Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

An Apple Music subscription will also upload and sync tracks not available on the service. It does encumber them with DRM that makes the songs unavailable if you unsubscribe.

iTunes Match does the same thing except no DRM, and yeah it will probably be dead one day :(

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I expect iTunes Match to be discontinued one day because it's useful

Does it come with an Apple Music subscription? I see on Apple's website that iTunes Match is a subscription but I never signed up for it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Match is its own thing, I think. I've had it for a few years and never touched Apple Music because it doesn't have a lot of the music I listen to and I like having physical files of my music somewhere. Match can be wonky at times but generally it works great.

And yeah Apple's gonna take it behind a shed sooner or later.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I credit this thread for mentioning it, but my apple music library upload has been broken for months and magically just fixed itself today and it looks like that is populating now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WerthersWay posted:

Does it come with an Apple Music subscription? I see on Apple's website that iTunes Match is a subscription but I never signed up for it.

Again, an Apple Music subscription will match and upload your music that's not on the service but the resulting files have DRM on them like all Apple Music files do.

iTunes Match is a yearly subscription to do the matching thing except it lets you download the songs without DRM and keep them forever, even if you dump Apple Music and/or iTunes Match.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Because you can't use the explicit tag as a filter in smart playlists, I've started using the comment field to tag both the explicit and edited versions of songs in my library (when available). When I make a playlist with the rule "Comment IS NOT explicit" or "Comment DOES NOT CONTAIN explicit," Apple Music on my Android phone only recognizes songs tagged "clean" and not any songs with a blank comments field, which is the vast majority of my library. I've had to mass tag all my other songs "blank" to get them to show up for now, but is there a better solution?

I use the Grouping field for sub genres, and that seems to work okay if the field is not populated. I can append this to the Grouping field, but mass tagging feels like a nightmare once you start putting multiple entries in any given field.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The Modern Leper posted:

Because you can't use the explicit tag as a filter in smart playlists, I've started using the comment field to tag both the explicit and edited versions of songs in my library (when available). When I make a playlist with the rule "Comment IS NOT explicit" or "Comment DOES NOT CONTAIN explicit," Apple Music on my Android phone only recognizes songs tagged "clean" and not any songs with a blank comments field, which is the vast majority of my library. I've had to mass tag all my other songs "blank" to get them to show up for now, but is there a better solution?

I use the Grouping field for sub genres, and that seems to work okay if the field is not populated. I can append this to the Grouping field, but mass tagging feels like a nightmare once you start putting multiple entries in any given field.
Have you looked for the "ITUNESADVISORY" tag in the metadata? Value 1 is for the Explicit badge, 2 is for the Clean badge (although the latter only displays in iTunes itself I believe). I guess that won't help with smart playlists in iTunes, but perhaps you could sort by that field in an external program to do some of the mass tagging you mentioned. I know of at least MP3tag that allows that field to be viewed and edited, though I'm not sure how suited to mass tagging that program is.

fake edit - this is all assuming you're working with local files; if it's Apple Music i have no idea how much they allow you to work with metadata like that

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Minidust posted:

Have you looked for the "ITUNESADVISORY" tag in the metadata? Value 1 is for the Explicit badge, 2 is for the Clean badge (although the latter only displays in iTunes itself I believe). I guess that won't help with smart playlists in iTunes, but perhaps you could sort by that field in an external program to do some of the mass tagging you mentioned. I know of at least MP3tag that allows that field to be viewed and edited, though I'm not sure how suited to mass tagging that program is.

fake edit - this is all assuming you're working with local files; if it's Apple Music i have no idea how much they allow you to work with metadata like that

Yeah. I have MP3Tag, but a lot of these are gonna be Apple Music tracks. Thanks though.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

When I plug in my iPhone into my PC to back it up, iTunes defaults to my SSD. Is there a way to change it so it saves to my much larger D:\ drive?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Again, an Apple Music subscription will match and upload your music that's not on the service but the resulting files have DRM on them like all Apple Music files do.

iTunes Match is a yearly subscription to do the matching thing except it lets you download the songs without DRM and keep them forever, even if you dump Apple Music and/or iTunes Match.

Match was brilliant for swapping low-bitrate/crappy mp3's of songs in my collection for nice 256k versions then once it had done that for me unsubscribing so thanks for cleaning up my collection Apple

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hmm. That might be worth a try. I remember it being weird, but what it’s $20 a year? Can you really just copy the tracks from/to your home folder?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

God loving drat it I wish I could pinpoint exactly when my computer decides to recategorise my purchased and retagged tracks as “uploaded” so it can download a duplicate “purchased” copy with incorrect tags.

I still wouldn’t be able to stop iTunes Music from making GBS threads itself with endless self-generated duplicates but at least I’d know when to scream and swear. It’s like having to constantly bail out a sinking ship.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I don't see an Apple Music Preview thread for Windows so I'm trying my luck here (I'll probably cross--post to another thread too).

I want to try out the above app on my Windows 11 machine but it refuses to add any songs from my library. Any idea why this is?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ugh, I installed iTunes on a new PC and I always forget how to sort the song list by both artist and year. I can only do one. The album view looks fine but not the song list. I've done it like a dozen times before but every time I reinstall iTunes I forget how I did it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Ugh, I installed iTunes on a new PC and I always forget how to sort the song list by both artist and year. I can only do one. The album view looks fine but not the song list. I've done it like a dozen times before but every time I reinstall iTunes I forget how I did it.

Click to sort by Album, then click again. It becomes “Album / Year”.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

IUG posted:

You are a superstar. Thank you!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

IUG posted:

I legitimately didn't know iTunes could even do this :eyepop:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm giving Apple Music another go and I still don't understand how people use this. Like literally, mechanically, how do you listen to an album you've added to your library when they so frequently split themselves like this?

I somehow thought that this was a problem with locally added music and Apple Music albums wouldn't do this but I'm clearly wrong.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TACD posted:

I'm giving Apple Music another go and I still don't understand how people use this. Like literally, mechanically, how do you listen to an album you've added to your library when they so frequently split themselves like this?

I somehow thought that this was a problem with locally added music and Apple Music albums wouldn't do this but I'm clearly wrong.

I don’t have that problem often, but when I do I just select all of the same album and get info on them. If the (sort) artist and albums (or album artist) are already the same, then I add a space to the end of the album name, then do it again to remove it. That usually glues them back together.

Other than that, see if some are marked as “part of a compilation” or not, see if the artist has a track with a featured artist, and then use the album artist field, etc.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

IUG posted:

I don’t have that problem often, but when I do I just select all of the same album and get info on them. If the (sort) artist and albums (or album artist) are already the same, then I add a space to the end of the album name, then do it again to remove it. That usually glues them back together.

I remember doing that 10 years ago in iTunes. Can't believe they haven't fixed that yet.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

TACD posted:

Unrelated but your taste in music is excellent

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
the various Sort fields are a common culprit for split albums, as has been said; also check the "Total Tracks" count as I've seen different (or missing) tags there result in split albums

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Minidust posted:

also check the "Total Tracks" count as I've seen different (or missing) tags there result in split albums

I’ve never had this problem, and I have a few albums that fit this. If there’s a bonus track for an album, it’s track number 13 of 12, therefore just track 13 with the total track number as blank. Or where I’ve downloaded some bonus tracks from some album, but my CD copy doesn’t go that high. They can all be in one album.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IUG posted:

Other than that, see if some are marked as “part of a compilation” or not, see if the artist has a track with a featured artist, and then use the album artist field, etc.
Yeah it's fixable, but it's absolutely buck-wild that this happens directly from clicking the "Add to Library" button. Apple's obviously able to keep albums together as a single unit on their backend, so something very stupid must be happening for it to split into two just for my local copy when I've not touched the metadata at all.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Unrelated but your taste in music is excellent
:cool::hf::cool:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't know if it's funny or sad how little support the Windows version of iTunes gets, it's like they're adamant to never add dark mode support to it.

Also it's a laggy pile of garbage all around but I'm locked to it because I subscribe to Match. :emo:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve been using Cider on Windows and it’s pretty nice, unsurprisingly way more responsive than iTunes ever was.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, if only it supported Match I'd use it too.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
I still use iTunes (windows), to manage my music on my iPhone. Recently, I’ve been getting “Cannot Decode: the media could not be decoded. It may be damaged.” Only on the first track when trying to start an album on my iPhone. Tracks play fine on the PC.

As an aside, is would happen occasionally on the 2nd track many moons ago. I did some searching to mixed opinions without a concrete solution. One option I saw was to uninstall the music app on the iPhone, then reinstall.

Figured I’d ask in here before starting to mess with things…

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Game-Blouses posted:

I still use iTunes (windows), to manage my music on my iPhone. Recently, I’ve been getting “Cannot Decode: the media could not be decoded. It may be damaged.” Only on the first track when trying to start an album on my iPhone. Tracks play fine on the PC.

As an aside, is would happen occasionally on the 2nd track many moons ago. I did some searching to mixed opinions without a concrete solution. One option I saw was to uninstall the music app on the iPhone, then reinstall.

I've never had that exact issue but anytime I have an issue deleting the music library off of my iPod and resyncing it all usually does the trick. Instead of deleting the whole app you can go to General->iPhone Storage and just delete your music I think.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Game-Blouses posted:

In iTunes I have "view list checkboxes" enabled in the song view, and the setting enabled to only sync checked songs. Whenever a song doesn't play right on the phone, I uncheck it in iTunes and sync again (to remove it from the phone), then re-check and re-sync. Almost always fixes the non-playing song in my experience.

The only other thing I can think of is if the music is in like a super-hi-res format... a while back Nine Inch Nails did a direct digital release of some stuff and I had to use 3rd-party conversion tools before it could sync to my phone properly.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

Minidust posted:

In iTunes I have "view list checkboxes" enabled in the song view, and the setting enabled to only sync checked songs. Whenever a song doesn't play right on the phone, I uncheck it in iTunes and sync again (to remove it from the phone), then re-check and re-sync. Almost always fixes the non-playing song in my experience.

The only other thing I can think of is if the music is in like a super-hi-res format... a while back Nine Inch Nails did a direct digital release of some stuff and I had to use 3rd-party conversion tools before it could sync to my phone properly.

You know, I generally pride myself in having a lot of common sense, and being pretty good at this type of problem solving. Legit embarrassed that I didn’t think to try this. It worked. Thanks so much!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Game-Blouses posted:

You know, I generally pride myself in having a lot of common sense, and being pretty good at this type of problem solving. Legit embarrassed that I didn’t think to try this. It worked. Thanks so much!
Very glad this could help! Curious, are your files being downsampled or converted when synced to the phone? I'm going from Apple Lossless to 320kpbs AAC (I think it's 320; whatever the highest-quality downsample option in iTunes is), and I've been wondering if the occasional non-playing files can be chalked up to that conversion process.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Minidust posted:

Very glad this could help! Curious, are your files being downsampled or converted when synced to the phone? I'm going from Apple Lossless to 320kpbs AAC (I think it's 320; whatever the highest-quality downsample option in iTunes is), and I've been wondering if the occasional non-playing files can be chalked up to that conversion process.

That’s what was going on when I ran into that same error. Note to self: I should really give the Apple Music preview a try.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

nitsuga posted:

That’s what was going on when I ran into that same error. Note to self: I should really give the Apple Music preview a try.

If it helps any, the Apple Music preview on Windows has come a long way since launch. I couldn’t modify smart playlists, there was on 3rd party integration for Scrobbling, etc… that’s all been fixed since launch and I think it works pretty great now, or at least as great as Apple Music gets anywhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There's no way to turn on shuffle/repeat from the iTunes "mini"player, is there?

smr posted:

If it helps any, the Apple Music preview on Windows has come a long way since launch. I couldn’t modify smart playlists, there was on 3rd party integration for Scrobbling, etc… that’s all been fixed since launch and I think it works pretty great now, or at least as great as Apple Music gets anywhere.

Smart playlists working might be enough for me to give it a try, because I loving loathe iTunes. I just don't want to blow up my library/break syncing. iTunes and Apple Music (the service) has given me so much trouble that I'm relatively content with things just sorta working, as they are now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I foolishly tried to solve my duplicates problem by interacting with iTunes, and clicked File > Library > Show Duplicate Items. Now my 'Recently Added' playlist is stuck in song view mode and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the album view back… I'm so, so tired of dealing with this cursed loving application every time I want to listen to music :cry:

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

TACD posted:

I foolishly tried to solve my duplicates problem by interacting with iTunes, and clicked File > Library > Show Duplicate Items. Now my 'Recently Added' playlist is stuck in song view mode and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the album view back… I'm so, so tired of dealing with this cursed loving application every time I want to listen to music :cry:

Does it not still appear under View > View As?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Does it not still appear under View > View As?

:(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TACD posted:

Don't think so

Show View Options =

I've been trying to figure this out too, but I'm stuck in Album view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rinkles posted:

I've been trying to figure this out too, but I'm stuck in Album view
Have you tried clicking File > Library > Show Duplicate Items lol

Edit: Well, I clicked on "Listen Now" and then went back to "Recently Added" and it's changed back to the album view. I would be loving fascinated to spend a day watching how the iTunes / Apple Music devs use this goddamn thing, I assume it has to be where they send new/inexperienced coders to just kind of gently caress around and try things out.

TACD fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 25, 2023