Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
I recently got a new computer and have attempted to transfer my iTunes library (all music) over without a lot of success. I'm trying to go for seamless continuity. I think in a nutshell, that I pretty much created a new library rather than moving my existing one over. I backed up all my songs and moved them over to the new computer. I also exported my library and playlists. Originally the playlists did not transfer over, but when I manually exported them and brought them in, they did work.

When in iTunes on the new computer, all of my songs in the library are selected, or "checked off." In my previous library I had tons that were not selected or checked off. Also, pretty much every album was given it's own playlist. I'm pretty sure I tried moving over the music first, then importing the library file and vice versa.

I tried reading the OP, but admittedly not the entire thread. I also read various articles. I was able to do this years ago without issue, but apparently my computer savvy has since degraded. Do you have any suggestions on how I can keep my library intact on the new computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

IUG posted:

Run iTunes to make a blank library. Then copy over your old /Music/iTunes folder on top of the blank one. That should be all you need to do.

I've tried to uninstall iTunes, then reinstall before trying any of this. That still keep my old info in there. Even if I delete the old library. All the old playlists that I don't want stay there. On the old computer I kept my library under My Music. All albums were under that. I also had an iTunes folder amongst all the other music folders. I transferred all of those folders over to the My Music folder on the new computer. I don't know if there were some other important files under Program Files/iTunes that were needed. I feel like I'm making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

IUG posted:

Yeah I think you are. You just launch the program once to make the folder in ~/Music/, quit the app, and copy over your old iTunes folder over the empty library folder. You don't have to use the export or import commands from ITunes..

Is the problem that I don't have all my music folders as subfolders under the iTunes folder? As it stands now, I have all my album folders as well as an iTunes folder free floating under My Music.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
I still use iTunes (windows), to manage my music on my iPhone. Recently, I’ve been getting “Cannot Decode: the media could not be decoded. It may be damaged.” Only on the first track when trying to start an album on my iPhone. Tracks play fine on the PC.

As an aside, is would happen occasionally on the 2nd track many moons ago. I did some searching to mixed opinions without a concrete solution. One option I saw was to uninstall the music app on the iPhone, then reinstall.

Figured I’d ask in here before starting to mess with things…

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

Minidust posted:

In iTunes I have "view list checkboxes" enabled in the song view, and the setting enabled to only sync checked songs. Whenever a song doesn't play right on the phone, I uncheck it in iTunes and sync again (to remove it from the phone), then re-check and re-sync. Almost always fixes the non-playing song in my experience.

The only other thing I can think of is if the music is in like a super-hi-res format... a while back Nine Inch Nails did a direct digital release of some stuff and I had to use 3rd-party conversion tools before it could sync to my phone properly.

You know, I generally pride myself in having a lot of common sense, and being pretty good at this type of problem solving. Legit embarrassed that I didn’t think to try this. It worked. Thanks so much!