Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacustes
Apr 17, 2008
Just reactivated my account with the free 30-day offer. If there are any goons on Rimor up for missions or anything like that in the low-mid level range stuff, I'd be happy to play :)

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
How long do the patches take to download? It seems slow and also doesn't show me a progress bar for the total patching.

Edit: How prevalent is twinking. Is it easy to do or a lot of restrictions? I can't remember from 7 years ago. Thanks!

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 8, 2008

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Hashal posted:

How long do the patches take to download? It seems slow and also doesn't show me a progress bar for the total patching.

Edit: How prevalent is twinking. Is it easy to do or a lot of restrictions? I can't remember from 7 years ago. Thanks!

Patches take a while because there are a billion of them, but it generally goes pretty fast per patch at least.

Twinking is everywhere. You can get away without doing much, but you'll probably wind up doing a bit whether you like it or not since it's a pretty important part of the game. It's also where a fair bit of the fun comes from, since it's always awesome getting stuff equipped that you obviously weren't intended to equip at your level or as your class. At high levels there's a fair bit of stuff that you actually need to twink on though, like the new doctor pistols which are impossible to equip below 220 due to the high multi-ranged requirement unless you do a shitload of twinking.

draygous
Oct 12, 2002
Insert Random Custom Title Here
So... does any of the old goonsquad still play? By old I mean from a good 2-3 years ago?

I've been tossing around the idea of resubbing... I bet I still have a few hundred mil credits on my account.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

draygous posted:

So... does any of the old goonsquad still play? By old I mean from a good 2-3 years ago?

I've been tossing around the idea of resubbing... I bet I still have a few hundred mil credits on my account.

I'm playing after just reactivating. I saw Dopesnake around the other day too, he used to be Trashbear but sold the char. I don't think anyone else from back then has been around though.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
I'm still around once in a blue moon, but very rarely these days. That and I made the switch over to being a dirty, dirty clanner after the whole GoonCorp/Synergy merger.

draygous
Oct 12, 2002

Vidmaster posted:

I'm playing after just reactivating. I saw Dopesnake around the other day too, he used to be Trashbear but sold the char. I don't think anyone else from back then has been around though.

Has tash, matick, etc... been back? Or that other fixer... coldbird or something?

I wouldn't mind a bit of nostalgia but I'd have to pay money to resub. Also is it still all about grinding hecklers and doing pen missions? Because if so, this game can go straight to hell.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
What is the best class to twink with?

draygous
Oct 12, 2002

Hashal posted:

Unless things have changed drastically since I've played, class doesn't matter as much as race. If by "twink" you mean get into equipment higher than your level, it would depend on the stats required by the gear you're trying to get in to. For example; an Opifex Fixer would be able to twink into gear more easily than an Atrox, since Fixer gear generally requires stats boosted by agility.

But the difference isn't much if you really know your implants and other stat boosting equipment. And sometimes certain race/class combinations are chosen for pvp, or the desire to use a certain weapon type.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Hashal posted:

Traders are pretty much the end-all, be-all of twinking, but I REALLY don't recommend them as your first character - To play one effectively, they really require a deep knowledge of the game's skill mechanics, and they can be a bit of a bitch to work out when you first start playing.

That said, though, there are videos of level 1 Traders taking on bosses that usually require a full team to kill, so... yeah. Traders can get retarded. They're insanely powerful at low-to-mid levels, get a bit weaker in the later game, and then go back to being good PvP characters past level 200.

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Alright im making a new character tonight, haven't played in years and my old account is dead. Do we have a clan or a vent or forum or anything? A list of who is actually playing in the OP would be rad.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

draygous posted:

Has tash, matick, etc... been back? Or that other fixer... coldbird or something?

I wouldn't mind a bit of nostalgia but I'd have to pay money to resub. Also is it still all about grinding hecklers and doing pen missions? Because if so, this game can go straight to hell.

I haven't seen any of them, unfortunately. Also the endgame grind is now about doing inferno missions and is actually about 500 times better than when you left since the XP rewards from the missions are huge. My doctor is 3/4 of the way to 220, and rather than having 18 more hours of hecklering to go, it'll probably take me 2-3 hours tops.

Psionic Sasquatch posted:

Alright im making a new character tonight, haven't played in years and my old account is dead. Do we have a clan or a vent or forum or anything? A list of who is actually playing in the OP would be rad.

Join RK1 and choose Omni-Tek, then you can join GoonCorp.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 16, 2018

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Captain Schlork posted:

I'd start up a Clan side goon org, but I'm pretty solidly tied to Digital Alliance with both my active characters. This is why I was suggesting a goon chatbot so we could talk ingame and arrange fun stuff regardless of org or faction. Though I got no idea how to get a bot like that running.

Considering that there are like 8 goons that play, it would be retarded to split them up by starting a clan org. It was already tried about a year and a half ago anyways, and it failed miserably then because all the established goon players are omni and the goon city is omni.

Also you can join the goon chatbot regardless of side. Do "/tell roflbot !join" and join the private channel. You can use !online to see who else is around, and !help to get a list of other useful commands.

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Thanks guys, I'll be in game tonight once i finish installing. I can probably bring a few players with me too. Im just bored as hell with everything that's currently out and figured I'd give AO another (free) chance.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Psionic Sasquatch posted:

Thanks guys, I'll be in game tonight once i finish installing. I can probably bring a few players with me too. Im just bored as hell with everything that's currently out and figured I'd give AO another (free) chance.

Cool, look forward to seeing you there. I will probably be around as Irole, Dongfrenzy, or Vidmaster. If there are a few others around maybe we can put together a team for something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This game was pretty fun back in the day. I don't know if I'd ever play it again before the graphical update, but I had a good time with it and bad launch aside, when I played it there weren't very many bugs.

Of note, for the most part, the classes they call "hard" aren't really that bad. Especially the metaphysicist -- at least when I played, he had a combat pet, a healing pet, and a crowd control pet all at once, and a lot of the missions for me were just "follow pets around, make sure pets' buffs are up, watch my balls bounce all over everything."

I also played an enforcer and a martial artist, which were both super easy, and a bureaucrat, which is a bit more difficult but has a ton of crowd control. And you get to charm enemies and make them kill their friends for you, that's fun. :)

Vidmaster posted:

Twinking is everywhere. You can get away without doing much, but you'll probably wind up doing a bit whether you like it or not since it's a pretty important part of the game. It's also where a fair bit of the fun comes from, since it's always awesome getting stuff equipped that you obviously weren't intended to equip at your level or as your class. At high levels there's a fair bit of stuff that you actually need to twink on though, like the new doctor pistols which are impossible to equip below 220 due to the high multi-ranged requirement unless you do a shitload of twinking.

That was the part of the game I liked the least, really. "If I can get these 7 buffs I can jam this implant in and then I'll have enough to get this OTHER implant in and then I'll have enough to remove my foot implant and get this other implant on and if I can accomplish all that before my buffs run out then I can upgrade to my next level of skills." The sad thing is that the game seems to be balanced where it assumes you are going to go through all that twinking.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I plan on hitting 220 with my doctor this weekend, so if anyone would like to tag along and watch me get banned after the "Dongfrenzy has reached enlightenment" message gets broadcast to the server you should come hang out on Saturday afternoon!

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vidmaster posted:

I plan on hitting 220 with my doctor this weekend, so if anyone would like to tag along and watch me get banned after the "Dongfrenzy has reached enlightenment" message gets broadcast to the server you should come hang out on Saturday afternoon!

Why are you getting banned?

Also, what server/side?

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Naturally Selected posted:

Also, what server/side?

Dongfrenzy. Dongfrenzy

Oh, and would a crat work decent starting out?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dreissi posted:

Dongfrenzy. Dongfrenzy

Oh, and would a crat work decent starting out?

DURR. Uhm mis-read that part. I don't think he's gonna get banned.

Also, Crats seem pretty okay-i'd suggest an advy/enforcer/soldier to start though, easier to play till you get accustomed, IMHO.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Melee Advens are basically easy mode, as far as I can recall.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I may play this again. I think my character is a level 40 something with a Desolator (I think it's called. I haven't played in a long while) and about a million creds from an old friend who was addicted to it. Trox enforcer by the way

This is the desolator. http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=204755

I got tired of grinding so I stopped

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Naturally Selected posted:

Also, what server/side?

RK1, Omni-Tek. I'm not actually going to get banned, but I'll probably get a few "how'd that name slip through?" tells. Fortunately I've had my character named Don "dongfrenzy" Giovanni for over a year, so I can use the excuse that it's DonGFrenzy because I am crazy about Don Giovanni or something. At this point in the game's life I doubt anyone cares though.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Downloading the client right now. I played waaaaay back in 2002/3 for a couple months when Notum Wars first came out.. Gonna give it another shot for something to do on my free time. We'll see how it goes this time around.

edit: Stopped playing after a couple hours. good lord is the interface way worse than i remembered. plus the beginner quests in shadowland were so god damned tedious i quit.

and why the gently caress does the mapping/waypoint system not work at _all_? I'll be standing right next to a guy im supposed to talk to next for am ission, hit 'upload to map' and it'll tell me i'm not in the area, will be notified when i get there, and i'm standing _right on top of it_.

Harumph. Back to no MMORPG for me.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 14, 2008

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Shadowlands is an amazingly atmospheric expansion, I still boggle a little bit at how nice the environments look. It's just a drat shame that most of this environment is completely unused. You could probably chop about half of the Shadowlands out and nobody would notice.

Hollywood
Mar 13, 2006

Master of the obvious avatar.
So what's the new thing in leveling? Is SL soloing viable? Missions still?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Man there were so many things about AO that I loved, but I just can't stomach all the twinking in this game again. I played a fixer way back in the day, and I remember getting all sorts of poo poo because I only had HoTs that were like... ten levels above me, not twenty. Hurrrr.

Last time I played I couldn't get past the graphics/controls. They're way worse than I remember. Graphics I can let slide, but god the controls were sluggish and impossible to use.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
That was what really made me sad about Shadowlands. All that wonderful, pretty territory to shoot things in, and they made THE targets in game you had to shoot at to progress the same mobs that gave the best loot & XP.

On the crumbling fringes of the universe.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kedo posted:

Man there were so many things about AO that I loved, but I just can't stomach all the twinking in this game again. I played a fixer way back in the day, and I remember getting all sorts of poo poo because I only had HoTs that were like... ten levels above me, not twenty. Hurrrr.

Last time I played I couldn't get past the graphics/controls. They're way worse than I remember. Graphics I can let slide, but god the controls were sluggish and impossible to use.

That's what I'm running into right now. I love the community (took me 30 mins to get back into my old org and it's fun to see the same faces again), but godDAMN gently caress TWINKING. Even though I have the best twinker in the game helping me, it's still just a royal pain in the rear end. Having to run all around RK to get the pieces I need (why can't GMS just deliver poo poo to you :argh: ). Solo content is still pretty much not there-unless you're talking an s10 twink/220 keeper or shade, there's really very little to do for any meaningful gain. My main can solo alba, but meh-45 minutes of kiting isn't my cup of tea.

\/\/\/\/\/ Yeah, heckler grind pretty much killed off the rest of the game :( Past level 60-ish you don't see anything but hecklers until 200+, then nothing but inf mishes, unless you actually take the time and explore.

I'm about to start putting together yalm/protected tours just so people realize there's more out there. It's too bad that the best XP is only out in SL fringes though.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 14, 2008

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I played this game from about launch up until about last year. It soaked up so much of my life, but I wouldn't change a thing. It is without a doubt the most fun I've ever had with a video game. To be honest though, it has definitely lost a lot of its appeal.

It was fun in the beginning because there was so much mystery to the whole game. People would level ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE on Rubi-ka, the community was great, and the gameplay was fun. NW made the game amazingly fun. I remember every friday night going in-game to a huge party at Reet Retreat where everyone would dance in-game while listening to a live DJ steaming.

Pretty much after Shadowlands came out, the game started losing its fun. Shadowlands basically made it so that EVERYONE leveled on hecklers, because you were dumb to ignore that much XP. So all the other leveling spots became abandoned. It was also about this time that I feel like nobody bothered with exploration and just admiring the game, but rather just grinded hecklers until the max level just to PvP. I used to get home from school and play this for HOURS doing whatever the hell I could think of, exploring the whole map. There are literally THOUSANDS of amazing little things hidden around Rubi-ka that I bet 90% of the current playerbase has never seen. I'll miss SW mines, NW mines, 8x8, VBs, Smuggler's Run, etc..

Sorry to get all 'in my day' on you guys. The game is still plenty fun and I very much encourage all you newcomers to try the game out. But don't play it just to level fast, play it and enjoy it, it's one of the best MMORPGS ever created in my opinion.

EDIT: To those who are new, and to those who came in after Shadowlands, I suggest one thing to you: some time in your playing career, please just get in a Yalmaha and fly around through every zone. There is so much atmosphere to appreciate, so many little towns to see, it really is the BEST Sci-fi MMORPG there is.

ten_twentyfour fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 14, 2008

Otacustes
Apr 17, 2008
I recently made an adventurer, and for the life of me, I can't get his first and last names to go through the queue (is the even a queue?). I never get a notice that it's been rejected, but at the same time, it's been just about a day, and I'm still just plain old me. It's never taken this long, what's the deal FC? :(

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ten_twentyfour posted:

I'll miss SW mines, NW mines, 8x8, VBs, Smuggler's Run, etc..

Man, I went out to 8x8 and VB a while back, last time I played. Some chucklehead had tinkered with the spawns, making them about a zillion times more dangerous than they had been before at the level that folks would run them at.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

ten_twentyfour posted:

Sorry to get all 'in my day' on you guys. The game is still plenty fun and I very much encourage all you newcomers to try the game out. But don't play it just to level fast, play it and enjoy it, it's one of the best MMORPGS ever created in my opinion.

EDIT: To those who are new, and to those who came in after Shadowlands, I suggest one thing to you: some time in your playing career, please just get in a Yalmaha and fly around through every zone. There is so much atmosphere to appreciate, so many little towns to see, it really is the BEST Sci-fi MMORPG there is.

This. A million times this. Even though there were some incredibly stupid things back then (remember casting a million individual buffs on yourself at the beginning of the mission and having re-buff timeouts every few floors because everything dropped off in the days before composites?) or when the Temple north of Tir was added with it's ridiculously good new loot so everyone started running around in robes.

Memorising a huge sequence of whompahs to get to whatever zone had just gone up in smoke or running Foreman's, Smugglers' or SoM. AO did a lot of stuff wrong but I think it was by far the most atmospheric and absorbing MMO in a way that the current generation really haven't hit. Shadowland's broke it a little bit but aside from the Hecklers and the stupid insane base armour values of monsters the zones were brilliant and as interesting as the early stuff.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Just wandering around the world really is one of the best parts of AO. The shadowlands have a lot of really cool stuff too, especially in elysium and scheol. Really to get the most out of the game you need to go off the beaten path and just explore rather than just grinding all the time.

Also I finally got my doctor to 220 after years of playing this game! :toot:

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Redownloading the client now. I was in Syncorp a long time ago as Dyssphoria with my Adventurer. Definitely the most fun I've ever had with an MMO. I resubbed with the $5/month Shadowlands thing. Playing with Vidmaster and the guys was awesome. I'll create a character on RK1. Who do I message for invite into Gooncorp?

Also, I've never played in SL before. Would anyone be willing to come along and show me the ropes?

Edit: In as Dyssphoria. Started on Rubi-Ka. I can still get to Shadowlands right?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

tristram.mp3 posted:

Redownloading the client now. I was in Syncorp a long time ago as Dyssphoria with my Adventurer. Definitely the most fun I've ever had with an MMO. I resubbed with the $5/month Shadowlands thing. Playing with Vidmaster and the guys was awesome. I'll create a character on RK1. Who do I message for invite into Gooncorp?

Also, I've never played in SL before. Would anyone be willing to come along and show me the ropes?

Edit: In as Dyssphoria. Started on Rubi-Ka. I can still get to Shadowlands right?

I can show you around the shadowlands later. In the meantime, if you want to get there just go to rome green and use the Jobe whompa on the middle of the east wall, or else go to borealis and use the one in the NE corner. From there, use the harbor teleporter and head into the really tall door there, you can get into nasence from there.

For getting into Gooncorp, just do /tell roflbot !join and ask for someone to invite you there. If nobody's around I'll be around this evening for invites.

• Locked thread