Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
GO FOR THE FLING SHOT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Here's the YouTube channel I'm watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEkT7GsOcLU

It reminds me why I'm not playing AO but ... he's having so much fun

:3:

Cheers for the link, it's nice to watch even if it's an absolute ballache to play

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 29, 2017

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Why does this ancient game fill me with a terrible feeling of nostalgia?

Trying very hard to resist the urge to sub up and resume my vain attempts to nuke all the things...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Gearhead posted:

Why does this ancient game fill me with a terrible feeling of nostalgia?

Trying very hard to resist the urge to sub up and resume my vain attempts to nuke all the things...

It's F2P these days and there was way more nostalgia for me in Omni-1, haven't even got around to paying to go back to SL. It did remind me how hard it was (and still is) to solo this game: I'm afraid my 2001-era fixer will never make it to 200. :smith:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Froobs still don't get access to anything past Notum Wars though, right?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gearhead posted:

Froobs still don't get access to anything past Notum Wars though, right?

I think so, looks like the original map with the NW content (a lot of the areas are empty), plus an added area which offers better xp that I don't remember being in the original. I'm pretty sure SL and everything else is paywalled. My dude still had his shadowlands armor on, but taking it off means I'd have to sub to reequip it. Not sure if I even get the benefits without the expansion active. :shrug:

All of my stuff was still there, probably could've found my old apartment with all of my old stuff, but I was lazy and just respawned it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Yeah, I actually really liked SL and poo poo like that.

I can, at least say I have spent money on worse things than ancient MMO subs.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gearhead posted:

Yeah, I actually really liked SL and poo poo like that.

I can, at least say I have spent money on worse things than ancient MMO subs.

Oh yeah, it's what? $12? You've spent more on lovely lunches.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh yeah, it's what? $12? You've spent more on lovely lunches.

To say nothing of my Cryx army...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Several tracks from the score have been in my music library for many years now. Can't listen to any of them without immediately visualizing places I'd heard them. When I first stepped out of the holo backyard and Backyard Jazz started playing ... :allears:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
If there was anything the game was good for, it was sticking 'first encounters' with certain iconic features. Sheoul and Ergo come to mind.

EDIT:

Well, I would bank on nostalgia, but Funcom's payment processing system is apparently hot garbage these days.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 3, 2017

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
hi i just installed this computer virus, what is considered a good starter class and can gently caress things up

thanks

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Blackdog420 posted:

hi i just installed this computer virus, what is considered a good starter class and can gently caress things up

thanks

With the caveat that it's been 15+ years since I rolled a new character, I remember Adventurer, Soldier, and Enforcer being the easiest to solo and the better damage dealers.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Blackdog420 posted:

thanks

Froob or paid? Either way, MA (martial artist) is probably the most fun I had out of any profession I levelled. Bureaucrat was a close 2nd, but I don't think they're a good starter.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I've always like fixer but that's mostly because they run fast.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Blackdog420 posted:

thanks

enforcer, soldier, engineer, crat

be sure to pick up illegal ofab weapons in the subway

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I must've made a soldier at some point but damned if I can remember one.

Go adventurer! Be a reet! But MA has low cost of entry and you get lots of cool moves.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

uPen posted:

I've always like fixer but that's mostly because they run fast.

My fixer is ~130 and I'm pretty sure he will never hit 200. I can get anywhere in Rubi-Ka within 5 minutes, though. Yay fixed grid! :woop:

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
nanomage nt

dooooo iiiiiiitttttttttttt

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I really enjoyed leveling my adventurer, doctor, and shade. The latter two are a bit more expensive, but at least with a doctor you'll never have trouble finding groups.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You can gear a froob doc for free pretty much using pistols, going illegal peregrine into CDR (Foremans) into dog of war (The Reck), it's not bad.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Vidmaster posted:

but at least with a doctor you'll never have trouble finding groups.

That was unfortunately true only a long time ago. As the game is right now, life of a doc is very lonely all the way from after totwish levels to until 220. Nobody wants doc in leveling teams since even inf hards can be facerolled by deeps. When I leveled my doc couple years back, I don't think I got a single leveling team invite. Had to dual log to get any inf missions done.

e: BUT. At 220 your poo poo suddenly doesn't stink any more. After you get your top nanos (db quest line and such), that is.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 5, 2017

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Fewd posted:

That was unfortunately true only a long time ago. As the game is right now, life of a doc is very lonely all the way from after totwish levels to until 220. Nobody wants doc in leveling teams since even inf hards can be facerolled by deeps. When I leveled my doc couple years back, I don't think I got a single leveling team invite. Had to dual log to get any inf missions done.

e: BUT. At 220 your poo poo suddenly doesn't stink any more. After you get your top nanos (db quest line and such), that is.

Played a doc to 220 back when levelling teams actually needed one. It was painful and I wish I never bothered. They just such poo poo damage, go play something fun to level instead.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I'm leveling a froob fixer right now and i seem to kind of suck at everything. Level 51 and still hanging around ToTW, just got some decent heals and a few better ones lined up, but my damage is garbage. What should I be using? maussers?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Blackbirds, but they're expensive and hard to get on at that level

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Resubbed yesterday, I make good decisions.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
i couldnt do it guys... sorry. uninstalled

edit: Reinstalled. Round 2.
edit2: Nah.

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 8, 2017

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Does anyone happen to have a old SL only account, you know the ones with the $5/mo. sub and access to SL only, that they wouldn't mind tossing my way?

I'd like to get back into this, but $15/mo. is ridiculous for a 16 year old game, and leveling/playing without SL is pretty badworse.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 28, 2017

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.
i started playing this again after a decade or something. i'm fuqn around on daazaster the soldier. gimmy stuff tia~

Video Game Aspie
Dec 29, 2011

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I started playing again after probably over 10 years, on a really old 67 froob fixer named Acidburn420 :suicide101:

I have GA1, but I remember GA1 not really being that effective after a certain point, and I don't think I have the means to get myself GA2 anyway, as it's above my level. Soloing so far has been frustrating, my roots and snares don't land, my damage is poor, and finding a group in Foreman's hasn't been easy. Should I keep playing this fixer or level up my meta physicist instead, who can currently self cast a pet 25 levels above him and solo a lot easier?

Cloudhidden
Feb 26, 2007
I would give the MP a try. I just started back up again 3 days ago after a similar break and made an MP (name Cloudhidden) and it has been a total cakewalk so far. Soloing Lien in TOTW with basically just the store implants and a pet 30 levels above me and I never played this class before.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Fixers are nice to play when they're twinked out hard and you're fixergridding all over the place for dailies. Pretty sure it's the actual worst profession to play with average gear. Especially when solo.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Fixer hots are nice for soloing but damage is truly quite meh until you get fullauto at higher levels. I'm not sure if fullauto applies to froob fixers though, they might be meh forevers

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Full auto froob guns suck. Are you thinking about the AI or LE weapons?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

Full auto froob guns suck. Are you thinking about the AI or LE weapons?

There was that one base game gun that was actually the best fixer fullauto gun before high fa skill and envy. Bigburger or something. But its goodness was mostly because it required low fa skill to cap it at whatever the lowest fa recharge time was. But still, dunno if froobs can get whatever it required, and if they got a good mainhand weapon to go with it. Also expansion dmg+ poo poo might be needed to make burger not terrible.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
As far as I know their best option is still blinded blackbirds with a hotswap bigburger smg, but maybe that's outdated. In any case, froob fixer is the most painful profession, no doubt about it. At least you get fgrid tho.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I mained a fixer all the way to Xan end game gear and I didnt touch Full Auto until alien weapons and xan weapons. Its not worth it for 200 gearing. Fixer is awful to play unless you have have top gear. For a froob I wouldnt touch it without GA IV. And if you get that just sell it for credits and twink out another class.

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015
Atrox fixer is the best, grid armor and a large hp bonus. I would main tank everything for my old clan mercenaries of kai, before we all left for swg when notum wars became unfun. The game has a great soundtrack also, worth listening to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8ryBJPTCg

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Cobra-Commander posted:

The game has a great soundtrack also, worth listening to

You can download the whole soundtrack at Funcom's FTP site: http://ftp.funcom.com/press/ANARCHY_ONLINE/MUSIC/Anarchy%20Online%20Music%20Collection/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I still have several tracks in a playlist after all these years. Jon Hallur's EvE Online music is also very good.

EDIT: Hmm, wonder if these are better quality than my old files. Time to dig in!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 22, 2017

• Locked thread