Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lamont posted:

A friend gifted me a tv series on iTunes, and I tried to redeem it but the software said I had to accept the terms and conditions, and there is no way to do this on Windows.

Apparently this is a known problem where they just expect you to own an Apple device in order to accept the T&Cs. One solution online suggested downloading Apple Music to my phone and accepting them in that, but it hasn't worked.

Anyone by any chance found a solution to this?

Have you tried it in here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.atve.sony.appletv&hl=en_GB&gl=US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I needed a way to get a report of some sort on the cover art size of all my music. After a whole lot of useless Google search results and a few tries of CLI shenanigans that didn't go anywhere, I stumbled upon the Mac port of mp3tag https://mp3tag.app and a post on its support forums from 2018 asking for that exact feature on the then Windows only version.

Did the trick for that one specific thing I needed, so I'm gonna try using it as a replacement for the rather long in the tooth but still usable MediaRage.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

I needed a way to get a report of some sort on the cover art size of all my music. After a whole lot of useless Google search results and a few tries of CLI shenanigans that didn't go anywhere, I stumbled upon the Mac port of mp3tag https://mp3tag.app and a post on its support forums from 2018 asking for that exact feature on the then Windows only version.

Did the trick for that one specific thing I needed, so I'm gonna try using it as a replacement for the rather long in the tooth but still usable MediaRage.

Mp3tag is great for odd things like that, and very complete set of tools for rename and tag jobs

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ugh I think I found an incredibly annoying itunes bug, but it may just happen to be my drive setup. Normally if you have it set to manage your library and you add what could be duplicates, it'll add them to the library based on the tags, and in the folder where the files are it'll add eg " 1" before the file extension on the duplicate files.

I tried adding a bunch of new songs of higher quality but same file extension to my library yesterday, and that didn't happen! The new songs showed in the Library view, but in the folded on the drives there were no renamed dupes.

May be because I'm using a JBOD for the library? I dunno, in all the years I've been using iTunes I've never seen it just drop new dupes, it always renames them to keep both files in the folders.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why would you keep the low quality versions? In these cases I just give the new file the exact same file name, and copy them over the original files. Then I just get info on the songs I replaced in the music app to check the tags (the album artwork usually goes missing).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm not keeping them, but in some cases albums have different song lists depending on the release. Or I might have a compilation that has the same version as the album, but I might want to keep that one if my album is of lesser quality, etc.

What was happening is some of the tracks were vanishing on disk, but the iTunes library showed both, with the two entries in iTunes pointing to the same file. So as I'm thinking that I'm deleting the lesser quality version from the library, it was in fact removing the newer, better one instead. With the previous version magically gone without any indication.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's easier to see now that I'm back at the computer and can do some screenshots.

Regular CD version of the album, in iTunes and Finder:

After copying the hi-res version to the "Automatically add to iTunes folder": all the conflicting items are replaced with the newer ones in Finder, but iTunes still shows both

Normally conflicting items would be renamed with " 1" before the extension. Now it just wipes them out.

Selecting what i think I think is the CD quality version of a track and selecting "Move to Trash"

deletes the newer hi-res file instead, because both entries point to the newer file only.

Forcing itunes to update itself by playing through the tracks, it's now showing dupes of the newer versions:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah so I would just rename the files of the high res stuff to match the low res, and then overwrite them by drag and dropping them over the low res. Then go to iTunes and get info, and watch the but rate change to show you got the new one. This also lets you keep your play count and last played, which your method wipes out.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, who knows what they tinkered with or didn’t realize they broke when they changed iTunes to Music. I noticed some quirks here and there, but nothing like with data integrity that you’ve found here.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Anyway here's what happens on El Capitan on my old laptop with iTunes 12.8.something, which is what I'd normally expect:

LIbrary shows dupes fine:

Renamed dupes showing in the Finder fine:

That is what's supposed to happen. I retagged two of the files since I've seen they're different mixes, but in my previous example I wouldn't have been able to compare their lengths because the old ones got wiped out before I could do anything.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I may be misunderstanding, but could you change the Sort Album metadata before importing, to force iTunes to maintain two separate albums in your library?

Or of course you could just straight up change the displayed album title for one of them, but based on the hoops you've been jumping through I assume you don't want to do that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Minidust posted:

I may be misunderstanding, but could you change the Sort Album metadata before importing, to force iTunes to maintain two separate albums in your library?

I don't think this would work. Sort just changes where the albums are listed in the columns, not the metadata. This is how I sort "Grand Funk" and "Grand Funk Railroad" into the same artist tab, but in Finder they're still two separate folders.

What I've done instead for albums, is just use square brackets and put the edition names in there. So for Foo Fighters, I have "The Colour And The Shape", and "The Colour And The Shape [Expanded 10th Anniversary Edition]". Those get sent to two different folders in the Finder. I could join them to the same album in iTunes by changing the Sort Album to just be "The Colour And The Shape" for both, and it would still display the bracket stuff on the tracks that are from that rerelease.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and then there's "Artist" and "Album Artist". I set album artist to the name on the album, of course. But when there's a track featuring another musician, I put that in the Artist tag. So "Aesop Rock & C-Raz Walz" is the artist, "Aesop Rock" is the album artist, and the Finder has the tracks in the "Aesop Rock" directory.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 22, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

Or of course you could just straight up change the displayed album title for one of them, but based on the hoops you've been jumping through I assume you don't want to do that.
Yeah for now, now that I know about this bug, I'm putting "NEW" or whatever in the Album tag so that on the filesystem it'll be put into a separate folder, avoiding any collisions. Then I'll just do my usual weeding out from there.

Looks like i"m not the only one who found this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252655823

quote:

1.4 - Issue not found
12.1 - Issue not found
12.5.1.21 - Issue not found
12.7.0.166 - Issue not found
12.8.3.1 - Issue not found

12.9.5 - Issue occurs
12.9.5.5 - Issue occurs
Guess it's a 12.9 thing, which was the version included with Mojave. I'm sure this won't ever be fixed.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If I'm understanding this right, I've had weird poo poo happen if I replaced a file that was in an iTunes library folder with another file with the same name. I don't remember exactly what happened, but this conversation sounds familiar. IIRC iTunes Match doesn't really like a file being replaced either

e: pretty sure i misunderstood the iTunes post and complained about the inverse happening

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 23, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Interesting update: if the newly added songs aren't named the same as the original ones in the iTunes library, it'll rename the new ones with the "space & number" before the extension to not collide with the originals.

First try, I added "Sisters " to the filename ahead of the track number and dropped them on "Add Automatically to iTunes", then tried again with just putting a dash between the track number at title. No silent deletes:

So I think i'll update my renaming recipe to put a dash after the track number, and shouldn't have any collisions! :)

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 25, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a way of recreating an iTunes library on a new computer? I have have all the music files, and iTunes files and directories, but I don't have the Windows installation I used iTunes on (I could recreate it, but it would be a PITA).

Mostly I'd just like to keep my play counts and likes.

e:had more success on my second try. we'll see if it finds all the files.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 7, 2021

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i have a bunch of single music tracks from various albums across my library that appear as both songs and as podcast episodes for some reason, which is clogging up my podcast feed. is there any way to fix these in a batch without having to go through re-add the songs manually?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I guess macOS 12.2 beta introduces some upgrades for Apple Music so more of the app is native instead of web views:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/12/16/apple-is-rebuilding-apple-music-as-a-full-native-app-with-macos-12-2-beta/

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So now that iTunes Music is supposedly native, and since everybody is hating on Spotify and I got another free 6 months of Apple Music to try, I thought I'd give it another go.

Trip report: What… the gently caress is wrong with this? Or me?
  • If I do "Create Station" from an artist, how do I actually view that station? Am I not allowed to see the upcoming tracks, or save the station for later, or anything? I can view things like my "Favourites Mix" or any other Apple-generated playlist so the functionality to do this clearly exists.
  • Search either does not work (literally does nothing when I hit Enter) or a dropdown window steals focus after every single letter so I can't actually type anything.
  • If I keep using this, does it eventually not suck absolute poo poo at recommending me things? Is the 'Browse' view supposed to be completely generic or will it get tailored to what I actually like?
  • If I click "Add to Library" on something like "Chill Mix" is that going to add it as a playlist, or add each individual song? I really don't want to have 'fake' entries for songs I don't actually own floating around in my library.

Usually I'd be prepared to give things a go the "Apple intended way" but I honestly have no idea how I'm even supposed to listen to the music I want with this, and I'm too traumatised from having used iTunes to experiment. I already have to go in an de-duplicate a bunch of albums even though I've meticulously added every single one by hand on this iteration of my library; Apple's malicious cloud syncing code just can't leave this poo poo alone.

This poo poo still sucks and as ever I'd be genuinely fascinated to look over the shoulder of an iTunes dev for a day and see how they actually use this loving thing.

TACD fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 31, 2022

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Whenever I sync my phone with iTunes, it nearly always removes songs from playlists I created on the phone. It's so reliable that I put off syncing with iTunes for months at a time, and whenever I do, I must screenshot the contents of any recently-created playlists beforehand so I can fix them after the sync. Anyone know of a way to avoid this? I'm not using Apple Music or anything like that. These are playlists that I create manually on the phone through the Music app, and songs I've purchased from the iTunes app on my phone.

Most recently: the last time I synced my phone, I had a playlist called "November 2021". Since then I've created playlists for "December 2021", "January 2022", and "February 2022", all filled with songs I downloaded in those months. When I went to sync today, the new playlists showed up in iTunes, but with less songs than were on the phone before the sync. For example, January originally had 18 songs and February had 6, but after the sync they only show 16 and 4 respectively. After double-checking the screenshots I took of the playlists before the sync, I found the 4 missing songs...they're still in my library and on the phone, just not in the playlists. I can't find any rhyme or reason why they shouldn't be. There's nothing different or unique about the songs/files, so far as I can tell.

It's frustrating because it's so inconsistent in what it chooses to sync from the phone vs what it doesn't. I've noticed it also often doesn't sync play counts correctly. It's pretty common for iTunes to be like "oh, this song has NEVER been played" despite me having played it a dozen times on the phone (as in: letting it play all the way to the end of the track, without skipping or stopping it early).

Honestly, if I could, I would just stop syncing to my computer entirely. Only reason I keep doing it is because I use a lot of playlist folders and smart playlists, which (so far as I'm aware) can only be organized/edited in iTunes.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Just re-installed iTunes in 2022. Not a Spotify refugee - just decided to resurrect an old iPod Mini 2nd gen with a flash card and new battery.

Not interested in a streaming subscription but thought I might use it to buy music again on occaision as it's still apparently the only comprehensive store for DRM free files. One question though - Is the Genius recommendation function on the store a bit hosed generally, or is it because I havent bought anything in 7 years? I used to like going on Genius Safaris back in the day, found a lot of cool smaller bands that way.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Question: do the backups for my iPhone have different paths if I have used a direct-from-Apple download and a Microsoft Store download? Because I've lost about 10 gigs of space on my C drive.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i hate itunes match.. or music match or whatever its called. some songs don't want to be matched no matter what even if bought elsewhere like bandcamp.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Violator posted:

I guess macOS 12.2 beta introduces some upgrades for Apple Music so more of the app is native instead of web views:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/12/16/apple-is-rebuilding-apple-music-as-a-full-native-app-with-macos-12-2-beta/

that's cool didn't know about that.

RadiRoot fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 19, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Radirot posted:

i hate itunes match.. or music match or whatever its called. some songs don't want to be matched no matter what even if bought elsewhere like bandcamp.
Apple doesn't have everything in their library.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

iTunes Match is meant to upload anything it doesn't have but sometimes it matches the wrong version of a song and because it's Apple there is no control given to the user to be able to say "no that's wrong please upload the file on my computer".

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Question that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

I use Windows Media Player as my primary library, have for 20 years, and used to use the MGTEK Dopisp plug in to sync my iPod Classic to it. I got a new iPod and that will not work anymore. I don't mind having iTunes installed on my computer as well and just using it to manage the iPod, however I want to be able to import my Windows Media Player playlists to iTunes and I've hit a roadblock.

I can save my WMP playlists as M3U's but any songs with special characters get hosed up. I understand that M3U8 would preserve those songs, but I don't know how to get from WMP to M3U8 and I'm having difficulty googling it. I don't mind paying for a conversion tool if one exists. Or if there is another file type I should be working towards.

Any assistance would be great. I've had this new iPod for almost a year and haven't used it because of this roadblock.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

M3U files don't have to be a specific text encoding, so it's likely being written fine, just in an encoding itunes doesn't support. You might be able to just open the m3u playlist in a text editor like notepad++ and change the text encoding to UTF-8.

Even just renaming the file extension to m3u8 might force itunes to read it correctly :v:.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Well I did it. I ordered a $300 dollar iPod classic from elite Obsolete tech. Super pumped to get it soon. Also ordered a ton of cd's from the library to rip. (Staples I've listened to for years on Spotify). Also upgraded the battery to the 3000 one so it will last a long time.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

susan b buffering posted:

M3U files don't have to be a specific text encoding, so it's likely being written fine, just in an encoding itunes doesn't support. You might be able to just open the m3u playlist in a text editor like notepad++ and change the text encoding to UTF-8.

Even just renaming the file extension to m3u8 might force itunes to read it correctly :v:.

The problem is when Windows Media Player saves the M3U if I remember correctly, it's been a while since I was first loving around with this. I figured I would just have m3u playlists so they would be consistent between libraries but then all the songs with japanese and korean characters started disappearing even in Windows Media Player and I had to recreate the playlists and revert to wmp files.

Violator
May 15, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Well I did it. I ordered a $300 dollar iPod classic from elite Obsolete tech. Super pumped to get it soon. Also ordered a ton of cd's from the library to rip. (Staples I've listened to for years on Spotify). Also upgraded the battery to the 3000 one so it will last a long time.

That sounds wonderful. I've often reminisced about how much better my music listening experience was using an iPod without all of the other digital distractions. Helped give me an opportunity to have a lot more mental clarity and focus. I know also had a lot less going on in my life at the time, but the less distractions you can give yourself - even if they're beneficial or entertainment - the better.

Edit: A listening to my own curated music was great. I get overwhelmed with the options provided by streaming services. It was much better being part of an MP3 community where you can got solid recommendations instead of an algorithm constantly pushing the latest genre in your face that you don't care about.

Violator fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 22, 2022

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does Apple Music not include iTunes Match? Are those two separate things or is my account just super jacked up?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They aren't the same thing, they are separate subscriptions.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 4, 2022

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Is there a way through the app (on MacOS and hopefully on an AppleTV as well) to force certain files to play in stereo? Some older rips I have are in 5.1 but apparently the channel mapping is messed up. They sound perfectly fine in stereo but on a 5.1 system it doesn't play the center channel at all.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Does trying to create a "random" smart playlist just suck on itunes or am i missing something?
In Rules i have limit to 200 items selected by random, but what it creates is pretty limited, like 10 full albums or so, just starting at the beginning, or at the beginning of recently added, or some other arbitrary point. I don't want 200 random tunes from the same artist i just added. I did do a purge of the database not long ago and have been adding things back in. Current stats is 51 artists, 2063 songs, but as you can see kinda from the pic is that it is using like 150 songs from "(hed)", followed by another 10 from "5 sec of summer" and some other that start with numbers, then like one random metallica song, and a random MOD album in its entirety.
What I really want is just shuffle those 2000+ songs and gimme the first 200 from that shuffled list

edit: so changing that greyed out selection line(Plays is 0) to something like (Playlist is Music) forces it to use the entire database. Its like the default is just some really small subset of recently added or new or something

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 2, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Does trying to create a "random" smart playlist just suck on itunes or am i missing something?
In Rules i have limit to 200 items selected by random, but what it creates is pretty limited, like 10 full albums or so, just starting at the beginning, or at the beginning of recently added, or some other arbitrary point. I don't want 200 random tunes from the same artist i just added. I did do a purge of the database not long ago and have been adding things back in. Current stats is 51 artists, 2063 songs, but as you can see kinda from the pic is that it is using like 150 songs from "(hed)", followed by another 10 from "5 sec of summer" and some other that start with numbers, then like one random metallica song, and a random MOD album in its entirety.
What I really want is just shuffle those 2000+ songs and gimme the first 200 from that shuffled list

edit: so changing that greyed out selection line(Plays is 0) to something like (Playlist is Music) forces it to use the entire database. Its like the default is just some really small subset of recently added or new or something

I ran into this same problem during a long drive. It seemed to just switch between tracks on about five different albums.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Apple sucking at doing things at random is the whole reason why I got so OCD about smart playlists in the first place. My suggestion is to make a smart playlist, limited to about half of your music library (in number of songs), picked by least recently played. That way after you listen to a song, it goes away for a while, and something you haven’t played in a while gets added in its place. Then just play that playlist on shuffle.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I ripped some CDs on iTunes (something I haven't done in probably 10 years) and saw that the albums are now available for me to listen to on Apple Music on my iPhone.

What is this feature? I'm not complaining, I'm just pleasantly shocked! These are limited edition CDs that are not available on Apple Music, which is the reason I wanted the files on my PC.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
iTunes Match, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I expect iTunes Match to be discontinued one day because it's useful