Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Anyone found a way to assign music to multiple genres / tags? I'm thinking of the format that is under http://www.discogs.com as a guideline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
iTunes doesn't keep track of folders in its library and treats the library as a collection of files, not directories. Furthermore, it doesn't really self-update on anything except RSS feeds for podcasts and shared iTunes libraries. You'll need something like a folder watcher to do what you're looking for.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Carthag posted:

Or you could have a common library file outside the home directories and have each user's iTunes point to that file.
Doesn't this corrupt the iTunes library with multiple users accessing the same library at the same time? Never tried it, just curious.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
You can assign quotas for each of the smart playlists that get synced to your portable devices and so you're just limited by how crafty your smart playlists can get. Here's an example of what I mean.

Works fine for (partially) syncing my iPhone to my 30k song library. God help me if they ever make an iPhone that can hold my entire collection.

I moved my iTunes library for my iPhone to another machine and it works fine so long as you move the iTunes library (the itl file and XML) over. Example of what I mean is posted here.

Can't help with the iTunes Store bit since I don't use it for anything but iTunes apps, sorry.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
iTunes repeatedly modifies media files by meddling with their tags if you make modifications to them like embedding cover art. Now, rating an item does not change its individual metadata - only iTunes' metadata. So, syncing ratings and playcounts only affects the iTunes library itself, not the files themselves.

Be warned that dragging and dropping stuff off the network onto your local iTunes library can rape your network connection. It took over 10 hours for iTunes to deal with 100GB (14k titles) over a 54mbps wifi network, so I didn't even want to try the full 1TB library.

I'd suggest trying to add the library locally (using the consolidate option) and to port the library over to a network mount after it's updated all the gapless playback and sound level info. I'm considering a gigabit ethernet network just because of iTunes basically because currently it takes a long time to sync my phone while my network gets saturated.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

noydb posted:

This might be a long shot, but is there a way to automatically encode my apple lossless over to aac while I'm transferring music to my ipod?
In short, no. I've always wanted to write a plug-in for iTunes that would do this for me, but it looks like iTunes syncing could get messed up if you have one item that looks the same on your hard disk but is rather different on your actual device. The next best thing possible is to use something like mp3fs under Linux and have it re-encode FLAC files on the fly to CBR mp3s.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

jimmyel posted:

Does any tagging software do this for me? I normally use Tune Instructor, but it seems to be no help here.
I have a bunch of multi-artist tracks and haven't really found a good solution on any platform. You can blame ID3 tags for this restriction basically. It'd be nice to have a track appear on more than one album, more than one artist for the track, and other full-featured info in an ID3 tag, but frankly, it's a pretty primitive system.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Lamech posted:

it's a nice step, but christ why can't I just have an option to watch whatever folder I want?
I'd say potential security issue (watching a folder and have objects created in it automatically get dropped into the library? Sounds like an attack vector!). Although, creating a centralized location to attack now makes it less secure in many respects, isolating it to one folder (that's probably going to shift around more as people put libraries in different paths) instead of possibly letting users add folders to watch just might be a fair compromise. Merely having a call to add a new watch folder could get exploited given Apple's security record, so they played it safe while adding this very asked-for feature I'd say.

I'm mostly excited about being able to transfer music between libraries now though. Too bad precisely the day before iTunes 9 showed up was when I had to manually transfer 8GB of music between two disparate libraries...

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

astr0man posted:

Bumping this again from the last page, but sub-sorting in albums view is back in the current 12.0 beta. Still not sure why it disappeared in the last version but I guess they were planning on getting rid of the "view options" thing anyways so maybe thats why.
While you can do sub-sorting in local iTunes libraries, this doesn't show up for remote libraries through Home Sharing. I normally can't manage playlists through that anyway, but if they're trying to blend remote iTunes libraries and local ones, they're not doing the best job of it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Clint Howard posted:

Are there any issues with having my iTunes library on a mapped network drive? This is on a Windows network, and I always manage my library manually (I leave "keep iTunes Media folder organized" unchecked). If the networked drive is disconnected, iTunes won't blow up, will it? It won't be able to locate my music files obviously, but I assume my library will be fine until I reconnect the network drive.
I've run my iTunes music library off of a CIFS share for several years now and done the let iTunes manage my files thing mostly alright. On a rare occasion, I've had iTunes permanently lose track of my album art for a bunch of albums that were inaccessible for a period of time and even though the library doesn't show me album art, iTunes' database thinks there's album art assigned, so a smart playlist will not record it as having album art. The fix for it is to simply have iTunes re-load the tags by going to the first track's information. This really doesn't work well for me since I have like... 2600 albums now.

I won't recommend letting iTunes keep the actual iTunes Music Library.itl file on the network file system though, that thing's hit constantly and network latency starts to take its toll quickly on the performance of the iTunes client.

Things work out fine as long as you try to keep iTunes from running if the network drive is down for whatever reason, so keeping your network share stable is absolutely critical to avoid having to un-suck your library if you've had to curate your library like I have.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Speaking of tagging, anyone know a sane way to try to tag LPs that are directly ripped to tracks that can work with most software? I'm thinking of tracks labeled A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3 but don't want to just enumerate them as 1, 2, 3 because I might have another album named the same title with the same year that has a different track set and it'd help me figure out if it's from the LP-only release versions. iTunes doesn't seem to like my track letter-number combos last I saw, and I got random ordering.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Regarding the new OP: I envy your OCDness with library organization and completeness. I used to have like a 13 step process I'd go through with every album in order to properly tag and catalog everything for my impeccable library but lately Spotify Premium has spoiled me and I haven't bothered or desired to worry about my actual music library in months.
I kind of have to curate my own library because most of my music doesn't even show up in Spotify. Also, streaming music to a mobile device really destroys battery life in my experience and given my iPhone 5S barely lasts a work day on battery despite my best efforts keeping media on my device is still my go-to.

13 steps though? I really don't have a huge problem after I've manually entered in the audio tracks to freedb and let everything work through foobar 2000 (or Picard, whatever), have a script write the folder.jpg or cover.jpg to the tags individually (iTunes' Get Album Art won't work on 80%+ of my files), and plop everything into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder and have that do the file renaming for you. If you want to go absolutely bananas and become a music curator professional or something maybe you could just pull in data from discogs.com and that could be done with a one-off script that makes sense for whatever insane tagging system you want.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but have you played around with the "sort album" field in the track info? You could append the Sort Album title with some extra descriptor to keep the tracks separate from other editions, or similarly-titled albums.
I'm ultimately looking for a tagging layout that could work elsewhere like foobar2000, Media Monkey, etc. and not have my files look like they did in 1998 off of Napster. I'm looking for something more elegant than Album Title [LP], Album Title [Limited], Album Title [JP] kind of garbage that litters music tags from random places online. But I'd like to capture the metadata better to indicate a variant of the same album. I'd prefer something like a "release format" field so I could put down something like "UK LP" "UK CD" "JP LTD CD" and die making a microformat. I currently copied a lot of the edition information into the random "comments" field that isn't sortable or indexable.

Which field are you talking about though? Do you mean the Sort as "album" field in the below screenshot? Do you know if it gets written out to id3 tags in the generic field or if there's a field that's accepted for it? Sounds like it's worth a shot though, thanks.

Minidust posted:

On the subject of album metadata - there's no way to set a year for an album outside of the year listed in individual tracks, right? I'd like to use Album Artist -> Year for my overall sorting, but compilations throw that off as I always tag tracks with their release years. That might sound like overkill but I really like using the specific years in smart playlists.
Not sure if it'll help for your case, but the Grouping field may be helpful since it's probably the most widely abused tag for "I just want another random field."

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

Yeah, iTunes will alphabetize and group by whatever it reads in the Sort as "album" field, without actually displaying that version of the title anywhere. "Get Info" is the only place you'll ever see it.
Well, the last part you got right but it doesn't seem to work with the iTunes 12 groupings for albums the way I expected it to...

I got a concrete example, yay. Had to get on a punk roll again to figure out a good example. Then there's like the 40 goddamn Underworld discs to go through with 4 editions of Born Slippy remixed by a 5 year old.

The first 3 are from the sort title of "Never Again [7IN]" and when it looks like it's a second CD in the album, it's the LP version I have sorted under "Never Again [LP]". The LP version is really labeled A1-A9 and B1-B8 as well. iTunes won't even let me put in A1 for the track number :( Maybe the compromise is to call the A sides Disc 1 and B Disc 2... but what about double LPs now?

More importantly, I've discovered that iTunes will ignore the year when grouping in album view AND in song view (it's just shoved in together as the same album). Had to check again, but the 7" came out in 1981.

Also, I'm not sure what's going on but iTunes isn't writing out my tag changes to disk at all (the album according to the id3 tag reader says Never Again LP like it did before). Maybe it's because they're on network volumes? (Highly doubtful, oh well)

gently caress I hate music nerd OCD.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I've deleted album artwork directly by selecting all the files, get info, going to Artwork tab, and deleting the artwork. That should remove album art from the embedded tags. To add back album art as tags I have to copy-paste the album art into that field.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
You can always take a look at the iTunes Library.xml file and see what's still referencing that directory with a text editor and if nothing references the directory in iTunes, you're probably safe to delete the directory. I had the same problem but I can't really be bothered to care about the 10 GB of leftovers in that directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

I haven't tried wifi syncing in years, has it gotten any better? I've gotten more finicky with my playlists lately, so it'd be nice if I could just sync changes overnight without going near my computer.
I've been using wifi sync on and off because I have a central iTunes library on a virtualized server and until somebody did something in maybe iOS 11 wi-fi sync really actually mean wi-fi sync - it would only work through wi-fi network devices. I know this because wi-fi sync wouldn't discover my iTunes server for years and didn't know about the wi-fi restriction, so I bought a USB wi-fi adapter... and before I installed it, wi-fi sync started working. That was about the time iOS 11 came out and after I updated iOS and iTunes I was able to get wi-fi sync going. So now I can use my VPN to sync from my home machine rather than iTunes Music.

Also, I don't do cloud music because half my collection doesn't show up in cloud libraries, iTunes Match has been buggy historically, I hit the song cap in Google Music 30% of the way through my library, and using up my data plan for music on-the-go in any manner is total garbage to me. On top of that, the recommendations I've gotten from every service I've tried are patently offensive to my tastes (sorry, there's nobody that's into Morbid Angel and Septic Flesh that is going to be into Drowning Pool and Avenged Sevenfold). Even the classical recommendations are off (Ianis Xenakis and Philip Glass make sense, Penderecki is not related to Bach and Strauss).