Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.
Just wanted to say thanks for this. I didn't know about Smart Playlists and you gave me quite a few useful ideas.

To contribute something, the thing I find most useful for iTunes is this toaster plug-in. It's a little old and I just recently started using it again but I haven't noticed any issues.

Edit: nevermind on the toaster. It still works but I guess something is incompatible with newer iTunes versions because it adds about 20 seconds to the opening of iTunes.

TangyRaptor fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

Rock Tumbler posted:

Also, is there a way to make iTunes automatically update its library so I don't have to delete and re-add songs whose tags I updated with a program that actually does it properly? THIS INCLUDES alerting me to any songs it can no longer find and giving me the option to either locate them or remove them from the library!
Select the songs that you updated with Media Monkey or whatever, right click, go to Get Info, leave all check boxes unchecked and click ok. It should rescan the ID3 tags of those files.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

Can anyone tell me why this happens? As far as I can tell the tags are all exactly the same for artist, album, album artist, etc. I have a couple albums like this where everything seems identical, yet it separates them.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

friendship waffle posted:

Select both together using the shift key, hit apple-i for get info, make sure all the information is really the same. You can't see everything in those tags, and there could be something like a trailing spacebar after a name somewhere.
Yeah that's how I was looking at the info.

gregday posted:

Make sure neither has the "Album Artist" tag set.
Weird, the album artist tags were exactly the same but when I deleted the tag all together it merged them. I don't understand it, but it worked. Thanks.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

friendship waffle posted:

no, I meant select both albums at the same time, using the shift key, and hit apple-i to edit both simultaneously. They can't be different if you do this.

That's exactly what I was doing. All of the fields were filled out (instead of showing up blank which is what would have happened if they differed in even the slightest way) yet they still showed up as separate until I deleted the album artist tag.

edit: maybe the ID3 tag was corrupted or something.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.
I just came up with another question. I have my music stored on my desktop but I always connect to my library through my laptop. Is there anyway I can modify ratings and such remotely through iTunes? The way I do it now is remote desktop into my desktop, search for the song in iTunes and then change the rating which is a bit of a hassle. Is there any way to simplify this process?

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

pokeyman posted:

Share the library file itself, then open it on your laptop? I think it's option-click on Mac, probably alt- or ctrl-click on Windows, when opening iTunes to choose a library to open.

A hint:

No idea how many people have a similar setup, but it's pretty easy to use the same library in Mac OS and Windows. I have a Vista partition on my MacBook, and a copy of MacDrive. I point iTunes in both to the same library file and, except for a couple songs with funky characters in the filenames, everything shows right up after a brief "updating iTunes database" pause. I've seen others do the same thing using a shared network drive.

Thanks a lot, I never thought to do that.

edit: In case anyone else tries to do this, hold down the shift key in Windows while double clicking on the iTunes icon.

TangyRaptor fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

Radioactive Toy posted:

Does anyone use the iTunes Sound Check feature? I'm starting to get annoyed with the different volume levels of my music but I've read mixed reports about Sound Check.

I use it. I used to use MP3Gain on my tracks because when listening to my iPod in my car the varying levels really sucked. I've since stopped and just use the Sound Check feature and for the most part it seems alright. I'm not really sure the number of songs in my library that were corrected by MP3Gain and how many are being corrected by Sound Check but I have very little issues. I've noticed maybe 5 songs that aren't normalized but it hasn't been a big issue.