Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

My gods do I ever hate this goddamned application...

Here's my situation:

1. iTunes on Windows 8.1 64-bit
2. I have iTunes Match. I've had it since it came out. My library is properly uploaded to it.
3. I do not have Apple Music. I do not loving want Apple Music.
4. My library is just... hosed. One to four copies of every goddamned song, some on the cloud, some on the drive, it hasn't reliably synced purchases downloaded to the phone to the PC... just a nightmare.

All I want to do is this:

- Completely loving empty iTunes. Destroy the library. I've got the raw files backed up externally.
- Have it download fresh copies of everything from Match.
- Once all the files are back in, SHUT MATCH OFF ENTIRELY. It's too hosed overall, and I'll manage my poo poo manually after this.
- I will then rebuild my playlists from scratch, and resync them to my phone from scratch. I don't think there's a way to avoid this.

Is this even remotely possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

IUG posted:

If you delete the library (or just move it to another folder temporarily), how will Match know what to download?

Maybe just move the media files, and then launch iTunes. Then enable Match, and have it download to the proper location. Maybe also use the "Find Duplicates" menu option first to help prune out the duplicates.

I'm assuming Apple's piece of poo poo cloud service keeps a record in, y'know, the cloud that a given account has access to these given songs. How does my iPhone know what it should have access to when I add it to iTunes Match other than to pull that data from Apple's side of things?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

TACD posted:

I would think the easiest way would be to download any higher-quality versions of matched songs first, then turn off match and flatten / reinstall iTunes. Make a smart playlist along the lines of type=music, iCloud status=matched, bitrate<256kbps, delete everything in it and redownload from the cloud. Then you can start fresh and weed out duplicates.

The fun part is I cannot find where to turn Match off in the Apple Music-version of iTunes anymore. I can shut off my auto-renew under my account, but just shut off Match? Totally hidden.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Jack Gladney posted:

I just noticed that in album view itunes auto-scrolls back to the top of the window whenever a new track starts, and I have to scroll back down to the album to see the next track or choose a new album. It's very annoying and I can't seem to find a setting for it.

It seems to be a change with the most recent update.

This has been my favorite feature of trying to recreate my playlists, too. Thanks to Apple fuckery, I have a mixed-up mess of songs stored locally and in the cloud. So if I'm trying to select from an artist with, say, 11 albums, and the 3rd and 5th albums plus a random scattering of tracks across the others are "in the cloud", and I want to download them locally because gently caress trying to sync mixed cloud/local songs to a phone, that's just a recipe for heartache... so I tell iTunes CTRL-A and tell iTunes to make everything available locally, the super-clear way you have to know means "download" in today's iTunes.

The little loving download circle starts filling up, and after EACH loving one finishes downloading, iTunes will bounce the album view back to the top. Even if you're picking and choosing other tracks in that view from lower down to drag to playlist, gently caress you, iTunes doesn't care, it needs to SHOW you that each song has loving downloaded as it loving happens.

What? You think that simple audio cue it gives you when all current downloads are done is enough? gently caress you and your stupid needs, iTunes doesn't give a gently caress what you're doing, it's going to take control and show you what IT'S up to, over and over and over...

I seriously haven't hated an application this much since like Lotus Notes 4.6. I ever meet somebody from the iTunes team in person, I will happily spend a night in jail for punching them in the jaw.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Last Chance posted:

It sounds like you need therapy more than a better piece of software. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

My post was hyperbolic, but seriously, the trouble I and many, many other users have had trying to sync large amounts of music to their expensive smartphones because iTunes is poo poo at its job isn't acceptable. Say what you will about Android, but there's a variety of syncing solutions, both wired and wireless, that have all always worked just fine for me. iTunes and iPhone syncing used to work reasonably well back when iPhone hard drives were tiny, but trying to sync north of 64GB of music has been nothing but an unsuccessful exercise in frustration for a year now. And now, thanks to how jacked-up Apple Music is, it's not even a reliable method of maintaining one's computer music library in order.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Last Chance posted:

I have 71gb of music in the cloud and never really had any issues with it. I even tried selecting a bunch of albums in album view and clicked "Make Available Offline" and it didn't bounce me around at all. No idea what your issue is.

My issue is with iTunes. That you fail to comprehend that isn't my problem.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Last Chance posted:

Yeah? And I tried recreating your issue in iTunes in order to see if I could see if there was a setting or something to change, please don't start hitting me or your loved ones.

No, you didn't "tr[y] recreating [my] issue in iTunes". You simply told it to download a large amount of cloud files and said "it's fine". That's great, and that works over here, too, but that's also not what my problem has been.

If iTunes is great for you, great. It doesn't need you white-knighting it and you barging in to tell every single person that actually has a problem with it, and we are legion, that it's all in our head.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

porktree posted:

All my epubs are in a calibre library on dropbox. When I want a new book I go to the files app and import it from dropbox into ibooks.

This is what I do, too, since I'm a dumbass who has a Kobo, Kindle and likes how iBooks renders books. Everything gets bought on Amazon, then stripped and converted in Calibre and sent to the other device type as needed. Works fine.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

ufarn posted:

Are there any good Overcast cross-apps for macOS and Windows? I am so goddamn sick and tired of iTunes, and it's not like an Electron app is going to be a downgrade.

There are just fifty trillion Electron apps with like ten stars on GitHub, and I don't want to commit to some dude's weird hobby project.

The Overcast web player is pretty bad, but if you're willing to move your iOS app, Pocket Casts is a) great and b) has a great web player (new one in beta now is even better). It's my Windows/iOS cross-sync solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

nitsuga posted:

That’s what was going on when I ran into that same error. Note to self: I should really give the Apple Music preview a try.

If it helps any, the Apple Music preview on Windows has come a long way since launch. I couldn’t modify smart playlists, there was on 3rd party integration for Scrobbling, etc… that’s all been fixed since launch and I think it works pretty great now, or at least as great as Apple Music gets anywhere.