Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

When they made the switch from iTunes to Music, about a month later I found I had two libraries as well. Everything new was being copied to ~/Music/Music/ and the old media was at ~/Music/iTunes/ still. I had a similar problem, and it was fixed just by, in Finder, moving the files from the old folder to the new one. I may have even had iTunes running at the time, and using the Get Info panel I could see it even tracked the file path for the songs without a problem. I never got missing files that way.

Maybe go to your old computer, do that move, and then migrate your music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Correct. One computer only. Unless you use the Apple Music subscription.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cerv posted:

thanks
on a Mac btw. looking through the folders somehow despite Music.app being set to keep the library folder organised it seemed to somehow have stuff split across at least 3 different folders, from the old iTunes/Media, iTunes/Music and new Music structures.

For some reason I was able to just move the files from the old ~/Music/iTunes/Music/ folder to ~/Music/Music Library/Music/ folder, and iTunes saw the files without any changes at all.

Also, again I have to say how stupid a name like "Music" is for an app, especially for that file path.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I noticed I can't either a few days ago.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why would you keep the low quality versions? In these cases I just give the new file the exact same file name, and copy them over the original files. Then I just get info on the songs I replaced in the music app to check the tags (the album artwork usually goes missing).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah so I would just rename the files of the high res stuff to match the low res, and then overwrite them by drag and dropping them over the low res. Then go to iTunes and get info, and watch the but rate change to show you got the new one. This also lets you keep your play count and last played, which your method wipes out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Minidust posted:

I may be misunderstanding, but could you change the Sort Album metadata before importing, to force iTunes to maintain two separate albums in your library?

I don't think this would work. Sort just changes where the albums are listed in the columns, not the metadata. This is how I sort "Grand Funk" and "Grand Funk Railroad" into the same artist tab, but in Finder they're still two separate folders.

What I've done instead for albums, is just use square brackets and put the edition names in there. So for Foo Fighters, I have "The Colour And The Shape", and "The Colour And The Shape [Expanded 10th Anniversary Edition]". Those get sent to two different folders in the Finder. I could join them to the same album in iTunes by changing the Sort Album to just be "The Colour And The Shape" for both, and it would still display the bracket stuff on the tracks that are from that rerelease.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and then there's "Artist" and "Album Artist". I set album artist to the name on the album, of course. But when there's a track featuring another musician, I put that in the Artist tag. So "Aesop Rock & C-Raz Walz" is the artist, "Aesop Rock" is the album artist, and the Finder has the tracks in the "Aesop Rock" directory.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 22, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Apple sucking at doing things at random is the whole reason why I got so OCD about smart playlists in the first place. My suggestion is to make a smart playlist, limited to about half of your music library (in number of songs), picked by least recently played. That way after you listen to a song, it goes away for a while, and something you haven’t played in a while gets added in its place. Then just play that playlist on shuffle.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Ugh, I installed iTunes on a new PC and I always forget how to sort the song list by both artist and year. I can only do one. The album view looks fine but not the song list. I've done it like a dozen times before but every time I reinstall iTunes I forget how I did it.

Click to sort by Album, then click again. It becomes “Album / Year”.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TACD posted:

I'm giving Apple Music another go and I still don't understand how people use this. Like literally, mechanically, how do you listen to an album you've added to your library when they so frequently split themselves like this?

I somehow thought that this was a problem with locally added music and Apple Music albums wouldn't do this but I'm clearly wrong.

I don’t have that problem often, but when I do I just select all of the same album and get info on them. If the (sort) artist and albums (or album artist) are already the same, then I add a space to the end of the album name, then do it again to remove it. That usually glues them back together.

Other than that, see if some are marked as “part of a compilation” or not, see if the artist has a track with a featured artist, and then use the album artist field, etc.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Minidust posted:

also check the "Total Tracks" count as I've seen different (or missing) tags there result in split albums

I’ve never had this problem, and I have a few albums that fit this. If there’s a bonus track for an album, it’s track number 13 of 12, therefore just track 13 with the total track number as blank. Or where I’ve downloaded some bonus tracks from some album, but my CD copy doesn’t go that high. They can all be in one album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Click to sort by album, then again to sort by album, by year.