Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003
I'm weird...so forgive me
Nice thread. I have a couple questions about iTunes that maybe someone around here can shed some light on:

1. If I edit track or album information under the "get info" tab, does this write the new information to the ID3 tags? I assume that it does.

2. Related to (1), if I add album art in iTunes to an album, does it embed it in the tags or only display it in iTunes?

3. Maybe I'm dumb but I'm confused by the sorting options when viewing the library. Example: I'd like to view albums by year, with the most recent first. I can click on the album column to display "album by year" but it doesn't seem to be sorted in a logical way. It starts with a 2003 album, then 1998, 1980, 2003, 2001. I don't get it.

4. Does anyone know how genius actually works? Does it analyze other peoples' libraries for songs that are in the same playlist or songs in the same library? I think I'd like genius more if I had some actual idea how it worked other than "using the power of the cloud, it chooses songs that go great together." Thanks Steve.

Tips:

You're listening to music but also browsing around your collection - to get back to the currently playing track, click the little leftward-pointing arrowing in the main info box at the top of the screen.

There are a lot of scripts out there that can do many useful things. They're free and don't require any technical expertise. http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003

thegloaming posted:

This question isn't exclusive to iTunes users, but how do you guys organize your genres? I tried for a while to get really intricate and precise by using a [Genre] / [Subgenre] format (i.e. "Metal / Groove") but I eventually said gently caress it and now I just have "Rock," "Rap," "Electronic," and "Metal."

I just gave in to the same problem. I've also narrowed mine down to "Rock" "Rap" "Comedy," "Instrumental" and a couple others.

It'd be cool if you could keep the main genres but also designate sub-genres. From reading the iTunes support forums it seems there isn't really support for multiple genres, but people suggested using the "comment" field and smart playlists.

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003
Having artists from a compilation CD scattered all about pissed me the hell off too. But I was able to get it under control after browsing the iTunes support forums.

It seems simple enough but it took me a while to get it right. Here's how I make it work:

1. Album artist should be set to one thing. So for an album of Bob Dylan covers I just set album artist as Bob Dylan and left the artist for each track intact.

2. Under "Get Info" -> "Options," choose "yes" for "part of a compilation."

3. Under the advanced menu of iTunes preferences, choose "group compilations when browsing."

This worked for me and there are no longer random artists cluttering up my iTunes/pod.

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003

rubbersoul posted:

One of my favorite itunes for mac plugins is dock art. It replaces your itunes dock icon with the album art of whatever is currently playing, and makes it look like this:

http://homepage.mac.com/gweston/dockart/index.html

Sizzlingkeys is also a great itunes controller for those who don't have itunes controls pre-made on their keyboards on their old macs.

http://www.yellowmug.com/sk4it/

Wow. Dock art looks sweet. After meticulously tagging my whole music collection with album art awhile back I'm always looking for ways to display it.

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003

mclast posted:

Not totally sure if this is an alternative, but the best replacement I've found for Foobar2000's tagging functionality is entagged. The GUI isn't anything, and it's made as Java multiplatform so there's none of that good OSX consistency, but it has great tagging automations including freedb lookups for albums.

Foobar2000 is the only thing I really miss about Windows since switching to OSX.

Dammit. After reading the readme, I think trying to get entagged to run on OSX is above my skill level.

It seems like there isn't really a free go-to tagging program for OSX. Basically I want to run my music through a tagger before I drop it in iTunes. On Windows I used MediaMonkey for this and it worked flawlessly.

iTunes tagging is decent, but it can't autotag from Amazon or anywhere else. What if an album has no track numbers/year? It should be easy for iTunes to add them in, but the only way I know now is to do it manually (in the case of track number, one by one).

At this point I might even be willing to pay something.

Edit: TriTag seems to be a pretty decent free tagging program. http://osx.iusethis.com/app/tritag

VERTICAL WIPE! fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 6, 2008

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003

Grayham posted:

Here's an excellent guide for smart playlists in iTunes.

There's also some very useful information about the way iTunes operates.

Cool. This guys seems to have some good smart-playlist ideas.

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003

groverat posted:

I've read the entire thread, so hopefully this wasn't already answered, but here is my issue:

I want to fill my iPhone with 4* and 5* tracks, so I have a Smart Playlist set to include all tracks rated better than 3*. However, this gives me duplicates

An example:
The Smith's "How Soon Is Now?"
It is on Hatful of Hollow and Meat is Murder as well as the Pitchfork Top 500 Songs. I have three copies of it, all rated 5*. I want to keep all three copies, because I want to preserve the integrity of the collection, but I don't need 3 copies of it on my iPhone.

Obviously this isn't a problem for just one song, I do it manually, but it's a pretty widespread issue in my collection.

[edit]

Added an image to illustrate the problem and also to manipulate readers into being more interested in my post.

Kind of a workaround, but you could keep only one track rated 5 and un-rate the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003

amiches posted:

Is there any way to replicate the functionality of Foobar's Last.FM plugin in iTunes? In addition to scrobbling it can create artist charts, which are incredibly useful when you've just kind of blind downloaded something and want to see which songs are most listened to. If not, is there any Mac-compatible audio player that can do this?

I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but using iTunes and the Last.FM scrobbler will scrobble your tracks as you listen to them. It'll also scrobble music you listen to on an iPod.

You have to go last.fm to see your charts.