Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Immolat1on posted:

How do you tell if they are in the same city you are in?

If you're pulling missions from a terminal it will usually say in the text what playfield the mission is in (Rome Blue, Rome Green, Rome Stretch, Galway Shire, Clondyke, blah blah blah). If you're in the same area the mission is in, the location will show up as a little white x on the map and you'll have an orange square on your compass to lead you in the general direction. Sometimes you'll have to read through a bunch of fluff flavor text for missions to find the location. Some missions also don't tell you where to go at all and you have to hunt for a person all over the drat place. Avoid those. The text usually says something to the effect of "We want you to find/kill this person, but we don't know where they are." There are also missions where I think Funcom went overboard on the text and it can't display it all so it doesn't say where the mission is. I also seem to recall that if you slide the Cash/XP bar all the way over to XP you get a lot more missions in your general area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

Immolat1on posted:

How do you tell if they are in the same city you are in?

Open your planet map while you're at the mission booth. When you click on the mission, its location will pop up on the map. Match up the yellow cross-hair (your current location) with the mission, and that's it. Past level 100 you won't be able to do this anymore, as the mission is almost certainly in a different zone than the booth.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Recently joined GoonCorp with my Shade Rakisra and I am having a blast.

Not the most easy class to play for someone new to the game like me but I am enjoyig myself anyway so its all cool.

By the way am I the only Aussie in GC?

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

Sardikar posted:

Recently joined GoonCorp with my Shade Rakisra and I am having a blast.

Not the most easy class to play for someone new to the game like me but I am enjoyig myself anyway so its all cool.

By the way am I the only Aussie in GC?

I doubt it, we got guys from all over the fuckin' globe. There's a large contingent of non-goons from Sweden.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Tyshalob posted:

As for making my own implants: I have yet to play a tradeskill class. My Adventurer has 19 points in Nano Programming, and those are all points that trickled down. I can make like ql5 implants and that's it. That's a real bitch since half the implants for Adventurers in the basic store are useless for ranged Advies.

There are a few people in gooncorp who can make implants for you, at least. My NT Irole can do up to QL 250 or something, and Ringshtafang has an engineer who can make them too. In general it's just not worth doing tradeskills until you're a level 175+ engineer/trader, or are an NT/MP/Fixer/Doctor and can just focus on one tradeskill (nanoprogramming or pharmatech in those cases).

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

Vidmaster posted:

There are a few people in gooncorp who can make implants for you, at least. My NT Irole can do up to QL 250 or something, and Ringshtafang has an engineer who can make them too. In general it's just not worth doing tradeskills until you're a level 175+ engineer/trader, or are an NT/MP/Fixer/Doctor and can just focus on one tradeskill (nanoprogramming or pharmatech in those cases).

I can also do imps up to 200 for anyone who needs it. Holler at Dopesnake/Donglaser/Foodmotron if you see me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you want to pull missions you must MUST use Clicksaver. It gives you a lovely interface where you can immediately see the location and reward. As you go up in level you're going to find that the mission location is further away, so below level 10 if you're in Rome Blue most of the missions will be in one of the Romes, then they'll start branching out to Galway, etc. If you are looking for specific items (ex: Concrete cushions) you can put that into Clicksaver, tell it how many times you want it to pull missions (ex: 50) and then it will try 50 times to find a mission that meets your criteria. Early on I make a nice list of the stuff I want (ex: med suit, buffing INT pistols, etc.) and then let Clicksaver roll a bunch of missions until I get the things I need.

As for Whompas there are some wonderful maps you can add to AO that show you how the transport system works, including the Grid. Each class has a basic set of stats to boost but for all classes Comp Literacy is important because it not only allows you to use better NCU storage (to run more buffs at one time) but gives you increased access to the grid.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 16, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Rolling for these basic items has just become part of my usual alt routine. I never made a truly rich character so alts tend to pay their way by rolling the basics, and then doing a little blitzing until the missions start to get too far away.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I've managed to stick with an Opifex martial artist for more than five minutes (this is a serious feat). I hit level 14 screwing around in the Subway and then set 100% of my XP gained for research. Finished three (I think) level one researches down there. Managed to just barely squeeze into some ql30 implants at like level 11 or 12. Right now I can take my MA into the deeper Subway area and solo up to 3 red mobs at a time without too much trouble.

So now I'm wondering about things like armor. I've been wearing an Omni-Tek Med Suit since leaving Newbie Island except for the boots. I managed to get a pair of Boots of Infinite Speed that I've read are a rare drop. How soon should I get out of the Med Suit? I've been thinking about a full set of Carbonum armor, but I'm not sure as to what quality level is even worth bothering to try to get into. Are there any decent SEN/AGI based armors for MAs?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
When you want to see what is available in the database, and I mean anything in the database at all, it's always a good idea to take a gander over at http://auno.org/

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Tyshalob posted:

I've managed to stick with an Opifex martial artist for more than five minutes (this is a serious feat). I hit level 14 screwing around in the Subway and then set 100% of my XP gained for research. Finished three (I think) level one researches down there. Managed to just barely squeeze into some ql30 implants at like level 11 or 12. Right now I can take my MA into the deeper Subway area and solo up to 3 red mobs at a time without too much trouble.

So now I'm wondering about things like armor. I've been wearing an Omni-Tek Med Suit since leaving Newbie Island except for the boots. I managed to get a pair of Boots of Infinite Speed that I've read are a rare drop. How soon should I get out of the Med Suit? I've been thinking about a full set of Carbonum armor, but I'm not sure as to what quality level is even worth bothering to try to get into. Are there any decent SEN/AGI based armors for MAs?

Med-suit is fine until like level 30, at least. Some keep them on into the 50/60 range. Then carb is probably one of the easier things to get thrown together. If you're omni, get some omnifiers as well, because that'll give the stuff a HP boost.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Omnifying your carb isn't really useful at all until you're in QL 100-200 carb, otherwise it costs you a shitload of extra money and you only get an extra 50 hp or something from it.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
(Broken link)

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 16, 2018

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend
Every time I see a screenshot of this game I feel like re-activating one of my 5 accounts! About a year ago I got my Fixer to 220 and all of a sudden I stopped playing.

I know they patched in the instanced zones recently and I wonder how well that is working now. It seemed to me that smaller Orgs would be able to do those end game content on their own. Maybe I should check that out...

Tiako44
Dec 29, 2008
I was thinking about getting back into this. Many Goons still play?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Tiako44 posted:

I was thinking about getting back into this. Many Goons still play?

Not a ton, but there are a few of us at least.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

There is a major update coming out thursday, which I assume is major because you have to pay for it and it has a name "Legacy of the Xan", despite not being marketed at all.

account page posted:

[ Product Info ]
Legacy of the Xan introduces hours of more content for all experienced Anarchy Online players. Discover the secrets of the mysterious Xan civilization as you progress through hundreds of new missions, and explore all new adventure areas on planet Rubi-Ka! Tons of new items, powers and artifacts are there for the taking - will you chase them?

* Explore two enormous new adventure areas, and discover a new central hub - the hidden-away city of the Xan civilization!
* Throw yourself into two new team instanced encounters, and face the challenges of a final twelve player raid encounter!
* Progress through hundreds of new solo and team missions and seek to uncover the truth in the complex Dust Brigade and Alien Invasion storylines!
* New powerful symbiants, spirits, and deck items - enabling you to boost your character to new heights!

some dev posted:

Q - I'm really looking forward to the playfields but will they require the same amount of organisation (regarding gathering people) as the DB quests and instances?

A great deal of the new content is made for solo style play. It will not be necessary to organise teams for the majority of the missions. That being said there are two new team instances and a final raid instance that will definitely provide challenge for group play.

Q - How much will the booster will cost?

There are a three different price options for the booster, based around the idea of rewarding long term subscription players for their loyalty and support through the paid points system.

19.99 USD / 19.99 EURO
OR
14.99 USD / 14.99 EURO + 500 Paid Points
OR
9.99 USD / 9.99 EURO + 1000 Paid Points

Q - Will we be able to order the booster pack early & if so, will there be a 'reward' for doing so?

A pre-order is currently being organised and I hope to see it out inside the next week. Players who pre-order will receive the new social Hoverchair. Useable anywhere, comfortable and stylish at any social occasion. I want one for the office.

(links to renders of the Hoverchair are at the bottom of this post!)

Q - Why is this content coming out as a 'booster' & not as a normal 'update'?

This booster is significantly larger...much much larger than any normal update. The resources spent on producing this booster were significant..significant beyond what we can safely produce as a business for free. At the end of the day I have to be able to afford the amazing talents of talented coders like Enno and Macrosun to make us the new engine/features we have all been waiting for. The previous 8 significant updates made to the game have been free... we'll try to keep up that pace and pricing as long as we can. There are elements of 18.0 that will be free for all users...ie: pvp toolset updates for many professions.

Q - What can avid PVPers expect from 18.0?

PVP toolset updates and powerfull Xan Artifacts will spice up pvp in 18.0.

These are some of the basics we are working to implement in 18.0 (Available for purchase from Ofab Vendors, NOT dependant on purchase of the booster.)

Martial Artist - Single Target Fears
Engineer - AOE Knockback Mines
Fixer - Fear Immunity - NCU Cleanser
Agent - FP other's nanos
Trader - Single Target Shotgun Knockback
Crat - AOE Fears
Enforcer - Knockback Stun and Single Target Fears
Doctor - Fear Removal from Friendly Targets
Nanotech - AOE Knockback
Keeper - Fear Immunity Aura

Q - Will all the new instances/playfields and its loot be requiring to have the booster pack to enter/use?

You will need the booster to access the content of this booster.

Q - Combined Combined Combined Combined?

Not in the booster, not in a future patch. No No No. The last thing we need is more overpowered armor. Alien armor was originally concepted as something players would have one or two pieces of. The original designer of these items did not understand you guys at all.

Q - So are shades finally getting QL 280-300 Spirits?

Yes.

I was planning on reactivating anyway but this gives me pretty good reason to.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
:drat:

I look at this and I just boggle. Seriously.

I wonder if this means we'll finally get some plain effing English on exactly what's up with the Aliens and the Xan and the rest.

But.. is this new set of zones going to be in Shadowlands or on Rubi-Ka?

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend
This booster is just like a small expansion and much bigger than a regular content upgrade. It actually comes out on Feb 19th and you can pre-order now to get a Hover Chair as a bonus.

The new missions and content will probably be in Rubi-Ka, just like the rest of the Alien Invasion content.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It'd be really, really interesting to see a Xan city on RK itself, instead of these crazy divergent places built by the Redeemed and Unredeemed.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I'll tell you what wont ever be fixed or improved, Agent false professions. :(
:colbert:

Everyone here seems to know what these are but I can't find a definitive list anywhere other than that there will be better MP healpets and NCU expanding buffs. Anyone know where to find out?

Shy Farting Man
Apr 12, 2003
Im real close to reactivating my 142 Doctor.. I use to have so much fun with her. She has like 1100 nano initiatives so she can instant cast every spell practically, I just hated killing the same drat mobs in shadowlands over and over.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

quote:

19.99 USD + 1 FunCom = 19.99 EURO

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007
If anyone needs help at all on RK1, feel free to send a tell to me. If I am offline I will get back to you. Been playing for 4 years now.

Character info (90% of the time I play on this toon): http://auno.org/ao/char.php?dimension=1&name=Aberroyc

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

How much power creep/inflation has there been since Alien Invasion came out? I had a 220 with all the raid gear at the time + several high level sets of those shadowlands implants that I have forgotten the name of and about 3-4 Billion credits(I was the first person to discover how to get the 9% Crit scopes for like a year) But if everything has been replaced by some common bullshit that drops like candy I won't bother reactivating that account. Also does everyone spend 24/7 grinding hecklers still? Because goddamn that was awful.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

socialsecurity posted:

How much power creep/inflation has there been since Alien Invasion came out? I had a 220 with all the raid gear at the time + several high level sets of those shadowlands implants that I have forgotten the name of and about 3-4 Billion credits(I was the first person to discover how to get the 9% Crit scopes for like a year) But if everything has been replaced by some common bullshit that drops like candy I won't bother reactivating that account. Also does everyone spend 24/7 grinding hecklers still? Because goddamn that was awful.

Haha, don't bother reactivating. AI stuff kicks rear end.

I'm almost tempted to reactivate my old fixer Danashan.

Almost.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
This game. Just. This game. Resubbed, Ofiuco the gimp NT rides again. One of these days I'll get past lv 60.

Speaking of, let me see.. I think I have all my relevant nanos. My implants are (naturally) a little out of date. Broke as hell (as always) in QL 72 Carb and an AI leveling nanohood.

What should I, reasonably, be doing now? Stations for Ofab or just put my shoulder down and find some more teams to blow up rocks?

(Oh god, I can't remember how to check perks and research all of a sudden. :gonk:)

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 16, 2018

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I don't generally mind blowing up angry rocks, especially if someone else is taking the abuse of them for me since NT = Squishy. It's been a long, long time since I got a character over 100, and parties with NTs do things differently from how parties without them do things.

But how well does an NT seriously do trying to solo anything in a dungeon?

I've never had much success.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
http://www.anarchy-online.com/Xan/
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/10/feature/2703/Legacy-of-Xan-Interview.html
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/10/view/videos/play/1359/Anarchy-Online-Legacy-of-Xan-booster-Video.html

Looks like the media blitz for the new booster is getting cranked up. Good to see FC still putting effort into the old bird - Once the new graphics engine gets out the door I may start playing again myself.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Looks like the graphics update is NOT parallel to LoX, just putting that out there.

I imagine redoing the entire game environment in a new engine can't be easy.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Gearhead posted:

I don't generally mind blowing up angry rocks, especially if someone else is taking the abuse of them for me since NT = Squishy. It's been a long, long time since I got a character over 100, and parties with NTs do things differently from how parties without them do things.

But how well does an NT seriously do trying to solo anything in a dungeon?

I've never had much success.

My NT does pretty well, you just need to go slow and careful. You need to abuse the crap out of roots and blinds, and use fast nukes. The deck nukes are expensive to cast, but have a 1s cooldown for the most part, making them your fastest attacks, short of a few low level nanos that have around .8s (but do lovely damage). Root, back up, nuke, re-root, use your absorb shields, and pop nullity sphere if you get more than one mob on you. It's all about using all your available tools.

I'm looking forward to the xan expansion, definitely going to pick that one up.

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend
I pre-ordered the expansion at that discounted price because I had a bunch of those paid points in my account that I never used. I did not re-subscribe yet, but I will do so in a month.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn I missed this game. Re-subbed my main account but the problem is that my decent characters are all on RK2. How long would it take to get a Fixer up to speed? I remember grinding a ton with him just to get him to level 101 and get those drat personal/team grid hacks to fulfill my little cyberpunk fantasies.

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend
If you know what you are doing or have someone to help/fund you initially with some nice over-equipped gear, you can level really fast.

I remember that I used to start alts where I had all the equipment I would need up to level 100 or so ready to go and getting those 100 levels in a matter of a few days of playing.

I have no idea how to level a character efficiently nowadays though...

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
I tried the whole month getting a team in Inferno. Nobody wants a 218/21 Fixer for poo poo except FGrid or ncu/gsf.
I missed the wave of everyone doing the drat "new" nano missions, so that's off the table. Pretty much the only thing I can do is run around the battlestation AOE snare to gently caress and trying to FA a gimp here or there. Whee whoop, got OFAB and my mk.5 and a shitton of extra points. But it drives me nuts I can't get my Improved nano line, or my SWSXI? (is it?) because ain't a drat person doing DB missions anymore.

I'll try again if/when the new engine comes out. I really wish the endgame wasn't something you have to get in on the first wave or you're hosed.

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend

EDGECRUSHER posted:

I tried the whole month getting a team in Inferno. Nobody wants a 218/21 Fixer for poo poo except FGrid or ncu/gsf.
I missed the wave of everyone doing the drat "new" nano missions, so that's off the table. Pretty much the only thing I can do is run around the battlestation AOE snare to gently caress and trying to FA a gimp here or there. Whee whoop, got OFAB and my mk.5 and a shitton of extra points. But it drives me nuts I can't get my Improved nano line, or my SWSXI? (is it?) because ain't a drat person doing DB missions anymore.

I'll try again if/when the new engine comes out. I really wish the endgame wasn't something you have to get in on the first wave or you're hosed.

I got to 220 and I kind of gave up on those new Nanos. I could never find enough people to help me out with those quests. They should make the Nano available for purchasing after a while, because getting parties to do old quest lines is very tough.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

EDGECRUSHER posted:

I really wish the endgame wasn't something you have to get in on the first wave or you're hosed.

And the first wave was done years and years ago :(

Last time I played AO, I had the "new" nano quests on my LFT message for around two months and I never got one single tell about it. I'd really wanna sub AO again but last couple posts reminded me what a boring LFT fest it can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porcupine
Mar 20, 2006
I am constantly amazed that I will be hanging around Old Athen and see someone on the OCC channel asking the most basic of questions about the gameplay mechanics, as if they really are new to it.

I mean, how can anyone even discover that this game even exists? I browse a lot of gaming related content and I never, ever see any mention of this game anywhere. Banners, ads, interviews on gaming sites, nothing.

It is occasionally mentioned on some GAMES FREE TO PLAY ON THE INTERNET lists here and there, but it's not like its the splash page at filefront or anything.

And yet there is a playerbase, mostly made up of Tier 7 players and people who play for free.

I mean, how did you find out about this game?

• Locked thread