Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

This question isn't exclusive to iTunes users, but how do you guys organize your genres? I tried for a while to get really intricate and precise by using a [Genre] / [Subgenre] format (i.e. "Metal / Groove") but I eventually said gently caress it and now I just have "Rock," "Rap," "Electronic," and "Metal."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Has anyone tried syncing iTunes libraries across two computers (specifically a Mac and a PC)? I'd really like to do this, whether it's through passing off an external hard drive or using the network (I'd assume the former would be faster).

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

pokeyman posted:

You can use the same library on both if you don't mind only having one copy of iTunes open at a time. If you want both copies open on the same library at once, this won't work for you.

All you have to do is share the library over the network (or you can put it on an external drive and just shunt it around). Make sure the "iTunes Library" file has the .itl extension (it won't if it's on a Mac version of iTunes, but you can add it and it'll work fine in both). Then, open iTunes by holding option (on Mac) or shift (on Windows), and point it to the iTunes Library.itl file in question. You might get a brief "updating iTunes library" message when switching from Windows to Mac or back, but it should work fine after that.

Sounds simple enough. I'm assuming that'll save all playlists and such, right?

Also, if I'm using an external drive, I guess I won't have to worry about having them both open at once.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

SmirkingJack posted:

Agreed. My other podcast gripe is that it doesn't allow users to rename podcasts. Look, I am not going to remember what ST01 or BE102 is, just let me rename it to something more descriptive.

It's not a very good solution, but it's a solution nonetheless: you can convert the podcast to an MP3 and then change the tags on the MP3 version.

Also I had no idea Apple did that whole "cancel your subscriptions if you haven't listened in a while" deal. That's really dumb, especially since they don't tell you about it.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I just tried using my Mac's iTunes Library on my PC and at first it crashed iTunes but after trying again everything was fine, so... :confused:

I really like the new set up, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a universal iTunes experience across computers and doesn't expect to have the app running more than once at a time. I should mention that I'm using MacDrive to read the HFS+ external drive on Windows.

Now, for a question. I remember a while ago I had an app for windows that would re-embed album artwork in the sound file. However, I can't find it now, and I was wondering if you guys have used it/know what it's called. Doug's re-embed artwork script for Mac works wonders, but now that I'm going to be using the Windows iTunes a fair bit, I'd like that little bit of functionality restored.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Cowculator posted:

There's still only one "Let It Be" on my album list after I do this.

I'm sure there's a better option, but how about naming one album "Let it Be"?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Cowculator posted:

Album names are case-insensitive, so the entry in the album list changed to "Let it Be" but clicking on that still gives me both albums.

gah, that's really lame.

try either of these:

1) change the "sort album" setting for both
2) select all the tracks in one album, get info, and check "Part of a compilation" under the "Options" tab. repeat for the other album.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Cowculator posted:

I changed these to "Let It Be (Beatles)" and "Let It Be (Replacements)," respectively. It left all of the files in place and both continue to show up as "Let It Be" in iTunes, but now there's a separate "Let It Be" entry in the album list for each one. Thanks!

Glad that worked. I can't think of any same name albums I have, but when I do, I'll be sure to take my own advice.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Since I got my Mac and PC libraries synced up, I finally got the nerve to start making playlists, and hey, I'm liking it a lot! I especially like the idea of using playlists to fill my iPod touch, as before I was just randomly dumping albums in there; now iTunes can do most of the work for me!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

Here's my situation - I recently got a MacBook Pro which I wanna have my iTunes library on. Problem is, I still use my desktop PC (not an Apple) to listen to music on because I have better speakers connected to it. Is there a way to synchronize these two libraries? I also want to be able to use iSproggler and iScrobbler with last.fm.

Sorry if this has been answered before!

This works best if your library is on an external drive:

Make sure both your Macbook and desktop PC have the latest version of iTunes installed. On your Mac, change the name of "iTunes Library" to "iTunes Library.itl." Hold down option while opening iTunes in OS X and choose iTunes Library.itl as the library. Hold down shift while opening iTunes in Windows and repeat the process.

If everything goes well, you'll be able to use the same library between the two nearly seamlessly. Everytime you switch computers, you'll have to wait a minute or so (depending on your library's size) for iTunes to "check" the library, but once you're up and running everything should be consistent throughout.

Note that you can't be running iTunes at the same time (which would be impossible if you used one external drive).

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

SOLVED

I like using MediaMonkey for music organizing and listening on the computer, but I need to use iTunes to sync to my iPhone 4S. I'm wondering if there are tools/scripts that will help me automate the following steps:

1. Create compressed copies of files (.FLAC/.MP3/.M4A to 128 Kbps .M4A)
2. Resize album art from large to small (~300x300)
3. Embed album art in compressed files.
4. Sync compressed files to iPhone.

All the tutorials I've found have to do with older iPhone hardware, which MediaMonkey appears to have supported. I suppose for the purposes of my question, the fact that I use MediaMonkey is sort of a moot point anyway.

I'd appreciate any help. If you do something similar, please tell me your method. Also, if there's no way to automate this, that's fine; I'm just trying to save time if possible. Thanks! :)

EDIT: I found a plug-in that syncs from MediaMonkey to iTunes; it does everything I wanted except resize album art. That's not really a big deal, but I would be interested to hear other people's methods.

EDIT 2: In case anyone's interested, the free Sanse Mp3 Art Sizer (direct download) batch resizes/compresses album art. This blog post shows how to set custom dimensions/file quality. It's pretty straight-forward after that.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 4, 2012

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Why did you want to resize your album art? To minimize the file sizes?

Yeah. I normally save high-resolution art as a single "Folder.jpg" file, but that art has to be embedded for it to appear in the iPhone player. It can sometimes be over a meg, and if I'm not mistaken, that meg gets added to every track in the album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I noticed a nice new feature; you can rename an album's title/artist from the grid view: