Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Frank went through a similar "Destructo-Dog" phase. Anything we could give him toy wise that was fluffy was going to be torn to shreds. As far as bedding went, he would go for the foam, too. I actually went with a combo of towels and more fleece like dog blankets to put in the bottom of the kennels and while he'll still dig and paw at them to get them just right, he really stopped chewing them. Make sure they're clean towels, of course :D We stopped giving him fluffy toys altogether. I have no idea how he would react to them now, haha. How old is Ace again? Frank went through this phase from like the 6/9 month window until probably a year a half. It also helped when we made sure we were tiring him out like crazy with a good long walk or some frisbee/ball action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yeah, he's about 7 months now and this kicked in around the 6 month mark, so that sounds about right.

Guess I'll find some old towels I won't mind him killing.

Every day is an exercise in me trying to tire him out constantly. Laser pointers are awesome. :3:

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Haha, I did the laser pointers with Frank but he started obessessing completely. Like searching the house for it when it was turned off. I just ended up feeling terrible to see him search for it, but man it was hilarious! Towels should help with it though. Before I put some in ( we have a soft foldable crate he sleeps in upstairs, but a normal little plastic one for when we leave the house that he can sit in front of the window) he had actually almost dug through the bottom of the soft kennel. For some reason he can really dig through the towels too hard AND even more than that, he seems to get a little too bored with chewing them and it not being destroyed fast enough. Good luck, those pups are total terrors but so drat cute!

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

Eff Jay posted:

Haha, I did the laser pointers with Frank but he started obessessing completely. Like searching the house for it when it was turned off. I just ended up feeling terrible to see him search for it, but man it was hilarious!

I'm glad our Snaps isn't that bad. She'll keep looking for a few minutes after we stop, but that is just sad. I guess he kept himself entertained though.

We're having to segregate Allison and Snaps for now. Snaps got spayed yesterday and she'a acting like it never happened. Which is good since she isn't messing with it and doesn't seem to be in any pain, but she wants to play like they normally do. A little too rough and tumble for a lady with stitches on her belly.

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
Fun with stencils!

Click here for the full 1951x1569 image.

Lu lu lu is working on the actual painted version, so expect a picture of that to show up later.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Gizmo got a new toy, that he's scared of.. It has a sound chip in it, that moo's. As long as it doesn't moo, he's okay with it.

We had a corgi meet up at the dog park

Gizmo discovered how to pose

And this is a puppy that we know. She's a fluffy Pembroke

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.
Asking this for a friend who no longer has an account, he wants to know if there are any good breeders of pembroke welsh corgi's in the Dallas area of Texas and what is a normal asking price.

Thanks.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Diviance posted:

Asking this for a friend who no longer has an account, he wants to know if there are any good breeders of pembroke welsh corgi's in the Dallas area of Texas and what is a normal asking price.

Thanks.

Here's a list of Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club members. Your friend could probably start by contacting some of these folks. I don't know how any of these breeders are though, or what titles their dogs have, what kind of health testing they do, if any of their dogs are working dogs (it is Texas after all and cattle herding dogs you know).

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/memberlistaction.cfm

Prices can vary, so I'd really have no idea. I know my Cardigan pup cost $800, so I would not be at all surprised if it was somewhere in that range. Honestly though, the major expense of having a dog comes from all the stuff that comes after the initial purchase price. The cost of vet bills, food, toys, supplies, and training all adds up really quick. Your friend should be thinking first and foremost about budgeting all that stuff when he/she is considering getting a dog.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

anachrodragon posted:

Here's a list of Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club members. Your friend could probably start by contacting some of these folks. I don't know how any of these breeders are though, or what titles their dogs have, what kind of health testing they do, if any of their dogs are working dogs (it is Texas after all and cattle herding dogs you know).

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/memberlistaction.cfm

Prices can vary, so I'd really have no idea. I know my Cardigan pup cost $800, so I would not be at all surprised if it was somewhere in that range. Honestly though, the major expense of having a dog comes from all the stuff that comes after the initial purchase price. The cost of vet bills, food, toys, supplies, and training all adds up really quick. Your friend should be thinking first and foremost about budgeting all that stuff when he/she is considering getting a dog.

Thanks for all the info man. I will pass it all on to him, much appreciated.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
How bad is the barking with corgis, Cardigans in particular? I'm finding conflicting information, from saying that they're practically incessant barkers to saying that they'll bark if there's something to bark at but not crazy about it.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Umilele posted:

How bad is the barking with corgis, Cardigans in particular? I'm finding conflicting information, from saying that they're practically incessant barkers to saying that they'll bark if there's something to bark at but not crazy about it.

Our Cardigan pup barks when there's something to bark at. "Something to bark at" includes birds or squirrels in the yard (especially crows, she hates them) or when she catches a glimpse of the neighbors moving around, also if anyone comes to the door. She does know "Enough!" and is pretty responsive to that. I wouldn't characterize her as an incessant barker, but I wouldn't consider her a quiet dog either.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Our corgi (Pembroke) Pepper will only bark when instructed to, or when we are playing with her and it is acceptable for her to bark/growl. We have taught her the difference between growling and speaking and she is pretty good at it.

Otherwise, she is surprisingly quiet.

xboobookittifkxx: We can't give Pepper any kind of plush toy, as she destroys it within a few hours. We had one duck toy that we brought back with us from her breeder and it lasted maybe a month. She could never get it to quack, and once she found out how to, she ripped it to shreds. Now we only stick to balls, stronger/non-plush toys, and the occaisional rope toy.

abaddonis fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 28, 2009

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace can get a wild hair up his butt and decide to bark for a while. It's somewhat rare and a "quiet down" usually does the trick, but if he's bored or annoyed the problem gets much worse. He's a fairly vocal dog, when he's playing he pretty much always makes some sort of noise. Watching him run around the house with a bone in his mouth growling is pretty funny. As far as "quiet dog vs. constant barking" they can certainly be classed on the constant side, though it's not impossible to train them out of it.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
Thanks everyone. :) My Brittany is kind of like that - he doesn't bark overandoverandoverandoverandover just for the hell of it, but he does vocalize a lot, with growls and yips and howlyodelwhinebarks, especially when he plays. He'll bark if there are dogs or people outside but otherwise it's weird not-barking noises.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

We've had our first few days of continuous warmer weather recently, and Josie has been kind of miserable. She was a fall puppy so I imagine this is her first time experiencing even marginally warm weather. Plus she hasn't really started any serious shedding of her winter coat yet.

So anyway she's been a bit lethargic and wilted looking in the afternoons, but my husband discovered this great new project to keep her busy. It's called "Ice Cubes in the Water Dish". She's been excitedly entertaining herself for the past 20 minutes trying to fish them out. I think this will be a new summer activity.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
As my avatar shows, Ace LOVES water. Oh god does he love it SO SO MUCH. It's been hot here for a while now, but we just had pretty much 2 weeks of rain straight and I've never seen him so drat happy to be outside. Every puddle was a funtime mini lake made just for him. A friend of mine has a little plastic kiddie pool, and I couldn't get him to leave it alone. Kiddie pool + nylabone= super crazy funtimes omg. I'll have to get one when we move.

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

Tristesse posted:

As far as clawing up things go, I've been having a problem lately keeping something soft for Ace to lie on in his crate. In accordance with his taste for all things fluffy or made of my underwear, he's been spending a decent chunk of the night eating holes/ ripping/ tearing up anything in his crate. Pillows are banned because he rips a hole in them and eats the stuffing. He also can't have stuffed toys for this same reason, which is odd because he was fine with them for months. He chews holes in blankets.

Sorry to bump an old post, but you could try one of these (http://kuranda.com/). They're supposedly chew-proof, I haven't had opportunity to get one because I don't have a dog yet V :) V. There's a low-profile one for inside the crate.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Oh wow, those look neat. I'd get killed if I spent that much on what looks like PVC piping and some cloth though. :/

Maybe if I come across some random money I'll order one, they do look pretty cool.

Also bonus Ace video of him doing what he loves- being a hussy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TqPIZLwAZM

jamiebearz
Jun 19, 2004

Pro Cunt Kicker
Here is Chloe, my Corgi/German Shepherd mix who is 4 yrs old and a picture of her younger sister Shelby, a White German Shepherd/Husky mix we believe who is 6 months old.

Chloe on her 4th Birthday:

And Chloe impersonating her favorite character, Zoidberg:

Fishbulbz
Aug 24, 2004

What are the civilian applications?

lionskull posted:

Sorry to bump an old post, but you could try one of these (http://kuranda.com/). They're supposedly chew-proof, I haven't had opportunity to get one because I don't have a dog yet V :) V. There's a low-profile one for inside the crate.

I've seen a knockoff at Petsmart that was about half the price of the Kuranda brand beds. Don't know about durability though.

Yatta_Butters
Apr 29, 2006

your ass or a hole in the ground
I can't wait I get my Pembroke in August!!! I will be posting pictures when puppy arrives!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I actually went and picked up the knockoff at Petsmart today since it was on the way to another errand I had to run. It seems pretty Ace proof, but so far he won't go near it.

So typical of him, I spend money on a nice doggy bed for Ace and this is how he sleeps instead.

Pain in the rear end.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
My dear Corgi enthusiasts.

I have a weird question. I'm looking into buying my first home and last night I looked at a "trinity" style row house in Philadelphia. The issue I have is that it has curved staircases.

My dog Teddy currently does fine with the set of stairs I have in my apartment... but I'm worried he won’t be able to go down these curved stairs. Think it could cause any problems for him if I have to carry him up and down the stairs daily? I know this question is a bit paranoid... but, I'm a worrier.

Anyone have any experience with this or anything remotely like it? Odds are I'll just keep looking for a different place...but this place has a sweet price tag dammit! :colbert:

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Tristesse posted:

I actually went and picked up the knockoff at Petsmart today since it was on the way to another errand I had to run. It seems pretty Ace proof, but so far he won't go near it.

So typical of him, I spend money on a nice doggy bed for Ace and this is how he sleeps instead.

Pain in the rear end.

Same with Nacho, my Corgi. Santos, my Greyhound, has had a bed in the bedroom from day one. Nacho would always try to steal it if it was empty, and then look pissy when it was occupied. So we got a second bed for him, and now he always sleeps on the floor. Ugh...

Pooptron2003 posted:

My dear Corgi enthusiasts.

I have a weird question. I'm looking into buying my first home and last night I looked at a "trinity" style row house in Philadelphia. The issue I have is that it has curved staircases.

My dog Teddy currently does fine with the set of stairs I have in my apartment... but I'm worried he won’t be able to go down these curved stairs. Think it could cause any problems for him if I have to carry him up and down the stairs daily? I know this question is a bit paranoid... but, I'm a worrier.

Anyone have any experience with this or anything remotely like it? Odds are I'll just keep looking for a different place...but this place has a sweet price tag dammit! :colbert:

I think he'll be fine with the stairs. They can be daunting for a Corgi at first, but they get the hang of them eventually. Nacho got the hang of the stairs at our first house OK, but then had issues when we moved. The stairs are straight, but there's a landing in the middle where you turn a 180. He eventually got the hang of them. Then once we got the basement in order he was allowed down there but had trouble with the stairs. They're much steeper so he was scared to go down them, but eventually got over it.

Bottom line, in my experience, is that they might be an issue at first but with practice and plenty of treats as motivation, Corgis should do fine on stairs unless they're really odd, or the dog has back/joint problems. And you should also keep Corgis from running stairs until they're at least a year old.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr. Spaceman posted:

Oh man your dog is adorable! I love her name too.

Sorry for the stupid question, but is that more of a rare coloring? Most of the Pembrokes I see are usually solid orange/white. Every once in a while though, I will see a Corgi with a dark brown "cape." Those are my favorite. :3:
There are bi and tri-color corgis, however I believe the terminology for their back fur is "saddle" or "faerie saddle," and not "cape." In some children's books or myths, they are used as mounts by good faeries, iirc.

My family got a pembroke with different-colored eyes when I was a little kid, she was the sweetest dog, you never had to punish her because a dirty look would send her hiding under the bed. Both sides of my family have people who went out and bought corgis (they all failed and have lousy dogs for the most part, but that's another story,) I think both sides've had 6 or 7 corgis total now.

I would totally get another corgi in a heartbeat and I've been interested in getting another dog as my job allows people to bring pets to work (two people have pembrokes! :3: although one of those people have moved on,) and the vallhunds interest me a great deal.. I'll probably lurk for a while and come back with questions eventually, but right now my main question is about stamina.. Currently I walk/bike to work (a couple mile urban distance, along bike trails etc) and I was concerned about how hard this would be on a dog like a corgi. We always lived in the country and Ellie (our Pembroke) was an extremely active dog, but she didn't spend a lot of time on pavement or concrete and I'm a bit concerned about how hard it would be on a short-legged dog to do a couple mile walk. I could always get a bike trailer or use the car but I do enjoy walking.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 18, 2009

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon

Tristesse posted:

Chewing and eating everything fuzzy

You really dont know how happy i am to hear that im not the only one going insane because merlin cant even have a stuffed toy for 10 minutes without "gutting" and shredding it to pieces.

Ive spent a fortune on beds (8 of them now) and toys.. well ive just lost count.
Hes about 8/9 months now, he needs toys but im running out of ideas as of today he detroyed his "indistructable" bear after having it for 2 days.

Ive just given him a stuffed frozen kong but he has no interest in them.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
So far the coolaroo bed gets a lot of action and hasn't had any wear on it. He doesn't even try to chew, between the metal frame and the rough material it probably doesn't occur to him.

Otherwise, I buy a 3 pack of durable nylabones and replace them every other month or so. Also, laser pointers are a huge hit.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Tristesse posted:

Otherwise, I buy a 3 pack of durable nylabones and replace them every other month or so. Also, laser pointers are a huge hit.

I wish our corgi liked nylabones. We have a couple of them which we got when she was a baby, thinking, you know, maybe she'd want to chew them. But no, she just looks at you like "Are you serious? Really? Chewing plastic is for chumps."

No, she pretty much just wants to chew raw marrow bones or beef pizzle sticks. Serious pain in the rear end.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
Dear corgi owners:

What is your best method of removing all of that lovely hair they shed?

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Swiffer duster, + handheld fur killer specific vacuum (mine is called the carpet shark or something, it's basically a dust buster with a powered spinny brush on the front which is rad), + lots of normal vacuuming. On top of that, a tape roller for spot de-fuzzing clothes as we head out the door (because Ace loves to be cuddly on you right before I leave for work) and otherwise just dealing with it.

As far as grooming goes, Ace gets a full blown groom once a month, I furminate him once every week or 2, and slicker brush him every few days which helps a lot.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon

Tristesse posted:

Oh laser pointers ? thats a good idea and i think i have one from the cats.

Yeh he loves the "stuffed" bones and beef knuckles, although im trying to cut down on them as hes getting porky lately.

As for the corgi fur, i cant stress enough how awesome pet handheld vaccumes are, someone on here suggested it (think it was you tristesse) and its the most handy things so far.
Also seconding the stickey rollers, i buy them in value packs and have them every where in my house (including the car).

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I reeeeally need to take a video of him going after the pointer. It is insane, relentless, and you can actually see his butt wiggling SO HARD. Hilarious and tires him out really well with pretty much no effort on my part. Win- win! Also, great to know that the pet handheld vac works as well for you as it does me. Seriously between that and the Bissel Little Green steam vac (recommend this for anyone pretty much, not just dog owners) I got I don't know what I'd do to keep my place clean.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples
Speaking of beds, I was hoping someone here would be able to help me out. For the last couple of months Snaps has had the cat bed pictured below. She's been packing on the pounds and has nearly outgrown it. The cushion she's laying on came with the bed, though now she keeps pulling it out because she and it can't both fit. Snaps really loves that bed and I would like to find something to replace it.

Also, Snaps and Allison spend a lot of time in that area and the carpet shows it. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. vacuuming:ssh:

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Tristesse posted:

I reeeeally need to take a video of him going after the pointer. It is insane, relentless, and you can actually see his butt wiggling SO HARD. Hilarious and tires him out really well with pretty much no effort on my part. Win- win! Also, great to know that the pet handheld vac works as well for you as it does me. Seriously between that and the Bissel Little Green steam vac (recommend this for anyone pretty much, not just dog owners) I got I don't know what I'd do to keep my place clean.

Nacho is the same way with a laser pointer. His nub wags so fast it looks like his butt will fall off. He even kicks the ground like a bull ready to charge if I point the laser on a wall out of his reach. We stopped using it though because the anticipation of it made him go nuts. He'd keep looking for the laser long after we were done for the night, and he'd flip out if he saw anything that looked like the last pointer. His nub would start wagging at the sight of a pen or small flashlight. In the end he just got too annoying when we weren't using the laser pointer so we found other ways to tire him out. Since we moved into our house my wife and I will sit at opposite ends of the basement and play keep away with a tennis ball. He'll chase after it back and forth until we run him into the ground. Of course the result of that is him constantly hanging out by the basement door, wanting to go down for play time, heh.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I know most of you aren't in the area, but I figured that any word that gets out is better than no word.

A close friend of our breeder had 2 red/white pembroke corgi puppies stolen from the pen in their backyard this weekend. She said they were stolen between 2 and 3pm on Saturday while they were out running errands. She asked us if we could get the word out. The puppies were stolen from Kinsale, Virginia (eastern Virginia). Whomever stole them will most likely try to move them somewhere else where they can sell them, so if you're anywhere in Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, keep on the look out. If you find them, contact local authorities and the breeder. Her information is at the following site.

http://www.cloverhillfarm.com/Clover%20Hill%20Farm/PWC.htm

I believe the 2 stolen are the two in the bottom 2 pictures up at the top.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

elf pr0n posted:

Dear corgi owners:

What is your best method of removing all of that lovely hair they shed?
A thick-coat brush and lots of brushing, or one of those weird-looking grooming gloves.

My family just gave our corgi a buzzcut every year, and it dealt with most of her shedding and she LOVED it. The only thing to be careful of is if they go swimming or fall asleep upside-down in the yard after a buzzcut, their bellies can get sunburnt.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

abaddonis posted:

I know most of you aren't in the area, but I figured that any word that gets out is better than no word.

A close friend of our breeder had 2 red/white pembroke corgi puppies stolen from the pen in their backyard this weekend. She said they were stolen between 2 and 3pm on Saturday while they were out running errands. She asked us if we could get the word out. The puppies were stolen from Kinsale, Virginia (eastern Virginia). Whomever stole them will most likely try to move them somewhere else where they can sell them, so if you're anywhere in Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, keep on the look out. If you find them, contact local authorities and the breeder. Her information is at the following site.

http://www.cloverhillfarm.com/Clover%20Hill%20Farm/PWC.htm

I believe the 2 stolen are the two in the bottom 2 pictures up at the top.

That is a huge shame, they seem like excellent breeders as well. Down here it's a huge epidemic for people to seal purebred puppies from homes. Even the petland down the street from me was robbed by someone who took some shitpoos or something. I hope they recover them.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Tristesse posted:

That is a huge shame, they seem like excellent breeders as well. Down here it's a huge epidemic for people to seal purebred puppies from homes. Even the petland down the street from me was robbed by someone who took some shitpoos or something. I hope they recover them.

While it's a shame the dogs were stolen, these are not reputable breeders. If you review the link posted, they are offering stud services and are breeding out of animals that do not have their championships in showing. The dog they offer for stud services does not even have CH parents, has not had CERF testing, nor is OFA tested. The stud isn't the only one that isn't OFA tested- almost all of the dogs still need hip testing.

I don't like the look of most of their dogs. The faces are too block-like, and should be more foxy in appearance. They almost look the way Cardis should look, what with the heavy head and body structure.

In addition, they use/recommend Purina for their dogs and for all future puppies. Definitely not the best option, I'd be sketched by any breeder who uses it and feels so strongly about it that they recommend it to all future families.

In short, this is a good example of a breeder to stay away from. They have potential to be good once their dogs have proven themselves in the ring and have been fully health tested, but for now they are just churning out puppies that really shouldn't be brought into this world.

Original Gamer
Sep 13, 2002

Miss Indy posted:

While it's a shame the dogs were stolen, these are not reputable breeders. If you review the link posted, they are offering stud services and are breeding out of animals that do not have their championships in showing. The dog they offer for stud services does not even have CH parents, has not had CERF testing, nor is OFA tested. The stud isn't the only one that isn't OFA tested- almost all of the dogs still need hip testing.

I don't like the look of most of their dogs. The faces are too block-like, and should be more foxy in appearance. They almost look the way Cardis should look, what with the heavy head and body structure.

In addition, they use/recommend Purina for their dogs and for all future puppies. Definitely not the best option, I'd be sketched by any breeder who uses it and feels so strongly about it that they recommend it to all future families.

In short, this is a good example of a breeder to stay away from. They have potential to be good once their dogs have proven themselves in the ring and have been fully health tested, but for now they are just churning out puppies that really shouldn't be brought into this world.

What about these people: http://www.celestialstarkennel.com/

I've been wanting to own a corgi for some time, and this is one of the only breeders I can find in Florida. So just based on the site, would you say they are reputable? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
So I just bought a house and have always wanted a Pembroke welsh corgi, but I have 3 cats and was wondering if you guys could tell me if you thought 3 cats and a lovely corgi could get along?

I know that it would mostly be based around introductions and all that, but was wondering if anyone here has cats and a corgi or thinks that the corgi would just try to heard the cats all day and they would never get along.

I have already been talking for a year or so with one breeder, but am probably going to end up trying to rescue a Pembroke welsh corgi instead.

• Locked thread