Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Tyshalob posted:

I just read a thread over on the IGN AO board about how nobody wants to team up with anyone from levels 200 - 219. Why is that?

I suppose he covered that in his post. People are too picky to do anything but a 220 easy or hard.

I'd call the 150-200 much harder than 200+ though, the grouping is totally dead on those levels. I think the LFT related to TL5-6 levels is the main reason I usually have quit AO. It's so drat hard to find groups and when someone finally ninjainvites you it's "RK mish kk?". Call me picky then but I'd rather crush my skull with a crt monitor than run any more Broken Shores missions for exp, ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Candida albicans posted:

I suppose he covered that in his post. People are too picky to do anything but a 220 easy or hard.

I'd call the 150-200 much harder than 200+ though, the grouping is totally dead on those levels. I think the LFT related to TL5-6 levels is the main reason I usually have quit AO. It's so drat hard to find groups and when someone finally ninjainvites you it's "RK mish kk?". Call me picky then but I'd rather crush my skull with a crt monitor than run any more Broken Shores missions for exp, ever again.

I've only ever gotten a character up to like level 20 so I have no idea what you're talking about. Mind explaining why it's such a pain to get groups in the 150 - 200 and 200 - 219?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

I've only ever gotten a character up to like level 20 so I have no idea what you're talking about. Mind explaining why it's such a pain to get groups in the 150 - 200 and 200 - 219?

The 150-200ish range is hard mostly because there are not all that many people playing on those levels these days. When you finally see other people LFT, it's no use most of the time if the professions don't make a functional team. You need at least a good amount of healing and a decent tank to do the SL exping "normally" without pockets. Pocketing meaning someone dual logging a higher level char like 220 doc or enf to make everything effortless. I'd guess it's even harder for people who are playing their first characters as most of the people who are on their 5th or whatever character are just going to sprint to inferno at 160 (level for entering penumbra without doing access quest) at get powerlevelled. So then there's the new guy, can't get a molar for inf ring? Can't get or afford inf boots? Don't have higher level contacts to play with in inf? Tough poo poo, here's LFT tool for you.

The thing about people preferring not to team for lower level missions in inferno is that the 220 missions have much higher finishing exp rewards than the other ones, even 219 missions. Seems a large amount of people rather LFT than do anything under 220. If FunCom made the rewards scale more rationally, then that might help with the stupid attitude towards lower level missions. I guess the leeching lower level fucks also want a 220 in the team so that they don't have to actually bother playing as most, if not all, 220's can just breeze through 220 easy missions without much external healing or anything.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 16, 2018

Rue
Apr 12, 2007
Downloading now and setup a freebie account. Been wanting to try something other than fantasy MMO's for a while, so hopefully this will turn out better than my bored-to-tears experience with EVE.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
which server is more active these days? rimor or atlantean?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Atlantean seems pretty busy most of the time. I never really went anywhere other than Rome so I can't really speak of anywhere outside of there, but most of the time I spent in Rome there were usually a fair number of people just standing around doing nothing outside the basic shops.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
Yeah you guys covered it. I've always been too slow or not even on when new poo poo hits, and have been playing catch up for years now. I was thinking of just buying my goddamn alb bracer parts, I'm so drat tired of getting the losing end of the roll on each time I go.
I really do hope that a new engine will bring people back. Right now, it's a bit too elitist for my tastes-and I end up talking poo poo to some raid leader for being a prick and wow! no more APF for me :/

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

EDGECRUSHER posted:

Yeah you guys covered it. I've always been too slow or not even on when new poo poo hits, and have been playing catch up for years now. I was thinking of just buying my goddamn alb bracer parts, I'm so drat tired of getting the losing end of the roll on each time I go.
I really do hope that a new engine will bring people back. Right now, it's a bit too elitist for my tastes-and I end up talking poo poo to some raid leader for being a prick and wow! no more APF for me :/

APF is better done in org teams anyways, so no loss there!

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I think I might be seduced by the nuke power of the Nano-Technician. Any advice for a froob?

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 16, 2018

reikazen
Mar 10, 2009
someone should make a goon guild!

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

reikazen posted:

someone should make a goon guild!

Great idea! Could name it GoonCorp or something like that!

reikazen
Mar 10, 2009
I know such a good idea!ok I know im a idoit but atleast im honest about it.Only read like 4 or 5 pages of this thread before i got board and posted lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Captain Schlork posted:

Just read the profession guides through on the official forums. It's a pretty versatile prof as you can choose whether you want to use a weapon or just totally focus on nano damage. Miy's Nano Armor will be your friend along the way.

How terrible is soloing with an NT? I prefer to do stuff like leveling and missions on my own. Did I pick the wrong profession for that?

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Tyshalob posted:

How terrible is soloing with an NT? I prefer to do stuff like leveling and missions on my own. Did I pick the wrong profession for that?

NTs are the gods of solo levelling

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

After reading the NT forum today I'm probably going to shelve my NT until the class gets an overhaul or a review or some kind of love from FunCom. Quite frankly the thought of running around in a circle while occasionally stopping to cast an AoE or a nuke to gain levels doesn't really appeal to me. Also I don't have expansions so all the "good" kiting spots for exp/credits are apparently not available for me. Kind of a shame since I normally enjoy playing "mage" classes, but it just seems like survivability is questionable for an NT with my play style.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 14, 2009

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

So anyone here needing ice golem molar for inf ring? I'm gonna pop it as soon as I get five more levels grinded. Possibly on Sunday or Monday, depending on LFT luck. If anyone wants to come along, tell Mubot in game.

edit*
^
Never mind. I didn't notice you're froob and I don't know how weapon + resonance blast compares to other DD profs on RK.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 14, 2009

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Started a melee Adventurer today and even made it all the way to Rome! I said I'd never do it because it seems so loving dumb that this is how I have to make money, but I rolled missions until I finally got a QL10 Concrete Cushion (only cost me 1k credits). What are those selling for these days?

Also, I picked up two QL10 SOL Fire Executioner Type C and one Type E. Are the Type C an okay weapon for a lvl 12 froob?

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
Wish I could answer your question Tyshalob, but in my experience it's difficult to get attached to any particular weapon at lower levels because you just end up leveling past it faster than you think.

I just can't quit AO. I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall for so long that it's numb and it won't matter if I bang it some more. I'm going to sell a lot of poo poo and try my best to "buy" the drat items I need.

Sucks.

Don't hesitate to shoot me a tell if you need fgrid or other Fixer poo poo (Emilin is my main on RK1)

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

Tyshalob posted:

Started a melee Adventurer today and even made it all the way to Rome! I said I'd never do it because it seems so loving dumb that this is how I have to make money, but I rolled missions until I finally got a QL10 Concrete Cushion (only cost me 1k credits). What are those selling for these days?

The last few times I've played AO I've been able to make 100k to 1mil per set of cushion. The price depends on how long you want to wait to sell them because the 100k+ prices are based on someone being desperate to buy the cushions.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

EDGECRUSHER posted:

Wish I could answer your question Tyshalob, but in my experience it's difficult to get attached to any particular weapon at lower levels because you just end up leveling past it faster than you think.

I just can't quit AO. I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall for so long that it's numb and it won't matter if I bang it some more. I'm going to sell a lot of poo poo and try my best to "buy" the drat items I need.

Sucks.

Don't hesitate to shoot me a tell if you need fgrid or other Fixer poo poo (Emilin is my main on RK1)

Back in the pre Alien Invasion days the best way I made money as a fixer was rolling max ql missions and using my fixer treasure bonus to get poo poo that other classes couldn't like extremely high medkits and scopes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tyshalob posted:

After reading the NT forum today I'm probably going to shelve my NT until the class gets an overhaul or a review or some kind of love from FunCom.

NTs have been waiting for that review since around 2003. :(

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
I've tried playing this in the past and was totally overwhelmed. Now that I'm older and theres a goon presence I figure I'll give it another shot.

Is it worth picking up the Shadowlands and all the other expansions or should I just pick up Shadowlands for now and the rest later?

TheUnforgiven fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 15, 2009

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 16, 2018

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Made 900k last night selling Concrete Cushions and Second Hand Old English Trading Company Pistols. :smug: Concrete Cushions pretty much go for 100k a set now and pistols 75 - 100k a set.

I'm not very happy with the way the melee advie is turning out, and I decided to just keep him around to blitz for junk to sell and fund a Martial Artist.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Tyshalob posted:

After reading the NT forum today I'm probably going to shelve my NT until the class gets an overhaul or a review or some kind of love from FunCom. Quite frankly the thought of running around in a circle while occasionally stopping to cast an AoE or a nuke to gain levels doesn't really appeal to me. Also I don't have expansions so all the "good" kiting spots for exp/credits are apparently not available for me. Kind of a shame since I normally enjoy playing "mage" classes, but it just seems like survivability is questionable for an NT with my play style.

NTs are actually a ton of fun and the NT forum is dominated by whiny kiting noobs who don't know how to play their class. Sure, kiting is the fastest way to level, but it's not too much fun, and you wind up being dependent on it for everything if you only do it, as you won't ever learn how to actually play the class. They're really a mixed control and damage class in many ways, and they really shine if you're using all your available tools. You get roots, calms, blinds (single and AOE), damage over time (admittedly lovely if you're a froob), absorb shields, AOE nukes, single target nukes, root reducers, and a 100% reflect shield that makes you immune to everything for 20 seconds. Most of your nukes have taunts, so you have a lot of flexiblity in aggro control, especially when combined with roots and calms. They also PVP really well, or at least they did before the introduction of massive nano drains and root/blind immunity for soldiers and enfs. I still do pretty well against every other class though, and if you mostly pvp against froobs you should be great (that other stuff doesn't start being a problem until TL5 expansion characters).

Edit: Also, if you want some cash to fund your MA or advy or any other class with, hit me up in game. I have 250 mil sitting around on my doctor and not a lot to do with it right now, so I'm happy to throw you 5 mil or something once you find a class you're happy with.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

Made 900k last night selling Concrete Cushions and Second Hand Old English Trading Company Pistols. :smug: Concrete Cushions pretty much go for 100k a set now and pistols 75 - 100k a set.

I'm not very happy with the way the melee advie is turning out, and I decided to just keep him around to blitz for junk to sell and fund a Martial Artist.

Send me a tell ingame if you have any questions or issues. I will be more than happy to help you out however I can.

/tell aberroyc

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I came by this AriensGUI thing while looking at the official forums and figured to mention it here. It seems to contain a ton of helpful poo poo especially for new players so if anyone here is considering starting AO, I'd recommend installing that.

Link the download site. Also contains screenies.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Tyshalob posted:

You'll regret that. There's no better all-rounder than melee advies (excepting PvP). Also, I wouldn't dismiss any archetype until you bring it to at least 50, some say 100. There's a lot you don't know.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 16, 2018

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Mostly it's IP distribution that I think is wrong with the character. I'm having a hard time deciding how/when/why to spend IP in things, and I just drained what little IP reserve I had to bring run speed up to an acceptable level and breaking and entering so I could unlock a door. Even after reading guides I'm a bit lost. Some say max this, this, and this every level. Some say not to. Nano skills, weapon specials and "non-essential" attributes are probably the most confusing for me. Let's look at nano skills for an example. The two guides I've read for Adventurers agree that the three important skills are MM, BM, and SI and suggest that they be maxed every level. But isn't that eventually just going to lead to wasted IP because you've exceeded the needed value for some nano that is the last in that line? Like let's say that the highest value needed in MM to use any nano that requires it is 500. Because I've been maxing MM every level it has a value of 900. That's 400 points worth of IP in MM wasted that could have gone into something else.

I don't know. Maybe I'm worried too much about being gimped worse than I already am as a froob. I'm probably thinking too much about this scenario or that scenario. It's just kind of frustrating trying to figure this thing out.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

:words:

Generally you don't need to min-max IP excessively, as you will end up more than plenty of it when you hit the TL5 skill caps. Meaning levels 165ish-189, when all your important skills are capped and you get 80k IP per level to spend on whatever. Froob race abilities (str, sta, agi, etc) also get capped around 165 so no more IP for those.

But if you're really hellbent on not "wasting" a single IP then look up your nano reqs from Auno, plan your implants ahead with Nanonanny and take into account what nano skill gear you will be using. And that's not even considering that some mobs will debuff you and if you pvp, you will get drained and hosed with that kind of skill planning. Lots of work, and for nothing really.

I always max my most important nano skills as there's no reason not to.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Tyshalob posted:

Mostly it's IP distribution that I think is wrong with the character. I'm having a hard time deciding how/when/why to spend IP in things, and I just drained what little IP reserve I had to bring run speed up to an acceptable level and breaking and entering so I could unlock a door. Even after reading guides I'm a bit lost. Some say max this, this, and this every level. Some say not to. Nano skills, weapon specials and "non-essential" attributes are probably the most confusing for me. Let's look at nano skills for an example. The two guides I've read for Adventurers agree that the three important skills are MM, BM, and SI and suggest that they be maxed every level. But isn't that eventually just going to lead to wasted IP because you've exceeded the needed value for some nano that is the last in that line? Like let's say that the highest value needed in MM to use any nano that requires it is 500. Because I've been maxing MM every level it has a value of 900. That's 400 points worth of IP in MM wasted that could have gone into something else.

I don't know. Maybe I'm worried too much about being gimped worse than I already am as a froob. I'm probably thinking too much about this scenario or that scenario. It's just kind of frustrating trying to figure this thing out.

https://www.auno.org is your best friend for determining nanoskills and what you should and shouldn't raise - for example, a 30 second look at the shade nanolist tells you that you never need to raise BM/MM for any reason as a shade, so if you're really concerned about not wasting anything, check there. That said, adventurers need 1500 BM/MM and 1800 SI for their best nanos, I think (might be higher now too), so you're in no danger of screwing anything up there.

If you're playing a melee adventurer, the skills you want to be increasing are 1he, body dev, nano pool, BM/MM, evade close, and dodge ranged - those will give you the most survivability ultimately. After that, focus on your other nanoskills, brawl/fast attack, basic attributes, run speed, computer literacy, treatment, and nano resist. A few points in breaking and entering is good, though I think you'll only need 401 max to open any door and all chests in QL 200 and lower missions (the formula is mission QL+1 for doors and 2xQL+1 for chests up to 200, after that doors are the same but chests go up to 4x or something dumb so you need around 800-1000 B&E for chests in level 250 missions).

Also when you get to higher levels IP stops being a problem and you'll have enough to max everything you use and then some. Once you hit new title levels you'll get more IP/level as well - at TL2 (level 15), you get 10,000, at level 50 you get 20,000, 100 is 40,000, 150 is 80,000, 190 is 160,000, and at 200+ it's a bunch. At level 220 my doc has everything maxed and a couple million IP in reserve, so it's really not a big deal if you spend a few IP stupidly at low level.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I do not have a lot of free time, but sun-wed nights I am a little bored. I need PvP though. GuildWars has the right idea in that I want PvP, and I want it now.

How many hours/days, typically, would it take for an average character to get into serious PvP, where that is all I would do. I may not even mind doing the p2p if it was a fast enough trek.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 16, 2018

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Tyshalob posted:

In my opinion at least... this is a good idea. If you're not enjoying a class the best thing you can do is move on early. MA is a great starting class choice since they are cheap to keep up, and excellent at exploration, soloing, and very easy to twink if you choose to do that. Best thing a new player can do is start an MA and get it high enough to fund other characters. Another class that is real powerful early on is the fixer, but they're really expensive!

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 16, 2018

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
So I can get to 220, or the cap or whatever, in 3 weeks? Of playtime, or actual time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

ScaerCroe posted:

So I can get to 220, or the cap or whatever, in 3 weeks? Of playtime, or actual time?

I have known people to do it in 2 weeks of actual time. But that's usually with pocket tanks all the way up until the several day grind of Inf mish's.

• Locked thread