Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Why doesn't iTunes update the skip count when I skip the song in iTunes?

Skip count only seems tied to when and if a song was skipped on an iPod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

piezo4 posted:

code:

tell application "iTunes"
	if player state is not stopped then
		try
			tell current track
				set played count to (get played count) + 1
				set played date to (get current date)
			end tell
		end try
		next track
	end if
end tell

Thanks for this. :)

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Cowculator posted:

How do I get iTunes to distinguish between two albums with the same title? I have two albums called "Let It Be," one by the Beatles and one by the Replacements. I'd like them to show up separately in my album list so I can select just one and play it, but unless I rename one of the albums I get both of them together as soon as I click on the title, and there has to be a way around this that doesn't involve creating separate playlists for them.

Set the "Album Artist" tag.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Here's an excellent guide for smart playlists in iTunes.

There's also some very useful information about the way iTunes operates.

quote:

A couple things to note:
  • For my star rating system I use 1 stars to tag songs that I want to delete from my library. I find this very useful and suggest you do the same. You will see this referenced throughout different playlists.
  • For a song to receive a "skip count" you must press the "Next" button on a song while its playing between the 2nd and 20th second of the song. If you hit next before or after this it will not count as being skipped. This means that sometimes if you want a song to receive a skip count you will have to start it over and wait for it to pass two seconds to skip it.
  • For a song to receive a "play count" the end of the song must be played. This means even if you "scrub" a song all the way to the end it will get a play count, but if you play a song, but hit the "Next" button before its over it wont get one.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
I really don't understand why Apple limited iTunes from adding a skip count to only when you skip during the first 2-20 seconds of the song. :byodood:

e: It's usually not till a minute into the song that I want to skip it. :argh:

Grayham fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 15, 2008

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Grayham posted:

I really don't understand why Apple limited iTunes from adding a skip count to only when you skip during the first 2-20 seconds of the song. :byodood:

e: It's usually not till a minute into the song that I want to skip it. :argh:

I figured out how to overcome this limitation with an Applescript, which means it only works with OS X only, sorry Windows users.

code:
property differential : 2 -- seconds

if player state is not stopped then
		set player position to (differential)
		next track
	end if
end tell

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Eight Is Legend posted:

I've saved a script with this code - where do I put the file?

I believe the script menu is enabled by default. Click on the first script, the Open Scripts Folder script, and save my script in there.

I use a Quicksilver trigger (ctrl + alt + command + right arrow) to invoke it.

I actually refined this a lot once I started understanding Applescript a little more.
code:
	if (current track exists) and (player state is not stopped) then
		set a to 2 -- seconds
		set b to 20 -- seconds
		set c to player position
	end if
	if c is greater than b then
		set player position to a
		next track
	else if c is less than a then
		set player position to a
		next track
	else
		next track
	end if
end tell

Grayham fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 20, 2008

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

flesy posted:

Are there any free programs that can get album art for me? The tags are already tagged great so it doesn't really matter if it can't do any of the tag stuff

If you're not completely against it, sign up for an iTunes account. Sign into it in iTunes, select all songs in your library, right click and select "Get Album Artwork".

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

ranathari posted:

Every time I plug my iPod touch in, iTunes starts up. The option is greyed out in under the options tab for this iPod and it's unticked anyway. Anyone know how to solve this short of removing iTunesHelper from my login items?

What's the problem with removing iTunesHelper? That's exactly what I did.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

sicjoke posted:

I am a recent iTunes adopter, having switched fully to Mac from Windows in the last month or so. I am loving it so far but have a dumb question regarding the management of movies using iTunes.

As an iPhone owner from time to time I convert my movies from full size into something more reasonable for the iPhone, putting them into iTunes so I can get them onto the phone. The only problem in doing so is that I now have two versions of the same movie, one full size, the other the smaller format, sat in the movies section of iTunes. It looks stupid and I want to be able to separate them out somehow, so the smaller versions exist in a different place within iTunes (and conversely in FrontRow when I am hooked up to the TV).

The same problem exists for TV Shows to a lesser extent. It seems like there should be another section called iPhone Video where I can dump all this stuff. Is there anything thing that I can do? Sorry for being thick!

The only thing I can suggest is to create smart playlists for each. Probably the best way is to use size as the determining factor.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Tutu posted:

Does anyone know a good mac program for adding lyrics to your songs in itunes? I'm surprised there isn't an iphone application for this.

I use GimmeSomeTune.

There's no real easy way to batch add lyrics but it adds lyrics to songs as they're played.

FYI, iTunes will pause for a second or two as the lyrics are added to the song. I believe it's an iTunes limitation.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

trilljester posted:

Is there a way to visit the iTunes Store of another country? Or set your iTunes to act like you're in a different country?

On the bottom of the store page there's an option to change to another country's store.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

ottonomy posted:

For those of you using "Needs Rating" playlists who were having songs stop playing when you rated them because they got bumped out of the playlist: you can use the itunes DJ to play songs from that playlist; then rating them won't make them stop.

This is fantastic. Thanks.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Is there a way to get a smart playlist for all unrated tracks?

do it posted:

:eng101:

Just click and hold on the stars and drag to the left to get zero stars.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that iTunes ignores this new voice memo 'kind'.

Voice memos still show up in my 'Music Only' playlist. :mad:

So to filter them out I am forced to use this:

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

dustgun posted:

My grandma's had an iPod for a while, and my grandpa's $5 walmart one just died and he's thinking about getting one. Setting up separate windows accounts for them feels like it might be a very very big hassle, since they've never had separate accounts for anything as long as they've been using computers.

I know that you can get iTunes to prompt for a library by holding down shift while it starts, but is there a way that works with command line switches on shortcuts, and can maybe even automatically start the right iTunes when each of their iPods is plugged in?

I have a feeling that I'm going to end up just making a different windows account.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but two iPods can sync to the same account and library without a problem.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

danj122 posted:

what itunes app are you using to put the album art on your desktop?

That would be Bowtie.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Samurai Sanders posted:

Am I right in thinking that ipods don't collect played/skipped statistics for tracks, like itunes does? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Nope, they definitely do.

If you didn't know, a skip count isn't recorded as a skip unless you change to the next track in first 2-20 seconds of a track. I wish it went further, like say, 45 seconds. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Inspector Hound posted:

I need a good video converter for my iPod touch. I know Audacity is the standard for music files, but what's a good program to convert .avi's to H264 MP-4's?

Handbrake