a purebred Pembroke corgi male who mated with a spaniel mix. The rest of the puppies were really cute as well, and were given to a no-kill shelter. I'm sure they got adopted right away.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

ApexAftermath posted:

My girlfriends mother has a purebred Pembroke corgi male who mated with a spaniel mix. The rest of the puppies were really cute as well, and were given to a no-kill shelter. I'm sure they got adopted right away.

drat, and here I thought she had some Cardigan in her. Now tell your girlfriend's mother to get her corgi fixed!

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
My God! This thread is awesome. I said bye to my dog at home only 3 hours ago, but I wish I was there. Poor Ein (yes I named my dog Ein like every loving nerd here).

Any tips on how to get her to stop barking so much? She barks at any noise. She seems to be CONSTANTLY on patrol. While it is touching that her instincts make her try to protect us, it gets annoying.
It is also manifested in that she will go ape whenever we leave. She knows not to nip me, but she hasn't learned that against my wife. She knows she can get hurt because I can accidentally kick her when leaving. I am worried because she could hurt a child or toddler in addition to it presently pissing off my wife.

I considered lemon sprays for the bark control. For me leaving the house, it seems that just standing at the door for many minutes does not slow her antics. I may hold my position by the door for a while and she will stop spinning and running, but immediately go again the moment I move again toward leaving.
Advice?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Machismo posted:

My God! This thread is awesome. I said bye to my dog at home only 3 hours ago, but I wish I was there. Poor Ein (yes I named my dog Ein like every loving nerd here).

Any tips on how to get her to stop barking so much? She barks at any noise. She seems to be CONSTANTLY on patrol. While it is touching that her instincts make her try to protect us, it gets annoying.
It is also manifested in that she will go ape whenever we leave. She knows not to nip me, but she hasn't learned that against my wife. She knows she can get hurt because I can accidentally kick her when leaving. I am worried because she could hurt a child or toddler in addition to it presently pissing off my wife.

I considered lemon sprays for the bark control. For me leaving the house, it seems that just standing at the door for many minutes does not slow her antics. I may hold my position by the door for a while and she will stop spinning and running, but immediately go again the moment I move again toward leaving.
Advice?

Actually, you might be the only loving nerd in this thread with a corgi named Ein. Or perhaps there are others who are afraid to admit it. ;)

Sorry about the barking, but corgis do bark. Our Cardigan girl doesn't bark incessantly, but she does bark when she hears strange noises, or the neighbors, or an animal outside, or if she's just feeling protective... you get the idea. So we usually let her bark once or twice and then try to cut it off with a stern "Enough!" If she doesn't stop then, we'll put her in her crate and ignore her for about ten minutes. She knows she doesn't get any attention for barking in her crate so she typically stops.

As for nipping your wife, I hate to say it, but she may be trying to herd your wife. Your wife may need to assert herself and let the dog know that she is not cattle, she is in fact a pack member who is higher rank than the dog. Look into NILF (Nothing in Life is Free), and have your wife make the dog work for everything she wants. This can help to resolve her going ape when you're leaving as well. Let the dog know that she needs to "sit" and "stay" before you'll give her that attention she wants.

Edit: Also going to add, corgis are working dogs and they very much want something to do. A bored corgi will find something to do at your expense, so it's in your best interest to give her activities and tire her out. Treat toys are very popular here, as they give them a project and make them work for their food.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 21, 2009

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

anachrodragon posted:

Actually, you might be the only loving nerd in this thread with a corgi named Ein. Or perhaps there are others who are afraid to admit it. ;)

Sorry about the barking, but corgis do bark. Our Cardigan girl doesn't bark incessantly, but she does bark when she hears strange noises, or the neighbors, or an animal outside, or if she's just feeling protective... you get the idea. So we usually let her bark once or twice and then try to cut it off with a stern "Enough!" If she doesn't stop then, we'll put her in her crate and ignore her for about ten minutes. She knows she doesn't get any attention for barking in her crate so she typically stops.

As for nipping your wife, I hate to say it, but she may be trying to herd your wife. Your wife may need to assert herself and let the dog know that she is not cattle, she is in fact a pack member who is higher rank than the dog. Look into NILF (Nothing in Life is Free), and have your wife make the dog work for everything she wants. This can help to resolve her going ape when you're leaving as well. Let the dog know that she needs to "sit" and "stay" before you'll give her that attention she wants.

Edit: Also going to add, corgis are working dogs and they very much want something to do. A bored corgi will find something to do at your expense, so it's in your best interest to give her activities and tire her out. Treat toys are very popular here, as they give them a project and make them work for their food.

Thanks for the advice. I will talk to my wife. NILF. Sounds interesting.

I have wanted to take her to a herding club where the dogs can enjoy some herding on some other smaller animals like chickens or sheep (i think). Unfortunately, they want a lot of be member of an expensive club.
What kind of treat toys do you recommend? I never tried the red bell with peanut butter inside (the one treat toy I am most familiar with) but I never have thought she would enjoy such a toy.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I disagree with using the crate for time out, because a crate should be their happy fun safe place and never a place for punishment.

I've had a lot of success controlling excessive barking by shutting down any attention/ funtime when it's too much. If Ace starts barking, my arms get crossed and he gets to see my back. If it continues, he gets escorted to an empty bedroom where he stays until he calms down. Miss Indy typed up a more detailed method earlier in this thread, I believe.

Edit: Kongs are great toys and will keep Ace busy for a while. Even longer if you stuff it with peanut butter and freeze it for a while.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Tristesse posted:

I disagree with using the crate for time out, because a crate should be their happy fun safe place and never a place for punishment.

I've had a lot of success controlling excessive barking by shutting down any attention/ funtime when it's too much. If Ace starts barking, my arms get crossed and he gets to see my back. If it continues, he gets escorted to an empty bedroom where he stays until he calms down. Miss Indy typed up a more detailed method earlier in this thread, I believe.

Edit: Kongs are great toys and will keep Ace busy for a while. Even longer if you stuff it with peanut butter and freeze it for a while.

Just to be clear, we're not yelling at her or saying "bad dog" or anything. Just using the crate to remove her from the stimulus for a short time. She knows her crate is a good place, but it's also a calm quiet place.

I'm willing to listen though, if you guys think this is a bad use of the crate.

Also, Josie really likes this Tug-a-Jug and these Mini Leo toys.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 21, 2009

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
That can send a confusing message to her. It could send her a message saying "yay when I'm annoying I get to go to the place of happy dreams and treats!" (granted, I know you're not giving her treats when she's being put in there for being yappy, but if that's what she associates with the crate...) OR she'll eventually decide that her crate is the land where all fun stops, and take a dislike to it.

It would be a much better idea to confine her somewhere else "neutral" if needed. Like I said, I tend to use a room we're not in a the time. Plus it sends a much stronger message. "When I bark a bunch, I DON'T HAVE ANY FUN OH GOD IT'S SO BORING IN HERE. Maybe I won't start barking for no reason next time!" He's not let out until he's calm and quieted down, which usually only takes a minute or two. I think the longest I had to isolate him was maybe 10 or 15 minutes, and that was a day where workers were coming in and out of the house.

Edit: Also remember, it's not effective punishment if the dog doesn't mind.

Tristesse fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 21, 2009

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Tristesse posted:

That can send a confusing message to her.

We do the crate time out as well and your comments have caused me to reconsider. I had never thought about it like that but it makes absolute sense. We did at first try locking them in the bathroom when they were naughty but they would just end up clawing at where the door meets the floor and wrecking stuff. May have to give it another shot. Thanks for the good tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
As far as clawing up things go, I've been having a problem lately keeping something soft for Ace to lie on in his crate. In accordance with his taste for all things fluffy or made of my underwear, he's been spending a decent chunk of the night eating holes/ ripping/ tearing up anything in his crate. Pillows are banned because he rips a hole in them and eats the stuffing. He also can't have stuffed toys for this same reason, which is odd because he was fine with them for months. He chews holes in blankets.

Recently, the only thing that's lasted a decent amount of time was a crate liner I got from Petco that was form fitted for his crate. Black plasticy bottom, soft white fuzz top and it was supposed to be filled with foam. Turns out the guy lied to me and it was filled with regular stuffing (just wrapped up more), but it at least lasted a good few weeks until one night the zipper was attacked and it was gutted.

My problem is, I don't want Ace eating all this stupid poo poo. Obviously it's very bad for him and could cause an obstruction. However, I also don't want to shove him in his crate every night with only the cold plastic floor to greet him. I've considered testing the waters on letting him spend his nights elsewhere but I don't trust him yet. He has no problems with not eating things in the rest of the house, he knows the couch pillows and whatnot are off limits, (Only exception being tasty dirty laundry) so it's only happening to items he feels are "his."

Anyone have any suggestions to discourage him from eating his own bedding, or suggestions for another crate liner I could use that would be mouf proof?

He looks so guilty.

• Locked thread