Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I haven't been able to import any music into anything other than iTunes for some reason. I've tried Apple Music and Cider but they won't list anything in my iTunes folder, and if I copy music into another folder on a different drive they still don't see it. Unless anyone has any ideas here I'm going to format my machine and hope that I can drive that evil out of here.

After all, it's only x years until the new Winamp client is good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some imported music is being treated as if it was added in 1904 (the year)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are your ID3 tags formatted in a weird way? 1904 is the start of dates in Excel but I can't see what that has to do with iTunes. Can only assume if you have the year field as "03" then it's defaulting to the earliest year it can actually store.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quite possibly. I was using tagging software.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

My C drive is nearly full because iTunes won't let me choose my much larger D drive (I know there's a workaround but am trying to avoid doing that) as the save point for my iPhone backup.

I would love to move that Backup folder to an external drive and then delete it off my PC. If my phone dies in the future and I need to recover it, will it be an issue if I move that Backup folder back to my PC in the same location (C > users > me > Mobilesync >)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Another day, another music issue.

Some songs on my phone are "not currently available in your country," despite these being my own files, synced through iTunes (I'm guessing it's a generic message when something's wrong; it's not the first time I've seen a warning message not be applicable).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently doing a backup and restore should help, but

iTUUUUNNNNNESS!! :bang:

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Another day, another music issue.

Some songs on my phone are "not currently available in your country," despite these being my own files, synced through iTunes (I'm guessing it's a generic message when something's wrong; it's not the first time I've seen a warning message not be applicable).

This recently happened to me after switching to a new PC and restoring my iTunes library. The "fix" (it has been a few weeks and it still seems to be "fixed") was to delete those albums from iTunes, sync the phone so they were removed from the phone, then copy the exact same files from my backup into the "automatically add to iTunes Folder" to get them back into the desktop iTunes library, then sync the phone again.

Interestingly, this how I originally rebuilt my iTunes library on the new PC - I copied the files I wanted to keep from my backup into the "automatically add..." folder on the new PC. No idea why only some albums had this issue, and no idea why doing the exact same steps a second time fixed things.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Eccles posted:

This recently happened to me after switching to a new PC and restoring my iTunes library. The "fix" (it has been a few weeks and it still seems to be "fixed") was to delete those albums from iTunes, sync the phone so they were removed from the phone, then copy the exact same files from my backup into the "automatically add to iTunes Folder" to get them back into the desktop iTunes library, then sync the phone again.

Interestingly, this how I originally rebuilt my iTunes library on the new PC - I copied the files I wanted to keep from my backup into the "automatically add..." folder on the new PC. No idea why only some albums had this issue, and no idea why doing the exact same steps a second time fixed things.

I already had deleted and re-synced multiple times, to no avail, but after your post I checked my phone, and lo and behold apparently the music successful transferred last time I synced. :shrug:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just to report some stupid iTunes behavior; it seems to delete downloaded podcasts on a total whim. There have been a bunch of times I've downloaded an episode to listen to later without having to buffer it and when I come back to listen to it, it's just gone and I have to download it again. Sometimes this happens literally while I'm listening to it.

Also how the gently caress is the default behavior of the podcast section of iTunes "play from newest to oldest" like who in their right mind does that?

This isn't even a complaint really because I know they'll never fix it, it's just one of those profoundly stupid design things.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

Also how the gently caress is the default behavior of the podcast section of iTunes "play from newest to oldest" like who in their right mind does that?
I want the play order to be “oldest to newest from the point at which I subscribed to the podcast, and newest to oldest for episodes earlier than that”. Which sounds insane but I am sure is the best way to jump into a non-narrative podcast with a multi-year backlog

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't know why I still rely on iTunes for podcasts. It occasionally syncs with my iPhone sure, but on PC it is utter garbage. Trying to access the store takes at least two tries, you can't localize the store, trying to subscribe to a podcast just errors out unless you download an episode and subscribe through your library, and the order in which podcasts play makes no sense at all.

On top of that, downloaded episodes randomly get deleted, even while listening to them and playback just suddenly stops. It's so bad. I mean it's clear how little of a poo poo they give since PC iTunes has never even gotten a dark mode but this is just pathetic.

I've tried other apps but they're either behind a paywall or won't sync at all with the Podcast app on my iPhone which is the main thing I want while PC iTunes only does it when it feels like it.

TACD posted:

I want the play order to be “oldest to newest from the point at which I subscribed to the podcast, and newest to oldest for episodes earlier than that”. Which sounds insane but I am sure is the best way to jump into a non-narrative podcast with a multi-year backlog

This is madness.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I managed to get a new Apple Music trial, and it turns out that not only was my old Match library still online (not unexpected), but also iTunes was also uploading all my new music in the interim! As in, it was uploading my music during the period where I didn't have a sub! I know this because I reactivated my sub on my phone, and all my music was immediately available, new stuff included, without even turning on the pc that hosts the library.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Giving the new Win11 Apple Music Preview app a try and.. it sure is a Preview. I mean, the UI is slick and very close to the iOS app, it feels considerably snappier than iTunes PC has in years, supports iTunes Match beautifully and perhaps most importantly: It has a dark mode (!!)

But it's pretty light on features iTunes has -- there is no Apple Podcasts app for Windows as of yet so if you used iTunes for podcasts, you're out of luck. Also no support for hardware by the looks of it so no iPhone updates or backups and obviously no interaction with older hardware like iPods.

Also it's rather buggy. UI elements can be unresponsive, the equalizer is presets-only even though it looks interactable and other small things.

So yeah, it's nice that it exists but it has ways to go yet. An iTunes killer on PC this ain't.

Until Apple just drops support for PC iTunes I guess.

E: Just noticed that opening iTunes while the Apple Music Preview is installed turns iTunes into a podcast/audiobook only app and flat-out denies access to your music library. Welp, deleting it and sticking with iTunes.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 15, 2023

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

iTunes on Windows really is a loving masterpiece; it randomly deletes downloaded podcast episodes for seemingly no reason. If you don't get back to it after a few hours, they're just gone, but also while you're listening to it. iTunes just suddenly stops playback and deletes the episode. Doesn't matter if you're subscribed to the podcast, if you have it set on "delete after listening" or not, it just does it, randomly. Great app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They want you to buy a Mac OP.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

withak posted:

They want you to buy a Mac OP.

Judging from when I had a Mac for 10 years, it's not much better over there. If there was a decent alternative for iTunes Match I'd drop iTunes in a heartbeat.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I need help with Apple Music on Windows - I'm not able to import my locally stored iTunes library, and my Google-fu has failed me. Everything works as normal in iTunes itself. Any thoughts?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ending an Apple Music subscription is always such a headache because randomly a percent of my personal, local music will act like it needs authorization (which it won't give me). Renaming the files sometimes works, because then it asks you to locate the files and plays them just fine, but sometimes it doesn't.

I could just delete them from my iTunes library and re-add them but I don't want to lose 15 years worth of my listening metadata.

e:okay some of these are corrupt iTunes Match downloads. Replacing them with my original files gets rid of the authorization request.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 15, 2024

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

All of my music is gone from iTunes??? What the poo poo do I even have the app for if it's gonna offload everything onto another app entirely?

e: oh god it's now 3 apps to update my loving phone instead of just 1 what the gently caress is this horseshit

e e: how is this better? how is this supposed to be loving better?

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 20, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I haven’t updated to the new app for that reason (scared it’ll gently caress up syncing with my devices) but it’s hard to image the Music app somehow being worse than iTunes.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Rinkles posted:

I haven’t updated to the new app for that reason (scared it’ll gently caress up syncing with my devices) but it’s hard to image the Music app somehow being worse than iTunes.

I merely did the troglodyte move of restarting my PC to stop a couple other programs from screaming at me that they needed a restart to complete updates, then, as usual, all hell broke loose

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't have those problems with the Music app (on PC) and in a lot of ways it's better than iTunes; it's way smoother, faster, has a dark mode (wow) and supports Match, but it doesn't support devices or podcasts which is remarkably dumb and render it pretty useless compared to iTunes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I am not upgrading to iTunes on my windows machine until they force me off. I even uninstalled the Microsoft store version and installed the version straight from Apple’s website in case they try to do something sneaky with MS store auto updates.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What I found out to my detriment when I had a Mac a few years ago was that the database conversion was a one-way thing and I couldn't copy my files over to a PC and resume where I left off but in iTunes. Fortunately I had a backup of the library that I could go back to and only had a few albums to re-import, but it's definitely getting more difficult to maintain a music collection that you've built up over time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it does feel like a different world. Gonna be super bummed if they pull the plug on Match ;(

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I get more pissed with iTunes for Windows every day. I keep finding things wrong with it that weren't problems in the previous regular version. I can't auto-jump to artists alphabetically by simply typing in the first couple letters of the artist's name now in the Songs section. The space bar is no longer bound by default to 'play/pause' and now just binds to whatever button you pressed last (or just randomly defaults to muting the music entirely, or selecting the currently playing song because it's the last thing I clicked). The left and right arrows no longer restart or skip a song, they just do nothing. Playlists randomly duplicate themselves for no apparent reason. There's a frustrating amount of empty space where everything in the interface was compact and flowed together better. I can't make the 'Listen Now' or 'Radio' options gently caress off from the sidebar. Also someone previously mentioned a dark version of this existing and I can't find anything about that in Settings.

e: selecting a song and hitting enter does not play the song anymore either jesus christ some of these things are so loving basic to running a program you're supposed to be able to use a program without a mouse as well as with a mouse i hate this so loving much

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 24, 2024

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iTunes is essentially abandonware at this point. It’s been replaced by Apple Music from the Microsoft Store.

That’s where the new dark mode is. If you upgrade, be cautious because iirc iTunes and Apple Music cannot coexist and use the same library files.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I need to figure out how to roll all this back because this program is basically unusable to me now and I want to be able to play music easily while I'm playing games or writing, and this has just made every process so much slower by breaking every keyboard shortcut in existence. Can I safely roll back to the previous version of iTunes without it loving up updates to my iPhone?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I don't seem to be able to add my locally stored music to Apple Music on Windows. Any thoughts?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Last Chance posted:

iTunes is essentially abandonware at this point. It’s been replaced by Apple Music from the Microsoft Store.

That’s where the new dark mode is. If you upgrade, be cautious because iirc iTunes and Apple Music cannot coexist and use the same library files.

You can still use iTunes for device/pocasts/audiobooks, but the music section is completely gone because it's in Music now. It's so dumb.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Stare-Out posted:

You can still use iTunes for device/pocasts/audiobooks, but the music section is completely gone because it's in Music now. It's so dumb.

It's functionally not iTunes anymore because it's for podcasts now exclusively, so it's...iPods.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I don't really understand why the freshly-updated version of iTunes I have off the Microsoft Store still has a music library given what I've read in the thread.

Does it only disable if you also have Apple Music installed (I don't)?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

Does it only disable if you also have Apple Music installed (I don't)?

Yeah that’s how I understand it

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

It did it for me when I restarted my PC without having installed Apple Music, but saying that, I was forced to install Apple TV a couple weeks ago to watch a movie I'd rented because iTunes was flat-out refusing to play it

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't seem to be able to add my locally stored music to Apple Music on Windows. Any thoughts?

I'm having the same issue with my iPad; I can't add videos locally stored onto the iPad anymore. There's also no way anymore to see what media is actually on either the iPad or the iPhone, and any attempt to look at either library through Apple Music just tells me that I need to open the corresponding program, with no cohesion across any of them. This whole migration is just an annoying loving disaster and is legitimately putting me off even using Apple Music for just listening to music, let alone updating my phone.

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 25, 2024

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Can't set albums by year in Apple Music, only alphabetically, fuckin :lol:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Click to sort by album, then again to sort by album, by year.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

IUG posted:

Click to sort by album, then again to sort by album, by year.

Doesn't work for me, it jut keeps reversing the order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's cool Apple ported over the non-functioning 'Remove From Wishlist' button to Apple Music for Windows instead of fixing it or removing the button.