Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
Happy 10th decade of existence to this thread, let it die already you maniacs

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
(Broken links)

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 16, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

While I don't like playing Anarchy Online anymore, I do love talking about the early beta days. And shortly after release. AO will always hold a special place in my heart too because it was the first MMORPG that I really spent a great deal of time playing. I had an agent as my main.

But yeah, word of advice to people who might give this a go (and I suggest you do). This aint WoW. The OP is right about the difficulty. This is one of the harder MMORPGs out there and is pretty unforgiving if you screw up your character.

I wish Funcom would make it more streamlined and easier to play. Mainly they just need to make it easier to figure out how to spend your points each level, and get gear. I always found the implant system to be horribly overwhelming. The whole having gear as much as 75+ levels higher than you own and needing gear like that to get anywhere, was just weird and made things overly complicated. Adding quests in the same style as other modern MMORPGs would help too. Because seriously running missions over and over again sucks and is not the samething.

AO was just complicated for the sake of being complicated and you really need a few friends who are veterans to the game to show you the ropes. If you can get someone who will hold your hand through the early levels then you'll have a blast. This is still one of the best MMORPGs out there and surprisenly one of the few sci-fi MMOs. I still dont get why we only get fantasy games.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
(Outdated poo poo)

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 20, 2018

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN

I said come in! posted:

I still dont get why we only get fantasy games.

I'm convinced it's because sword n' sorc plays more directly into a greater number of people's sexual fantasies, enabling the kind of horrific cyber sessions we've all seen posted on the front page and thus, even if it's an unconscious choice, selling more copies to the masses.

The exception there is City of Heroes, which tapped into the oft-neglected furry and huge-breasted demon/angel slut market and thus still thrives even to this day.

This is the world we live in. :(

Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot
Isn't this the game that set the train wreck standard for AoC? Why are there difficulty ratings for class types? Are the hard classes just broken with no chance of being fixed?

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
(Far outdated poo poo)

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 20, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Detaer posted:

Isn't this the game that set the train wreck standard for AoC? Why are there difficulty ratings for class types? Are the hard classes just broken with no chance of being fixed?

I'll tell you what wont ever be fixed or improved, Agent false professions. :(

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Detaer posted:

Isn't this the game that set the train wreck standard for AoC?

Anarchy Online has had the single most rocky development cycle for any MMO that I'm aware of for a game which is still running today. It was not uncommon in the bad old days for a patch to come out and the entire game to be broken for days afterwards.

I recall one particularly memorable bug which caused all character models to render in game rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise from vertical, so you would run along the ground with your left shoulder buried in the ground. This persisted about a day before they figured out what the gently caress.

Years before this, the game launched unplayable.

I don't mean buggy, I mean the game was not playable.

It's certainly not nearly so broken these days, it does however show the legacy of having gone through no fewer than three different directors, all with different ideas on how the game should be developed. Is it a bad game? Certainly not.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I just spent $5 and reactivated my old shadowlands account to gently caress around. Who should I contact if I want to make some new goon friends? (RK1, omni tek)

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Just a reminder that this game requires certain levels in MAP READING to use maps. That you have to buy. And plug in your head. Also, you might as well run around naked for all the good 80% of the gear does. I mean, who thought making damage specific armor class attributes for armor and then saying 1k specific AC = 1 pt damage reduction was a great idea? Also, the core game is still buggy as all hell after seven years.

This game is just horrible all around.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
How come the only bugs I've been encountering for a long while now have been minor issues with zoning? Everything else works fine.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Captain Schlork posted:

How come the only bugs I've been encountering for a long while now have been minor issues with zoning? Everything else works fine.

There are technically some bugs around, but honestly, the game is pretty drat stable now. Hope that doesn't break with the new engine.

Also, re: towers > are we back in a swing where clan is now taking the high tower sites and tara, or is it still the lowend sites only (<ql 210 tower sites)?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I just got 30 days of free play time, so expect to see me back in game soon! I might even get Dongfrenzy up to 220!

Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot

Luminous posted:

There are technically some bugs around, but honestly, the game is pretty drat stable now. Hope that doesn't break with the new engine.

So are you really hoping that funcom, a game company that has proven they break often times as much as they fix with minor patches will be able to pull off a major one like a complete engine update without breaking poo poo? gently caress I hope they don't destroy their character database, or set fire to their hosting data center doing the engine update. Adding bugs is probably the more hopeful end of the spectrum.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

I'll tell you what wont ever be fixed or improved, Agent false professions. :(

Reason I quit after getting my Agent to 215. They put out 3 or 4 patches that progressively nerfed Agents and made Soldiers pretty much invincible in 1v1 PvP...

Even though soloing Alb (was it alb? it was the inferno dungeon with all the terrors and such) was fun, not getting invited to any raids because well.. you're an AGENT.. sucked pretty bad. I just got another offer from FC to reactivate so I might sign back up at some point.

As a word of warning, unless you're in one of the three orgs that have enough people to run game-end poo poo, and unless you're a doc/tank, good luck getting to do anything but solo/PVP past 210.

In other news, how's that fancy-rear end OMG NEW GRAPHICS UPDATE coming along? I've been waiting for that poo poo for ages.

EDIT: Also, I'll probably reactivate, see how the climate is now-how is Clan doing on RK2 (Rimor)? When I left, it was so disorganized that Tara/Towers/Station wins were a once in a million occurence. I've been playing on and off since beta. If you know them, I was one of the starting members of Leet-Bloc, LSoR, and a bunch of other Rimor Clan guilds.

EDIT 2: Read up on the website, new engine is coming summer '09 now? Good ol' FC.... It was announced for December of 08 "at the LATEST" before. :laugh: Also, Sil is no longer the chief GM? All you ex-agents out there might want to join back up, cause this just might be the best news for non-soldier profs in a while. (Sil was an rear end to agents and basically bowed to shade/soldier OMG we're not invincible enough! whining.)

As far as it's dev history-yeah. AO is pretty much the poster-child for how NOT to run a game, but the community is great and after 7 years of bugs the game is very much stable, barring the occasional total rear end-gently caress of everything on the servers and a couple of bugs that won't go away (Pet pathing :P )

The community still rocks though-I think this is the only game that has it's own fan-run radio station and such.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 3, 2008

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains
Well, Means is a great guy to be the lead, since he was like, THE main guy doing dev it seemed. At any rate, if you read the update on the new engine, he mentions they are extending it to models, etc. This is a good thing.

Plus they aren't rushing it out the door just to appease fans.

And yes, I have pretty good confidence in FC to release a fairly bug free patch these days, even a huge one such as a new engine. They aren't perfect, but they have changed their ways on a lot of things. With Means, and previously Sil, in the driver's seat, you can know that there are genuine people leading that care about AO going on a good path.

I'll probably use the 30 days free gametime for this holiday season, we'll see.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just signed back up and got riight back into my old org. Now all the newbies are 220 and they're helping me grind the last few levels. :)

Honestly, there's something about the way that AO gets bugged that is great. Both by the scale of the bugs (hey guys! we just patched all these old bugs! this is gonna be GREAT!!!! oh wait. noone can change zones any more. We'll fix that soon, enjoy sitting in a shop and bitching in OOC!) and by the general community reaction, which is more along the lines of "wheeeee FC does it again!" instead of the usual whine/bitchfest.

And yeah, the new projection is for Summer of '09. Taking all bets on it being released in 2011 for DX8 and 2015 for DX10.

Also, I just have a bit of hate left for Sil from the before when he would pretty much bow to soldiers/shades whining about not being godlike enough and keep nerfing agents because they had one good attack (aimed shot).

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
What's this blathering about shades? I haven't played for a while but are you saying they are no longer glowing free kills in BS? All I remember Sil doing for shades was getting those loving retarded perks fixed so that we didn't have to completely break mice by the dozens any more by sawing back and forth while clicking like an epileptic when trying to kill anything.

Also, leveling itself is pretty drat fast in AO last I checked, only thing slowing it down is that there aren't enough people to play with any more. When I was last in AO, it felt like old EQ1, hours and hours of LFG and nothing happening.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 4, 2008

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Naturally Selected posted:

The community still rocks though-I think this is the only game that has it's own fan-run radio station and such.

Eve-Online has one but AO has the advantage of not attracting complete and utter morons.

Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot

Honestly, there's something about the way that AO gets bugged that is great. Both by the scale of the bugs (hey guys! we just patched all these old bugs! this is gonna be GREAT!!!! oh wait. noone can change zones any more. We'll fix that soon, enjoy sitting in a shop and bitching in OOC!) and by the general community reaction, which is more along the lines of "wheeeee FC does it again!" instead of the usual whine/bitchfest.

So the scale of the bugs is so huge that you can do nothing but sit back and laugh? You just whack your leg put on a hearty grin and say "Ohh FunCom you scamp! har har!" That is something you like in an MMO? I am really not seeing how that is something I could deal with. I played AoC for 3 weeks after release, I decided to dump the game because it was a giant pile of poo poo. Now here we are how many years after AO's release and they are still doing poo poo like this? I am amazed they have enough of a customer base or revolving door of investors to keep them afloat. AO:C (Anarchy Online : Crap edition) doesn't seem to be getting any better the more it gets patched, is this Stockholm syndrome at work?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Detaer posted:

So the scale of the bugs is so huge that you can do nothing but sit back and laugh? You just whack your leg put on a hearty grin and say "Ohh FunCom you scamp! har har!" That is something you like in an MMO? I am really not seeing how that is something I could deal with. I played AoC for 3 weeks after release, I decided to dump the game because it was a giant pile of poo poo. Now here we are how many years after AO's release and they are still doing poo poo like this? I am amazed they have enough of a customer base or revolving door of investors to keep them afloat. AO:C (Anarchy Online : Crap edition) doesn't seem to be getting any better the more it gets patched, is this Stockholm syndrome at work?

Well people like to exaggerate, AO isn't any more bugged these days than any other MMOG that has been out for years. Launch was different though, I still get hilarious kicks out of reading the review. That thing should be in the OP.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Also, I just have a bit of hate left for Sil from the before when he would pretty much bow to soldiers/shades whining about not being godlike enough and keep nerfing agents because they had one good attack (aimed shot).

I won't argue about any soldier or shade love, because I think soldiers have been overpowered for a long time. Shades definitely needed the love.

But seriously, you are complaining about agent nerfs? SERIOUSLY? Agents are a great PvP class, especially 1 vs 1. Any complaints about aimed shot are basically all true - it is an incredibly broken attack. I am not saying agents don't need love either - they have some serious problems, especially if you're yellow or less to somebody. But agents have a huge toolset, and if you think they only have one good attack, you need to pvp more.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I haven't played this game since like.. 2002. Started a soldier last night but I think I am going to switch to a fixer.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
Whatever

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 20, 2018

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Reactivated my character on RK1. Looking forward to a long haul of replacing everything I gave away when I quit the last time and finding a new org to hang out with after my last one apparently dissolved.

Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2886261&pagenumber=36#post353129409

It looks like 90% of FunCom's US support staff will be gone by Monday next week. The person quoted said that the bulk of in game help petitions came from AO so expect the in game support to drop off in quality. I really don't know how many more ways FunCom can screw the proverbial pooch on this one.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Do you have to install like 325 different patches for this game? Last time I was tooling around in AO I had to install, then I had to patch.. then patch.. then patch.. etc.. etc.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Detaer posted:

My post was referring to launch/the year or so past launch where the game was amazingly bugged. The only time it was that bad since was for about 2 hours after a major patch (when half the servers were down for some reason or other).

EDIT: Also seriously, did a trox steal your cookie or some poo poo? If you don't like the game don't post.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 5, 2008

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Detaer posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2886261&pagenumber=36#post353129409

It looks like 90% of FunCom's US support staff will be gone by Monday next week. The person quoted said that the bulk of in game help petitions came from AO so expect the in game support to drop off in quality. I really don't know how many more ways FunCom can screw the proverbial pooch on this one.

Not really, you don't have a clue what you are talking about. You're just being a douche for the sake of being a douche. Nobody cares about your stupid internet video game vendetta. Support in AO is unpaid through the guardians program. It works pretty well and there's no reason to fire someone you don't pay.

Dr. Video Games 0097
Jan 13, 2006

Drop bombs on ya~

RVWinkle posted:

Not really, you don't have a clue what you are talking about. You're just being a douche for the sake of being a douche. Nobody cares about your stupid internet video game vendetta. Support in AO is unpaid through the guardians program. It works pretty well and there's no reason to fire someone you don't pay.

That's not 100% true. I know from experience that there are paid FunCom employees in the staff IRC channels and when problems become something out of our control (happens), we were to escalate and continue to escalate until we reached someone capable of fixing it.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I'm definitely having fun being back. I hope some of you guys are around this weekend so we can do something goony and retarded!

Detaer
Oct 16, 2003

by angerbot

RVWinkle posted:

Chances are tier 1 is unpaid, and they escalate to any one of the people in US support that are now facing a 90% change of getting laid off. Yes I am a giant douche, i am fine with admitting that but funcom has a piece of poo poo track record and now their second tier support staff is going to almost completely go away. Do you think the devs who are 8 hours off from pacific time are going to be sitting at their desk at 11pm pst to answer your support request because of some loving horrible bug?

One of three things will happen; devs will have to use their time doing stupid tier 2 tickets, devs won't give a poo poo about the customers after a few months because they have deadlines that need to be met, or the volunteers will get a much larger toolset to work with and they are going to lay people off in hopes they can get people to do their support for free and that is a loving pipe dream to get quality of service out of people like that.

Laying off the support team doesn't mean you are going to be getting better support.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope this game doesn't die, but its not looking good. I rather Funcom close Age of Conan but I think they are more likely to axe Anarchy Online since AoC is their flagship title now, as bad as it is. Thankfully there is really nothing to suggest they are going to be closing either game down. But huge layoffs are a bad sign.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Detaer posted:

:downswords:

Dude, we get it. You're angry over a video game. Go make a "Anarchy Online Sucks and Raped My Mom" thread if you're that pissed off.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I have no idea who's running roflbot these days, but is there any chance we could get an IRC to game bot thing going? I'd love it if we could set up something on synirc for it, though I don't know how feasable that is with the current generation of bots.

Also the in-game support staff is in kind of bad shape right now anyways. I sent a petition yesterday at 11:00 central time, and it sat in queue with nobody in front of it for 3 hours before I got an answer from org chat and deleted it.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
(Broken links)

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 16, 2018

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

EDIT: Also, I'll probably reactivate, see how the climate is now-how is Clan doing on RK2 (Rimor)? When I left, it was so disorganized that Tara/Towers/Station wins were a once in a million occurence. I've been playing on and off since beta. If you know them, I was one of the starting members of Leet-Bloc, LSoR, and a bunch of other Rimor Clan guilds.

Sup RK2 buddy? I was in Tribulations / Alpha Omega back in the day. When I quit Clan held Tara and pretty much every tower site on the map but that was a couple of years ago now and I remember flicking to the forums in boredom some time last year and seeing Omni were back on top, with most of my org mates banned for exploiting towers or something (this seems unlikely, but hey - it's FC!)

AO is my favourite MMO ever, it's ridiculous with tons of bugs, problems and poor design decisions (Fixer's literally had no weapons capable of doing anything in Shadowlands at launch and had to wait until they added a special gun in a few patches later to fix things, relying on pity-groups until then) but it was and is brilliant. Tweaking incredibly high level items on with implant stacking and going around tower sites loving the other sides up remains one of my favourite game experiences.

Did they ever fix the side XP exploit? I remember levelling loads of alts with that back in the day.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think right after you left Clan got their rear end handed to em nice and proper-up until I quit, clan was a joke in any and every PvP setup-battlefields, Tara, towers were 99% omni owned.

I reactivated a couple days ago-so far it seems that Clan has declined even more-Athens was so empty that it actually got taken over by omni's for a good 3-4 hours. No problem finding groups so far-mostly because I still have connects at a bunch of guilds, but I think if i ended up starting off solo it would be pretty tough to get any good high-level groups going.

Didn't spend more than 5 hours in so far, so we'll see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Interested in coming back. Haven't played since 2001. I'd only be interested if the roleplay is really good

• Locked thread