Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sinusoid posted:

Apologies if this has already been answered.

I have a moderately large library (43k, 270gb) and iTunes is set to organize the files. Sometimes when I import downloaded music with weird file-naming conventions, iTunes will copy the song to the right folder, but it won't rename the file. It's set to play songs on import, and the song that first plays will almost never be renamed correctly. Manually renaming the files takes loving forever with a library of this size, so that's out of the question -- I just want it to work. Any idea how to fix this?

To clarify, poo poo like

1_artist_title.mp3
2_artist_title.mp3
3_artist_title.mp3

will end up looking like

01 Title.mp3
2_artist_name.mp3
03 Title.mp3

in my library.

Maybe there's something wrong with the ID3 tags? In the right click menu, there's "Convert ID3 Tags", so give that a go, and then check the file back in the Finder to see if that's your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sinusoid posted:

That seems unlikely, because this occurs with almost everything I download -- even with stuff from last.fm that should have fine ID3 tags. A friend with a larger library also had the same problem before he gave up on iTunes altogether.

I mean try it with one. Then reconsolidate your library to see if it fixed the one. Then you're on your own if that does fix it, and then finding all of the offending files.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here's a small thing that irks me.

You can see that the song's length is longer than what iTunes acknowledges. Actually, this song went on until 6:15. I wish it would notice how long a song actually is, and fix the library with whatever the proper song length is just by playing the song to completion once, but that's not the case. It seems to be happening a lot lately with some of my new music, and I wish I knew a way to fix it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I should have said I was on a Mac. I guess I assumed Mac product, Mac user. I guess not with iPods and all, but whatever.

But yes, VBR.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Taking a guess that maybe their bit rates will be lower than yours? Just short by bit rate, and see if getting rid of some of the lower bitrate music will help fix the problem. EDIT: Even better, sort by date added, and you'll see all of the duplicates they added pretty much on the same day I imagine.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

When you looked for them/redownloaded them, you did this through the Podcast browser, and not just adding them to the Library, right?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have the latest version, and it's there even though I have it automatically updating all my playlists. Can you screenshot your Music tab in the iPod pane?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

clayburn posted:

I am having an issue with different albums that have the same name showing up as one album on my iPod. I have three different albums titled Greatest Hits. In iTunes there isn't much problem, but when I browse by album on my iPod this appears to be one large album containing the content of all three CDs. Is there a way to fix this problem short of naming the albums "Greatest Hits - Artist?"

Do you have the "Compilation" tag on for these CDs? Turn it off if you do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are these all by the same artist? I had that problem with two albums, so I just titled one "Greatest Hits 1987" and "Greatest Hits 1990" to fix the problem.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

cold-cell posted:

Why can't i tag multiple items as part of a compilation anymore?

They moved it a few versions ago.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

mexecan posted:

Okay, it's time. With Apple starting the free ipod for students deal I foresee a mac purchase for me in the near future.

A question: copying my mp3s from my PC to the Mac should be straight forward enough. However, is there any way to also transfer over my itunes data (preferences, lists, ratings etc) so I'm not starting from scratch?

I'm not sure if the Library file is the same across platforms. On the Mac, it's an .xml file. If you wanted to compare some code:

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Major Version</key><integer>1</integer>
	<key>Minor Version</key><integer>1</integer>
	<key>Application Version</key><string>8.1.1</string>
	<key>Features</key><integer>5</integer>
	<key>Show Content Ratings</key><true/>
	<key>Music Folder</key><string>file://localhost/Volumes/LEELA/Music/</string>
	<key>Library Persistent ID</key><string>BCFF6DBF69243C09</string>
	<key>Tracks</key>
	<dict>
		<key>1525</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Track ID</key><integer>1525</integer>
			<key>Name</key><string>The Outsider (Apocalypse Mix)</string>
			<key>Artist</key><string>A Perfect Circle</string>
			<key>Composer</key><string>Danny Lohner, Joshua Eustis, Brandon Steineckert</string>
			<key>Album</key><string>aMOTION</string>
			<key>Genre</key><string>Alternative &#38; Punk</string>
			<key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string>
			<key>Size</key><integer>11516485</integer>
			<key>Total Time</key><integer>328437</integer>
			<key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Track Number</key><integer>3</integer>
			<key>Track Count</key><integer>9</integer>
			<key>Year</key><integer>2004</integer>
			<key>Date Modified</key><date>2009-04-14T19:09:09Z</date>
			<key>Date Added</key><date>2008-04-13T17:24:20Z</date>
			<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>280</integer>
			<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
			<key>Play Count</key><integer>27</integer>
			<key>Play Date</key><integer>3322552437</integer>
			<key>Play Date UTC</key><date>2009-04-14T15:13:57Z</date>
			<key>Rating</key><integer>60</integer>
			<key>Album Rating</key><integer>60</integer>
			<key>Album Rating Computed</key><true/>
			<key>Sort Artist</key><string>Perfect Circle</string>
			<key>Sort Name</key><string>Outsider (Apocalypse Mix)</string>
			<key>Persistent ID</key><string>BCFF6DBF69243C20</string>
			<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
			<key>File Type</key><integer>1297106739</integer>
			<key>File Creator</key><integer>1752133483</integer>
			<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Volumes/LEELA/Music/A%20Perfect%20Circle/aMOTION/03%20The%20Outsider%20(Apocalypse%20Mix)%201.mp3</string>
			<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>4</integer>
			<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer>
		</dict>

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Strict 9 posted:

I was wondering about this too. I asked in the iPhone thread but they're too busy talking about Craigslist. I found a tip to add a "#" in front of the artist in the sort tab, but that didn't seem to help.

Isn't this what the "Compilations: Yes" thing is for? I thought it would stuff it all into a "Compilations" thing at the bottom of the lists.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dustgun posted:

I'd really like them to be separate accounts - separate libraries. Grandma likes NPR podcasts and light jazz or piano, grandpa likes country and 60s rock. If the two ever got jumbled in any way, well, I'd prefer not to have to fly back to sort things out :(

Make them smart playlists for those genres, set it to sync to only their own playlists, turn on screen sharing so you can remote in whenever something goes out of wack?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EC posted:

Since iTunes doesn't store the rating information in the tags, is there a plugin or something that will (a) tag the ratings into the tags and (b) read the existing ratings from the tags and write that into the iTunes db? I'm trying real hard to use iTunes, but it's so alien from what I'm used to doing...

When I had to move them, I just sorted by ratings, and then added to the comments "5" for 5 stars, and so on. When I moved the files, I changed it back. Just make sure that when you do this have the comment field visible right next to the stars, just so you can see if you're going to overwrite anything in those fields.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hate yankees posted:

I skimmed through the thread and I don't think I saw any question along these lines...

I want to make a smart playlist that divides podcasts by specific categories (News & Politics, History & Education, etc.) that only displays podcasts that I haven't listened to as well as the newest podcast. I can make the playlist show only unheard podcasts and automatically updates, but I can't get it to sort specifically.

The problem is the podcast title or whatever states a category, but the actual podcast audio file is blank. For updates, I only keep the newest podcast - so if I change the category for the audio, it will disappear/revert back to a blank field.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what your problem is exactly, but assuming that you haven't listened to a podcast, it's safe to assume your play count is zero. You could change the genre of the podcast to whatever categories you want in mass by just selecting the "folder" the show is in, in the podcast tab. So just do a smart playlist with format = podcast, genre = x, and playcount = 0. That should just about do it, as far as I can tell from what's going on from your end.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Am I right in thinking that ipods don't collect played/skipped statistics for tracks, like itunes does? Or am I just doing something wrong?

No, it definitely does. I am pretty insane about my music stats, but the iPod will sync last played and play counts with your iTunes. I for one just listened to some tracks on my iPod here in class. I also rated those songs using screen sharing. So at home the song is 3 plays with 3 star ratings, and when I plug it in it'll show 4 plays and keep the ratings for that album.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I can't think of anything except maybe force reset your iPod (should be like select and menu depending on your model), and make sure your clock is set? These are just guesses, but better than nothing now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

vas0line posted:

I have about a thousand songs on a massive playlist I want to export to a folder on an external drive. The problem is, when I drag them out of iTunes directly, it copies the individual tracks and does not preserve files.

Is there a way to export individual tracks from iTunes, while preserving folder structure? Alternatively, is there a script or some freeware that will rebuild the folder structure of a bunch of .mp3s based on their id3 tags?

If it were 200 tracks, I'd do it manually no problem, but it's 1,000 files. :(

Thanks!

I know there's a way to do this in Automator. I used to do it in order to find tracks via their comments, select them in iTunes, and it would copy the mp3s into a new folder on the finder. If I were home at my Mac I'd figure out this script for you, but it'll be a few hours.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I can't find something like this on Doug's Scripts, but is there a script he's made (or anyone) that will play the oldest song last played in a playlist? I have a "Not-A-Week" playlist, but when I start playing from that playlist, I want the first song to be the song I haven't heard in the most amount of time, then have it go into random play like it's set to. I just don't want to have to sort the playlist by last played, and then pick the top one, and then sort it back the way it was every time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Carthag posted:

You could keep the playlist sorted by last played ascending, then choose that playlist in party shuffle, and when you wanna hear music, go into the playlist and select the top song to "play now in party shuffle". It's a hassle, but itll give you the song most unrecent followed by a random sampling from that list.

That sounds like more of a hassle than what I was doing already, since I have a not-a-week playlist, and a not-a-month, and so on.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not sure how exactly it works when you don't let it orgainize, but if you delete a file from the program, does the message come up asking what you want to do with the file? That would mean you can delete the file from the program, and then it asks to leave the file or move it to the trash (or cancel). You can leave it, move it where you want and then add it back. Or I guess you can do that without deleting it. But you are stuck with doing things first in iTunes, or it'll lose track of the file.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sure, I'll put something in there later.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BDawg posted:

I currently have all of my music in Users/Me/Music/Artist Name/Album Name/Song.mp3.

When I buy stuff from iTunes Music Store, it goes to Users/Me/Music/iTunes/Stuff Goes Here.

When I turn on "Keep my music organized," will iTunes move my stuff around?

I think it will for all the stuff that you add to the library after the point that you turned it on. However, it won't move anything until you tell iTunes to consolidate the library. I'm about 90% sure it won't do it automatically when you turn on the organization preference.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, added some info on how to move your library to help keep that down, however WaffleImages seems to be down, so I can't add the images for it yet.

ElBob posted:

I've whipped up a script that finds the oldest (longest since played) track in a playlist and plays it, not messing with the current shuffle settings.

Paste that into script editor and save it in ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts

Should do what you want.

Holy crap, thank you, this does indeed do what I want. I almost missed that you did this because it's not the newest post of course. But thanks again!

IUG fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 16, 2009

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think the problem is that Album Artwork is stored in the iTunes Library folder. Sounded like you're storing your Library on one computer, and not the computer you're syncing with. However, when you paste album artwork it doesn't really add it to the mp3 file anymore. Apple likes to stick the files into it's weird little "Album Artwork" folder (in a way no human can easily navigate). I'm willing to bet those 10% of albums that do have artwork somehow had the artwork written into the mp3 file.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

I have around 35GB of music and today I am finally going to go buy an External HD to back it all up. What's the best way to do this? Just go to the iTunes music folder and right click, send to external? Or is there an option in iTunes?

Just added this to the OP. Short version is to open it, pick the new folder location in iTunes, and then have it consolidate.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dexter6 posted:

I have a questions about switching to a Mac that involves iTunes.

Right now, I have a desktop running XP which has all of our MP3s. My wife has her own laptop with iTunes that she syncs with her iPhone and I have my own laptop.

If I get a new iMac, can we create multiple user accounts which have separate iTunes libraries? She doesn't need to see my music and I don't need to see hers.

Thanks!

If you hold down option, it lets you select libraries. Otherwise, you could just make more than one user account on the OS. But holding alt on startup sound the easiest if iTunes is the only thing you want to be different. I personally would try different accounts and use fast user switching.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hogs do not cry okay posted:

I've been using the Top Rated smart playlist for a while, but I've encountered a problem.

I only want 5 starred songs on my playlist, which is what I've specified:

I've rated an album out of 5, which you can see with the hollow stars, and the whole thing shows up in my playlist. I only want those specific songs that I've rated 5 to show up. I've toyed around with the Album Rating option in the smart playlists but nothing seems to work.

Your images don't work, but based on what you said I think I understand. The thing is, if you rate an album, then the songs in that album will assume the album's ratings if none are set. You can set those songs to whatever star rating you want, or delete the rating, but the album rating should stay the same.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's some terminal command that will let you run one program multiple times. Maybe try that with Spaces to organize the different running iTunes, and have them all point to different AirTunes? I've never tried something like this or with AirTunes at all, so I don't know, but maybe this will help.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dakara posted:

I was interested to see that no one mentioned this in this thread when the article came out..

Boy Genius Report, usually a pretty reliable source for rumors (they are, admittedly, just rumors), published an article regarding iTunes 9 and features that may be inbound: integration with social networks (last.fm, anyone?) and Blu-Ray support among other things.

There's always tons of debate about whether iTunes is cluttered enough as it is, so of course these sort of features will do nothing but make an already ~140mb application (iTunes 8.2.1 on OS X 10.6) a lot larger.

Thoughts?

EDIT: here's an image reportedly showing iTunes 9's last.fm integration

That is exactly a copy of a standard Last.FM window pasted over an iTunes window. I could shop that in 5 minutes and take a photo of it too. Hell, he didn't even take the transparency into effect on the logo in the library, it's got hard white corners.

EDIT:

Make the window tall enough, and you'll lose the background image.

IUG fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 31, 2009

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

I can't imagine it's possible but I thought I'd ask... I'm planning on replacing all my Beatles mp3s with the new remasters that are coming out tomorrow. Ideally I'd like to somehow replace the existing files with the remasters while keeping the ratings, play counts and other information like that. Is that at all possible?

Yup, just insert the CDs and hit encode. Just make sure the artist, album, and track name/numbers all match, and it will automatically replace while keeping the ratings, comments, and playcount. This works with anything. If you have any one of those wrong, then it will make new copies of the mp3s on your computer. If you have it right, it will ask you to replace the originals (this is what you want).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Carthag posted:

If you end up with duplicates, you can try deleting the old ones and naming the new ones the exact same filename/path, then launching iTunes. It should think the new ones are the old ones.

If you end up with duplicates, you can try deleting the NEW ones. Don't delete the ones with the info you want to keep.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet that iTunes 9 allows for more complex criteria for smart playlists. Just use the new ellipses button to add nestable groups of criteria.

Oooo, I'm going to have to update now then.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Those nested rules in Smart Playlists are going to help out a lot. I already managed to fix one of my problems with playlists.

I have this playlist, but because I want it to only list videos I haven't watched, the rules forced me to place this playlist in this folder, and use these rules:

Placed in that folder, and it would negate itself and break if you selected the video folder. You couldn't make it match "Any" of the rules, otherwise everything with zero playcount, movies and music alike, would be in there.

Now:

You can do an "Any" rule inside of an "All" rule. So now I can include all of those playlists, and have a zero playcount. Also, it can be put into the video playlist, where it makes more sense.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Terpfen posted:

I have to admit, I'm more interested in how you're getting Zero Punctuation in iTunes than the smart playlist listing.

I go to the site, let everything load but the video. Then I go into my user folder in Finder, then go to /Library/Caches/Camino/Cache/ and sort it by date modified. I then load the video, pause it as soon as it starts to play, and watch that folder in the finder. When the video is done I have a file that is about 12 megs or so. I copy that to the desktop, rename it with an extension of ".flv". Open it in Quicktime, export it to the iPod format, and then add it to iTunes.

This also works with YouTube, the videos on here, or pretty much almost any flash video file.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Terpfen posted:

Encoding/database question.

I've got an album in MP3 format that I ripped myself a while back. Now I'd like to re-rip the album into Apple Lossless, but I'd like to do this while preserving my song ratings and play counts while also deleting the current MP3s from my library.

How can I do this?

Insert disk, import. You'll get a warning that it'll replace the files. The information will be saved. However, if the Artist/Album/Title/Track Number don't match, then you're going to be importing a whole new file, and have duplicates. That warning message is something you want.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You know, I never had problems with iTunes sorting CDs by CD number. It would always list whatever tracks from disk 1, and then sort the tracks from the next disk.

However, yesterday I was trying to fix something on my friend's PC, and for the life of me I could not get it to sort the CDs right. It would simply sort them by track number, ignoring the CD number. Is this something that's just on the Windows side? EDIT: Nevermind, I just checked my iTunes, looks like it's an error introduced with iTunes 9.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

rckstar79 posted:

If you sort the album by any field other than track number, it will organize the disc properly. If you sort by track number, however, it wants to couple all of the tracks together (1,1,2,2 etc). I hope they fix this soon.

I am, and always have been, sorting by "Album by Year".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

maniacripper posted:

I wish so badly to be able to set different sync settings for different podcasts.

I'd like to sync the only the one most recent podcast for videos and the 3 most recent audio podcasts. Itunes doesn't help in this regard, is there an alternate way to do this that won't gently caress up/be gently caress up by Itunes?

You should be able to do this with two smart playlists.

Playlist is Podcasts
Media Kind is Video
Limit to 1 selected by Most Recently Added.
Automatically update.

&

Playlist is Podcasts
Media Kind is Audio
Limit to 3 selected by Most Recently Added.
Automatically update.

Put these playlists in a folder, and then sync from that folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, I didn't actually create the playlist, I just assumed that would work. And now that I check it, no, it wouldn't work because Podcast doesn't show up in the Playlist condition either.

Well I'm guessing that you only have a few podcasts, so maybe you can just make a few conditions for the artist of those podcasts, and then it would all be basically the same until you subscribe to a new podcast.