Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
guys i think i broke something :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
How the hell did that happen?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Gearhead posted:

How the hell did that happen?

I stopped getting veteran points and sent a petition. The GM commented on how screwed up my account data was as he tried to force the servers to set my veteran months at 84 (which it should have been). Apparently he instead managed to add 84 veteran months, and now all my characters start with 406 veteran points.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Makes you wonder about the game's DB sometimes...

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Gearhead posted:

Makes you wonder about the game's DB sometimes...

Hey, I'm not going to complain about this.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
A new expansion?

Don't know what it will do in terms of bringing me back though

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The expansion (they call it a 'booster') is more a tide over while they work on the thing that's theoretically been consuming more man hours: importing AO's environment to the AoC graphics engine.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Gearhead posted:

The expansion (they call it a 'booster') is more a tide over while they work on the thing that's theoretically been consuming more man hours: importing AO's environment to the Ogre graphics engine.

Fixed that for ya. http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showpost.php?p=5364680&postcount=2

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Well, I didn't know the actual name, but it was pretty apparent that it was kin to to engine used for AoC just looking at it.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

That's amazing. I'm glad to see people start to use the OGRE engine.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

For all of you who don't have any of the new nanos, I would be happy to help out with my 220 doctor. If we have a few decent 215-220s and can rope in an enforcer or soldier or something, we could probably plow through them in a few hours or over the course of a few days. All I'd want in exchange is your undying love and possibly help with some of that stuff on my other characters when they get there.

Also if any of you are getting the booster, I'd love to get a goon team together to run through some of the content.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Vidmaster posted:

For all of you who don't have any of the new nanos, I would be happy to help out with my 220 doctor. If we have a few decent 215-220s and can rope in an enforcer or soldier or something, we could probably plow through them in a few hours or over the course of a few days. All I'd want in exchange is your undying love and possibly help with some of that stuff on my other characters when they get there.

Also if any of you are getting the booster, I'd love to get a goon team together to run through some of the content.

Well, I resubbed again. If by new nanos you mean the DB quest line then I'd be in for that on a 220 shade. Doubt I'll have time for it outside weekends though.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Vidmaster posted:

What server are you on?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Candida albicans posted:

Well, I resubbed again. If by new nanos you mean the DB quest line then I'd be in for that on a 220 shade. Doubt I'll have time for it outside weekends though.

DB quest line, or the APF nanos. I don't know if I can solo-doc for the sector with the towers and 2 generals, but I should be able to handle all the others with a little luck and a good team. I'll also help out with albtraum, the DB1/2 encounters, and the adonis/penumbra quests.

I am on RK1.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I recently started playing AO for a bit again, mostly because it's free but it's pretty boring(missions) and empty thus far.(RK1)

I'm thinking of getting SL but something is telling me that it won't be much busier..people still doing hecklers only and ignoring the other 95% of the playing area?

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

SilverSmoke posted:

I recently started playing AO for a bit again, mostly because it's free but it's pretty boring(missions) and empty thus far.(RK1)

I'm thinking of getting SL but something is telling me that it won't be much busier..people still doing hecklers only and ignoring the other 95% of the playing area?

I havent been above 170 but 95% seems a bit high. Alien stuff, battlestations (pvp) and the high level mission things in SL are pretty busy.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I've been in a game hiatus recently and this was the only older mmo other than doac that I've never tried. I watched a couple of vids on youtube, voiced by some crazy bastard that speaks 5000 words a minute, and got a nice mmo-urge on.

This game looks truly horrible. I can't even properly describe it but from the ui to the way mobs are somehow 'messed-together' from a targeting viewpoint, I hated even the very beginning. I usually eat up the newb areas in any game but I hated this.

It doesn't help when the 80 thousand stats make any piece of gear almost unfathomable for a beginner. It's a ridiculous system when 90% of people will follow a build they read online (me included).

Anyway, this game will hold a place in my heart for being the only game I think I've ever played where I didn't bother to make it out of the newb zone.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
AO was and is crazy like that.

A graphical engine (that they swear they're upgrading Soontm) that doesn't know how to use a GPU or graphic card RAM properly. A skill system you need a FAQ to understand. And a zillion unexplained quirks and a horribly bloated database full of random vendor trash.

But for some reason, those who love it.. love it.. It's not really reasonable.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Rapacity posted:

I've been in a game hiatus recently and this was the only older mmo other than doac that I've never tried. I watched a couple of vids on youtube, voiced by some crazy bastard that speaks 5000 words a minute, and got a nice mmo-urge on.

This game looks truly horrible. I can't even properly describe it but from the ui to the way mobs are somehow 'messed-together' from a targeting viewpoint, I hated even the very beginning. I usually eat up the newb areas in any game but I hated this.

It doesn't help when the 80 thousand stats make any piece of gear almost unfathomable for a beginner. It's a ridiculous system when 90% of people will follow a build they read online (me included).

Anyway, this game will hold a place in my heart for being the only game I think I've ever played where I didn't bother to make it out of the newb zone.

The game is just really bloody old and unfortunately FunCom hasn't bothered to make any real attempt at modernizing it in any way. They're working on a new graphics engine upgrade, but the screenshots from it look like poo poo to be honest. The mission system is horrible and the reward is useless/worthless 99% of the time. By the time you figure this out you realize that all the PvE is just there for you to grind up cash and levels for their all-PvP endgame. There's a whole litany of complaints I could ragepost about all day. With all of that said Anarchy Online is probably one of the better free MMOs on the market. It's certainly better than playing those Korean massively multiplayer online animes that you can't take two steps without tripping over these days.

But yeah, I kind of have to agree with anyone that says "gently caress Anarchy Online." Especially because you can't DOWNGRADE an account back to free after you upgrade to a subscription. I just lost five million credits on a character on that account.

Dulcissime
Nov 17, 2004

by mons all madden
When did AO get an all-PVP endgame?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Nekumi posted:

When did AO get an endgame?

Fixed.

I'm pretty sure the only endgame content AO has is pandemonium raids, APF, camelot, towers, and a few of the new quests. Of those, only towers and camelot are PVP focused, and since you can do either of those at lower levels too it doesn't really count much as truly endgame.

All in all it's pretty weak on that front, but they seem to be getting a little better at adding in new content for the high level players.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001

Vidmaster posted:

DB quest line, or the APF nanos. I don't know if I can solo-doc for the sector with the towers and 2 generals, but I should be able to handle all the others with a little luck and a good team. I'll also help out with albtraum, the DB1/2 encounters, and the adonis/penumbra quests.

I am on RK1.

I have a 218 Fixer on RK1 that's missing all of that junk. I'll check on re-subbing this weekend and see if I can hook up with you guys.
I've got all my "end game" weapons and almost all the armor (minus the last SWS) and was spending night after night on LFT (think I already complained about this, so sorry) so let my account lapse again. Still have to grind out the last level 10's in research and F me when it came to the pads and DB poo poo.

Anyway, "Emilin" is the name of my Fixer.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Anyone try out the booster yet? Any thoughts? I liked seeing the new areas, though it doesn't seem very soloable yet (or at least the alien area isn't), as everything there is level 250-300. The quests seemed ok, though we got to the 3rd one in the alien area and had to camp a couple of mobs for 3 rare nodrop/unique items, and it kind of got frustrating there because everyone else was camping them too and the drops were pretty rare. Still, looking forward to trying out some of the other stuff and getting cool new items.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
drat, I just re-upped and missed that it was already on live. Damnit.

Says agents can use new nanos in FP. I don't want to break out the alt account just yet, but man it'd be sweet to cast comp mochs with him :]

I hope that's what it means.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Vidmaster posted:

Anyone try out the booster yet? Any thoughts? I liked seeing the new areas, though it doesn't seem very soloable yet (or at least the alien area isn't), as everything there is level 250-300. The quests seemed ok, though we got to the 3rd one in the alien area and had to camp a couple of mobs for 3 rare nodrop/unique items, and it kind of got frustrating there because everyone else was camping them too and the drops were pretty rare. Still, looking forward to trying out some of the other stuff and getting cool new items.

It's not too bad so far. I'm not having any problems solo'ing the alien area unless I aggro about 3-4 mobs at the same time. They seemed to have nerfed the aliens HP really badly. The quest mission where you have to kill the one mob that pops every 5-10 minutes is terrible, however. 30 - 220's standing around waiting for the pop, basically every soldier there just full auto's into it and the mob is done.

I haven't done much dust brigade yet. Most it seems pretty solo'able until I hit one of the hardcore mobs that hits for 3-4k every time (I think Area A in the pit has most of them). I plan on getting the org together to do it a little more once it dies down a little and it's not just 100 people in the same area, trying to accomplish the same thing.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

EDGECRUSHER posted:

drat, I just re-upped and missed that it was already on live. Damnit.

Says agents can use new nanos in FP. I don't want to break out the alt account just yet, but man it'd be sweet to cast comp mochs with him :]

I hope that's what it means.

* Enfo: Mongo's Gargantua, Mongo's Mighty Colossus, Mongo's Mega Leviathan
* Advy: Lifecure, Lupus Oculus, Vision of the Wolf, Freedom of the Forester, Freedom of the Ranger, Light of Life
* Crat: Motivational Speech: Opportunity Knocks, Motivational Speech: Organizational Opportunitites, Motivational Speech: Only the Paranoid Will Survive!, Motivational Speech: Implement Through Iteration
* MA: Aegis of Metal, Aegis of Stone
* Engi/Crat/MP: Pet Attention, Improved Pet Attention, Pet Steal Back, Improved Pet Steal Back
* Fixer: Shadow Trail, Shadow Step, NCU Compressor, Retool NCU, Jury-rigged NCU Analyzer, Deck Recoder
* MP: Calling of Curatem The Grand, Calling of Altumus, Calling of The Vivificator, Composite Teachings, Composite Mastery

Composite mastery :toot:

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I subscribed for the Shadowlands pack and now it seems I can't use my free part of the account until the money transfer has been processed, which can take 6 days. Sounds pretty retarded to me but oh well..

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001

Slave posted:

* Enfo: Mongo's Gargantua, Mongo's Mighty Colossus, Mongo's Mega Leviathan
* Advy: Lifecure, Lupus Oculus, Vision of the Wolf, Freedom of the Forester, Freedom of the Ranger, Light of Life
* Crat: Motivational Speech: Opportunity Knocks, Motivational Speech: Organizational Opportunitites, Motivational Speech: Only the Paranoid Will Survive!, Motivational Speech: Implement Through Iteration
* MA: Aegis of Metal, Aegis of Stone
* Engi/Crat/MP: Pet Attention, Improved Pet Attention, Pet Steal Back, Improved Pet Steal Back
* Fixer: Shadow Trail, Shadow Step, NCU Compressor, Retool NCU, Jury-rigged NCU Analyzer, Deck Recoder
* MP: Calling of Curatem The Grand, Calling of Altumus, Calling of The Vivificator, Composite Teachings, Composite Mastery

Composite mastery :toot:

That's friggin' awesome man, thanks for digging that up. I have a 120ish Agent that I enjoy FP'ing to MP for solo missions, and it's great to get some more of their nanos. The Fixer NCU is unnecessary, but being able to do comp mastery trumps all :xd:

I'm on west coast US time at night, and it would make make me drat happy to get a team for Alap pads. Like I said before, just drop a /tell Emilin on RK1 and I'll be down for anything!

EDGECRUSHER fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 21, 2009

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
We finally get new FP nanos? That almost makes me want to go resubscribe! Agents were the best thing about AO.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 16, 2018

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Captain Schlork posted:

I've heard people praise how nice the new playfields look.

They are really quite stunning once you take a step back and really take an in depth look at them. At first you think it looks like a bunch of brown crap, but zoom out and look around. It is definitely one of the most intricate playfields they have made along with Pandemonium and Inferno.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 16, 2018

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
So how is LoX regarding solo and 1-3 man team content? I haven't gotten around to taking a look at it since I opened a new account and started leveling an engineer. Is it worth buying if I'm not interested in the raid part and such?

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Candida albicans posted:

So how is LoX regarding solo and 1-3 man team content? I haven't gotten around to taking a look at it since I opened a new account and started leveling an engineer. Is it worth buying if I'm not interested in the raid part and such?

From everything I've heard (not currently playing, character's too low to hop in on the content anyway) it's all very solo-friendly, but a bit clogged at the moment because there isn't much instancing in the new big playfields. Supposedly the boss encounter instances (or at least some of 'em) tailor themselves differently based on the size of the team, though, to the point that small two-man teams are having an easier time than larger groups.

I'd be willing to bet that FC tweaks that before long, though, so probably best to get in and enjoy stuff before it gets whacked with the Nerf Stick™.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone feel like getting together this weekend to help me get the Inferno sanctuary key?

I'll provide the insignias, and I'm currently on Venerable Ecclesiast Gal Gil in the quest thanks to Donglaser.

(Edited because too many goons have dong-related names.)

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 25, 2009

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

Technogeek posted:

Anyone feel like getting together this weekend to help me get the Inferno sanctuary key?

I'll provide the insignias, and I'm currently on Venerable Ecclesiast Gal Gil in the quest thanks to Dongfrenzy.

Nigga my name is DongLASER. Dongfrenzy is Vidmaster who is not me.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 16, 2018

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Technogeek posted:

I'll provide the insignias, and I'm currently on Venerable Ecclesiast Gal Gil in the quest thanks to Dongfrenzy.

Dongfrenzy actually needs the quest still, I finished up to the ecclesiast but couldn't ever find anyone to do Galahad with before my quest timer expired, so I need to start from the beginning again. I'd be happy to help once I catch up to you.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds good. Let me know what time works for you guys and we can schedule something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
First full night back, and maybe it's just the timezone I play on (GMT -7) but this poo poo LFT crap is pissing me off. I guess I should try and do the new stuff if I get the expansion, because I'll never get the goddamn old DB nano quest.

Man that pisses me off.

• Locked thread