Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Ra posted:

Oh dear god, the learning curve! I made some stims, but for some reason cant use them, even though i have all the skill prerequisites. I just tried to go into nascence to level, but everything gangs up on me. Oh god this game is overwhelming.

Also I cant seem to access the roflbot chat channel. Ive tried /ch and /join, but those dont work =(.

When you shift-click the item does it say "Must be on Rubi Ka" anywhere in the description? I took a Soldier into the Shadowlands content and was caught off guard by that.

Now for my own questions:
How do you avoid an IP drought? I just hit like level 10 with an Enforcer, but for the last two or three levels it has been hard to keep skills maxed that I need to keep maxed. This last level I couldn't do it at all. Also, is my strategy upon going to Rome to grab the Med Suit like I did with a Soldier, or is it entirely different? And why do they make a class that relies on nano pretty heavily so expensive to level up nano skills?

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Ra posted:

Oh dear god, the learning curve! I made some stims, but for some reason cant use them, even though i have all the skill prerequisites. I just tried to go into nascence to level, but everything gangs up on me. Oh god this game is overwhelming.

Also I cant seem to access the roflbot chat channel. Ive tried /ch and /join, but those dont work =(.

Are you trying to use the stims you made in rubi-ka in the shadowlands? because you need special SL stims that you can only get from vendors or have drop from mobs/chests.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
So i just gave AO another try and i'm kinda confused about how i should create my character. I only had an engineer back in the day that i grinded to 80. I was thinking of giving the Fixer a try. Are they good for pvp and are there any advantages of playing Opifex over Solitus?

And what goon guilds are open for joining? I didnt bother reading most posts in here :effort:

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Triggsz posted:

So i just gave AO another try and i'm kinda confused about how i should create my character. I only had an engineer back in the day that i grinded to 80. I was thinking of giving the Fixer a try. Are they good for pvp and are there any advantages of playing Opifex over Solitus?

And what goon guilds are open for joining? I didnt bother reading most posts in here :effort:

They are probably the worst PVP class at the moment and Opifex will have an easier time twinking into fixery armors like Predator.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Since when did Fixer become poo poo in PvP? Did they nerf Dance of Fools?

They were the AddAllDef kings in the era I played.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Hm, i'm playing for free so i dunno what gear restrictions i'll have, and i might not even reach maxlevel, but who knows. Any other classes that are good for pvp? Or just decent all-around (soldier, martial artist, enforcer or even an engineer again seems intresting). I guess i should really play an adventurer as they seem like the noobclass but i'm kinda pushed away from the fantasy-approach really. I'll try a fixer until i get a reply here.

Last time i played somewhere between 2003-2005 i got approached by a 116-ish atrox enforcer when i was a lvl5 or so engi, and had just arrived at the omni apartments. He offered to help me and continued to show me the leveling-grounds all the way up to 80. He welcomed me to his guild during this time and we farmed TOTW until i got that black robe, and later on gave me tankarmor and everything. So i was kinda spoiled on my first run and have since forgotten alot of what i learned :eng99:. Good memories anyway.

Also how do i contact GoonCorp?

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 16, 2018

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Gearhead posted:

Since when did Fixer become poo poo in PvP? Did they nerf Dance of Fools?

They were the AddAllDef kings in the era I played.

AAD doesn't do anything against NT nukes that kill you in 1 hit. Also, people have MUCH, MUCH more weaponskill now. Everyone who PVPs has Ofab or Combined Alien armor which hugely increase your attack rating. Almost everyone has Aimed shot maxed out as well and use an AS weapon at least on their offhand. AS ignored AAD and hits for 14k damage. Roots and snares don't really work in PVP, so fixers are pushed to "light soldier" duty where they don't do very well because SMGs have relatively poor damage. Most end game fixers use the Hawk mk.5 because it has FA and then an offhand AS shotgun, so they can at least alpha strike and maybe kill someone every now and then.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Speeddub posted:

Maybe this is the wrong thread but there's something weird going on here and maybe you guys can help me.

I've never played Anarchy Online. Ever. Never even had any interest in paying it.

Today I got an overdraft statement from my bank, I haven't touched the account in 2-3 months so I was wondering what was going on. I saw a $15 charge from Funcom, as well as a $15 charge for every month for the past 6+ months. I figured they hosed something up with the Age of Conan account I canceled two days after buying the game and checked their site. Apparently the only subscription I have active is to Anarchy Online, which I have never loving played once and find it unacceptable that they have charged me all of this money for no reason (I know, it's my fault for not paying closer attention to my checking account).

Did they provide a free anarchy online account with Age of Conan or something? I'm looking for some way I can dispute this, because with the overdraft fee they just charged, I'm down about $200 total from a subscription for a game I never knew I had or played at all.

edit: their site also said I had no payment option set, but it was pulling straight from my checking account.

That sucks and is pretty strange. You should probably email Funcom's customer support and ask about it because it's pretty bizzare. If you don't have an account or have never logged in then they should be able to refund you. Otherwise if your AoC account didn't have a very secure password or if someone else knew about it then they might have used your account to set up their own AO account using your payment info. Hope you get it resolved!

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Captain Schlork posted:

GoonCorp on RK1, Omni side.

Fixers can rock TL3 PVP if you can get hold of Grid Armor 4 and be able to actually cast it. I think it costs around 120mil on the markets now. Otherwise it takes a crapton of effort and credits to twink a good PVP fixer and you should really only start a project like that after leveling at least one char to 220, so you can fund new ones properly. PvE is of course a different matter and you can get away with a lot less sweat and blood to manage decently.

Fixers are sense/agi based so Opifex is the best choice since you get into slightly better gear earlier on. Solitus and Trox are still both perfectly viable options.

e: besides, we look loving badass.

Click here for the full 622x764 image.

Fixers also run at like warp 9 and still suffer from tight IP, but it isn't as bad as a class like Soldier. I actually hit title level 1 caps on three or four skills.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

The fixer grid is also amazingly cool. I keep trying to start fixers so I can use it, but I only get them up to level 25 or so before I just kind of forget about them and then delete them :(

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Nostrum posted:

AAD doesn't do anything against NT nukes that kill you in 1 hit.

Christ, I forgot about the huge, fuckoff multi hit nukes. :gibs:

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gearhead posted:

There are still NTs?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Gearhead posted:

They actually can't kill you in one hit, though they can do 2. The pvp damage cap is 30% now, so if you cap a triple you can leave someone at 10% health. Given how much health people have at higher levels, this really only works in lower level PVP or against fun classes like MPs, NTs, and crats. What I usually do if I'm using the triples is hit them with a normal nuke first to take away a little bit of health, then one triple will kill someone if they're squishy. Blinds and roots also rock, and calming/rooting pets is a blast too. There are a few other fun nanos, like one that lowers nanoskills by 115 points for 30 seconds and a couple with stun procs, plus the AI DOT line. I still get decimated by soldiers, enfs, and advys with high root resist, but overall NT is a ton of fun for pvp.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I can't stop trying out all the classes. So far I've messed with a Soldier, a Fixer, a Keeper and an Enforcer. Now I'm thinking about toying around with a Nano Tech.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I didn't mind NTs being gimped as hell as much as I did "nano fatigue" from endless nano casting. It was a relief to go back to something with a gun, or an MA. And of course there were all those times I wound up a big nano and zapped myself with it. :(

You can't shoot yourself accidentally; you shouldn't be able to target yourself with a hostile nano.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't mind NTs being gimped as hell as much as I did "nano fatigue" from endless nano casting. It was a relief to go back to something with a gun, or an MA. And of course there were all those times I wound up a big nano and zapped myself with it. :(

You can't shoot yourself accidentally; you shouldn't be able to target yourself with a hostile nano.

There's nothing better than accidentally rooting yourself and getting killed because of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I can remember a few times in the Temple where a pull went bad and I got a nice fat nano ready and saw my guy raise his hands in the air like he was buffing himself and I thought "Oh poo poo" and sure enough I "buffed" myself with death ensuring a wipe.

I feel like I did this with my doc but it's been a while so I can't recall if docs can dot themselves like NTs.

Ra
Mar 14, 2006
That spoon is mine.
Kudos all around. Everyone in roflbot is very nice, and im having a good time playing with my engineer, although i often wish i had more survivability. When my robot dies, i feel like im screwed. Perhaps its time to get myself some new armor.

I feel like im getting the hang of the game. I know where to get my nano crystals and how to make basic items, but theres still SO MUCH CONTENT. Also, ive pumped a lot of points into tradeskilling, but whenever i make a healing kit or stim, it ends up not being usable in the shadowlands. Is there a list somewhere of items that can or cannot be used in the shadowlands? Does this only apply to health kits and stims? Why the hell is this restriction even there in the first place?

I really wish there was some definitive source of information. Ive found a lot of guides, but most of them are very old, and its hard to find good tradeskilling guides. But im having fun, and thats what counts. See you all in roflbot!

dxpong
Sep 19, 2004
10/6
Time to unwrap my Fixer. I can faintly recall collecting tokens for some uber armor in the Shadowlands, killing hecklers, and the founding of Gooncorp city with AI.

edit: I am now solving the mysteries of my own past.

dxpong fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 31, 2008

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Dick Trauma posted:

I feel like I did this with my doc but it's been a while so I can't recall if docs can dot themselves like NTs.

Yes.

Yes they can.

They can also do fun things like UBT themselves.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ra posted:

Also, ive pumped a lot of points into tradeskilling, but whenever i make a healing kit or stim, it ends up not being usable in the shadowlands.

Tir School of Engineering might still be a good tradeskilling guide but what I learned with my engie is that at low levels it's just not worth it. I tried making my own armor, working on my engie pistol but in the end it just sucked points away from the skills I was going to need to get into a bigger and better bot, and to tune it up nice.

I did like using that engie gun but once I found a redline grenade launcher there was no turning back. There's nothing like having a gun that is so loud that other players have to constantly ask what the hell you're using. :)

P.S. There's also http://www.jexai.co.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Rubi-Ka and my all time favorite, Anarchy Arcanum which lives on in archived form.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Tir School of Engineering might still be a good tradeskilling guide but what I learned with my engie is that at low levels it's just not worth it. I tried making my own armor, working on my engie pistol but in the end it just sucked points away from the skills I was going to need to get into a bigger and better bot, and to tune it up nice.

I played an engi till 120 or so, even if you donīt intend to get into tradeskills on him, raising mech engineering and electrical engineering is a must in order to use the aggro trimmers, which are essential for soloing, lest your bot be incapable of tanking a mob. The upside is both these skills are green for engis so itīs not much of an IP sink (you will however also need chemistry to actually build the trimmers iirc).

Spudman
Feb 5, 2004

Post nudes plz
Don't worry, it's perfectly rational!
My character's name on RK1 (Atlantean) is Nahelem, a 140 MP. I'm not in the Goonsquad presently, but I play actively and I'm always willing to help people out.

laceratedsky
Aug 29, 2007

In as Laceratedsky level 2 Fixer!

I haven't played this in years, so looking forward to getting back into it.

Troph
Aug 30, 2004
where should a 86 clan MA on a froob account go to grind xp, the highest thing I can kill is a 105 mob. I cant get anymore tokens for my title level so missions are inefficient.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Troph posted:

I cant get anymore tokens for my title level so missions are inefficient.

You can get all the tokens you want, you just can't upgrade the board yet. The tokens will still be added to your token count, though, and puts you that much more ahead of the curve whenever you reach your next title level.

Troph
Aug 30, 2004
oh well i guess its back to missions then. Another question i had was, are claws on a MA still a good build? (last time i had a MA was 2003).

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Something that keeps irritating me is how from levels 1 - 6 or so IP isn't a problem at all, but then from 7 - 14 JESUS CHRIST GOOD LUCK DOING MORE THAN UPPING A COUPLE BASE ATTRIBUTES AND TWO OR THREE SKILLS BECAUSE OH GOD 4,000 POINTS AMOUNTS TO gently caress ALL. Then you cross the title level and get 10,000 points and for like one level that's pretty awesome, but then you're right back to deciding if you want hit points or nano this level and oh hey treatment sorry can't level you because my nano skills are falling behind and I haven't bought new nanos since newbie island and that's okay I didn't want implants anyway. What the hell were they thinking?

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 16, 2018

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Captain Schlork posted:

Breedcaps at TL5+ rock. At the moment I've got 120 000 IP waiting for spending but got nothing to spend it on.

On the other hand the IP tightness makes you plan your every move carefully and judge what's most important to your class and your particular setup, and then fill in the shortcomings with buff items, perks, research and whatnot. It's hard but rewarding.

It's also ridiculously punitive to new players that are unfamiliar with the system, requires knowledge of things in advance (equipment requirements) you can't know without obsessively scouring the forums and various related sites (and who wants to do that), and rewarding is not the word I'd use for it. I think it's probably the most rear end in a top hat mechanic I've ever come across in a game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

I think it's probably the most rear end in a top hat mechanic I've ever come across in a game.

Guess that means you haven't tried making your own implants yet. :D

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
I think I'm missing something on the traveling aspect in this game. I have missions that seem very far away to run to but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to places. My skill isn't high enough for the grid and I don't get wompahs at all. Please help.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Immolat1on posted:

I think I'm missing something on the traveling aspect in this game. I have missions that seem very far away to run to but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to places. My skill isn't high enough for the grid and I don't get wompahs at all. Please help.

Unless the reward is really, really, really, really worth it just stick to running missions in the same general area you are in. It's much easier, faster, and more profitable (blitzing). Otherwise if you don't mind alt-tabbing a lot you can pull up maps in a browser.

Also, I think I have a viable not-quite-so-badly-gimped ranged Opi Adventurer. So far I've made it to level 15 and IP is tight, but I've been able to actually put points core abilities AND nanos. I had to find a guide offsite to do it though. God drat those profession guides on the AO forums are mostly retarded.

As for making my own implants: I have yet to play a tradeskill class. My Adventurer has 19 points in Nano Programming, and those are all points that trickled down. I can make like ql5 implants and that's it. That's a real bitch since half the implants for Adventurers in the basic store are useless for ranged Advies.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Tyshalob posted:

Unless the reward is really, really, really, really worth it just stick to running missions in the same general area you are in. It's much easier, faster, and more profitable (blitzing). Otherwise if you don't mind alt-tabbing a lot you can pull up maps in a browser.

Also, I think I have a viable not-quite-so-badly-gimped ranged Opi Adventurer. So far I've made it to level 15 and IP is tight, but I've been able to actually put points core abilities AND nanos. I had to find a guide offsite to do it though. God drat those profession guides on the AO forums are mostly retarded.

As for making my own implants: I have yet to play a tradeskill class. My Adventurer has 19 points in Nano Programming, and those are all points that trickled down. I can make like ql5 implants and that's it. That's a real bitch since half the implants for Adventurers in the basic store are useless for ranged Advies.

How do you tell if they are in the same city you are in?

• Locked thread